Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Quitting Gaming.

• Advanced Member

Assalamualaikum.

I have not quit gaming. Yes, it has nothing to do with the Akhirah, but by playing games such as Minecraft, it's not harmful or Makruh either. The games do not affect the amount of time I am worshipping Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) either.

Wassalam.

• Advanced Member

Playing video games in itself won't do any harm (if there's no haram in it obviously, like sexuality, excessive cursing and gore or other stuff), but when you spend +5 hours playing every single day it clearly becomes problematic. 

Salam, I support this decision of yours. And I cannot help but think it is a guidance from Allah. 

There's nothing wrong with playing video games, but if you want to be an exceptional success you cannot afford to spend your time on this lahoo. You can still play them and find success, but if you want to get the most out of this life then you should be spending your time working on your goals and focusing on family/community. If you want to get an A+ in this dunya, then you can't spend your time watching movies, tiktok, playing games, watching anime, spending money on merchandise.

Don't get me wrong, you can still do all that and become a doctor/engineer, but you're not going to impact history, you won't come close to your maximum potential, and you're not taking full advantage of the limited time Allah gave you. If you're stressed out then there are countless things you can do to take the pressure off, consuming media is not the only option we have. When the Imams wanted to kick back, they liked to spend time with their family. If I'm stressed out, I want to work on improving my situation so I don't get stressed that way again. Curing the illness instead of making the pain go away with a treatment.

Someone reading this might think I'm anti-games, but I think they're fine for kids and teenagers. They are great for bonding with family and friends. Young adults should be weaning off of it, and by the time you're over 28 it should be a once in a great while thing.

You were pretty into games and now you've snapped out of it, perhaps you are destined for greatness and Allah is removing distractions.

Edited by guest 2025

• Moderators

Excellent decision, alhamdulillah. It saddens me to see how many hours people lose over such things (nowadays it can also lead to inappropriate behaviour and interactions)

Personally I think social media is where a lot of time is lost. I recommend everyone to delete their social media and to limit their youtube time to one video per day. 

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Personally I think social media is where a lot of time is lost. I recommend everyone to delete their social media and to limit their youtube time to one video per day. 

That’s what I did for social media. My mental illness became better than before. About YouTube, I added a timer for 1 hr per day.

• Veteran Member

I think none here have played video games longer than I have. While it might not be a problem in some situations I agree. But I see two major problems in quitting.

1. Withdrawal. Just like drugs after a day or two you get flashbacks sort of of games and want to play again. Its the dopamine, the brain's reward system beginning to starve and you feel bored, which takes us to the next problem.

2. Time  and Boredom. What is boredom? Doing things like being idle or doing things you don't like. Especially in the presence of things you can do that are more interesting. Again this is up to the brain's reward system and dopamine.

In short when there are interesting things to do during free time I do not miss playing video games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Muhammed Ali said:

What is the appeal of social media? I find it hard to spend time with it.

its more of an addiction than an appeal that most ppl end up spending a lot of time on it

Like this post, follow  that person, receive a heart, receive a thumbs up; many people develop a reward system in their brain with release of some dopamine even leading to a vicious cycle much like recreational drugs

the way social media is used in this day and age, its cognitive enslavement

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

As a former gamer myself, I can tell you that you aren't losing anything by quitting gaming. You also aren't doing anything haram, so long as we are talking about video games and not gambling(in the US, we use the words 'gambling' and 'gaming' interchangelably), and there is no haram content, you are also not doing anything haram by playing games. I quit because I believe it is a big waste of time, and there are so many better, more productive things you could do. Also, the other reason why I quit is because I saw the trend going further and further as far a including haram content in games, and I didn't want to expose myself (potentially) to this. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

On 5/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, guest 2025 said:

If you want to get an A+ in this dunya, then you can't spend your time watching movies, tiktok, playing games, watching anime, spending money on merchandise

So basically, you think that there is no reason for de-stressing or self-care of any kind. 

OP: 

Video games are not inherently a time waster--some people love reading, some people love playing a board game, some people play a sport to decompress from the day--these are all forms of self-care. If you don't carve-out some time for mind-numbing activities (within reason), you're going to end-up a very stressed-out and unhappy individual. We aren't meant to stress ourselves out constantly with either the dunya nor the religion. We need at least 1-2 hours of relaxation throughout the day. It isn't anyone's business to judge you negatively for that. Watching tiktok, playing games, watching movies aren't activities meant for productivity--there are lots of funny videos, interesting games, and enjoyable movies to watch that help us recuperate. We aren't robots. 

