Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How do you fill the void in your heart?

Rate this topic

• Moderators

This is a big problem, not a small one.

Depression is a medical issue and can usually be treated. If you are not experiencing depression, the best you can do is introspection, trying to keep yourself busy, and make yourself practice spiritual acts even if you don't feel like it. 

Duas for your health and happiness. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 8:19 PM, Kratos said:

there's been a void in my heart for a good few years now, and it just won't go away.

Wow - this is a really honest reflection.  There are many people who wouldn't admit to that.  The prophet Solomon when he reflected on life wrote the following:

Ecclesiastes 3:11  He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

I would suggest that the emprtiness you feel in your heart is your soul calling out for an intimacy with the eternal creator.  We were made to have a relationship with God and when that personal, intimate, resting in God is not present, we feel there is something missing in our life.

People try all kinds of things to fill the void.  I don't know what you have tried.  Some use religious activities, some go for money, others try immoral living, still others fill their time with work.  But these are treating the symptom not the illness.  They do not satisfy.

I follow Jesus the Messiah.  I have found that committing my life to him and his teaching as revealed in the Holy Injil has filled the void in my life and gives me daily satisfaction, peace, joy and hope.   In The Holy Injil John chapter 14 Jesus is  reported as saying

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Edited by Dave follower of The Way
submited before finishing!

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salam - 

I am guessing the details you don’t want to get into is the reason you are feeling this way, and if the issue still Persist, then regardless if you practice or not you will feel this way. Sorry! 

In regards to religion, it offered a ease for you pain, out of contentment and trust in the will of Allah, religion doesn’t magically make your problems disappears but give u ease and hope that there is a plan.. (unless u make dua) 

To help fill the void in your heart, you need to first identify the source of your void. What is it related to ? I think only by knowing this you can find a cure from inside yourself. And you probably deep down Know what’s bothering you. 

maybe get a pen a paper and just start writing how you feel, the words will flow and eventually you can  identify your issue. 

once you clearly know what’s messing with you, you can then take some time to literally take it in. If it hurt, it hurts. And once you are ready, you can then plan how to overcome ur difficulties. 

remember you only drown if you stay in water. Don’t let yourself drown in your void. 

There are many none Muslim friends who I have, who do not practice or even believe in god... but ultimately they are not sad or express themselves as having a void. This indicates the issue isn’t you don’t practice, the issue is to do with either a social, economical or mental problem. Obviously It would be ignorant of me to pinpoint what it is as I’m not aware but you are.  

I’m afraid there isn’t a generic way to resolve your void, it’s personal. The answer is within you. 

my Duas are with you and as @notme said, this isn’t a small issue. Maybe if you let people know what the issue is, people in similar situation can explain it better and make you feel better or give tips on how they felt better etc   

And some also suggest going to a therapy. You can even do it virtually. Etc 

Look into yourself, and resolve the problem before it completely takes you over.  Sorry if I made it sound easy, but I appreciate this can be very difficult and hard.  

I also feel like this as I seem to be getting a problem arising every year or two LOL! But Alhamduillah, I have grown so much I loved all my past difficulties now.. it really has shaped me today. 

may Allah bless you 

Edited by S Hussain

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 8:19 PM, Kratos said:

It's made me lose interest in basically everything in life.

Hi - I've been thinking about your situation.  It maybe helpful to talk to your doctor or another professional who will listen and give you some advice.

Loosing interest in life must be a really hard place to be.  God has made such a wonderful world for us to enjoy.  As has been said getting involved with other people to help and support them through charity work can help us to see our own situation in perspective.  It also gives us something to fill our free time and use our energy.

I've found that regular out door exercise like hicking, running or cycling can give us a dose of "well being". 

I've found that along with these things, spending time reading God's word and listening to his voice maybe in the scilence of the morning or evening really helps.

There is a 'Christian' form of prayer called "Examen".  In it, we’re invited to encounter God, express gratitude for the gift and gifts of each day, and to commit to make up for any mistakes we may have made. It is a time at the end of each day to review, reflect and look forward.  Inviting God into your daily routeen and noticing the times he has engaged with you really helps to give life a new meaning and dimension.

https://www.pathwaystogod.org/my-prayer-life/examen

It may just be ten minutes a day but it can be transformational.

Edited by Dave follower of The Way