Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

"He Created You from a Single Soul"

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

سلام

I've looked through our narrations to find an authentic narration to properly understand the following: 

خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ ثُمَّ جَعَلَ مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا

This is part of 39:6.

"He created you from a single being/nafs, then made from her her spouse."

The words مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا have female pronoun suffixes, referring to the نفس/nafs. Therefore, this nafs is a female or a feminine entity. It is probably not Adam. 

So, my first question is, what/who is this نفس واحدة? 

I Couldn't find any authentic narration to clarify this issue, and even weak narrations are all over the place, and do not point to a single coherent story.

"Nafs" refers to a living being. 

So, it seems, we are created from one living female being/nafs. 

Edited by SoRoUsH
  • Advanced Member

Could it may be a grammar thing? The word itself may be feminine, but in actuality it doesn't necessarily have to be a feminine entity. Like the word for car in arabic is سيارة which is a feminine word, but is obviously not a female. But the nafs is not inanimate so it may be different? I don't know, but sure am I interested

• Veteran Member
46 minutes ago, ahlulbaytkr said:

car in arabic is سيارة which is a feminine word, but is obviously not a female.

A car is feminine because it carries within passengers. A car is feminine because it is a receptive thing; it receives things inside of it. 

We could argue, and it has been argued by some Sufis, that nafs, of men and women, is a feminine thing, since it carries the spirit and Fitra in it. 

• Veteran Member
10 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

We could argue, and it has been argued by some Sufis, that nafs, of men and women, is a feminine thing, since it carries the spirit and Fitra in it. 

If we choose this line of argument, and if we accept that we are all created from Adam, then we must qualify our belief to be that we are created from a feminine "part" of Adam, namely, his feminine nafs. 

The question that emerges is, what is the relationship between Adam's feminine nafs and Adam? 

Our nafs cannot be our whole being, including our physical body, since it leaves our body during sleep. 

Was Adam, himself, created from this نفس واحداة? 

• Advanced Member
On 4/13/2021 at 3:11 AM, SoRoUsH said:

سلام

I've looked through our narrations to find an authentic narration to properly understand the following: 

The words مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا have female pronoun suffixes, referring to the نفس/nafs. Therefore, this nafs is a female or a feminine entity. It is probably not Adam. 

I Couldn't find any authentic narration to clarify this issue, and even weak narrations are all over the place, and do not point to a single coherent story.

what I understood from the verse  as

Nafs : What comes forth from a living being in the act of تَنَفُّس  ,   lanes’ lexicon.

Nafsin wahidatin may refers to  an emitted out a single sperm cell that fertilizes the egg cell

Sperm cell of the male and egg cell of the women couple together to form zygote in the fallopian tube.

Egg cell of the female which couple with the sperm cell is called as  ‘zawj’ (one of the pair) of  the sperm cell .

Zawj signifies one of a pair or couple and also a pair and couple together.

Then  he made from her (female) its (sperm cell’s)  pair (egg cell)

He created you from emitted out single (sperm cell ) then he made from her(female) its (sperm cell’s) pair (egg cell).39:6

So the verse meant to say that  you are created by an emitted out sperm cell then it fuses with the egg cell.

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, elite said:

Then  he made from her

So, you're saying the word مِنْهَا isn't connected to the نفس? 

I'm not quite sure, since in the statement, the phrase "from her" must be referring to a known noun. It's hard to assume that "her" is referring to a female human being. 

For example, we can't say, "I like the taste of it" without first knowing what "it" is referring to. 

Similarly, we can't say, "Then He made from her" without first knowing what/who "her" is referring to. 

We have no reason to think that "her" in that sentence is referring to a female human being. So, there seems to be a grammatical/logical issue with your proposition.

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

So, you're saying the word مِنْهَا isn't connected to the نفس? 

I'm not quite sure, since in the statement, the phrase "from her" must be referring to a known noun. It's hard to assume that "her" is referring to a female human being. 

For example, we can't say, "I like the taste of it" without first knowing what "it" is referring to. 