11 hours ago, Guest Window said:

So basically, you think that there is no reason for de-stressing or self-care of any kind.

Yes, that is basically what I think. Amazing how you were able to extract my secret points from my straightforward post. I also think Hitler did nothing wrong and that we need to put a bullet in the head of everyone born in December. But that much is obvious to you, right?

13 hours ago, Guest Window said:

OP: 

Video games are not inherently a time waster--some people love reading, some people love playing a board game, some people play a sport to decompress from the day--these are all forms of self-care. If you don't carve-out some time for mind-numbing activities (within reason), you're going to end-up a very stressed-out and unhappy individual. We aren't meant to stress ourselves out constantly with either the dunya nor the religion. We need at least 1-2 hours of relaxation throughout the day. It isn't anyone's business to judge you negatively for that. Watching tiktok, playing games, watching movies aren't activities meant for productivity--there are lots of funny videos, interesting games, and enjoyable movies to watch that help us recuperate. We aren't robots. 

@ShiaOfMahdi Be careful, OP. People will try to make you fall when they see you try to make a positive change in your life.

This person right here is really shady. Because they used the name "Window," knowing that I'm a guest who posts here under that name (sometimes I also go by Pillow). And pay attention to how they tried to dismiss @guest 2025 's post by deliberately misunderstanding it, hoping that you will then dismiss his advice. 

I did not make this post. The fact that they tried to impersonate me tells you what you should think about what they say. Though I wonder what their intentions are, of course I was going to call them out. Maybe they think I also have an account and were hoping I'd accidentally respond on that one?

5 hours ago, Guest window (the real one) said:

@ShiaOfMahdi Be careful, OP. People will try to make you fall when they see you try to make a positive change in your life.

This person right here is really shady. Because they used the name "Window," knowing that I'm a guest who posts here under that name (sometimes I also go by Pillow). And pay attention to how they tried to dismiss @guest 2025 's post by deliberately misunderstanding it, hoping that you will then dismiss his advice. 

I did not make this post. The fact that they tried to impersonate me tells you what you should think about what they say. Though I wonder what their intentions are, of course I was going to call them out. Maybe they think I also have an account and were hoping I'd accidentally respond on that one?

Dude, what? 

There are have been many people posting as "window" "psychological warfare", etc. I dont think you can claim any guest name. It's not about "impersonation" -- how do we know you're the "real" window? I've been posting as window longer than you've been here, whoever you are. 

I literally stated my opinion. It's fine to limit games, movies, etc., but eliminating them is not the answer, which other people have also said. Nothing shady about that. @guest 2025 has a habit, as a poster, to recommend extremes. Maybe he needs to communicate better what he is trying to say, and nor resort to blanket statements like "all forms of entertainment and relaxation are useless, so get rid of them." 

5 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

Yes, that is basically what I think. Amazing how you were able to extract my secret points from my straightforward post. I also think Hitler did nothing wrong and that we need to put a bullet in the head of everyone born in December. But that much is obvious to you, right?

You said:

"You cannot get an A+ in this world if you spend it playing video games and watching movies, tiktok, etc." When doing your wajibats have nothing to do with what you just said.

And there we got again: getting defensive at every turn. If you cannot communicate an idea clearly, then maybe you shouldnt say anything at all. Please tone down the anger. It's not healthy. It's uncalled for and it's silly. 

Dude, what? 

There are have been many people posting as "window" "psychological warfare", etc. I dont think you can claim any guest name. It's not about "impersonation" -- how do we know you're the "real" window? I've been posting as window longer than you've been here, whoever you are. 

I literally stated my opinion. It's fine to limit games, movies, etc., but eliminating them is not the answer, which other people have also said. Nothing shady about that. @guest 2025 has a habit, as a poster, to recommend extremes. Maybe he needs to communicate better what he is trying to say, and nor resort to blanket statements like "all forms of entertainment and relaxation are useless, so get rid of them." 

You said:

"You cannot get an A+ in this world if you spend it playing video games and watching movies, tiktok, etc." When doing your wajibats have nothing to do with what you just said.

And there we got again: getting defensive at every turn. If you cannot communicate an idea clearly, then maybe you shouldnt say anything at all. Please tone down the anger. It's not healthy. It's uncalled for and it's silly. 

