Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Tattoos

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

as-salaamu alaikum,

Are there any brothers on here that have tattoos? If so can you share? I have tattoos however none that have any Islamic meaning. I am looking for ideas tho on more religious types of tattoos. I know some will find tattoos distasteful, but I am a chicano, so its in my culture. I plan on getting many more. 

Guest Rey Mysterio

No I don't find it diststeful brother, but yes I'm not a tattoo person. And just be careful not to do verses of the Quran or the names of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) or the infallibles. Or even faces of living beings. https://www.al-islam.org/ask/topics/4276/questions-about-Tattoo 
https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2213/ 

Maybe some cool symbol or abstract sign. Or maybe a wise quote. 

• Advanced Member

I wish I could find a Shi'a tattoo artists. All the artists I come across are of the kuffar. Whats worse is the guy I usually go to is about 2 and half hours away and is an ex violent con lol. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Diaz said:

@Ashvazdanghe I love the first one but it’s very big. The last pic is not working brother.

Btw, is it true that we shouldn’t have any tattoo of any infallibles and Allah’s (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) name?

Lmaoo the amount of brothers that have Tattooes of imams it’s not funny. They also have 313 and quran and I promise you they do not even pray nor fast. Their aklaq is disgusting and every second word is F this F that. Massive trend is Australia. Religious tats but no religion in themselves. 

• Advanced Member
38 minutes ago, AliTanjiro said:

Lmaoo the amount of brothers that have Tattooes of imams it’s not funny. They also have 313 and quran and I promise you they do not even pray nor fast. Their aklaq is disgusting and every second word is F this F that. Massive trend is Australia. Religious tats but no religion in themselves. 

I know brother, they are disrespectful people. I know many people who are like that specially in my country. 

But it’s allowed to have these kind of tattoos?

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Diaz said:

But it’s allowed to have these kind of tattoos?

No, we shouldn't tattoo verses of the Qur'an or the names of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) or the Ahl al Bayth (a): 

• There is no difference between the well recognized Maraaji’ of Taqleed on the permissibility of having Tattoo. All of them say that it is permissible as far as it does not contain Quran or holy names of Allah and Infallible, and it should not be shown to non Mahram man if it is on female. Wassalam. 
  • I have not seen a fatwa which explicitly prohibits tattooing. However, one has to be careful what picture or image will be tatooed. Anything which is immoral or with sexual connotations will, of course be haram. Similarly, it has to be remembered that praying with clothes which have images (I believe author means images of faces/creatures here) on them is makruh. One could possibly extend this ruling to cover tattoos also. My personal advice would be not to undertake this practice which has no Islamic basis. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all.
  • Tattoos are allowed as far as it is a color which does not prevent water from reaching to the skin. Females should not show their tattoos to non mahram men. Wassalam.
  • https://www.al-islam.org/ask/topics/4276/questions-about-Tattoo 
Edited by AStruggler
  • Advanced Member
45 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

Tattoos are allowed as far as it is a color which does not prevent water from reaching to the skin. Females should not show their tattoos to non mahram men.

I don’t understand this, aren’t all the colors for permanent tattoos doesn’t allow water to reach our skin? 

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

image.jpeg.784e87c114b9123f9fa09e815823e456.jpeg islamic tattoo georges glorieux | islamic tattoo georges glo… | Flickr Islamic Ink; a Perspective on Tattoos - Ijtihad Network:D Islamic Ink; a Perspective on Tattoos - Ijtihad Network :D

That first one is beautiful. 

1 hour ago, AStruggler said:

attoos are allowed as far as it is a color which does not prevent water from reaching to the skin.

This has always been a strange view in my opinion. To me the ink becomes part of your skin. You still have pores regardless of a tattoo. I mean you also can grow hair (ie. if it is on your leg). I have a big tattoo of statue of liberty holding a rifle and my leg hair grows through it. The point is that it becomes part of the skin. It makes no sense that one would say your wudu is invalid or ghusl is invalid because you have tattoos and water cannot reach the skin. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, MexicanVato said:

This has always been a strange view in my opinion. To me the ink becomes part of your skin. You still have pores regardless of a tattoo. I mean you also can grow hair (ie. if it is on your leg). I have a big tattoo of statue of liberty holding a rifle and my leg hair grows through it. The point is that it becomes part of the skin. It makes no sense that one would say your wudu is invalid or ghusl is invalid because you have tattoos and water cannot reach the skin.

Yeah brother looks like they're fine according to the Grand Jurist and marja' of taqlid Ayatollah al Sistani:

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01336/ 

Question & Answer » Tattoos

1Question: Is it permissible to get a tattoo?
Answer: There is no problem in it per se.

2Question: What is the Islamic law about tattoos? Do they affect the wudhu and ghusl?
Answer: Tattoos are permissible and they do not affect wudhu irrespective of whether they are permanent or temporary.
  • Advanced Member
11 hours ago, MexicanVato said:

It makes no sense that one would say your wudu is invalid or ghusl is invalid because you have tattoos and water cannot reach the skin. 

Salam don't  be like this :D

amir tatalo - ویسگون  7 Tatalo ideas | soldier tattoo, usmc tattoo, marine tattoo

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Yeah brother looks like they're fine according to the Grand Jurist and marja' of taqlid Ayatollah al Sistani:

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01336/

Question & Answer » Tattoos

1Question: Is it permissible to get a tattoo?
Answer: There is no problem in it per se.

2Question: What is the Islamic law about tattoos? Do they affect the wudhu and ghusl?
Answer: Tattoos are permissible and they do not affect wudhu irrespective of whether they are permanent or temporary.

Personally I don’t like tattoos and one reason for not getting any is that it’s not a nice look if I’m trying my best to follow the sunnah of rasool and ahlul bayt. I understand don’t judge by looks but I can’t imagine the prophets and imams repping 313 and having zulfiqar tattooes yet same time being the best of people it just doesn’t look good.