Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Fasting

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Salaam Aleikum,

There is only few days left for fasting and I'm starting to worry of my weight which became 16.72 BMI, which is significant underweight. I really don't want to break my fast, but I was wondering am I even allowed to fast in this situation?

• Advanced Member

It became like this because of fasting? Did u go to the doctor?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Diaz said:

It became like this because of fasting? Did u go to the doctor?

Before fasting my weight was 60kg, now it is about 56.3-5kg. The doctor will always say to stop.

• Advanced Member
43 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

Salaam Aleikum,

There is only few days left for fasting and I'm starting to worry of my weight which became 16.72 BMI, which is significant underweight. I really don't want to break my fast, but I was wondering am I even allowed to fast in this situation?

Salam definetly  you  must fast unless fasting causes loosing your health which going underweight for one week is not a threat to your health but you can change your diet for Suhur & Iftar to control your BMI .

• Advanced Member
Just now, Abu Nur said:

Before fasting my weight was 60kg, now it is about 56.3-5kg. The doctor will always say to stop.

That’s very underweight if u r not short, I think it’s better if u go to the doctor. Maybe u r eating less that’s why, change ur diet if u can.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam definetly  you  must fast unless fasting causes loosing your health which going underweight for one week is not a threat to your health but you can change your diet for Suhur & Iftar to control your BMI .

When I started, I was underweight, but now I came to the point where it is "significant underweight". I'm guy with height of 184cm.

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

When I started, I was underweight, but now I came to the point where it is "significant underweight". I'm guy with height of 184cm.

I highly recommend u to go to the doctor, maybe a nutritionist can help u too. 

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Abu Nur said:

It's not a valid reason for stoping fasting because going underweight is not a serious treat for your health only option for you is changing your diet for keeping your current  BMI or increasing it but you must fast.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

It's not a valid reason for stoping fasting because going underweight is not a serious treat for your health only option for you is changing your diet for keeping your current  BMI or increasing it but you must fast.

It is very hard for me to eat big portion of food, so I'm surely going to lose more and more weight. I'm in the very edge of serious underweight and this is where the fear is coming. I really don't want to break my fast, but I'm also worrying of myself that if I continue few days, something may happen. 

Next time inshaAllah I will make sure that I will have more weight to fast. Last year I started from weight 62kg, and I succeeded with no problem, but this 60kg have made me worry in these days.

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

It is very hard for me to eat big portion of food,

For gaining weight you don't  need to eat big portion of food but you can use some kind of food which is recommended  by nutrition  experts for gaining weight which your level of losing weight is not abnormal but it's  a whisper from Satan to weaken your will for stoping your fasting .

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

For gaining weight you don't  need to eat big portion of food but you can use some kind of food which is recommended  by nutrition  experts for gaining weight which your level of losing weight is not abnormal but it's  a whisper from Satan to weaken your will for stoping your fasting .

to gain weight you have to eat at a caloric surplus so in some way he is gonna have to consume more than he burns. In addition to that working out can help a lot in putting on some healthy weight. Beginners tend to put on .5 to 1.5 kilos a month depending on many factors and likely 10 kilos in a year if done right.

• Advanced Member

Salam @KhurasaniI meant too much over eating is not healthy because it just increases the mass of fat but as you mentioned he can gain weight or control his BMI by  help of a nutrition expert anyway with current situation of @Abu Nur the remaining week of fasting doesn't cause any serious problem which decrease of BMI is not a valid reason for stopping fasting which even people in harsh situation & fear of starvation like people of Yemen are fasting although of their harsh situation .

• Advanced Member

Eat more portion of nutritious food between Iftaar and Sehri. Take less stress. Stress is one factor for weight loss in some people. If possible, remain awake at night so that you can eat more and sleep after fajr so you don't burn more energy when you are awake. 

I would suggest - 

Red meat (limited quantity) 

Homemade protein shakes

Eggs 

Dark chocolate 

Potatoes

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Next time inshaAllah I will make sure that I will have more weight to fast. Last year I started from weight 62kg, and I succeeded with no problem, but this 60kg have made me worry in these days.

It's just a few more days. May your worries be eased. 

How do you feel? Is your energy level normal? If you feel weak, listless, constantly tired such that it interferes with your daily activities, you should break the fast and see a doctor. Otherwise, just try to eat an adequate amount of healthy food. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

It is very hard for me to eat big portion of food, so I'm surely going to lose more and more weight. I'm in the very edge of serious underweight and this is where the fear is coming. I really don't want to break my fast, but I'm also worrying of myself that if I continue few days, something may happen. 

To gain weight, you need to eat carbohydrates (pasta, bread, etc). Eating fat by itself, without eating carbs will actually make you lose weight, not gain weight. This is known in the US as the keto diet. So if you wake up for Suhur (Sahr) and eat something, like bread or rice, pasta, etc, then eat a good meal for iftar, you shouldn't lose weight. You don't need to eat a big meal of carbs to gain weight, you just need to eat some with every meal.

I've notice that the people who lose alot of weight during Ramadan are the ones who eat mostly vegetables and meat with no carbs. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Moderators
54 minutes ago, notme said:

It's just a few more days. May your worries be eased. 

How do you feel? Is your energy level normal? If you feel weak, listless, constantly tired such that it interferes with your daily activities, you should break the fast and see a doctor. Otherwise, just try to eat an adequate amount of healthy food. 

I feel actually fine and can do things etc only that sometimes with the different laying position I can feel my insides.

I only have 5h to eat, and because of my small tummy I can only eat particular amount of food, such that I would only lose some weight. I have very fast metabolism.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

To gain weight, you need to eat carbohydrates (pasta, bread, etc). Eating fat by itself, without eating carbs will actually make you lose weight, not gain weight. This is known in the US as the keto diet. So if you wake up for Suhur (Sahr) and eat something, like bread or rice, pasta, etc, then eat a good meal for iftar, you shouldn't lose weight. You don't need to eat a big meal of carbs to gain weight, you just need to eat some with every meal.

I've notice that the people who lose alot of weight during Ramadan are the ones who eat mostly vegetables and meat with no carbs. 

Thank you for the information I will make sure to eat enough and right. Alhamdulillah that our food is healthy, it seems that I just need to eat more.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 12:57 AM, Diaz said:

Update us brother, I hope it’s not serious.

Alhamdulillah, in these few days I only lost few amount of weight, so it almost remained same. But I remain fasting all the days. Next time inshaAllah I need to prepare myself better.

This topic should be a good reminder for future me that If I come to same situtation, I should not have fear.

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Alhamdulillah, in these few days I only lost few amount of weight, so it almost remained same. But I remain fasting all the days. Next time inshaAllah I need to prepare myself better.

This topic should be a good reminder for future me that If I come to same situtation, I should not have fear.

Alhamdulillah, now I’m relieved tho I still recommend u to go to the doctor if you can brother.