Is this the same person who got really weird when I mentioned art history to make a point? Though why am I asking since even if you were you wouldn't admit it. I don't know what you're trying but it's not working. You might think people are reading your posts and considering what you have to say, but we're not. Because we've been dealing with people like you in comment sections and forums for a loooooooong time. I won't even bother to defend myself because I know others know what my points are, and so do you. Perhaps your constructed strawman can console you.

I've also never heard of people sharing distinct guest names. Every time I see Psychological Warfare I assume it's the same person, same with Window. There's also person who goes by Monad. You using these specific names will make people think someone has said something that they haven't. Just come up with your own unique guest name so it can be easier to identify guests who frequently post. But maybe you don't have to do that. We'd know it's you.

Ignored

Edited by guest 2025

• Advanced Member

I largely quit keeping up with video games years ago. I was really into Call of Duty: Black Ops when it first came out, but then I got to thinking about how I was essentially playing a murder simulator that is pushed by the society to desensitize young men to war and I lost the ability to play it with a clear conscience. I was still a Christian when this happened, and I largely quit playing video games after that, having only played a handful of 3DS titles like "A Link Between Worlds" and some of the Final Fantasies on the original DS.

I still play video games to an extent, but only old stuff that's from the NES and Super NES era. I do still play the original 1993 DooM a lot, but you're killing zombies and monsters in that game, not people. It's also not super realistic and looks even a bit cartoony at points, so it doesn't bother me the way the Call of Duty games do. Last night I beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES port) for the first time in my life and I've been playing that game since I was about five years old.

But no, I do not keep up with new video games. Too much violence and sex stuff in them now which made them lose the charm that they had for me when I was a kid, but I can still play a mean game of Super Mario Bros 3, Metroid, or The Legend of Zelda.

• Advanced Member
On 5/26/2021 at 1:44 AM, Mahdavist said:

Personally I think social media is where a lot of time is lost

I haven't used social media in over a year. It was depressing me to see how out of everyone I knew, my life was the most disorganized and I had accomplished the least-- so I stopped exposing myself to it. Now social media is essentially being used to censor people for taking moral stands, so I feel like I made the right choice in getting off of it.

As far as YouTube goes, I am not allowed to upload or comment on there for another three years or else I go back to jail, but I watch a lot of AhlulBayt TV and listen to Islamic lectures on there. Occasionally I use it to watch documentaries but usually I go to Thoughtmaybe for those because they don't have parts that are critical of Big Tech or the Democrat party censored out of them on the latter platform.

I do not really watch entertainment movies at all. A friend gave me a DVD months ago and I feel bad because I haven't watched it yet, but I simply can't usually justify sitting in front of a TV for two hours to watch a fictional movie anymore. Most of my time now I'm either reading science fiction (Dune & the Sprawl Trilogy), history books about the soviet union/cold war, riding the exercise bike, playing disc golf or cooking and doing chores so my mom doesn't have to.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I haven't used social media in over a year. It was depressing me to see how out of everyone I knew, my life was the most disorganized and I had accomplished the least-- so I stopped exposing myself to it

I had the same problem, that’s why I deleted my Instagram and Facebook. 

As far as YouTube goes, I am not allowed to upload or comment on there for another three years or else I go back to jail,

Omg, why? What happened? Don’t share if u r not comfortable, it’s ok brother.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I haven't used social media in over a year. It was depressing me to see how out of everyone I knew, my life was the most disorganized and I had accomplished the least-- so I stopped exposing myself to it. Now social media is essentially being used to censor people for taking moral stands, so I feel like I made the right choice in getting off of it.

You made the right choice, but not for the reason you think. It's not that your life is the most disorganized, it's that, of all the people in your social media group, you were the least 'good' at playing the social media game. The social media game is to pretend to make your life seem interesting, organized, accomplished, etc. It has nothing to do with the reality of your life, it has to do with the image you present of your life on social media. Those are two completely different things. You just weren't that good at that particular game, which is a blessing in disguise, because IMHO, most of social media is just a complete waste of time. You will be much happier and healthier in the long run if you do extra salat, say dua, go out for a walk, call a relative or friend you haven't talked to in a while, etc. All these things will improve your life, in reality, more than wasting time playing the social media game. 

A simple proof of this is that you see many celebrities' and influencers who seem like they are living the most fabulous life. Then you hear that that committed suicide, had to go into drug rehab, etc. Noone commits suicide or gets hooked on drugs if they actually have a great life and are happy. They only do this when their life is horrible, based mostly on what they have done to themselves and trauma in the past that they have a hard time dealing with. It seems to you like their life is really great, but this is just an illusion they create for you, it has nothing to do with the reality of their life. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Forum Administrators
On 5/26/2021 at 9:44 AM, Mahdavist said:

I recommend everyone to delete their social media and to limit their youtube time to one video per day.

