Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Istikhara Baby Name

Rate this topic

Guest FatheroftheYear

Guest FatheroftheYear

Salam, 

I would like a second opinion about a matter I am currently dealing with. I currently have a son on the way alhamdulillah. My wife and I decided on a name for the baby. We are 100% sure and confident on the name. My father relies heavily in istakhara in all things. He also personally did not like the name we picked and wanted a different name. Anyway he has told me that he has done istakhara on his own and he said it came out bad for the name. My wife and I are still sure we would like to keep the name for the baby. We have consulted with other members of our family and they also love the name we picked. My questions is should we even consider istakhara for this since my wife and I are fully confident in the name? How much should we consider istakhara if we ourselves are not confused on what to do? I would love to hear your opinion of this. Jazakallah. 

• Forum Administrators

Salam. Did your father already choose a baby name that he likes, since he doesn't like the name you and your wife chose? 

If not, then he is just complaining. If he chose a baby name, then he is just trying to bully you into giving the baby a name he likes.

You might consider giving the baby a first name and a middle name. A name you and your wife like and a name he likes.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

You might consider giving the baby a first name and a middle name. A name you and your wife like and a name he likes.

I know a boy who has the name Mohamad Husayn (Last name) because the father's family wanted the name Mohamad and the mother's family liked the name Husayn. The parents chose those two names to make both sides of the family happy. The parents of the baby call him "Hamoudi" which is the name they wanted. Hamoudi is not on his birth certificate, but that is what they call him. 

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

I know a boy who has the name Mohamad Husayn (Last name) because the father's family wanted the name Mohamad and the mother's family liked the name Husayn. The parents chose those two names to make both sides of the family happy. The parents of the baby call him "Hamoudi" which is the name they wanted. Hamoudi is not on his birth certificate, but that is what they call him. 

the exact same thing happened to my uncle's son

• Moderators

No I don't believe this is the purpose of istikhara. We have narrations from the prophet and the aimmah (peace and blessings on all of them) which provide the basis, guidelines and recommendations for naming children.

This is what we should refer to. The practice of isitkhara for the sake of naming a child does not seem to have a basis in religion (as far as I am aware). 

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all. 

• Advanced Member
On 4/30/2021 at 11:51 PM, Guest FatheroftheYear said:

My questions is should we even consider istakhara for this since my wife and I are fully confident in the name? How much should we consider istakhara if we ourselves are not confused on what to do? I would love to hear your opinion of this. Jazakallah. 

Salam since you are confident  & if  the name has not any contradition  with Shia Islamic teachings  so you have absolute right to choose the baby name without any need to doing Istikhara which Istikhara is for cases which you have multiple choices which you don't  know which one is better for you but some people become addicted to it for doing everything  but at the end I highly recommend you to satisfy your father with good  & respectful manner but choose baby name firmly just by yourself.

• Advanced Member
On 5/1/2021 at 12:51 AM, Guest FatheroftheYear said:

Salam, 

I would like a second opinion about a matter I am currently dealing with. I currently have a son on the way alhamdulillah. My wife and I decided on a name for the baby. We are 100% sure and confident on the name. My father relies heavily in istakhara in all things. He also personally did not like the name we picked and wanted a different name. Anyway he has told me that he has done istakhara on his own and he said it came out bad for the name. My wife and I are still sure we would like to keep the name for the baby. We have consulted with other members of our family and they also love the name we picked. My questions is should we even consider istakhara for this since my wife and I are fully confident in the name? How much should we consider istakhara if we ourselves are not confused on what to do? I would love to hear your opinion of this. Jazakallah. 

Salaam,

You are confident. So, no need of an istekhara. Secondly, Istekhara is only done if the person facing it wants it. You never wanted to do istekhara, but your father did. It is of no use. One more thing, he didn't like the name so he already was in a position to reject the name, hence Istekhara is not right as the intention is not correct.

Regardless of all this. Do this:

1. Ask your father a name he wants and adjust that name in some way. If it cannot be adjusted then keep it as a second name as a respect to your father.

2. Pay Sadaqah and ignore the Istekhara.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you, your wife and your baby. Jazakallah Khayr

• Advanced Member

وَ حَقُّ الْوَلَدِ عَلَى الْوَالِدِ أَنْ يُحَسِّنَ اسْمَهُ، وَ يُحَسِّنَ أَدَبَهُ

prophet  Muhammad  (pbu): The child's right to the father is to give him a good name and to raise him in the best way.

His majesty  also said: Whoever has four sons and does not name one of them after me, "Muhammad"., Has done unfairness  to me. If you name your child Muhammad, honor and respect him (4)

His majesty  also said: Name even the aborted children, because on the Day of Judgment, when people are called by their names, the aborted children will criticize their fathers, why did you not name us ?!

The Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) himself named the last child of Fatemeh Zahra ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) before his birth, Mohsen, who, of course, had an abortion and was martyred in the attack on her house. (5)

Imam Baqir (عليه السلام) says: "When the devil hears someone is  calling Muhammad or Ali, he melts like tin."

http://www.aviny.com/article/maghale/92/6/NamGozari.aspx

• Advanced Member

It was said to Imam Sadegh (as): May we be sacrifice  for you. We call our children after your name and name of your fathers. Is this action beneficial for us? The Imam said: Yes, by God! Is religion anything but love and hatred ?! God Almighty says: If you love God, follow me (Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))) so that he (God) will love you and forgive your sins, for He is Forgiving and Merciful (verse 31 of Surah Al-Imran) .

The Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) said: The first gift that each of you gives to his child is a good name, so choose the best name for your child. (7)

To encourage believers to choose a good name for their children, Islam does not limit its importance only to the world, but also raises the viewpoint  of the Muslim man above the world (the lowest level of the universe) as the Messenger of God says: "Because on the Day of Resurrection, you will be called by these names. So-son of-so,  get up toward your light, and so-son of-so, , get up which you have no light." (8)

Imam Baqir (عليه السلام) says: "The most correct names are the names that indicate servitude and obediance, the best names are the names of the prophets" (9)

Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) said that if God gives me 100 sons, I will name all of them Ali, at a time when on the pulpits of the Messenger of God, Hazrat Yasub al-Din Amir al-Mu'minin Ali ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام) were cursed.

http://www.aviny.com/article/maghale/92/6/NamGozari.aspx