Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Righteous clothing

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hi There!

As I was looking at the Qur'an today this verse struck me

7:26  O children of Adam, We have bestowed upon you clothing to conceal your private parts and as adornment. But the clothing of righteousness - that is best. That is from the signs of Allah that perhaps they will remember.

Here the passage says thet "The clothing of righteousness is the best"  What is this clothing and how do we get it?

Guest Randomuser
40 minutes ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Hi There!

As I was looking at the Qur'an today this verse struck me

7:26  O children of Adam, We have bestowed upon you clothing to conceal your private parts and as adornment. But the clothing of righteousness - that is best. That is from the signs of Allah that perhaps they will remember.

Here the passage says thet "The clothing of righteousness is the best"  What is this clothing and how do we get it?

Righteous clothing means clothing which covers your private parts and is modest. It's not luxurious(Made of haram things like silk, have no sinister/malice agenda like to cause envy, Also no gold jewelery etc). It doesn't refer to a specific set of clothing or tells you to dress like you're from the time of the old testament.

This is an example of righteous clothing for men:

Black-Blazer-with-Jeans.jpg

An example of righteous clothing for women:

e93e0bf1a0371fe38a0f8a551fa29643.jpg  -> Hair is covered, Clothing which is not tight and does not reveal her body/figure. 

• Advanced Member

Opposite of crop tops, exposing back, breasts, legs, exposing upper body, in shirt basic modesty like Maryam the most of Jesus for women, and not wearing shorts above the knee caps and exposing upper body for men. 

• Moderators

What? ^^^ 

No, "clothing of righteousness" is not literal clothing! It means, just as we wear clothing to conceal and protect our bodies, we must "wear" righteousness; that is, be publicly righteous, so that we are protected by general opinions of us. If we are known to be righteous people, we will be protected from many spiritual harms. 

How do we get it? No need to buy anything - just be a decent and moral person. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

The 'clothing of righteousness' refers to being righteous and the way a righteous person should openly appear like, mainly in actions (i.e., having good akhlaq (manners)).

Edited by Muhammad Al-Hurr
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks for your insights

Yes clothes of righteousness would seem to be a life of good deeds.

The verse is firstly about God giving Adam and Eve actual physical covering - a gift from God

So I wonder if the Clothes of Righteousness are similarly something God gives us.  So often my efforts to do good end up bringing shame they are like torn rags which don't completly hide my shame.  But when God gives clothes of righteousness they are a complete and adiquate covering.  It is about being transformed by his righteousness.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Yet the garment of Godwariness—that is better. That is [one] of Allah’s signs, so that they may take admonition. Here the verse makes a transition from physical garments to a spiritual garment. The former cover the body parts that would make one ashamed if they are revealed. Similarly, the later covers inner defects that would make one ashamed if they are revealed. These defects include polytheism and all other sins. This spiritual garment is Godwariness, which is God’s advice and command to us.
The psychological pain and humiliation that one suffers due to a disclosure of any defect—whether that is physical or spiritual—is of the same nature. However, the appearance of inner defects is more intense, bitter and lasting, because then one has to face God and be accountable to Him, and because they result in a fire which will overspread the hearts (104:7). This is why the garment of Godwariness is better than the physical garments.

-Tafsir Al Mizan

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Holy Quran 104:7