Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Vacation ideas

Rate this topic

notme

• Moderators

I'm planning a (imaginary for now) family vacation. Where should we go? 

I've never planned a vacation before. 

• Advanced Member

Now ? During the pandemic ? I dunno...

But anyways, I reccommend many places in South America, mainly: Buenos Aires (Argentina's capital) or Quito (Ecuador's capital). Both are extremely beautiful cities and you'll remember these trips for your entire life. I also highly recommend Ushuaia (the southern-most city in the world, also in Argentina), if you have the money, of course.

Remember, I visited these cities before the pandemic, I don't know how's the situation there now. If you want more information, feel free to contact me privately.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Have you considered natural parks or reserves in your region?

Somewhere you could fish, go on forest walks, make outdoor fires and grill/bbq. 

That's my top choice, but none of my people like the idea. 

I want to take a month long driving trip across North America and visit a lot of National Parks, but my husband says a month is too long and my kids say that sounds boring. 

Maybe I should go by myself. 

Edited by notme

• Moderators
12 hours ago, notme said:

I want to take a month long driving trip across North America and visit a lot of National Parks, but my husband says a month is too long and my kids say that sounds boring. 

A month is probably long for the first time. How about starting with 3-4 days just so they get the feel of it?

Also what are your kids interested in? Maybe a city trip? 

• Forum Administrators
19 hours ago, notme said:

I want to take a month long driving trip across North America

Bill Bryson wrote up an account of his drive on Route 66, I think.

6 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

How about starting with 3-4 days just so they get the feel of it?

Yes you can do the following in 4-5 days.

You could take a flight to Tashkent, and then a local flight to Khiva. From there you drive back to Tashkent (with a driver) and you go through Bukhara and Samarkand. History all the way. Cheap food, halal and pretty well maintained sights.

It's an authoritarian police state so very safe.

[EDIT]: direct return fares from JFK are US$1500, so a bit pricey, but hotels etc are cheap.

[EDIT2]: you can take a private hire minibus from Bukhara down to Merv in Turkmenistan and then further down to Mashhad. 

• Veteran Member
17 hours ago, notme said:

:salam:

What do they like ? City trips ? 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Diaz said:

What about Middle East? 

My husband vetoed Egypt out of concern for his security clearance so I'm guessing no, though I'd love to someday. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, notme said:

Yeah, and theme parks. I was offering something less expensive and stressful. 

2-3 days at your nearest six flags then :) Some of these locations also seem to be quite scenic, like Cedar Point. 

Maybe you can negotiate 1-2 nights of camping and hiking in exchange for 2 days in a theme park. 

On 6/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, notme said:

I'm planning a (imaginary for now) family vacation. Where should we go? 

I've never planned a vacation before. 

How about Disneyland? Driving there would lower costs, you'll be able to sight-see on the way to California. Or Disney World in Florida--it's fun, great for kids, fun for adults, you can get a hotel nearby the parks without paying outrageous hotel fees. Some hotels also include breakfast.

If you have a costco membership, you can get discounted flights, paid entrance tickets, with hotel and food included depending on the package you get, and how many days you want to spend there. So worth it. Also, while you're there, you could go to Universal Studios (either in Florida or California) which is awesome as well. 

• Advanced Member

Not trying to pry into your private life, but where is it that you're currently living? I don't want to tell you to go somewhere that's in your backyard.

I have a few suggestions though

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Not trying to pry into your private life, but where is it that you're currently living? I don't want to tell you to go somewhere that's in your backyard.

I have a few suggestions though

East coast. Virginia. 

However, DC would be an option once the Smithsonian museums are not requiring masks on six year olds. (He has sensory issues and wearing a mask for extended time is very difficult for him. The rest of us would be fine.)

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, notme said:

East coast. Virginia. 

However, DC would be an option once the Smithsonian museums are not requiring masks on six year olds. (He has sensory issues and wearing a mask for extended time is very difficult for him. The rest of us would be fine.)

How about going camping out in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee? That's a place that I always like to visit because I find the nature to be very relaxing... save for the time that I saw a black bear-- that was pretty frightening but obviously I survived to tell about it.

I wouldn't recommend coming to Florida. Too many people these days and unless you're going to hit Disney, which is a good vacation but very pricey, there simply isn't that much down here that's really all that interesting; but remember that I have lived here for almost thirty years so I am very biased about it and am looking forward to when my mom & I move back to upstate NY in another year or two.

I wouldn't recommend New York City either. There's a lot to see and do up there, but it's a city for the wealthy now and although it is more family friendly than it was in the 70s and 80s, there's still a high chance of running into stuff that you aren't going to want a child to see on the streets.

I have never been out of the country, so I don't even know where to recommend on that level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

What about day trips? After breakfast (pack a lunch), drive out to some place interesting and have fun with your family. In the afternoon, drive back home and make dinner, then sleep in your own home. Do this as many days in a row as you like. Vacation at home (staycation) if too tired to go out again.