Does that include sugar glider videos?

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

The social media game is to pretend to make your life seem interesting, organized, accomplished, etc. It has nothing to do with the reality of your life, it has to do with the image you present of your life on social media. Those are two completely different things. You just weren't that good at that particular game, which is a blessing in disguise, because IMHO, most of social media is just a complete waste of time.

I had kind of figured that this was the case. When I used social media, I was brutally honest about what was going on in my life and didn't spruce it up to fit in with people. I think it's because I was hoping that these people would give me support and encouragement due to living with a mental health disease. Not so, they were all wholly absorbed in portraying themselves as perfect and not having any problems at all either in work, health, or family life and that's when I realized that the most important skills in playing the social media game are lying and deception; and I broke away from FB and Instagram because I'm not going to wear a smile and pretend that everything is great when I'm hurting on the inside and need support from people who call themselves "friends" but never have time to talk to you, share a meal, or even offer up words of encouragement. I was told by people "You're too negative" because I asked people to pray for me that I would find a better job... I guess I should have just lied about what I was doing at the time so that I could "fit in" better on FB.

Well I'm not interested in "fitting in", I'm interested in being honest about my life and portraying myself as a real person and not an idealized image of myself wherein I deceive others and myself about the realities of this challenging and sometimes flat out painful thing called life. I'm glad that I'm not good at the social media "game" in that regard. Besides, social media is also just a way of private corporations keeping tabs on you and what you're doing so that they can more effectively advertise goods and services to you by playing off your pain and insecurities; and I know that police and government uses it to spy on people as well: they trick them into volunteering up all sorts of private information by making it look "fun" when it's just depressing and intrusive.

I still get emails from FB and Instagram asking me to "come back" because they make money by creating profiles on people that are later sold to advertisers for a lot of money and you, the user, are not compensated at all for generating that data. I have had jobs turn me down because I don't have social media profiles that they can use to find out everything about my life, and knowing that they are those types of companies, I realized I wouldn't want to work for them anyway. Work is not something that I make into a reason to live, work is something I see as undesirable but has to be done in order to eat, clothe myself, keep a roof over my head, so on and so forth. I look for jobs that I can go to, focus on while I'm there, and when the end of the day comes, leave. I don't like to be obsessing over my work or taking it into my home with me and with social media, your work often becomes the defining focus of your life. I want the defining focus of my life to be my faith and how I put that into practice in dealing with other people and the larger world around me, not how I earn money.

So thank you for your words of support. They mean a lot because people have tried to tell me that I'm "abnormal" for disconnecting from social media.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I had kind of figured that this was the case. When I used social media, I was brutally honest about what was going on in my life and didn't spruce it up to fit in with people. I think it's because I was hoping that these people would give me support and encouragement due to living with a mental health disease. Not so, they were all wholly absorbed in portraying themselves as perfect and not having any problems at all either in work, health, or family life and that's when I realized that the most important skills in playing the social media game are lying and deception; and I broke away from FB and Instagram because I'm not going to wear a smile and pretend that everything is great when I'm hurting on the inside and need support from people who call themselves "friends" but never have time to talk to you, share a meal, or even offer up words of encouragement. I was told by people "You're too negative" because I asked people to pray for me that I would find a better job... I guess I should have just lied about what I was doing at the time so that I could "fit in" better on FB.

Well I'm not interested in "fitting in", I'm interested in being honest about my life and portraying myself as a real person and not an idealized image of myself wherein I deceive others and myself about the realities of this challenging and sometimes flat out painful thing called life. I'm glad that I'm not good at the social media "game" in that regard. Besides, social media is also just a way of private corporations keeping tabs on you and what you're doing so that they can more effectively advertise goods and services to you by playing off your pain and insecurities; and I know that police and government uses it to spy on people as well: they trick them into volunteering up all sorts of private information by making it look "fun" when it's just depressing and intrusive.

I still get emails from FB and Instagram asking me to "come back" because they make money by creating profiles on people that are later sold to advertisers for a lot of money and you, the user, are not compensated at all for generating that data. I have had jobs turn me down because I don't have social media profiles that they can use to find out everything about my life, and knowing that they are those types of companies, I realized I wouldn't want to work for them anyway. Work is not something that I make into a reason to live, work is something I see as undesirable but has to be done in order to eat, clothe myself, keep a roof over my head, so on and so forth. I look for jobs that I can go to, focus on while I'm there, and when the end of the day comes, leave. I don't like to be obsessing over my work or taking it into my home with me and with social media, your work often becomes the defining focus of your life. I want the defining focus of my life to be my faith and how I put that into practice in dealing with other people and the larger world around me, not how I earn money.

