Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Doubts over the story of Khidr and Musa

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalaam Alaikum

I always have doubts over these verses and questions that I haven't been able to answer.

"And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared that he would overburden them by transgression and disbelief

So we intended that their Lord should substitute for them one better than him in purity and nearer to mercy."

Questions:

1. Did Khidr kill a boy that had yet to commit a crime... "we feared"?

2. If Allah can make/substitute a better child, what does this imply about the first boy? Did Allah make him less pure? Surely if Allah can make the 2nd child more pure, than either He didn't make the first boy pure or made him less pure. 

3. Why was Khidr needed to kill this boy? Allah could have taken his life in any number of ways.

4. What is the moral of this specific incident?

I don't understand how to interpret these verses... someone please help!

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

:salam:

I take those 3 stories as an example of wilayah. You emphasised "we feared" but afterwards Khidr (عليه السلام) says و ما فعلته عن امري which means there is nothing he decided without being inspired by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Edited by realizm

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, skinee said:

It's like the hypothetical question of "Would you kill hitler as a child?" In this case, Khidr did to prevent disaster. And look at it this way, the boy who would have grown up to be evil was cut short before he could commit a single sin. I view this as an incredible mercy for him because he gets to be resurrected on Judgement Day without an atom of a sin on his book, when if history took a slightly different turn, he would have been among the most wicked and in a very bad position. That boy was spared Hell.

2. If Allah can make/substitute a better child, what does this imply about the first boy? Did Allah make him less pure? Surely if Allah can make the 2nd child more pure, than either He didn't make the first boy pure or made him less pure. 

I don't understand this point

3. Why was Khidr needed to kill this boy? Allah could have taken his life in any number of ways.

He was not needed, but that was how it went down. It was also necessary for Prophet Moses s.a to witness so he may be tested.

It was not one specific incident, it was one part of about three incidents which were all connected. If we want to find meaning in one then we have to look at the entire thing. I interpret it as: You see one pixel, God sees the entire picture. Everything that Khidr did was objectionable on the surface, but once Prophet Moses s.a found out how this was going to affect the future, he realized that it was actually a mercy.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, skinee said:

Salam whole of story was for examining  of prophet  Musa (عليه السلام) because such action was against  any divine  law like original  Torah in hands of him but prophet  Khidr has more divine  knowledge  than prophet Musa(عليه السلام) which at start of their journey  he warned prophet  Musa(عليه السلام) which he can't understand  goal his action  at first & he will leave prophet  Musa(عليه السلام) if he critcizes him three times for his actions  during  journy which definetly  prophet Khidr (عليه السلام) killed that boy by order of Allah as a tool for this action  which Allah used him for this action  as one of number of ways for killing  the kid , moral of story is that we must follow order of infallible  Imam withtout questioning him like Imam Ali(عليه السلام) was doing any action by order of prophet Muhammad (pbu)

When Muhammad Al- Mustafa ( Peace be upon him and his pure progeny) gives a Directive. Don't say we have the Book( or we Understand it differently) .