Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Qada' of Ramadan

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hello everyone.

I asked people from Sistani office about the Qada of Ramadan (I have 11 months of Qada) and they replied that I must pay for 60 poor people for each day (that's 330 and a total of 19800 poor people that I must feed)

I calculated the price of flour in Iraq and it is 0.77$ for 750g.

That would mean I have to pay 15246$ which I don't even believe I can accumulate in a lifetime.

I was wondering if there's another Marjaa that has a different opinion on this matter?

• Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, Diaz said:

Salam brother, u can fast if u can’t feed poor people. 

I must fast 60 days for each day I missed (30 x 11 years x 60 = 19800 days) which means I have to be fasting for almost 54 years continously

• Advanced Member
Just now, pisceswolf96 said:

I must fast 60 days for each day I missed (30 x 11 years x 60 = 19800 days) which means I have to be fasting for almost 54 years continously

Yes I know that. If you can’t fast nor feed poor people, read the link below. https://www.al-islam.org/ask/what-should-we-do-if-we-did-an-act-that-has-kaffara-and-cannot-fast-for-60-days-nor-have-any-slaves-to-free-and-neither-have-the-capacity-to-feed-60-people

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, pisceswolf96 said:

Salam you must fast or pay Kafarah as much as possible for you but making up of 11 years is impossible  for anyone so you can do Istighfar .

Q 811: A person has not prayed or fasted for ten years due to ignorance, he has now repented and returned to God and decided to make up for them, but he is not able to make up for all the dead fasts and he does not have the money to do so. To pay his atonement with it, is it right for him to suffice only with Istighfar?

A: The qada 'of the dead fasts will not be abrogated in any way, but in relation to the expiation of the intentional Iftar of the fast of Ramadan, if he does not have the power to fast for two months or to feed sixty poor people for each day, he should feeds poor as much he can. He should gives food as much he can and it is a precaution for him to ask for forgiveness, and if he is not able to give food to the poor in any way, it is enough for him to ask for forgiveness, that is, to say with his heart and tongue: "Ask forgiveness of God (I ask God for forgiveness)".

Q 812: Due to my lack of financial and physical strength, I was not able to fast or feed the poor in order to perform the atonements that were obligatory on me, and as a result, I asked for forgiveness, but by the grace of God, I am now able to fast or feed. What is my duty?

A: In the specifid case , expiation is not necessary, although it is a recommended precaution to do so.

https://farsi.khamenei.ir/treatise-content?id=70#811

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, pisceswolf96 said:

Hello everyone.

I asked people from Sistani office about the Qada of Ramadan (I have 11 months of Qada) and they replied that I must pay for 60 poor people for each day (that's 330 and a total of 19800 poor people that I must feed)

I calculated the price of flour in Iraq and it is 0.77$ for 750g.

That would mean I have to pay 15246$ which I don't even believe I can accumulate in a lifetime.

I was wondering if there's another Marjaa that has a different opinion on this matter?

In the Tawzeeh of Sayyid al Sistani (رضي الله عنه) :

Ruling 1630. The kaffārah for breaking a fast (ifṭār) unlawfully in the month of Ramadan is that the person must free a slave, or fast for two months in accordance with the instructions that will be mentioned in the next ruling, or feed sixty poor people (fuqarāʾ) or give each one of them a mudd – which is approximately 750 grams – of food, i.e. wheat, barley, bread, or suchlike. In the event that none of these are possible for the person, he must give charity to the extent that he can. If this is not possible either, he must seek forgiveness from Allah; and the obligatory precaution is that he must give kaffārah whenever he is able to.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I believe that it's not possible to not be able to pay off debts to Allah. I see that as a guarantee that you will make at least that much money and then some. Otherwise He would not have put the burden on you unless it was possible for you to take care of it.

By the way if you did fast but did not pray, then you only have to make up the prayer and you're good. But this does not apply to deliberate ejaculation. 