So thank you for your words of support. They mean a lot because people have tried to tell me that I'm "abnormal" for disconnecting from social media.

I'm glad I could help in any small way. I'm like you in that way. I'm not interested in crafting an image of my life for other people I don't even know. Some people enjoy doing that, thus why social media is so popular. The main thing you always have to keep in your mind is that the Rizk, the Salam (peace), the Kheir (goodness) all come from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), so ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for those things. Other people like you are only a channel or a mechanism that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) uses to bring these things to you, just like you are a channel to bring these things to other people. What you and I actually control is actually very little. Some people pretend like they have more control, but it is just an illusion. We are all the same, in that we all have our challenges, we are all 'messed up' in one way or another whether you want to call that mental illness, anxiety, etc. Some people look at this a a defect, some look at it as an opportunity. How it affects your life depends on how you look at it. 

I have posted before about the way I was and still am to an extent, 'messed up'. When I was younger, I had an extremely bad temper and I was kicked out of three schools for getting in fights. There was a point in my life where if you saw me, you would cross over to the other side of the street just to avoid me. My family thought that literally I had lost my mind and were trying to put me in a mental hospital. It was at that point where I did a dua and asked God , 'If you really exist, give me a sign and I will follow what you want me to follow after that'. I call this the revert's dua because every story I have heard of reverts is that they made this dua, or something similar to this. Anyway, I received my ayat or sign and then after that I attempted to live my life according to what is true and correct, which is the religion of Islam. Anyway, it took years of struggle but I made alot of progress and it's been 10 years since I got into a physical confrontation or fight with someone. So it happens, just be patient. Salam. 

• Advanced Member

With all of the challenges and problems I face, whether they were caused by my own bad behavior or are something out of my control, once I finished reading the Quran I began to look at them as unique sets of opportunities to live the life that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants me to live, because he is the author and finisher of my story and none of the things that I've done or suffer through would be happening if he didn't want to test me with them. There was a time when I would have looked at this and said "Wow, what a terrible being God is for doing this to me!" but as I read through the Quran it softened my heart and made me realize that I really have no right to say these things at all, because I am not Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and therefore, cannot hope to even begin to understand His methods or his tests.

I also began looking at it this way: I live in America. I am for the most part, safe here. I have plenty to eat and drink, a roof over my head, and a family that takes care of me as I deal with my illness. By virtue of this alone, I have been blessed beyond what billions of people in this world can even imagine. So the difficult things that happen to me, whether they are caused by my own bad choices or entirely out of my control, are tests that were put before me to not only see if I will submit, but to remind me of exactly how good I have it and thus, be grateful to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that he did not create me to live in somewhere like China or the occupied territories of Palestine where I would have to worry about getting enough food or being killed by oppressors every day. By virtue of this alone I have absolutely no right to complain or blame Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for what essentially amount to very small tests to see if I will live for Him or whether I will be one of the ones who turns on his heels and enters into the fire. I never looked at it like this before in my life, but began to see things through this lens once I finished reading the final surah of the Quran the other day. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) does not ask much from me since he has blessed me with material abundance (even the poor in America are rich beyond the wildest dreams of people in other countries), just that in dealing with the mistakes I have made in my life, that I commit to living for Him from here on out.

Sometimes in the past I have cursed the fact that I live in this country because the society over here is not "Islamic enough" when it comes to books on jurisprudence that I've read, but again, I have realized that I live here for a purpose and that purpose is to cling to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and allow His light to shine through me onto & through my society. I'm not saying that I have some great, grand destiny to be an important person or lead some sort of a Islamic awakening in my country, but I'm definitely where I am at in life for a purpose and my goal is to understand that purpose and do what I am supposed to do to let that light shine through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 6/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, Abdul-Hadi said:

I largely quit keeping up with video games years ago. I was really into Call of Duty: Black Ops when it first came out, but then I got to thinking about how I was essentially playing a murder simulator that is pushed by the society to desensitize young men to war and I lost the ability to play it with a clear conscience. I was still a Christian when this happened, and I largely quit playing video games after that, having only played a handful of 3DS titles like "A Link Between Worlds" and some of the Final Fantasies on the original DS.

