Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Question from a nonmuslim

Rate this topic

Guest Salvi

So a nonmuslim friend of mine got into an argument with me about Islam viewing women as property on some level and he had a question that I could not answer:

Why don't men need their fathers permission to get married, why is it only the women that need permission? Can they not think and decide for themselves as grown adults? 

• Advanced Member

This isn't the official position of Islam just my opinion: Marriage has the potential to destroy a woman much more than a man, so we need more checkpoints. Throughout the marriage the woman is much more vulnerable than the man. If she's dealing with a scumbag he could leave her and she's left to take care of the kids alone and support herself at the same time. The man could live like he never got married in the first place. Tell your friend that there are a lot less Muslims single mothers than non Muslim ones. In the US, roughly 10% of households are single mother, and about 25% of those are in poverty.

• Advanced Member

Because in the event of a marriage failing, women suffer disproportionately higher than the men who abandon them.

Guest chips

if you want to respond on their level as a non-muslim, respond by asking them why fathers are way more protective of their daughters than their sons at prom etc? its a natural instinct. also guys know guys, thats why the dads question the boyfriends more.

Islam offers complete protection, not restriction, to girls.