Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can the Prophet (s) And the Imams (as) heal us?

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Wa alaikum as salam

As per our teachings, the healer is Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

See 26:80 in the Qur'an.

We do also have the example of Prophet Isa (عليه السلام) healing the lepers and the blind by the permission of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

However the belief is that the healer is Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), and prophetic miracles, medicine, doctors are means or intermediaries who don't inherently possess the power of healing.

• Basic Members
8 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Wa alaikum as salam

As per our teachings, the healer is Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

See 26:80 in the Qur'an.

We do also have the example of Prophet Isa (عليه السلام) healing the lepers and the blind by the permission of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

However the belief is that the healer is Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), and prophetic miracles, medicine, doctors are means or intermediaries who don't inherently possess the power of healing.

Thank you for your reply!

Of course Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is the healer,but he (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gave them the Wilayat Takwiniyyah,so does that mean that they could theoretically use it to heal us,like Isa (عليه السلام) did?I couldn’t read that out of your post.

Even if it would be possible,this wouldn’t mean that Allah isn’t the healer at all.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, shia8 said:

Thank you for your reply!

Of course Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is the healer,but he (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gave them the Wilayat Takwiniyyah,so does that mean that they could theoretically use it to heal us,like Isa (عليه السلام) did?I couldn’t read that out of your post.

Even if it would be possible,this wouldn’t mean that Allah isn’t the healer at all.

Generally speaking, such attributes are not assigned to the ambiya and the awliya in our teachings.

I recommend to refer to the section on ghulu here:

Link

You will find in various narrations that the aimmah (عليه السلام) were very strict on this matter an strongly condemned anyone who assigned attributes to them which are reserved for Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

For this reason it is best to be very precautious and to follow the strict line of tawheed that the ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) have consistently emphasized.

• Basic Members
1 hour ago, Mahdavist said:

Generally speaking, such attributes are not assigned to the ambiya and the awliya in our teachings.

I recommend to refer to the section on ghulu here:

Link

You will find in various narrations that the aimmah (عليه السلام) were very strict on this matter an strongly condemned anyone who assigned attributes to them which are reserved for Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

For this reason it is best to be very precautious and to follow the strict line of tawheed that the ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) have consistently emphasized.

And how,for example,did Isa (عليه السلام) heal blind people?What I mean is this.

Did Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) give him the ability to do this and he (عليه السلام) was able to do it with His (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) permission?Or how is that?So the Aimmah (عليه السلام) should be able to do the same by the ability that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gave them and by Allah’s permission?

I really don’t understand this.

• Basic Members
40 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Prophets and Imams (عليهم اسلام) doesn't have power independent of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) 

Ofccc They don’t!Astaghfirullah That's not what I meant  at all!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, shia8 said:

Did Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) give him the ability to do this and he (عليه السلام) was able to do it with His (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) permission?

Yes, that is what the verse says.

Guest Psychological Warfare

I breath with the Permission of Allah(عزّ وجلّ). 

Not sure, why I do need to repeat it multiple times. Its a given and acknowledge Fact. 

However, I do not ask permission to breath every time I need to as this permission( Ability) is intrinsic to me and and given by the Creator. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Prophets and Imams (عليهم اسلام) doesn't have power independent of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) 

I would also like to mention that although they are not independent of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), their status is not like any fallible human beings and we cannot comprehend that. The similitude of them vs us is like knowledge, wisdom, experience, etc. of an intellectual vs that of a new born baby. i.e incomparable. 

Guest FULAN

Salamun Alaykum,

@shia8 The other day I went to the doctor due to an illness I had. The doctor advised me to take a certain medicine as a cure.  I was cured after taking the medicine.  My Question to you is..  Did the medicine heal me or did God heal me?

We all know it is God and God alone who heals.  And yet we know that without taking the medicine we won't be healed.  Where does the rain come from?  Does God pour down the rain or does it come from the clouds?  It is both!  God, and God alone pours down the rain and yet, the rain appears to be coming from the clouds!  There is meaning (Ma'na) and there is form (Sura).  In meaning, God is the only doer.  In form, however, there are many doers!  The meaning behind all the forms is One Meaning (aka God).  All forms point to One Ultimate Truth.

So, yes, the Imams (or for that matter any other saints) may have "powers" to heal.  But this power is ultimately none other than the Power of God (in meaning).

IF the Imams reprimanded people who attributing such powers to them it is only because they don't want you to miss the point by forgetting the Meaning!  If you do not see the meaning behind their form, it is shirk.  IF you see the meaning behind their form, it is not shirk!   

• Advanced Member

Wassalam,

That is not even a fraction of what the infallibles (عليه السلام) can do. They can surely do this, and a lot more.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

Salam,

Rasul (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is the City of knowledge and Ali (عليه السلام) is the gate.

Where to get the knowledge, even now,...we ever need more knowledge from the Prophet and Imams.  Especially the interpretation of Quran that relevant to our time.

Can we forget the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ali (عليه السلام), since the City of knowledge and the gate are all physically dead and not attached to us now, we will be deprived to that knowledge.

Ok ok, I understand...we go straight to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and ask for that knowledge!!!!, since the contributions of our physical Prophet and Imams were relics of the past. Go ahead for those who believe in this method.

However, in Surah alFatiha...we are required to be with those whom Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) give Blessings if we need to put  our need and worship Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Both "Prophethood and Imamat" are alive and kicking, and both belong to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and part of His Mercy to us.  Just physical aspects of Prophethood and 11 aspects of Imamat have been fulfilled and completed.  The final aspect of physical Imamat will be completed soon. However, the spiritual aspects of Prophethood and Imamat are alive!  It will see us again in Barzakh and Akhirat where we need their their syafaat.  For those who want to go straight to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in Akhirat...go ahead.  No one will stop you.

Wallahualam. 

Edited by layman
  • Advanced Member

When Quran e Samit has given the capacity to heal us, why not the Quran e Natiq asws? 

وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ مَا هُوَ شِفَاء وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَلاَ يَزِيدُ الظَّالِمِينَ إَلاَّ خَسَارًا

17:82 

• Advanced Member

Why we need to say "bismillah" before doing anything? Why the "ism" has been placed here with a ba? Why we are not commanded to say "billah" instead of bismillah? 

What is the nature & reality of ism in bismillah?

And note there is no exception, we have to say bismillah before starting anything, before starting everything.

• Veteran Member
27 minutes ago, Cool said:

Why we need to say "bismillah" before doing anything?

For example, Ayats 9:51 and 29:45.

ln short, Remembrance of the God of Noah, Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). is the greatest thing you can do in Life.

• Advanced Member

As has been stated all healing is done through Allah or by Allah's leave. Isa (عليه السلام) healed by Allah's will. The Nabi al-Mustafa (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) also healed by Allah's blessing. None has independent power outside of Allah. This is true even for you and I that make actions. Our actions are only by the will of Allah. With that said, there have been many miracles attributed to the Imams of the Ahlul Bayt (Alayhum salam). This is especially so with Imam Ali (عليه السلام). Sufis and Shi'a can testify to miracles in their communities from making tawassul through Imam Ali (عليه السلام). There was an alim that used to heal people by saying Ya Ali and striking them on the chest. On another note tawassul is a practice that both Sunni and Shi'a agree upon. Only the likes of ibn taymiyya and ibn abdul wahab have casted doubts on such practices.