Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Quran Notes

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

IMG_20210421_141249.thumb.jpg.7b7c315c44b35bcaf7dcd7b9cd717ed0.jpg

"If We had sent down this Qur’ān upon a mountain, you would have seen it humbled and splitting from fear of Allah. And these examples We present to the people that perhaps they will give thought."

— Saheeh International

لَوْ أَنزَلْنَا هَـٰذَا ٱلْقُرْءَانَ عَلَىٰ جَبَلٍ لَّرَأَيْتَهُۥ خَـٰشِعًا مُّتَصَدِّعًا مِّنْ خَشْيَةِ ٱللَّهِ ۚ وَتِلْكَ ٱلْأَمْثَـٰلُ نَضْرِبُهَا لِلنَّاسِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ

To me this is a verse that reminds me of the prediction of the end days companions of the Mahdi being able to split mountains if they want to. It is my strong belief that this will be done through verses of the Quran. Verses such as this one will be read and the deed will be done, including removing any obstacle such as mountains if need be. Allahu Aalam. 

• Advanced Member

IMG_20210421_141343.thumb.jpg.ecf9bb82e56b201259d7eee4c4723903.jpg

Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

— Saheeh International

إِلَّا مَن تَابَ وَءَامَنَ وَعَمِلَ عَمَلًا صَـٰلِحًا فَأُو۟لَـٰٓئِكَ يُبَدِّلُ ٱللَّهُ سَيِّـَٔاتِهِمْ حَسَنَـٰتٍ ۗ وَكَانَ ٱللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

This verse is so important. How bad deeds we did actually don't get blotted out of removed, but replaced and turned into good deeds. Do something haram today, and tomorrow it could be something good. 

The key here (in this verse) is

1 - repenting 

2 - putting your safety with God

3 - doing good deeds

.. So doing those three things are a recipe to someday laugh at how stupid you were, or say something like, "it was a good experience". We kind of make peace with our past.

I'm one of the few Muslims who does not believe in infallibility of any creature, including all humans, but if God replaced the bad of someone, then technically they are mistake-free. But still fallible, because fallible means they are capable of doing mistakes to start with, and the same word used here in Arabic ( su') is used in context to prophets elsewhere in the Quran.

But it is such a hopeful thing to imagine that we don't despair when having done a mistake. It can be replaced with a good deed. 

• Advanced Member

IMG_20210421_141445.thumb.jpg.b68c450ab32d0ddd09aadbc8c10b9df4.jpg

وَعِبَادُ ٱلرَّحْمَـٰنِ ٱلَّذِينَ يَمْشُونَ عَلَى ٱلْأَرْضِ هَوْنًا وَإِذَا خَاطَبَهُمُ ٱلْجَـٰهِلُونَ قَالُوا۟ سَلَـٰمًا

"And the servants of (Allah) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, "Peace!"; "

This is such a beautiful verse, and says so much somehow. Shows how the ignorant are not the same as the rejecting (kufar) people. People who do not have knowledge or wrong information should be treated kindly. That's what I understood anyway. 

• Advanced Member

IMG_20210421_141654.thumb.jpg.dab555431c07dc8ac4bf4aac1f90848d.jpg

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ ٱلْقَيِّمِ مِن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِىَ يَوْمٌ لَّا مَرَدَّ لَهُۥ مِنَ ٱللَّهِ ۖ يَوْمَئِذٍ يَصَّدَّعُونَ

"So direct your face toward the correct religion before a Day comes from Allah of which there is no repelling. That Day, they will be divided" 

OK so that is one of the translations, but what was new to me was the Arabic version, where it literally says 'qum' your face towards the 'qayim' religion.. 

It is the same root word used as qum, qaim, qyama, mustaqeem, and qawm. In verb form it is commonly used for getting up. So it is an intetesting use of the word qum twice in that sentence. One of Gods names is Al Qayyum. I like to study uses of words in the Quran, and this one is quite unique. I'm especially interested in studying contexts of this word qum. Thanks 

• Advanced Member

IMG_20210421_142638.thumb.jpg.1156839ce5bcfc4c1f202dae18b4c178.jpg

Here are three verses that talk about the good Christians and Jews.

1 - 

إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ وَٱلَّذِينَ هَادُوا۟ وَٱلصَّـٰبِـُٔونَ وَٱلنَّصَـٰرَىٰ مَنْ ءَامَنَ بِٱللَّهِ وَٱلْيَوْمِ ٱلْـَٔاخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَـٰلِحًا فَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ

"Indeed, those who have believed and those who were Jews or Sabeans or Christians - those who believed in Allah and the Last Day and did righteousness - no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve."

— Saheeh International

Here the super interesting part is not only how other religions can make it to paradise, but that they are referred to in Arabic as putting their amn (safety) in Allah, making them mumineen. For me it shows proof that a Christian, Jew, etc can be classified as Mu'min according to the Quran. 

2 - 

وَمِن قَوْمِ مُوسَىٰٓ أُمَّةٌ يَهْدُونَ بِٱلْحَقِّ وَبِهِۦ يَعْدِلُونَ

"And among the people of Moses is a community which guides by truth and by it establishes justice."

— Saheeh International

Here of course ew see how followers of Moses can be just guides for mankind. 

3 - 

وَقَطَّعْنَـٰهُمْ فِى ٱلْأَرْضِ أُمَمًا ۖ مِّنْهُمُ ٱلصَّـٰلِحُونَ وَمِنْهُمْ دُونَ ذَٰلِكَ ۖ وَبَلَوْنَـٰهُم بِٱلْحَسَنَـٰتِ وَٱلسَّيِّـَٔاتِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْجِعُونَ

We broke them up into sections on this earth. There are among them some that are the righteous, and some that are the opposite. We have tried them with both prosperity and adversity: In order that they might turn (to us).

— Yusuf Ali

This one indicates that when the diaspora of 12 tribes happened, that there are among them good ones referred to as saliheen. Or doers of good. 

So God basically is trying them with good times and bad times so they can return to Him. 

• Advanced Member

1793179374_IMG_20210421_143045(1).thumb.jpg.fdcba1416f55e62e0bd4b240f49ef6fd.jpg

This is really like a heart ecstacy I got when Allah revealed this one to me. 

I am the kind of guy who gets a kick out of finding new things and exploring places nobody's been to. So after discovering a link that it seems nobody did, months later I found this other verse that supports my idea. 

This idea idea was first published on this thread :

So to summarize it, I found a confirmation of the Eastern philosophy visible in Daoism that describes the original creation process in numbers where 1 created 2 (yin yang) , then from the 2 they are creating all possible variations of yin yangs, then all 8 possible variations of three sets of either yin or yang. And everything in the universe was created from these 8.

Yin is represented by a broken line, and yang by a complete line. 

1476505310_IMG_20210421_230422(1).thumb.jpg.ff98158fb9992f3e928be666b296d6ac.jpg

Anyways here is the verse with my own translation :

He created you of one self; thereafter He made from it its spouse (i.e. two), and He has sent down to you of the blessings (my own choice of the word ن ع م ) eight kinds ( ز و ج ). He creates you in your mothers' bellies, creation even after creation, in threefold darkness. 39:6

خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَٰحِدَةٍ ثُمَّ جَعَلَ مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا وَأَنزَلَ لَكُم مِّنَ ٱلْأَنْعَـٰمِ ثَمَـٰنِيَةَ أَزْوَٰجٍ ۚ يَخْلُقُكُمْ فِى بُطُونِ أُمَّهَـٰتِكُمْ خَلْقًا مِّنۢ بَعْدِ خَلْقٍ فِى ظُلُمَـٰتٍ ثَلَـٰثٍ ۚ ذَٰلِكُمُ ٱللَّهُ رَبُّكُمْ لَهُ ٱلْمُلْكُ ۖ لَآ إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ ۖ فَأَنَّىٰ تُصْرَفُونَ

One of the parts that some might argue in my translation is the part where I use the word thamanya azwaj. Zawj is usually understood as couples. 8 2s basically. But the daoist model is 8 3s, which is supported miraculously by the term threefold darkness at the end of the verse. So the above verse in the note shows that the word zajw can be more than two. It can be used as 'class' basically. 

"And you become [of] three kinds:"

— Saheeh International

وَكُنتُمْ أَزْوَٰجًا ثَلَـٰثَةً

So that verse supports the connection and confirmation of the Quran having a similar creation map as the eastern philosophies, which use this blueprint to attain all kinds of skills, competencies and awareness. Masha Allah. 

Of course the number eight being the number of angels holding up God's Throne also confirms this. It makes sense to me that God 's Throne is based on the most basic building blocks of the creations. Each "Element" will have an angel /owner / malaak who is the Imam of this element. Two of them being earth and fire, that were represented by Adam and Iblis at one point. 

There are beautiful hadiths on the elemental creation story in usoul El Kafi volume 8, I believe. Maybe some day if God gives me life, I can publish further connections and studies on this topic. In Sha Allah i

• Advanced Member

IMG_20210421_143321.thumb.jpg.f3a030c94680beb3f5e5ad18cc18f250.jpg

And they will not remember except that Allah wills. He is worthy of fear and adequate for forgiveness.

— Saheeh International

وَمَا يَذْكُرُونَ إِلَّآ أَن يَشَآءَ ٱللَّهُ ۚ هُوَ أَهْلُ ٱلتَّقْوَىٰ وَأَهْلُ ٱلْمَغْفِرَةِ

This reminds us that even to remember our think of God is a result of God willing it first. So we can't take credit for anything, including our thoughts. 

What is also highly interesting here is that here is the only verse as far as I know where Allah refers to Himself as "ahl" of fear and forgiveness. Here the translator translated it to the words "worthy" and "adequate". which I don't think are the best uses, but one can write and think a lot about the meaning of that. We are used to have the word ahl to be multiple beings, but here it is for the One. Masha Allah. So many beautiful mysteries in the Quran. Maybe one can delve into the possible symbology of this some other time. Beautiful discoveries alhamdulilah in the treasure book. 

• Advanced Member

IMG_20210422_210020.thumb.jpg.aaf660ee4b4d18faab38cda5f3a2e4b8.jpg

وَلَوْ أَنَّا كَتَبْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ أَنِ ٱقْتُلُوٓا۟ أَنفُسَكُمْ أَوِ ٱخْرُجُوا۟ مِن دِيَـٰرِكُم مَّا فَعَلُوهُ إِلَّا قَلِيلٌ مِّنْهُمْ ۖ وَلَوْ أَنَّهُمْ فَعَلُوا۟ مَا يُوعَظُونَ بِهِۦ لَكَانَ خَيْرًا لَّهُمْ وَأَشَدَّ تَثْبِيتًا

"And if We had decreed upon them, "Kill yourselves" or "Leave your homes," they would not have done it, except for a few of them. But if they had done what they were instructed, it would have been better for them and a firmer position"

— Saheeh International

.. Here Allah talks about killing oneself for Allah. Just noticed this for the first time today. 

• Advanced Member

@Allah Seeker Thanks friend for sharing all these insights.  I've been following along and found it very interesting - waiting for the next one!

As a follower of Jesus the Messiah it is really interesting to get you perspective on the Qur'an and to see how you understand it.

I also keep a notbook like yours and each day add prayers and responses and thoughts based on the verses of the Bible which I am reading.

Some time ago I did the same for the Qur'an.  I'm not sure whether a non Muslims perspective would be acceptable.

May God guide you to the truth as you seek him!