Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Doing the christian cross on chest

Rate this topic

Guest Guest asking

Guest Guest asking

I have a question, is it haram to do the thing that Christians do when they do the cross on their chest? I have seen a few Shias do it on social media to show that we don't have a problem with christians and stuff but is it haram to do it? 

If you don't know what I am talking about I am talking its the thing where they touch their left shoulder then their right then their forehead.

• Moderators

The "sign of the cross" on the chest originated in the days of the Roman Empire when it was illegal to be Christian. It was a subtle way for Christians to identify each other. If the gesture was seen by non-Christians, there was plausible deniability. ("No sir, I was just brushing dust off my clothing.")

I doubt the gesture itself is haram - it's just a gesture - but it would totally depend on intention and I can't imagine an appropriate intention. 

• Advanced Member

As a Follower of Jesus the Messiah, I see the sign of the cross is a very strong declaration, through symbol, of our belief in One God revealed in the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

To see someone of another faith or understanding of God using the symbol would, to me, apear hypocritcal or indicate that the person doesn't understand what they are doing.