Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Being wealthy

Rate this topic

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Panzerwaffe said:

how should we define hoarding wealth, lets keep numbers in USD

Thanks 

More than is needed. 

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, notme said:

More than is needed. 

needs are subjective these days 

honestly for someone who lives in america we technically don't need any money

food stamps are pretty generous, section 8 is decent in most places and at thrift stores i can find better clothes than my wardrobe AND Medicaid is amazing !

i would hoard money for peace of mind essentially, for the "what ifs"

Edited by Panzerwaffe

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Panzerwaffe said:

i would hoard money for peace of mind essentially, for the "what ifs

I think probably for most of us, this is the answer. Security. 

Can we justify security while others go without, from a religious perspective? 

2 minutes ago, Panzerwaffe said:

food stamps are pretty generous, section 8 is decent in most places and at thrift stores i can find better clothes than my wardrobe AND Medicaid is amazing !

These programs are not available to most people. In particular, they are unavailable for healthy adult men and women who do not have children. Anyone can shop in thrift stores if they have a few dollars, no matter their income or resources above that minimum. 

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, notme said:

I think probably for most of us, this is the answer. Security. 

Can we justify security while others go without, from a religious perspective? 

These programs are not available to most people. In particular, they are unavailable for healthy adult men and women who do not have children. Anyone can shop in thrift stores if they have a few dollars, no matter their income or resources above that minimum. 

that is the incentive for many to have kids , but even in worst case no one is actually starving unlike other countries .You can get 3 to 4 diagnosis once u see a doctor , talk to a social worker and MOST people walk out with some benefits [esp if you are not a white male , sad truth from 14 yr experience. We never talk about the silent war on the single white male in USA] 

religious perspective no absolutely not

but muslims should also not pay tax to a non muslim govt logically or historically, [yes i know "scholars" change their opinion on it based on whichever way the wind blows] 

Edited by Panzerwaffe

• Advanced Member

Being wealthy itself isn't good or bad it's just holding a lot of value. It can give power though and not many people are fit for power. So it depends on how you are as a person. If you can hold wealth and use it well it will fuel you to be closer to Allah, if you can't hold wealth without it corrupting you it will just fuel you to become more distant from Allah

• Veteran Member
2 minutes ago, Khurasani said:

Being wealthy itself isn't good or bad it's just holding a lot of value. It can give power though and not many people are fit for power. So it depends on how you are as a person. If you can hold wealth and use it well it will fuel you to be closer to Allah, if you can't hold wealth without it corrupting you it will just fuel you to become more distant from Allah

true to an extent 

but accumulation of any sort is not justified as long as there are poor in such huge numbers in this world, so there is some injustice that is occurring by which we accumulate wealth whether we know it or not 

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

I believe the answer to this question is going to vary significantly person to person. Some people think that a new prestigious car is a necessity while some don't. Some parents believe the most expensive education for their children is necessary while some might not. Much like many people will not conform to the sunnah of the dowry given to his daughter by the holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) nor the follow the standard of the feast given for that marriage, nor of the extent of celebration. Similarly the price of the clothes, shoes, the quality and quantity of the food and things of sustenance that are religiously made incumbent upon a husband to give to his wife, I don't think there can be a consensus on that either. I wish there could be though. And until such things are standardized and while capitalism with consumerism reigns over society and while Muslims conform to it the  "necessities" are going to vary wildly.

Edited by The Green Knight

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2021 at 7:55 PM, notme said:

Salam alaikum.

What are the advantages to hoarding wealth? 

Please discuss. Thanks. 

Wassalam,

Personally, I think none.

Not only is big amounts of hoarded wealth which is not under circulation bad for the economy, it is also against the spirit of tawakkul in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Why would I need to hoard wealth if I firmly believe that the Rāziq will provide for my needs in the future too, just as He is doing at present? I must always remember that if Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) were to cut off my rizq, even all the wealth in the world won't suffice me. Money is merely a medium, the real sustenance comes from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Of course, we should set aside enough to meet the expenses of ourselves and those dependent on us, and spend the rest fī sabīlillāh. Anything hoarded beyond that is superfluous.

This is my personal opinion. People are welcome to disagree.

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

In other words, the only virtue in being wealthy is using that wealth to help others who are in need, and thus save yourself at the time when you are truely poor and really need saving (on the Day of Judgement). Besides this, there is no other virtue in being wealthy, and there is a great hazard in wealth, which Imam Ali((عليه السلام)) explains in many places in the same hadith. 

Precisely why Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) calls wealth a "test" in the Qur'ān.