Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Khums

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

:salam:

I have a question about Khums,I hope someone can help me out.I don’t know if such Thread already exists...

I‘m still going to school so I don’t earn money myself.I only get some pocket money from my parents or money as a gift on Eid/my Birthday or something like that.I don’t know If I have to pay Khums on this pocket money and things I own (things I bought myself like Books,and things others bought me, like a bed or my smartphone)

Important: Do I have to pay Khums on my clothes and prayer rug/ Turbah?I fear that my prayers might be invalid.

My Family does not believe in paying Khums.

(My Marja' is Ayatullah Sistani)

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2021 at 4:36 PM, shia8 said:

I‘m still going to school so I don’t earn money myself.I only get some pocket money from my parents or money as a gift on Eid/my Birthday or something like that.I don’t know If I have to pay Khums on this pocket money and things I own (things I bought myself like Books,and things others bought me, like a bed or my smartphone)

Important: Do I have to pay Khums on my clothes and prayer rug/ Turbah?I fear that my prayers might be invalid.

Salaam Brother, whatever you earn and don't use by the end of your khums year, by your khums date, then you have to pay khums on it. There are a few exceptions though such as loans and other things, but for more details watch the vid below.

But to give a quick example, let's say your Khums date is May 1st. And you need to pay khums for the khums year from May 1st 2020 to May 1st 2021: so you see what you own on May 1st 2021, and whatever gains/earnings you made in the past khums year (From May 21st 2020 to today, May 1st 2021), cash or material, that remained brand new /unused by May 1st 2021, you pay 1/5th of its value to a place authorized by your marja to collect khums. Once you pay khums on that stuff, you never have to pay khums on it again, so you would deduct it from your calculations for the next year...So let's say you made 100 bucks throughout the year, but by your khums date you only have 50 bucks remaining, then you pay 10 bucks khums. 

Also, it's always a good idea to use new things right away so they're no longer conidered new/"unused", instead of keeping them lying around in the house for long periods of time as new/unused...Also, we can choose whatever date we want as our khums date, from the Islamic or from the English calendar, probably better to choose an English calendar date as the Islamic year is short 10 days every year.  

Since you're still in school you likely have very little or no khums to pay. But yes, just take into account those new things/pocket money earnings. 

Best to watch this to get a proper understanding:

Edited by starlight
  • Basic Members
11 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Salaam Brother, whatever you earn and don't use by the end of your khums year, by your khums date, then you have to pay khums on it. There are a few exceptions though such as loans and other things, but for more details watch the vid below.

But to give a quick example, let's say your Khums date is May 1st. And you need to pay khums for the khums year from May 1st 2020 to May 1st 2021: so you see what you own on May 1st 2021, and whatever gains/earnings you made in the past khums year (From May 21st 2020 to today, May 1st 2021), cash or material, that remained brand new /unused by May 1st 2021, you pay 1/5th of its value to a place authorized by your marja to collect khums. Once you pay khums on that stuff, you never have to pay khums on it again, so you would deduct it from your calculations for the next year...So let's say you made 100 bucks throughout the year, but by your khums date you only have 50 bucks remaining, then you pay 10 bucks khums. 

Also, it's always a good idea to use new things right away so they're no longer conidered new/"unused", instead of keeping them lying around in the house for long periods of time as new/unused...Also, we can choose whatever date we want as our khums date, from the Islamic or from the English calendar, probably better to choose an English calendar date as the Islamic year is short 10 days every year.  

Once your baligh it's obligatory on you, but since you're still in school you likely have very little or no khums to pay. But yes, just take into account those new things/pocket money earnings. 

Thank you 

May Allah reward you 

• Advanced Member

@AStruggler

Wow, thanks for that..

Ive been under the impression that khums is owed on basically every property you own, every year if it hasnt been used in that year.

For example, i bought camping gear 8 years ago and as long as i have that camping gear, i thought i owed khums on it if i hadnt used it at least once in the year before my khums was due...

So this is wrong then, right? 

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Once your baligh it's obligatory on you, but since you're still in school you likely have very little or no khums to pay. But yes, just take into account those new things/pocket money earnings. 

Ahh, I was under the impression that Khums is paid on money earned from working. Good to know that you have to pay khums on even pocket money given to you as a gift.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, shia8 said:

Thank you 

May Allah reward you 

Thank you, may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) reward you as well!

2 hours ago, PureExistence1 said:

@AStruggler

Wow, thanks for that..

Ive been under the impression that khums is owed on basically every property you own, every year if it hasnt been used in that year.

For example, i bought camping gear 8 years ago and as long as i have that camping gear, i thought i owed khums on it if i hadnt used it at least once in the year before my khums was due...

So this is wrong then, right? 

My pleasure brother. 

I will respond to you with examples:

So for example, let's say I need to pay khums on $100. I pay the required $20 dollars khums on it and then I am left with $80. Now, I never have to pay khums on this $80 ever again, I can set it aside. 

To give another example, let's say I need to pay khums on a brand new unused jacket. After I pay khums on the jacket the year that it is due, I don't pay khums on it ever again. 

So if I understood your question correctly, if khums became due on that camping gear and you have already paid it once, then you don't pay again and again. Khums on that item is done. You can keep it in your garage forever :)

But I still highly suggest you watch the video.

(Also, confirm with a scholar first, but you may be eligible for a khums dicount haha, meaning all the extra khums you paid, you can discount that from your next khums- but please do not take my word for it and see if this point is in the video or confirm with a scholar)

Edited by AStruggler
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, guest 2025 said:

Ahh, I was under the impression that Khums is paid on money earned from working. Good to know that you have to pay khums on even pocket money given to you as a gift.

Yeahh. I highly suggest watching that video though.

(If I recall corrrectly, A.Khomeini exempted gifts from Khums, but for A. Sistani you have to pay on gifts too.)

• Veteran Member

About pocket money, what if the parents had already paid khums on their income before handing it to the kids? I always was under threat impression that pocket money is like expenses from the parents. Just because it actually changes pockets make it the 'income' of the child?

Isn't that exaggerated?

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, realizm said:

About pocket money, what if the parents had already paid khums on their income before handing it to the kids? I always was under threat impression that pocket money is like expenses from the parents. Just because it actually changes pockets make it the 'income' of the child?

Isn't that exaggerated?

Please watch from minute 29:50 to 35:50 of the video above. (Your exact question is answered around the end of this interval).

Edited by AStruggler
  • Advanced Member
On 4/22/2021 at 5:42 AM, AStruggler said:

Once your baligh it's obligatory on you,

Important note:

Listening to 33:33-34:33 of the Khums seminar video above, looks like this was the case for followers of Ayatollah Khoi. 

But according to contemporary maraje such as Ayatollah Sistani, the obligation of Khums is irrespective of age.

@shia8