Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Controversies around Sayyid Fadhlullah

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalaamu Alaykum Brothers and Sisters,

I have been going through the works and thoughts of the late, Ayatullah Sayyid Fadhlullah and I found him to be a very controversial personality. Not in terms of his position and opinions and his stances. But rather because of the attacks made on him. 

My question is: Was Sayyid Fadhlullah really called out by most of the senior scholars of Qom and Najaf as 'the one on error', 'deviant' etc? One of the scholars did even call him for a debate and then Mubahila in from of the Prophet's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) mosque.

So, is this all correct? Below link shows the statements of all those scholars:

http://desunna.blogspot.com/p/baraa.html?m=1

On this page, in the section 'Shia scholars on Fadhlullah', you can find all the statements.

I would like to remind that I want to confirm what is written here because all other things on this page about scholars that I could validate were nothing but pure fallacy. Taking things out of context and attacking scholars. But for sayyid Fadhlullah, it was quite extreme. I do want to validate this?

If all of it is correct, then my question is that what was the crime that Sayyid committed to face such a response??

So, I am sorry but I will follow up with a series of questions and follow ups.

• Advanced Member

It makes me more certain that he was right. Just like how the entire world saying Khomeini and Khamenei are evil tyrants makes me more certain that they are right. When I see an idea or person get attacked, not to be confused with argued against, then I wonder if it is the truth.

Though I'm not talking about the scholars, I can't say anything about them because they are on a higher level and are considering ideas that are beyond me. I am referring to the laymuslims whose behavior turns nasty when they talk about FadlAllah. They are composed and fair when talking about atheists and anti-muslims, but FadlAllah hits a nerve for some reason. This makes me suspicious and I take it as an argument against them and for FadlAllah.

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Zainuu said:

Assalaamu Alaykum Brothers and Sisters,

I have been going through the works and thoughts of the late, Ayatullah Sayyid Fadhlullah and I found him to be a very controversial personality. Not in terms of his position and opinions and his stances. But rather because of the attacks made on him. 

My question is: Was Sayyid Fadhlullah really called out by most of the senior scholars of Qom and Najaf as 'the one on error', 'deviant' etc? One of the scholars did even call him for a debate and then Mubahila in from of the Prophet's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) mosque.

So, is this all correct? Below link shows the statements of all those scholars:

http://desunna.blogspot.com/p/baraa.html?m=1

On this page, in the section 'Shia scholars on Fadhlullah', you can find all the statements.

I would like to remind that I want to confirm what is written here because all other things on this page about scholars that I could validate were nothing but pure fallacy. Taking things out of context and attacking scholars. But for sayyid Fadhlullah, it was quite extreme. I do want to validate this?

If all of it is correct, then my question is that what was the crime that Sayyid committed to face such a response??

So, I am sorry but I will follow up with a series of questions and follow ups.

Wassalam,

Yes, some very senior ulama of both Qom and Najaf, many of them Marājā, did bring out the statement against him. Although I don't know what happened afterwards. I won't mention their names to avoid fitnā, but there are names that you will be surprised to find there. The statement is not a fabrication.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Zainuu said:

But for sayyid Fadhlullah, it was quite extreme.

:salam:

Al-Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn Faḍl Allāh (b. 1354/1935 – d. 1431/2010) was a Lebanese Shi'a Marja' and author. He regularly performed religious and cultural activities in Lebanon. It is told that he had been the spiritual leader of Hezbollah for some time. He was kidnapped once and was the victim of failed assassinations for four times. His rulings on the unity of Muslims, mourning, and women are noteworthy. Al-Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah was one of the founders and an ex-member of the supreme council of the Ahl al-Bayt (a) World Assembly. Al-Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah passed away on Rajab 21, 1431/ July 4, 2010 in Lebanon and was buried in Haret Hreik inside his mosque.

When Lebanon was attacked by the Zionists, youths mostly influenced by Fadl Allah, started an unorganized Islamic resistance movement. This movement has evolved nowadays both in form and organization and the most important branch of which is Hizb Allah. It has and has been intellectually fed by Fadl Allah himself. Fadl Allah's significant position in the Islamic resistance movement once led to his kidnapping and four times made him a victim of failed assassination attempts.

Relationship with the Islamic Republic of Iran
When al-Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah passed away, some news outlets including BBC Persian claimed that his relationship with the supreme leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Khamene'i was not good.

However, al-Sayyid Ali, son of Fadl Allah, after his father passed away, made clear the good relationship between his father and the supreme leader of the Islamic Republic in an interview with IRNA, he said: "In a meeting, my father said: 'if the situation goes on in a way that all stone me out and insult me, I would never stop supporting Islamic Republic of Iran, because Iran is now representing Islam and the path of Ahl al-Bayt (a) and it is on the frontline of struggling against arrogance'". Ayatollah Khamenei appointed him as a member of Ahl al-Bayt (a) World Assembly. He also delivered a message of condolence after Fadl Allah's demise.

Special Views

Martyrdom of Lady Fatima (s)

One important controversy of his time was the issue of his rulings on the question of "martyrdom or demise" of Lady Fatima (s). Apparently, it all began from a tape in which he questions the reference of some hadiths on this issue. His questioning of the martyrdom of Lady Fatima (s) resulted in a series of adversaries against it. 

Unity of Muslims

"The issue is not Sunni or Shia; but rather it is the world's imperialists and Israel." This is a quote from al-Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah in his interview with OTV channel in April 2008.

Mourning

Many scholars believe that mourning sessions devoted for Ahl al-Bayt (a) (like sessions held in Muharram) should be held in accordance to its traditions.

Women

Al-Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah believed that women were subject to inequalities in history. In al-Shara' magazine he said, "I believe that women have been oppressed during history. While their intellect and abilities are like that of men, they have been refrained from getting the knowledge and experience they needed and regarded as toys and servants to men."

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Al-Sayyid_Muhammad_Husayn_Fadl_Allah

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

Wassalam,

Yes, some very senior ulama of both Qom and Najaf, many of them Marājā, did bring out the statement against him. Although I don't know what happened afterwards. I won't mention their names to avoid fitnā, but there are names that you will be surprised to find there. The statement is not a fabrication.

The only thing he did out of the box and probably that no one did was that he questioned the incident of burning of house and breaking of ribs of Sayyeda Zehra (عليه السلام). And no brother! don't need to name them. But in any sense is it the correct representation of the school of ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) to pass some extreme comments on a scholar whose views don't match with us at some point? 

He never challenged any pillar of faith. He never challenged any Furooh or Usool or fundamental of Shiism. 

Wanted to share more but I think it will then trigger so I will remain quiet on this for now.

My only point is that there must be some tolerance. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Zainuu said:

The only thing he did out of the box and probably that no one did was that he questioned the incident of burning of house and breaking of ribs of Sayyeda Zehra (عليه السلام). And no brother! don't need to name them. But in any sense is it the correct representation of the school of ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) to pass some extreme comments on a scholar whose views don't match with us at some point? 

He never challenged any pillar of faith. He never challenged any Furooh or Usool or fundamental of Shiism. 

Wanted to share more but I think it will then trigger so I will remain quiet on this for now.

My only point is that there must be some tolerance. 

He didn't even say it didn't happen, he basically said we don't have enough to confirm OR deny it.