Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Aliyun WaliUllah in Tashahhud?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalamualaikum.

In tashahhud, I recite:

“Ashadu an la ilaha illAllahu wahdahulah sharika la

Wa ashadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluh

Wa ashadu anna Amirul Momineen Aliyun Waliuhu wa hujjatuh

Allahumma salli ala Muhammadinw wa ali Muhammad”

I have seen on YouTube that the Imams would recite Aliyun WaliUllah in tashahhud but inshallah can someone get me more evidence?

Wassalam.

• Advanced Member

:salam:

Question: Is it permissible to recite the third testimony (Shahadat Salisa) in Tashahhud?

Answer: You should perform the Tashahhud in the same as explained in the book of Islamic Laws (Resalah). Find the book on our website.

——>
Ruling 1086. In the second rakʿah of all obligatory and recommended prayers, and in the third rakʿah of maghrib prayers, and in the fourth rakʿah of ẓuhr, ʿaṣr and ʿishāʾ prayers, one must sit [in a kneeling type of position] after the second sajdah; and while his body is still, he must say tashahhud, i.e.:

أَشْهَدُ أَن لَّا إِلٰهَ إِلاَّ اللهُ وَحْدَهُ لَا شَرِیكَ لَهُ، وَ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا عَبْدُهُ وَ رَسُولُهُ، اَللّٰهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلَىٰ مُحَمَّدٍ وَّ آلِ مُحَمَّدٍ

ashhadu al lā ilāha illal lāhu waḥdahu lā sharīka lah, wa ashhadu anna muḥammadan ʿabduhu wa rasūluh, allāhumma ṣalli ʿalā muḥammadiw wa āli muḥammad

And it is sufficient for one to say:

أَشْهَدُ أَن لَّا إِلٰهَ إِلاَّ اللهُ، وَ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا صَلَّی اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَ آلِهِ
عَبْدُهُ وَ رَسُولُهُ

ashhadu al lā ilāha illal lāh, wa ashhadu anna muḥammadan ṣallal lāhu ʿalayhi wa ālihi ʿabduhu wa rasūluh

According to Sayyid Sistani one should not recite it.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

wa aliakum.

Yes you can add testimonies to Tashahud as its not fixed but only 2 testimonies are Obligatory. 

According to Many Scholars Like Ayatullah Sheikh Muhammad Sanad (Najaf Ashraf) and many more like Sheikh Sadooq, Tusi, Hur Amili all allowed making additions to Tashahud as it is in Authentic hadiths from Aima (عليه السلام).

• Advanced Member

Ayatullah Khoie in Kitab us Salat allowed it: here see:

كتاب الصلاة - السيد الخوئي - ج ٤ - الصفحة ٣٠٩
يقول في التشهد الأول والثاني ما في موثقة أبي بصير وهي قوله (ع) إذا جلست في الركعة الثانية فقل بسم الله وبالله والحمد لله وخير الأسماء لله، أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له، وأشهد أن محمد عبده ورسوله أرسله بالحق بشيرا ونذيرا بين يدي الساعة، أشهد أنك نعم الرب، وأن محمدا نعم الرسول اللهم صل على محمد وآل محمد وتقبل شفاعته في أمته وارفع درجته ثم تحمد الله مرتين أو ثلاثا ثم تقوم فإذا جلست في الرابعة قلت: بسم الله وبالله والحمد لله وخير الأسماء لله أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له وأشهد أن محمدا عبده ورسوله أرسله بالحق بشيرا ونذيرا بين يدي الساعة أشهد أنك نعم الرب وأن محمدا نعم الرسول. التحيات لله والصلوات الطاهرات الطيبات الزاكيات الغاديات الرائحات السابقات الناعمات ما طاب وزكى وطهر وخلص وصفا فلله. أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له، وأشهد أن محمدا عبده ورسوله أرسله بالحق بشيرا ونذيرا بين يدي الساعة أشهد أن ربي نعم الرب، وأن محمد نعم الرسول، وأشهد أن الساعة آتية لا ريب فيها وأن الله يبعث من في القبور.
الحمد لله الذي هدانا لهذا وما كنا لنهتدي لولا أن هدانا الله الحمد لله رب العالمين. اللهم صل على محمد وآل محمد

http://shiaonlinelibrary.com/الكتب/509_كتاب-الصلاة-السيد-الخوئي-ج-٤/الصفحة_240#top

Notice how many testimonies are there in Tashahud Ayatullah Khoei said is Mustahab to recite.

Testimony 1: أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له

Testimony 2: أشهد أن محمد عبده ورسوله

Testimony 3: أشهد أن الساعة آتية لا ريب فيها

Testimony 4: وأن الله يبعث من في القبور

So addition into Tashahud is allowed by Teacher of Sayid Sistani...

• Advanced Member
On 5/16/2021 at 5:24 PM, Zane Ibrahim said:

I have seen on YouTube that the Imams would recite Aliyun WaliUllah

This is not proven to be honest. Attributing something to Imam isn't a joke. one should check references thoroughly and then say something else its not going to be good.