Similarly, we can't say, "Then He made from her" without first knowing what/who "her" is referring to. 

We have no reason to think that "her" in that sentence is referring to a female human being. So, there seems to be a grammatical/logical issue with your proposition.

verse  39:6 is taking about the human reproduction by the male & female.

Verse further states that “ He creates you in the wombs of your mothers, creation after creation…39:6

At the other place in the verse 49:13 quran says that  “O mankind indeed we created you from a male and a female…”

Thus  it can be assumed that pronoun “ha” in “minha” refers to a female.

• Advanced Member
On 4/13/2021 at 2:41 AM, SoRoUsH said:

Its a noun, a genderless entity. Perhaps denoting to a "form" (hay'ah) which finally carried the Ruh

أَنِّي أَخْلُقُ لَكُم مِّنَ الطِّينِ كَهَيْئَةِ الطَّيْرِ فَأَنفُخُ فِيهِ فَيَكُونُ طَيْرًا

3:49

I suggest you to take into consideration verse 4:1 where الناس is a masculine noun, and the verse carries male pronouns as well till it reach to نفس واحدة :

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ اتَّقُواْ رَبَّكُمُ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ وَخَلَقَ مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا وَبَثَّ مِنْهُمَا رِجَالاً كَثِيرًا وَنِسَاء

4:1

Then we have another verse:

مَّا خَلْقُكُمْ وَلَا بَعْثُكُمْ إِلَّا كَنَفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ إِنَّ اللَّهَ سَمِيعٌ بَصِيرٌ

31:28

كم in خلقكم، بعثكم are male pronouns yet the verse goes forward and introduce nafsin wahidatin.  

• Advanced Member
On 4/14/2021 at 10:49 AM, elite said:

Nafs : What comes forth from a living being in the act of تَنَفُّس  ,   lanes’ lexicon.

Another verse 6:98

"And He is the one who initiated you (plural) from one self, then place/time of settling and place/time of leaving/storing. Indeed We made the Ayat distinct for people who understand."

وَهُوَ الَّذِيَ أَنشَأَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ فَمُسْتَقَرٌّ وَمُسْتَوْدَعٌ قَدْ فَصَّلْنَا الآيَاتِ لِقَوْمٍ يَفْقَهُونَ

The contrasting of Mutaqarr and Mustawadaa is interesting.  Linguistically mustaqarr would be the place/time of staying put. The people of Tafsir had several understanding of that term including the womb, but also the surface of the earth and the ground of the earth. Basically covering the stages of our human life from being in our mother’s womb to living to dying and being burried somewhere on earth. All those meanings apply and fall within the understanding of the term MUSTAQARR.

MUSTAWDaAA can take the meaning of place/time of storage but also the place and time of saying good bye or leaving or letting go. This was also understood by the people of Tafsir in different ways mainly amongst them being in the sperm of the humanity. This understanding actually covers the meaning of storage and of letting go at the same time since we are stored for a time and then we are let go.

• Advanced Member

Scientifically, some scientists believe that نفس واحدة refers to "Mitochondrial Eve" which is said to be the matrilineal most recent ancestor of all modern humans.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, SoRoUsH said:

I always tought these ayats were reverring to a couple (men and female together)

but clearly thats not what it means. i will search up the tafseer and let you all know what i found

Edited by F.M
  • Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Cool said:

Scientifically, some scientists believe that نفس واحدة refers to "Mitochondrial Eve" which is said to be the matrilineal most recent ancestor of all modern humans.

l find this kind of thing -which l have heard of this before- an observation-made-to-politically-modify .

Last Winter, l read something which nullified this concept, but unfortunately l cannot remember 'what' or 'where.'

• Advanced Member

I found this

[39:4] If Allah Intended to take a son for Himself, Hewould have Chosenwhatever He so Desires to from what He Created. Glory be to Him: He is Allah,the One, the Subduer [39:5] He Createdthe skies and the earth with the Truth;He Makes the night to roll on to the day and Makes the day to roll on to thenight, and He has made the sun and the moon subservient; each one runs onto an Assigned term; Indeed He is the Mighty, the Forgiver [39:6] He hasCreated you from a single being, then Made from it, its pair, and He has Madedescend for you from the cattle, eight pairs. He Creates you in the wombs ofyour mothers a creation after a creation intriple darkness; that is Allah yourLord, His is the Kingdom; there is no god but He; So how then are you turnedaway?

Abu AbdullahPaswsPhas said: ‘NoahPasPcarried eighty pairs in the ship about whichAllahPazwjPMighty and Majestic has Said:“[6:143] Eight in pairs – two of sheep andtwo of goats[6:144] And two of camels and two of cows”. So, from the pairs ofthe sheep were two sheep which were domestic ones which thepeople rear (keep),and another pair of sheep which were mountainous and wild sheep which are lawfulto be hunted. And from the pair of goats, one was of thedomesticated kind which thepeople rear, and another pair were the antelopes which are foundin the wilderness.And from the camels were two Al-Bukhaty and the Arabic (camels). And from thecows, was a pair of the kind domesticatedto the people and another pair of cowswere the wild ones. And every kind of good birds, wildor domesticated. Then theearth submerged’

p.png?page=4&scale_percent=0

p.png?page=5&scale_percent=0

---------

this is what I found, let me see if i can also find something of tafseer al mizan (most authentic)

• Advanced Member
On 4/15/2021 at 1:12 PM, Cool said:

Another verse 6:98

"And He is the one who initiated you (plural) from one self, then place/time of settling and place/time of leaving/storing. Indeed We made the Ayat distinct for people who understand."

وَهُوَ الَّذِيَ أَنشَأَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ فَمُسْتَقَرٌّ وَمُسْتَوْدَعٌ قَدْ فَصَّلْنَا الآيَاتِ لِقَوْمٍ يَفْقَهُونَ

The contrasting of Mutaqarr and Mustawadaa is interesting.  Linguistically mustaqarr would be the place/time of staying put. The people of Tafsir had several understanding of that term including the womb, but also the surface of the earth and the ground of the earth. Basically covering the stages of our human life from being in our mother’s womb to living to dying and being burried somewhere on earth. All those meanings apply and fall within the understanding of the term MUSTAQARR.

MUSTAWDaAA can take the meaning of place/time of storage but also the place and time of saying good bye or leaving or letting go. This was also understood by the people of Tafsir in different ways mainly amongst them being in the sperm of the humanity. This understanding actually covers the meaning of storage and of letting go at the same time since we are stored for a time and then we are let go.

After the egg is released from female's ovary, it moves into the fallopian tube. It stays there for about 24 hours, waiting for single sperm to fertilize it.

He is the one who created you from emitted out single (sperm cell) and made from her (female) it’s (sperm cell’s) pair (egg cell) , so it stays (waiting) towards it (sperm cell). 7:189

after that quran describes  the two stages of human embryology. 1. Fertilization 2. Implantation.

FertilizationSperm Penetrates Egg and settles in to it. 

Implantation :It takes about 6-12 days for the fertilized egg to travel to the uterus and attach to the uterus in a process known as implantation 

And he is the one who brought  you  in to being from the emiited out single (sperm), so settlement and storage.We detail our signs for people who understand. 6:98

Fa mus’taqarrun: so settlement  (of sperm cell in to the egg cell)

Wa mus’tawda’un : and storage ( Implantation of the fertilized cell in the uterus)

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, elite said:

He is the one who created you from emitted out single (sperm cell) and made from her (female) it’s (sperm cell’s) pair (egg cell) , so it stays (waiting) towards it (sperm cell). 7:189

Salam Brother!

I understood your point from your first post. Lets consider a different scenario where two sperm cells manage to fertilize one egg. It happened in very rare cases, this double fertilization is thought to happen in about 1% of human conceptions. 

How would you deal with such scenarios with your given interpretation of verse?

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Cool said:

Salam Brother!

