Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does it make sense to stop praying daily so you can focus on missed prayers

Rate this topic

Guest ring

Salam,

I have to make up many years and it is weighing heavy on my shoulders. I want to make them up but doing it and the daily salah is quite heavy on me.

Is it okay if I stop doing daily salah and focus on making up late prayers, and then when I've caught up I simply resume?

The logic in my mind is that when I die it is the debt that will be looked at, so me skipping the daily salah and at the end of the day doing one day's worth from 5 years ago would be equal in the book. And so would me skipping the salahs that come up, but doing like 3 days missed each night be better? I cannot help but think that this logic is satanic, even if it make sense. That it may be a trick to kick me off praying.

• Moderators

Wa alaikum as salam

No this doesn't really make sense.

From a logical perspective, you are not 'reducing' your missed prayers in this manner.

From a religious perspective, it is a major sin to intentionally miss prayers.

Either way it's not a good idea.

Make sure you absolutely and strictly establish your obligatory prayers, and try to fit in the outstanding ones where you can. 

• Advanced Member

Salam,

6 hours ago, Guest ring said:

so me skipping the daily salah and at the end of the day doing one day's worth from 5 years ago would be equal in the book

No, that is incorrect as intentionally skipping salah is a major sin. It is obligatory to perform the qadha' prayers but it is even more wajib to perform the daily prayers.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I wish I lived in a government that put you in a rehab if you don't pray. I could have used it as a teenager. 

Back in the day society would help you with your problems, now it causes them. There's a story of a man who was a masturbator. I think he went to Imam Ali (or maybe he was brought to him), and Imam Ali struck the man's hand until it turned red. And do you know what he did after that? He got the man a freaking wife to prevent him from committing the act again. That is mind-blowing to me how a problem that would take 5-6+ years to fix in the modern world is solved almost instantly because the society was set up right and had a just leader. I hope we can enjoy this when the Imam of the Zaman s.a reappears. 

Edited by guest 2025
Guest ring

Okay thanks guys.

Though just to make me feel even more certain, could you further dismantle the satanic logic?

Here is the logic:

Say I have 200 days to make up, so I'm 200 days in debt. I stop doing the daily prayers and spend 30 days making up all the late prayers. Then, at the end of the month I am 30 days in debt. Let's say I die at the end of the 30 days. Wouldn't I be in a better position since my debt was brought down from 200 to 30?

This is the logic that I need you to debunk. Until I am convinced in my heart that it illogical the whispers will always say this to me.

Guest Guest 123

Brother, if you're making time for the 200 prayers over the month, why not swap out a set of missed prayers for the daily obligatory prayers? That way you'll end up in the same situation as you described above, but having had committed "less" sins overall. i.e. 30 days will still be due, but intentionally missing a prayer might be worse than delaying a missed prayer.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Guest ring said:

Okay thanks guys.

Though just to make me feel even more certain, could you further dismantle the satanic logic?

Here is the logic:

Say I have 200 days to make up, so I'm 200 days in debt. I stop doing the daily prayers and spend 30 days making up all the late prayers. Then, at the end of the month I am 30 days in debt. Let's say I die at the end of the 30 days. Wouldn't I be in a better position since my debt was brought down from 200 to 30?

This is the logic that I need you to debunk. Until I am convinced in my heart that it illogical the whispers will always say this to me.

Salam

No, correct logic is you keep your daily prayers and add one day of catch-up to each day. That way you will be 'evens' in 200 days without committing the sin of skipping a daily prayer again. 

Or in 100 days if you add two everyday. And so on. 

What matters is intention to pay your debt, as in a monetary one. 

Edited by realizm
  • Advanced Member

Also note that if you have the sincere intention of making up all your missed prayers, and you are working towards it, but for some reason you die earlier than expected then your prayers count as having been made up. That's what I've heard at least, because you are rewarded for a pure intention

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Guest Guest 123 said:

Brother, if you're making time for the 200 prayers over the month, why not swap out a set of missed prayers for the daily obligatory prayers?

Exactly.

To OP: If you are able to find the time to pray missed prayers I fail to see why you can't pray your normal obligatory prayers of the day? 

If you were going to pray 3 days worth of prayers in one day, surely one set should be the current ones and the two remaining the missed ones?

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, Guest ring said:

Okay thanks guys.

Here is the logic:

You must learn not to be in debt then you can start the payback of your old debt.

Because there is no guarantee that you can pay your current accumulated debt on time, let alone you make efforts to pay old debts by introducing new debts.

The condition of God to accept our prayers is that we don't miss our current prayers and do the make up prayers that we missed.  With good intention, God will accept our current prayers and if we die whole trying to make up our missed prayers, God may forgive us for making effort and good intention.  

Guest ring

I'm not diagnosed, but I suspect I have adhd, which is why I considered this. I find that I can only do things if I focus ONLY on it. And I am only able to work if I get myself into a flow of sorts, any disruption throws me off track.

Which is why I thought I could succeed if I focused only on making up late prayers. My brain (or the shaitan) doesn't register them as the same thing, they're two distinct and separate activities. I think this could not be an issue if I got into shape, since I heard that exercise and fitness helps a ton with adhd. Until then I strongly, strongly doubt I'll make up late prayers. I set off to perform many of then at the start of April, but so far all I have to show is 3 days and 7 fajirs.

A good solution is to pray one extra every day, and if I die before I make them up (it would take years) then it's all good with Allah as some have said. The problem is that I can't enjoy my salahs with this black debt on my shoulders. I feel like a man in crippling debt spending money. I feel a strong urgency to get rid of my debt asap, because if I do the one salah a day thing, then I would spend over 10 years not enjoying my salah.

• Advanced Member
On 5/17/2021 at 1:45 AM, Guest ring said:

Salam,

I have to make up many years and it is weighing heavy on my shoulders. I want to make them up but doing it and the daily salah is quite heavy on me.

Is it okay if I stop doing daily salah and focus on making up late prayers, and then when I've caught up I simply resume?

The logic in my mind is that when I die it is the debt that will be looked at, so me skipping the daily salah and at the end of the day doing one day's worth from 5 years ago would be equal in the book. And so would me skipping the salahs that come up, but doing like 3 days missed each night be better? I cannot help but think that this logic is satanic, even if it make sense. That it may be a trick to kick me off praying.

Hey man why not throw your self on the mercy of the loving forgiving God who is waiting with open arms to recieve the penitent sinner?  God loves to forgive.  He has made a way for our sins to be forgotten and to create in us a clean heart and restore a right spirit with in us.

God does not set out to burden us with counting up our prayers.  Jesus the Messiah called out to those who were strugling with formal religion. (Injil Matthew chapter 11)

28 ‘Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.’

Prayer is joyful conversation with our loving creator not something to be chalked up on a score board.  Just rest in God and talk with him and listen to his words of comfort and challenge.

C

Guest Guest 123
On 5/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, Guest ring said:

I'm not diagnosed, but I suspect I have adhd, which is why I considered this. I find that I can only do things if I focus ONLY on it. And I am only able to work if I get myself into a flow of sorts, any disruption throws me off track.

Which is why I thought I could succeed if I focused only on making up late prayers. My brain (or the shaitan) doesn't register them as the same thing, they're two distinct and separate activities. I think this could not be an issue if I got into shape, since I heard that exercise and fitness helps a ton with adhd. Until then I strongly, strongly doubt I'll make up late prayers. I set off to perform many of then at the start of April, but so far all I have to show is 3 days and 7 fajirs.

A good solution is to pray one extra every day, and if I die before I make them up (it would take years) then it's all good with Allah as some have said. The problem is that I can't enjoy my salahs with this black debt on my shoulders. I feel like a man in crippling debt spending money. I feel a strong urgency to get rid of my debt asap, because if I do the one salah a day thing, then I would spend over 10 years not enjoying my salah.

I wouldn't count on motivation to get through your debt, rather try to develop a habit of praying the extra set(s).

Try to incorporate extra prayers slowly, i.e. a single prayer every month, so over a course of 5 months you've doubled your extra prayers, this should allow you enough time for the habit to stick.

I would keep adding a single prayer every month until you start feeling a bit overwhelmed, then scale it back a bit.

The second piece of advice would be to learn what the bare minimum is required for a prayer to be valid, this should help cut down on the time commitment. I believe, you'd be able to finish a set of prayers in about 15-16 mins.

Thirdly, try to write and maintain a will instructing relatives to complete the prayers on your behalf or save enough to hire someone to pray them for you. This shouldn't be used as an excuse to not pray the extras, rather can be seen as an insurance policy.

Finally, most people would be bothered by the fact that they have a set of missed prayers, so as you start to become consistent with your extra prayers, the regret you feel should subside and inshallah you'd be able to start enjoying your prayers. 

• 2 weeks later...