I still play video games to an extent, but only old stuff that's from the NES and Super NES era. I do still play the original 1993 DooM a lot, but you're killing zombies and monsters in that game, not people. It's also not super realistic and looks even a bit cartoony at points, so it doesn't bother me the way the Call of Duty games do. Last night I beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES port) for the first time in my life and I've been playing that game since I was about five years old.

But no, I do not keep up with new video games. Too much violence and sex stuff in them now which made them lose the charm that they had for me when I was a kid, but I can still play a mean game of Super Mario Bros 3, Metroid, or The Legend of Zelda.

I only play games like Ring Fit Adventure and ARMS on Switch. I also find them better than Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Don't get me wrong, I used to love them as a kid but after having played Ring Fit Adventure and ARMS along with Mario Tennis Aces, I can't seem to go back. The Switch is worth getting for Ring Fit Adventures, Splatoon 2 and 3, Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Golf: Super Rush, and ARMS. Splatoon and ARMS are kid friendly games along with Ring Fit Adventure which teaches kids to be active. I am changing my lifestyle to a more active one.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, ShiaOfMahdi said:

I am changing my lifestyle to a more active one.

I'm doing the same thing. Or at least trying to. I'm actually about to go hit the exercise bike.

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I'm doing the same thing. Or at least trying to. I'm actually about to go hit the exercise bike.

I am doing bike riding more often. Ring Fit Adventure is getting me fit as well since it's risky for me to go to a gym in the pandemic. The exercises are great in the game along with the stretches and it does a better job at getting kids as well as adults active than Wii Fit did.

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, ShiaOfMahdi said:

Ring Fit Adventure is getting me fit as well since it's risky for me to go to a gym in the pandemic.

I’m dying to try it, it’s in sales now just need my parents approval so that I can buy it.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, ShiaOfMahdi said:

I am doing bike riding more often. Ring Fit Adventure is getting me fit as well since it's risky for me to go to a gym in the pandemic. The exercises are great in the game along with the stretches and it does a better job at getting kids as well as adults active than Wii Fit did.

I don't have a Switch yet and the chances of me having the money to get one are very slim. Part of me wishes I still could justify sitting down with a game like Dragon Quest or whatever because playing video games was a big part of my youth, but they're just so complex now that I can't really make my way through them as well as I used to when I was a kid. Most RPGs have so many side quests and so much other stuff that is a part of them like weapon-forging/item synthesis etc that I can't possibly understand it all anymore and it's a shame because I love the Dragon Quest games and want to play the new ones, I just feel like they're going to be too complex to handle compared to games like Dragon Quest III, Final Fantasy Tactics, so on and so forth.

And I just did 6.25 miles on the bike & burned 151 calories in a half hour. That's pretty good for me but I wish I could stay on for a full hour without my legs and butt getting sore/tired.

I don't have a Switch yet and the chances of me having the money to get one are very slim. Part of me wishes I still could justify sitting down with a game like Dragon Quest or whatever because playing video games was a big part of my youth, but they're just so complex now that I can't really make my way through them as well as I used to when I was a kid. Most RPGs have so many side quests and so much other stuff that is a part of them like weapon-forging/item synthesis etc that I can't possibly understand it all anymore and it's a shame because I love the Dragon Quest games and want to play the new ones, I just feel like they're going to be too complex to handle compared to games like Dragon Quest III, Final Fantasy Tactics, so on and so forth.

And I just did 6.25 miles on the bike & burned 151 calories in a half hour. That's pretty good for me but I wish I could stay on for a full hour without my legs and butt getting sore/tired.

Wow never thought I'd hear that series mentioned on Shiachat. I also am a fan of the series, but like you I can't keep up with it anymore since it costs too much time and energy. Instead I just watched a walkthrough of the latest game and it hit the spot just as if I bought it and played it.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I mostly stopped playing video games after my older online friends became more busy with life, but now I'm struggling to find other things to fill my time with. After coming home from work, doing homework, and working out, I'm not really sure what to do. I got a few books from the library but no motivation to read them

Edited by Uni Student

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I think gaming islike any other entertainment. Too much or not the right type is bad. 

But gaming has a unique problem it give a false sense if reward that can be very detrimental and prohibitive 

Eg you play a fighting game and get good. You could have spent that time learning a martial art and actually fighting. Same with shooting or sports games. It's a false sense of achievement, better to go out and learn that skill and maybe play the game infrequently for a bit of enjoyment.

Edited by Ali bin Hussein