As for Fiqh Al-Kamil attributed to taqi majlisi, it isn't proven to be his book. Secondly, tashahud in it has been forged and Ali un wali ullah was added to it by some other person. i've made topic on it check it out.

As for Fiqh Al-Reza, book is attributed to not some random scholar, but Imam Reza (عليه السلام)! But book has many errors like its written in it that we can wash our feet and do Masah as well which is not supported by shia mazhab. Also it says Surah Falaq and Surah nass aren't a part of Quran nauzobillah. Its sufficient to deny its attribution to Imam Reza (عليه السلام).

Also people who use it to prove third testimony in tashahud will never follow whats written right above 1st tashahud. imam (عليه السلام) told us to say two testimonies in 1st tashahud and donot add to it! but these people would never follow it. Plus Imam taught azaan iqamah without third testimony but people would never follow it. Plus imam (عليه السلام) taught salat-Al-Janazah without third testimony but no one cares about that?

Strange right? Its hypocrisy of these people. whoever send you tashahud from fiqh Reza (عليه السلام), first ask him to put his hand over Quran and swear by Allah that he will from now on give Azaan/Iqamah as per Fiqh Reza (عليه السلام), Recite 1st tashahud without third testimony else namaz will be void because Imam (عليه السلام) is stopping from adding into first tashahud in fiqh Reza (عليه السلام).

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Almost all alive scholars deem it to be impermissible to recite the third testimony in tashahud, although some scholars allow it in the manner that is mentioned in one tradition "Wa anna 3aliyyun ni3ma al-waliy" (Sayyed Shirazi). I believe what you saw was Sheikh Yasser Habib who (ironically) tells people not to do whatever he's doing and to abide by the scholar which he claims to follow, which is not what he's doing. 

37 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Yes you can add testimonies to Tashahud as its not fixed but only 2 testimonies are Obligatory. 

According to Many Scholars Like Ayatullah Sheikh Muhammad Sanad (Najaf Ashraf) and many more like Sheikh Sadooq, Tusi, Hur Amili all allowed making additions to Tashahud as it is in Authentic hadiths from Aima (عليه السلام).

This isn't something universally accepted among scholars. Many scholars believe that you have to abide by what was narrated about the tashahud, although the current one usually recited by Shia isn't the only one. Also, Sayyed Hakim who allows saying unnarrated tashahuds says that the third testimony is not allowed, and that it's better to stick to the current one. 

Edited by Mark Enlightment

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mark Enlightment said:

This isn't something universally accepted among scholars. Many scholars believe that you have to abide by what was narrated about the tashahud, although the current one usually recited by Shia isn't the only one. Also, Sayyed Hakim who allows saying unnarrated tashahuds says that the third testimony is not allowed, and that it's better to stick to the current one. 

This was universally accepted a few 100 years ago as mentioned by plenty of scholars and muhadiths and within authentic traditions from imams (عليه السلام).

Sistani never said Salat is void if you recite third testimony.

I think some people have understood fatwa of scholars like Sayed Mohsin Al-hakim incorrectly.

They its void and bro i don't believe such scholars never read Tehzeeb Al-Ahkam or Al-Faqih properly.

What they meant is if recited as obligatory part, then definitely salat is void as for recommended izkaar, they are in The Four Books in authentic traditions as i have shown Sayed Khoeis grading.

Even Taqi Majlisi and Baqir Majlisi etc graded them as authentic hadiths and so did others.

Therefore words of Mohsin Al-hakeem should be taken positively else they would hold 0 weight since they are against what Aima (عليه السلام) has taught us about Tashahud.

( Definitely Sayed Moshin Al-Hakeem (رضي الله عنه) never said that about reciting it as Mustahab Zikr which is common sense)

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

يقول في التشهد الأول والثاني ما في موثقة أبي بصير وهي قوله (ع)

Ayatullah Khoei Permits to recite this lengthy tashahud with 4 testimonies ( from tehzeeb Al-Ahkam ) as mustahab!

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

As for Fiqh Al-Reza, book is attributed to not some random scholar, but Imam Reza (عليه السلام)! But book has many errors like its written in it that we can wash our feet and do Masah as well which is not supported by shia mazhab. 

Interesting.

Although you may not agree with the contents, is the chain of this hadith authentic. ?

As this agrees with what Ahlulbayt taught through Zaidi sources.

Edited by Ali bin Hussein

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Ayatullah Khoei Permits to recite this lengthy tashahud with 4 testimonies ( from tehzeeb Al-Ahkam ) as mustahab!

Yeah but it doesn't contain the third testimony. He allows it because it was narrated from an authentic chain of narrators, not because you can say whatever you want.

Sistani never said Salat is void if you recite third testimony.

When a scholar says that you can't say it, then he's indirectly saying that it's void if you do it. 