Edited by guest 2025
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

I believe that it's not possible to not be able to pay off debts to Allah. I see that as a guarantee that you will make at least that much money and then some. Otherwise He would not have put the burden on you unless it was possible for you to take care of it.

It was I who put this burden on myself but if only I knew

2 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

By the way if you did fast but did not pray, then you only have to make up the prayer and you're good. But this does not apply to deliberate ejaculation. 

Thanks for reminding me that I actually did fast in 2015 so that makes it only 10 years that I have to make up for.

• Advanced Member
41 minutes ago, pisceswolf96 said:

It was I who put this burden on myself but if only I knew

Thanks for reminding me that I actually did fast in 2015 so that makes it only 10 years that I have to make up for.

Salam, The burden is a lot smaller than you think, because God factors in our intentions. If I have 10 years of late prayers to make up, then I could perform one extra salah after each wajib one and be in the green in 10 years. But what if I were to die only 6 years in? God would look at my intentions, see if I really did have the intention to finish this to the end, and He would pardon me as if I did them. 

That means you could do the same with this debt. If you put aside only $1 a day for this, then in 50 years you would have $18,250. Enough to pay off the debt and then some. And if you died before you turned 75 then you would have the debt forgiven as if you paid it. I think even a homeless person could put that up if they use the money they get from begging. And if life makes it too difficult to put that up atm, then could could temporarily pause and resume when you can, though a bag of chips in Iraq costed a dollar last time I was there so even kids who buy snacks could do this. Though I'd pay this by year since inflation might mess with the value of your money.

With heavy burdens creativity helps

• Advanced Member
24 minutes ago, guest 2025 said:

Salam, The burden is a lot smaller than you think, because God factors in our intentions. If I have 10 years of late prayers to make up, then I could perform one extra salah after each wajib one and be in the green in 10 years.

I would actually go even more hardcore than this. I have 11 years to make for but I made a plan that would basically allow me to finish it in 6.8 years

24 minutes ago, guest 2025 said:

But what if I were to die only 6 years in? God would look at my intentions, see if I really did have the intention to finish this to the end, and He would pardon me as if I did them. 

That means you could do the same with this debt. If you put aside only $1 a day for this, then in 50 years you would have $18,250. Enough to pay off the debt and then some. And if you died before you turned 75 then you would have the debt forgiven as if you paid it. I think even a homeless person could put that up if they use the money they get from begging. And if life makes it too difficult to put that up atm, then could could temporarily pause and resume when you can, though a bag of chips in Iraq costed a dollar last time I was there so even kids who buy snacks could do this. Though I'd pay this by year since inflation might mess with the value of your money.

With heavy burdens creativity helps

I wasn't complaining about the burden. It actually is empowering me not only to save money but to even pursue a Master's degree and a phD. I truly believe that it was part of God's plan. If I didn't leave Islam for those years then my belief would've been much weaker, but now since I saw how degenerate and filthy the world is by going through a hell of my own I would not simply fall into despair ever again.

It was a bit of a shock at first to discover that I have to pay that much money but I hope that God make my life long enough to pay my debt to him and that he may give me 10 times that money that I have to pay.

Again thank you very much for reminding me about that one month that I actually fasted, such a relief :cryhappy:

• Advanced Member

Hi There

I read this thread and it made me want to weep!

What is our prayer and fasting for?  Are we just clocking up numbers?  Does God sit there and count our actions?  What is God looking for is there a purpose behind fasting and prayer?

Of course!  God wants us to spend time with him and enjoy his presence.  He is looking for intimacy and relationship.  Prayer and fasting help those things.

Coming to God and opening your heart to him asking for a fresh start and that your shame is covered is all that he is looking for.  Through Jesus the Messiah your heart can be made clean and your worship becomes a response of gratefulness not a counting of numbers and times.

I rejoice that I live in God's presence and he lives in me - each moment can be a time of prayer and worship.  My times of formal prayer and worship and fasting enable me more clearly to hear and respond to God my redeemer.

Guest bill
2 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Hi There

What is our prayer and fasting for?  Are we just clocking up numbers?  Does God sit there and count our actions?  What is God looking for is there a purpose behind fasting and prayer?

Of course!  God wants us to spend time with him and enjoy his presence.  He is looking for intimacy and relationship.  Prayer and fasting help those things.

Coming to God and opening your heart to him asking for a fresh start and that your shame is covered is all that he is looking for.  Through Jesus the Messiah your heart can be made clean and your worship becomes a response of gratefulness not a counting of numbers and times.

I rejoice that I live in God's presence and he lives in me - each moment can be a time of prayer and worship.  My times of formal prayer and worship and fasting enable me more clearly to hear and respond to God my redeemer.

I must respectfully disagree and weigh in with my opinion. Muslims have mandatory worship, Jews have mandatory worship, it only makes sense that Christians have the same.

There are also other things like this. Such as dietary restrictions (Jews: Kosher, Muslims: Halal, Christians: Nothing?), wearing of headscarf, drinking of alcohol, mandatory fasting, etc. God would not ask the Jews and the Zoroastrians and the Sabians to do something, then suddenly shift in another direction when it comes to Christianity. All His religions are like a line that while are in different points, all point towards the same direction. This line can't suddenly move to a different direction at the end. 

Guest window
6 hours ago, pisceswolf96 said:

I truly believe that it was part of God's plan. If I didn't leave Islam for those years then my belief would've been much weaker

Interesting thought. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been as religious as I am if I was brought up in Karbala instead of the US. I probably would have gotten used to Islam like a fish does to water, and never really appreciated it. Kind of like how a lot of kids take their parents for granted, while an orphan or kid with dead parents appreciates the gravity of parenthood.

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Hi There

What's our worship and believe in God for? I mean he doesn't even need it. It is for us, fasting is good for our bodies, prayer is good for our souls

12 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Just as you believe that Jesus carried the burden of the entire human race, it is only fair for me to carry my own burden, which is miniscule in comparison.

• Advanced Member
On 5/5/2021 at 8:46 PM, Guest bill said:

I must respectfully disagree and weigh in with my opinion. Muslims have mandatory worship, Jews have mandatory worship, it only makes sense that Christians have the same.

There are also other things like this. Such as dietary restrictions (Jews: Kosher, Muslims: Halal, Christians: Nothing?), wearing of headscarf, drinking of alcohol, mandatory fasting, etc. God would not ask the Jews and the Zoroastrians and the Sabians to do something, then suddenly shift in another direction when it comes to Christianity. All His religions are like a line that while are in different points, all point towards the same direction. This line can't suddenly move to a different direction at the end. 

Thanks for this comment it does seem logical at first but what order did these faith practices come in?  Judaism then Christianity then Islam.  I could suggest, very politly, that Islam has gone backwards to religious practice that God had fulfilled and now deems unnecessary.

However there are some guidlines for religious practice in Christianity.  One is to rememebr the life, death and resurrection of Jesus the Messiah on a regular basis. There is also the practice of baptism which proclaims the transfomation of spiritual new birth provided by God to those who enter his family.

The major teaching for followers of Jesus is to live a life which reflects God's charictar rather than follow certain laws.  see these verses given by God in the Injil.  See Galatians chapter 5

19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

• Advanced Member
On 5/6/2021 at 7:13 AM, pisceswolf96 said:

Just as you believe that Jesus carried the burden of the entire human race, it is only fair for me to carry my own burden, which is miniscule in comparison.

Is it really small?

The size of our burden is proprtional to the person we hurt.  If I hit my school friend I will not recieve the same punishment as if I hit the teacher.  If I attack a police officer I will recieve a different punishemt to what I would get if I attack the president or the King.

What is the consiquence of rebelion against the almighty creator of the universe?  Can anyone stand before him however small we think our 'sins' are?  The prophet David meditated on this and wrote a Zebur inspired by God see Psalm chapter 130

If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
    Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
    so that we can, with reverence, serve you.