Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

A question about Jelaluddin Rumi and Shams of Tabriz

• Basic Members

I have read the poetry of Jelaluddin Rumi for a while now and have read of Rumi's friend Shams of Tabriz - what is your favorite poem by Rumi? I have several - but one is a short poem titled 'Red Shirt' in The Essential Rumi translated by Coleman Barks:

Has anyone seen the boy who used to come here? Round-face troublemaker, quick to find a joke, Slow to be serious  . . .
Red shirt, perfect coordination, sly, strong muscles, with things always in his pockets: reed flute, ivory pick, polished for his talent.
You know, that one! 
Have you heard stories about him? Pharaoh and the whole Egyptian world would collapse for such a Joseph.
I'd gladly spend years getting word of him . . .Even third or fourth hand

I have often wondered what was on Rumi's mind, what was taking place in his world, that inspired such a poem. I would love to discuss it

• Forum Administrators

The recitation video of Rumi's poem "Red Shirt" is very sad, but also hopeful that he will have news of that boy. Perfect specimen of the archetypal missing someone and longing for him. 

• Basic Members
1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

The recitation video of Rumi's poem "Red Shirt" is very sad, but also hopeful that he will have news of that boy. Perfect specimen of the archetypal missing someone and longing for him. 

Thank you for this - sad . . .  and yet, hopeful as you observed - it is said that Rumi missed Shams of Tabriz after he disappeared - perhaps the longing felt thru the poem is that of his own soul for his lost friend?