I understood your point from your first post. Lets consider a different scenario where two sperm cells manage to fertilize one egg. It happened in very rare cases, this double fertilization is thought to happen in about 1% of human conceptions. 

How would you deal with such scenarios with your given interpretation of verse?

Wasalam Brother!

It is the case of semi identical twins.An embryo created this way doesn't usually survive, but a few cases are known to have made it

There are two possible ways this could have happened. The first possibility is that an egg cell divided, without separating, and each cell was then fertilized with a single sperm.Egg division before fertilisation is very rare.

The second, more likely scenario is that two sperm cells fused with a single egg, creating an embryo with three sets of chromosomes. Then, perhaps at the embryo's two-cell stage, one cell would have shed the chromosomes from one sperm, and the other cell the other sperm's genes.

But In both the possible scenario each twin is created by a single sperm only. This phenomenon is in line with the quranic verse 6:98

And he is the one who produced you from the emiited out single (sperm), so settlement and storage.We detail our signs for people who understand. 6:98

• Advanced Member
On 4/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, SoRoUsH said:

سلام

Walaikum Salaam, 

Excellent observation Mashallah. Thanks for that. Just a question : did you come up with that yourself?

I just saw this thread now after I spent time postulating my belief that this verse refers to the creation process of Allah's entire creations. 

Here is the post

So I would like to thank you for pointing out this extremely important point and puzzle piece for this! I did not notice it before. 

This first being is to me the first creation step which is a time when there existed only God and one 'nafs'. This nafs turned into two, then four, just like the cleaving of an egg cell, but on a much more basic and elemental level. The most basic level possible. 

So the first thought I had when I heard from you that the first creature was feminine, was that it makes sense in many levels. 

1 - God is Howa, referred to in masculine form, even though He is definitely behind gender, but still! We sat He and not She in most monotheistic religions. So it makes sense in the balance of things to have the only 'other' nafs than Allah as female to complement. 

2 - the symbol of the mother or source (like umm AL kitab) is definitely logic for a source nafs, just like mothers in sexually reproducing creatures are our source. All fathers had to come from mothers, but there must have been a first mother who could not have come from a father. I am also speaking symbolic her. The mother, the darkness which resonate with the idea of a womb are present in the verse. 

3 - biologically speaking we learned in school via photographs of embryonic development, that all humans start off as female in the womb, and we all had vaginas up to a certain stage. This is also evident that all men have breasts, even if they are not functional. At a certain stage the area of the vaginas seal for the males and the ovaries go down to become testicles. So we start off as females biologically too, which is a physical support for this idea. 

This is from the top of my head, but thank you for giving me more proof for my hypothesis of the meaning of the verse being the description of the creation of 8 elements, that each consist of 3 units of various combinations of male and female nafs (yin yang.. Even female yin is always mentioned before yang Mashallah) 

Each element is one of the following in most likelihood

1 water 2 earth 3 heaven 4 mountain 5 wind 6 fire 7 marsh 8 thunder 

The first element was water which is actually female from outside, and contains male nafs inside, 

The 8 elements are the building stones for all creations, and each element has an ultimate master, who are the Malaika described in the Quran including the fire realm head iblis, who demoted himself by not accepting the imamate of Adam. The word Malaika is based in the word mulk which is also kingdom. 

These are in my opinion the angels that rule the universe on behalf of Allah, by caring His throne. Allah's throne is said to be carried by 8 Malaika. 

They are the masters of the universe. 

There is a clear hierarchy of ins and jinn, and the highest ranked ones are the representatives of the elements of earth and fire. And the earth / ins one is most likely inheritor of Adam, as Imam of the other Malaika, which will be fully established and eternally implemented after the final resurrection and Yom El Qyama in Sha Allah. 

OK you probably think I'm crazy haha I better stop :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The following article is helpful to shed light in this issue:

https://shiismandislamichistory.wordpress.com/2021/03/14/israiliyats-fiqhi-impact-case-study-on-womens-ah̯kam/

I believe also the verse means that we were created equally and not that woman is created from man.

Edited by Abu Nur