What they meant is if recited as obligatory part, then definitely salat is void as for recommended izkaar, they are in The Four Books in authentic traditions as i have shown Sayed Khoeis grading.

Even Taqi Majlisi and Baqir Majlisi etc graded them as authentic hadiths and so did others.

The hadith is definitely authentic but it doesn't contain the third testimony. 

• Advanced Member
On 7/14/2021 at 3:34 AM, Ali bin Hussein said:

Although you may not agree with the contents, is the chain of this hadith authentic

As far as i know, there are no chain in Fiqh Al-Reza (عليه السلام).

The books is attributed to Imam Reza (عليه السلام) so you will have to find chain of book instead of chain of hadeeth which is for sure weak.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2021 at 4:10 AM, Mark Enlightment said:

The hadith is definitely authentic but it doesn't contain the third testimony.

Bro it contains 4 testimonies.

Read Man La Yahzarahu Al Faqih it has Saheeh Hadeeth of Tashahud from Zurarah from Imam Al Baqir (عليه السلام) in which there are more than 5 testimonies if i remember correctly.

Even if imams didn't recite it, hadeeths of Imam (عليه السلام) tells us that Tashahud isn't fixed and one can add multiple testimonies to it.

And you know well that no Imam Recited it in Adhan either but you still use hadeeth of Ihtejaj to say Third Testimony as recommended ( mustahab ) in Adhan.

Edited by Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi

• Advanced Member
On 7/15/2021 at 8:55 AM, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Read Man La Yahzarahu Al Faqih it has Saheeh Hadeeth of Tashahud from Zurarah from Imam Al Baqir (عليه السلام) in which there are more than 5 testimonies if i remember correctly.

The issue is with the third testimony with Imam Ali's name, not the number of them.

• Advanced Member

(EID MUBARAK!!)

Oh yeah, I actually stopped saying Shahadah Salisa in tashahud. 

The reason was that I realised that was this something that Allah wanted, or something that I wanted?

Also, who's smarter, Ayatollah as-Sistani or me?

So yeah I just listen to my marja and that's it.

Allah knows best.

Wassalam 

• Advanced Member
On 7/19/2021 at 5:41 PM, Zane Ibrahim said:

(EID MUBARAK!!)

Oh yeah, I actually stopped saying Shahadah Salisa in tashahud. 

The reason was that I realised that was this something that Allah wanted, or something that I wanted?

Allah knows best.

Wassalam 

It is not allowed ( according to most of our Maraaji’ of Taqleed) to add any thing on the obligatory Tashahhud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 7/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, Mark Enlightment said:

The issue is with the third testimony with Imam Ali's name, not the number of them.

Bhai issue is, if tashahud is fixed or not? if its not, then you can add to it like Marjae Karam have allowed it.

Ayatullah Khoie allowed addition into tashahud as well so did all our great scholars and Sistani never stopped anyone from adding anything into tashahud. if testimony like " i testify that ALlah will raise people from graves" can be added why not testimony of wilayah which is way more important than rest of mustahab testimonies and Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) has said when anyone from you says li ilaha illalah let him say Ali un wali ullah.
Its sign of shias but if someone says with niyaah of wajib, his salat is void

On 7/20/2021 at 2:41 AM, Zane Ibrahim said:

Sistani never stopped anyone from adding onto Tashahud.

• Advanced Member

Wait, really? So if I recite the third testimony without intention of wajib, it’s halal?

• Advanced Member

sistani.org/english/qa/01337/

• Advanced Member
On 8/2/2021 at 2:19 AM, Zane Ibrahim said:

Wait, really? So if I recite the third testimony without intention of wajib, it’s halal?

it is halal because adding into Tashahud is Sunnah of Imams and these hadiths have been graded is Sahih by Ayatullah Khoie who is teacher of Ayatullah Sistani but is no longer alive.

There are many Mustahab testimonies for Tashahud of Namaz like:

I testify that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will raise us from graves

I testify that Jannah is a reality

I testify that Hell is a reality

and so on.....

If you need reference, i will give it to you ( hadith + authentication ) along with fatawa of Mujtahideen allowing it.

But do not recite it with intention of Wajib or obligatory because it would then mean either you are reciting tashahud correctly or either Imams (عليه السلام) have recited it correctly ( i:e Aima (عليه السلام) said two testimonies are part of tashahud ) thus it will make Namaz void as Scholars have said. 

• Advanced Member
On 8/2/2021 at 2:23 AM, Zane Ibrahim said:

sistani.org/english/qa/01337/

Question: Is it permissible to recite the third testimony (Shahadat Salisa) in Tashahhud?

Answer: You should perform the Tashahhud in the same as explained in the book of Islamic Laws (Resalah). Find the book on our website.

All Ayatullah Sistani has said is recite the way he's mentioned in his islamic laws for your convenience. Again he never stopped anyone from reciting it.

There is a video of wakeel of Sistani sahab and according to him, Sistani Sahab allowed recital of shahdat a Salisa as a dua.

here goes Link: