Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Loosing my faith, how do I strengthen it?

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Taqwa is built through successive steps.

1. Avoid everything that is haraam

2. Perform everything that is wajib

3. Avoid the disliked (makruh) things

4. Perform the recommended (mustahab) acts

When one finds themselves slipping it is important to re evaluate this sequence in its order of priority. 

If the foundation is weak, whatever you build on it will also be weak.

Therefore one must ensure that step 1, avoiding the muharramaat, is carefully followed.

Then you work your way up the ladder step by step (ie carefully evaluate if the wajibaat are completed, etc)

Taqwa is like a protective shield and will provide you with the environment for spiritual development inshaAllah. 

• Advanced Member

I'm probably going to botch the delivery so don't get mad at me on Judgement Day. I don't mean to cause offense or stress.

Sometimes it's our actions and behavior that pulls us away from God. I know a story of a guy who lost his faith after eating haram food. Eating haram food is not a major sin, there are plenty of Muslims who do it and nothing is going to happen to their deen. But this guy did it with defiance and arrogance. When he ate the food he had a proud look on his face. As a result Allah kicked him out of Islam by the end of the month I believe. He used to pray daily but on that day he said he didn't feel like doing it on time, and later said "Well I'll make it up qadha," but he never prayed after that, and was in bars soon after the incident. 

The story: https://youtu.be/W10CSGEnaxA?t=2101

Therefore, I would recommend you analyze yourself from this angle. I doubt you've been secretly committing major sins, or even minor ones. I don't think you've done anything out of defiance or arrogance. But is there something you've done that is unfair to Allah? Or something that Allah is not pleased with? As somebody who doesn't know anything about you, I would venture to assume, and don't get mad at me for saying this, that the problematic matter could be you changing sects for personal reasons such as convenience, or not liking a jurisprudential matter. You were Shia, then you became Sunni, then you went back to being Shia, then back to Sunni, then you flirted with being Quranist. Brother if you do something like that then you won't have a solid rock to support you. I would recommend you take a step back, truly look at Sunni and Shia Islam, then follow the one that you agree with. Not the one that is more convenient for you, or the one which is more agreeable to you based on your identity and background.

Or that could have nothing to do with it. Just as assumption.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, musa shakr said:

I feel that my faith is weakening how do i reaffirm it.

Faith is established and strengthened through good deeds. Staying away from what is bad/Haram is considered doing something good. 

Do as many good deeds as you can. Move at your own pace. Start small and build on strength. Build one habit at a time. 

Don't rush, and don't feel disappointed. Don't compare yourself to others. 

Just do your best, and know that Allah judges our actions based on the intentions we put behind/in them. 

Do the following every day:

1. Avoid one bad deed.

2. Perform one good deed. 

Focus on actions and behaviour.

Read this:

http://unveilingthelight.blogspot.com/2011/09/deeds-establish-and-display-faith.html

And this:

http://unveilingthelight.blogspot.com/2011/08/submission-precedes-and-strengthens.html

Edited by SoRoUsH
  • Advanced Member
On 5/6/2021 at 1:12 AM, musa shakr said:

Hi There!

What do you mean by your faith?  Are you talking about your belief in God, or are you questioning the principles of Islam?

I'm a follower of Jesus the Messiah so don't have the right to give an answer in relation to Islam practice.  However, the one God the creator of the universe is living and active today and reaches out and reveals himself to people who are seeking him.

Carrying out religious actions are helpful in bringing us into a community of like minded people who will support us and with whom we can journey together.  But is religious practice a good foundation for our spiritual walk with God?

Jesus The Messiah told a story about two men who wanted to build a house for themselves.  One built a house on sandy ground and the other built on rock.  When the storms and floods came, the house on the sand fell but the one on the rock stood firm.  Jesus the Messiah explained that the person who builds their life on rock are those who obey his teaching.

The story comes at the end of a long section where Jesus the Messiah is teaching about God's desire to see transformed upright lives rather than religious practice.  If you want to read it see Injil Matthew Chapter 5 to Chapeter 7.  I think you will find some clues there to finding true solid faith.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+5-7&version=NIVUK

• Advanced Member
On 5/6/2021 at 5:42 AM, musa shakr said:

The basic theme behind the month of ramadan is to practice abstainment from sins. Do that?

Ramadan is a great opportunity for strengthening.

I was feeling the same as you before Ramadan started but now I am getting better.

But it doesn't mean you have to stop after Ramadan. Just like life goes on, our struggle in the path of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) goes on.

So, avoid sinning to the best of your level and you will become faithful inshallah.