Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Praying with Shoes/Sandals

Rate this topic

AliTanjiro

• Advanced Member

Salam waalaykoum 

so in the link provided it says earth is pure and walking a set amount on earth makes shoe Tahir therefore why can’t we pray with sandals on? The big toes have contact with the ground and also the main body parts is of coarse 7 points but the forehead is the only part that needs to touch earth eg turbah. Why can you pray with thick socks on but not shoes with thin soles or sandals. 

Couple hundreds of years even 1400 years ago people travelled a lot would they pray with sandals or take everything off? Now in regards to praying with shoes in a masjid people wouldn’t do that because of mud or earth dust particles spreading on carpets that’s why sunnis take of in masjid just like taking shoes off before entering house.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2140/

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Muhammad Al-Hurr said:

Salam,

As long as the toes touch the ground, you can wear shoes while praying.

I always take shoes off but why is it looked down upon and made fun of? Does that mean you can wear shoes like Nike that are thin material from where the toes are? It’s just like wearing thin socks? The main of the 7 parts required to touch earth is forehead . https://www.farfetch.com/au/shopping/men/nike-air-max-270-sneakers-item-12884954.aspx 

Edited by AliTanjiro

• Advanced Member
On 6/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, AliTanjiro said:

I always take shoes off but why is it looked down upon and made fun of?

Because you shouldn't wear shoes in the salah and it is better not to wear shoes out of respect to Allah. In 20:12 of the Quran Allah even tells Prophet Musa to take off his sandals before merely entering the Holy valley of Tuwa.

Edited by Muhammad Al-Hurr

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

What's funny is that 1400 years ago people would take their shoes off before entering masjid, even though there were no carpets inside and they would end up prostrating on earth and dust :einstein:

Thanks I was just wondering if they did lol since earth is Tahir and it cleans sandals. They would take it off as respect yes but is it haram to pray with sandals. I’ve seen Shias pray with shorts. Now in respect you’d cover up but according to some scholars it’s not haram to pray on shorts it’s just respect not to.

Edited by AliTanjiro

• Veteran Member
4 minutes ago, 786:) said:

So you can’t pray with socks on?

In many shoes or boots that would leave your toes hanging with not even any indirect contact. 

Anyway, prayer overall involves purity or cleanliness and detachment, this makes sense to take off shoes. Seems like an universal shariah. 

• Advanced Member
Just now, realizm said:

Anyway, prayer overall involves purity or cleanliness and detachment, this makes sense to take off shoes. Seems like an universal shariah. 

There's probably a humbling element too. I imagine it's more in uniform that a gathering of slaves are prostrating without any shoes.

• Advanced Member

I never pray with shoes or socks on. If I was going to go to the Masjid (I don't, but that's a long story) I would wear sandals so I could pray barefoot when I prayed there. I wear sandals practically everywhere I go anyway... I can't stand wearing socks and shoes for any reason other than working.

• Advanced Member
On 6/10/2021 at 11:52 AM, AliTanjiro said:

They would take it off as respect yes but is it haram to pray with sandals.

Salam praying  with Sandals is not Haram.

Why, despite the fact that in the narrations, prayer with shoes is allowed, but the jurists forbid praying with shoes?
question
In some narrations, it is commanded to offer prayers with shoes: "Chapter on shoes"! Or the Imams (عليه السلام) have been seen praying with their shoes on (Bahar, vol. 80, p. 275). What is the meaning of these shoes and what characteristics or conditions should they have? In what form or characteristics is prayer with shoes or shoes invalid?
Concise answer
There are narrations about praying with shoes and anointing on shoes that are also reliable in terms of documents and not all of them can be rejected. But what to watch out for; This is because the narrations have been narrated about the Arabic sandal, which is something like today's toe slippers, but the tip of which is wider and the toes hit the ground while prostrating. This ruling also exists in jurisprudence, and there is no problem in wearing what does not prevent the tip of the foot from reaching the ground 

Detailed answer
There are narrations about praying with Sandals and anointing on sandals:
1. Imam Sadigh (AS): "When you pray, if your sandals are clean, pray with your sandals, which is a tradition." [1]
۲. Narrator: I saw Imam Sadigh (عليه السلام) praying with his sandals many times and I never saw him praying without his sandals. [2]
3. Narrator: "I saw Imam Reza (عليه السلام) praying six or eight rak'ats (three or four two-rak'at prayers) on the tomb of the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) with his sandals." [3]
4. Imam Baqir (AS): Ali (عليه السلام) used to perform ablutions; "So his majesty  washed his face and hands, and then wiped his head and his sandals, and did not put his hand under the straps." [4]
Since some of the narrations are correct and can be cited; [5] Therefore, the jurists have accepted these narrations and have carried the sandals in the narration to the Arabic sandals. Therefore, it is permissible to pray with Arabic sandals: "Praying with Arabic sandals  is recommended and this is the fatwa of Shiite scholars. As it has been narrated from Imam Baqir (AS): "When you pray so pray in yor sandals... [6] إذا صلیت فصل فی نعلیک ... ».[6]
Anointing on the Arabic sandal is also permissible. [7]
Now we have to see what the Arabic shoes are, with which the prayer and anointing are without any problems.
Arabic sandals are like finger sandals, but the tip is lower; That is, the top and front of the foot are open and only the sole of the foot is covered [8]And a strap from the sole of the shoe came out from the side of the thumb of feet and was attached to the strap that is above the protrusion on the foot, and that joint strap was connected to the sole of the shoe on both sides and was the simplest type of slipper, in this case It is not necessary to anoint the feet. [9]

Modern Sandals [premissible ]One Finger Sandals Orange | DOGO Store Buy secritas Men's Flip-Flops and House Slippers at Amazon.in Strass And Gold One Finger Leather Sandals | Sandals, Gladiator sandals,  Leather sandals Here's How Your Home Slippers Can Boost Your Health          Traditional Arabic SandalsTraditional Arabic Sandals Shot Against A White Background Stock Photo,  Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 25971505.  الحرف التقليدية | الصفحة 2 | منتديات تونيزيـا سات

[1] . Sheikh Tusi, Tahdhib al-Ahkam, researcher and corrector: Mousavi Khorsani, Hassan, vol. 2, p. 234, Dar al-Kitab al-Islamiya, Tehran, fourth edition, 1407 AH.
[2] . Sheikh Harr Ameli, Wasa'il al-Shi'ah, vol. 4, p. 425, Al-Bayt (عليه السلام) Institute, Qom, first edition, 1409 AH.
[3] . Sheikh Saduq, Ayoun Akhbar al-Reza (عليه السلام), researcher and editor: Lajevardi, Mehdi, vol. 2, p. 17, Jahan Publishing, Tehran, first edition, 1999.
[4] Klini, Mohammad Ibn Ya'qub, Al-Kafi, researcher and proofreader: Ghaffari, Ali Akbar, Akhundi, Mohammad, vol. 3, p 31
[5] . Muqaddas Ardabili, Ahmad Ibn Mohammad, Majma 'al-Fa'ida wa al-Burhan fi Sharh Irshad al-Az'han, vol. 2, p. 101, Society of Teachers of the Seminary, Qom, first edition, 1403 AH; Majlisi I, Mohammad Taqi Ibn Maghsoud Ali Isfahani, Rawdat al-Muttaqin fi Sharh man La Yahdhra al-Faqih, vol. 2, p.833
[6] . Helli, researcher Najmuddin Ja'far ibn Hassan, Al-Mu'tabar Fi Sharh Al-Mukhtasar, vol. 2, p. 94, Sayyid al-Shuhada (عليه السلام) Institute, Qom, Iran, first edition, 1407 AH.
[7] . Tusi, Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn Hassan, Al-Mabsut Fi Fiqh Al-Imamiyyah, vol. 1, p. 22, Al-Murtadawiyyah Library for the Revival of Al-Jaafariyah Works, Tehran, third edition, 2008.
[8] . Tarihi, Fakhruddin, Maj'ma al Bahrain , Research: Hosseini, Seyed Ahmad, vol. 4, p. 353, Mortazavi Bookstore, Tehran, third edition, 1996.
[9] . Sheikh Saduq,Man La Yahdhra al-Faqih[ who do not attend to the jurisprudent], translation: Ghaffari, Ali Akbar, vol. 1, p. 64, Saduq Publishing, Tehran, first edition, 1988.

With this definition, it is clear that the rulings issued by the jurists were completely in accordance with the narrations; Because the jurists forbade wearing anything that prevents the toes of fingers of feet  while prostrating from reaching the ground: "If the shoe is at the foot of the worshiper and the leg is covered and the tip of the toe is prostrated on the ground, there is no harm." [10]
Therefore, if it is a shoe that prevents the tip of the finger from reaching the ground; It is not possible to pray with it, but if something like the Arabic sandals does not prevent the tip of the finger from reaching the ground, there is no problem in it and it is possible to pray with it, and these are the contents of the narrations. [11]
It is also clear from this explanation that a person can perform ablution with this slipper; Because by wearing this slipper, the whole surface of the foot, which is obligatory for ablution, is free, and there is no obstacle in this anointing.

[10] . Sheikh Ansari, Morteza Ibn Mohammad Amin, Sarat Al-Najat (Al-Mahshi), p. 103, World Congress in Honor of Sheikh Azam Ansari, Qom, first edition, 1415 AH.
[11] . Eshtehardi, Ali Panah, Madarek Al-Urwa, vol. 13, p. 408, Dar al-Uswa for printing and publishing, Tehran, first edition, 1417 AH.

image.jpeg.83d18e9f3cc32608c7f69763516fe348.jpeg

https://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/fa29823

On 6/9/2021 at 10:31 PM, realizm said:

:salam:

What's funny is that 1400 years ago people would take their shoes off before entering masjid, even though there were no carpets inside and they would end up prostrating on earth and dust :einstein:

see above which praying  with Sandals has no problem if the sandals are however it's become a universal  law to take off Sandals .

On 6/10/2021 at 8:57 PM, 786:) said:

So you can’t pray with socks on?

:censored:عکس نعلین امام خامنه ای که سوژه شبکه های خبری و اجتماعی شد - مجله نودیها:censored:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure that I heard Sayyed Sabah Shubbar saying that it's mustahab not to take them off if your toes can touch the ground like in some sandals, and this is not merely allowed. This is one of the rulings that most people do not know about. 

Edited by Mark Enlightment