Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Khums

Rate this topic

Guest Mohammad

Khums is very confusing for me. Can someone please help me. Last Year I gave Khums of $400 from my savings $2000. So remaining $1600 became Pak/Pure. After few weeks I Spent the whole of remaining Pak/Pure money on something. Now in my 2nd year I have new savings of $3000. How should I calculate Khums this time? If I calculate from $3000, it will be $600 Khums. Or If do $3000 - $1600 = $1400. If I calculate from $1400, it will be $280 Khums. 

Please help me which way is correct ? I follow Ayatollah Sistani.

• Moderators

The khums is calculated on the gain or increase in your wealth.

If you had 100 dollars at the end of 2019, and 1100 dollars at the end of 2020, then your gain was 1000 dollars.

Your khums is one fifth of 1000 = 200 dollars.

This is of course assuming that the money you spent during the year was on normal day to day expenses and necessities and not waste or exuberance (in which case the money spent unnecessarily would also have to be counted in the gain).

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest Mohammad said:

Khums is very confusing for me. Can someone please help me. Last Year I gave Khums of $400 from my savings $2000. So remaining $1600 became Pak/Pure. After few weeks I Spent the whole of remaining Pak/Pure money on something. Now in my 2nd year I have new savings of $3000. How should I calculate Khums this time? If I calculate from $3000, it will be $600 Khums. Or If do $3000 - $1600 = $1400. If I calculate from $1400, it will be $280 Khums. 

Since you spent all of your pure Money,you have to calculate Khums from $3000.

An example: Let’s say you only spent $600,so you had $1000 pure money over and saved $3000.Now you have $4000.Since the 1000 dollars are already pure,you have to pay Khums on the remaining 3000 dollars.

• Advanced Member
On 4/23/2021 at 6:28 PM, Mahdavist said:

the money spent unnecessarily would also have to be counted in the gain).

How does one make an accurate judgement about how much money was spent necessarily and how much was unnecessary? It's difficult to calculate this because who will define what really is necessary and what is not. 

For example, if you go on a holiday with your family and spend a certain amount there, how can you decide whether this holiday was necessary or unnecessary? Or if you buy some new clothes while you already have some old ones, will that be considered necessary? 

I think a lot of things in Islam are rules which are left for the man himself to decide... And this is really scary thought because there is no way to be sure about whether your judgement is right or wrong. 

• Advanced Member
On 4/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, Guest Mohammad said:

Salaam 

On 3000 $.

Let me explain:

Suppose current saving is x

Therefore, Payable khums is x/5.

You pay that.

Next year:

Let's say your net saving is y

After paying khums, you annually earned : e

If y>e or y=e: pay khums on e. It would be e/5.

If y<e : pay khums on y.