Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it haram to watch videos with swear words in a Mosque?

Rate this topic

Guest de trout

Salamu 3alaykum,

I study in the Mosque, and there is an old radio show that I like to listen to called The Ricky Gervais Show while I study. This show gives me comfort and I have listened to it dozens of times, but I dropped it (and another person I would like to get back to) in the past as a promise to Allah because they got too silly at times with their occasional swearing/vulgarity and once in a while, blasphemy. That was about 9 months ago and now I feel the need to return to the show because I am going through a difficult period in my life and I think being able to listen to the show while I study in the Mosque would make the process a bit easier. However, is the Mosque meant to be a safe haven from all sin and I should not play such a show in there? I would love to know.

• Advanced Member

The Prophet of Allah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) says: There are four people whose torment increases the torment of the inmates of Hell ... and one of them is a man who seeks  pleasure through  obscenity (swearing) with  that constantly pus runs from his mouth in Hell that causes the increasing of torment of inmates of helll. (Mustadrak al-Wasa'il, vol. 12, p. 82)

https://fa.abna24.com/news/مقاله/مذمت-دشنام-و-فحاشی-از-دیدگاه-قرآن-و-اهل-بیتع_713371.html

:salam:

Obviously  you must not play such a show in mosque because  as you have said it contains  "occasional swearing/vulgarity and once in a while, blasphemy" which swearing/vulgarity is not allowed  even in public  place  & obviously  blasphemy  is forbidden in any place specially  in mosque so you must find another halal way to comfort  yourself  & you must overcome  of this bad addiction  of listening  or watching such shows.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

https://fa.abna24.com/news/مقاله/مذمت-دشنام-و-فحاشی-از-دیدگاه-قرآن-و-اهل-بیتع_713371.html

:salam:

Obviously  you must not play such a show in mosque because  as you have said it contains  "occasional swearing/vulgarity and once in a while, blasphemy" which swearing/vulgarity is not allowed  even in public  place  & obviously  blasphemy  is forbidden in any place specially  in mosque so you must find another halal way to comfort  yourself  & you must overcome  of this bad addiction  of listening  or watching such shows.

I also sometimes spend some time in the mosque and watch videos. What if the person in the video rarely swears? Like in 10 minutes of talking there would be one swear word?

• Advanced Member

I don't recommend listening to Rickey Gervais in general, as he dishonestly mocks Islam and Muslims to the point of slander, to then play his videos in the mosque is something which you ought to stop completely. You are better off not going in that case, the mosque is a place of worship and reflection with its respective sanctity, not some comedy central. 

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Guest de trout said:

Salamu 3alaykum,

I study in the Mosque, and there is an old radio show that I like to listen to called The Ricky Gervais Show while I study. This show gives me comfort and I have listened to it dozens of times, but I dropped it (and another person I would like to get back to) in the past as a promise to Allah because they got too silly at times with their occasional swearing/vulgarity and once in a while, blasphemy. That was about 9 months ago and now I feel the need to return to the show because I am going through a difficult period in my life and I think being able to listen to the show while I study in the Mosque would make the process a bit easier. However, is the Mosque meant to be a safe haven from all sin and I should not play such a show in there? I would love to know.

Listening to such content is haram mutlaqan (absolutely forbidden) in and of itself, whether inside a mosque or otherwise. The surrounding makes no difference.

Guest de trout
27 minutes ago, Mohammad313Ali said:

I don't recommend listening to Rickey Gervais in general, as he dishonestly mocks Islam and Muslims to the point of slander, to then play his videos in the mosque is something which you ought to stop completely. You are better off not going in that case, the mosque is a place of worship and reflection with its respective sanctity, not some comedy central. 

You are right, and I am well aware of what kind of person Ricky Gervais is now and that was a factor in me quitting the show in the first place. However, the radio show in question is from 20 years ago when he was much, much more tame and respectable. He also has a unrestricted podcast, and that I would never listen to in the mosque so it's not Ricky Gervais I want it's his one particular radio show from 20 years ago. I would rate the current Ricky and his podcast as M for Mature, and his radio show is PG-13, so, as appropriate as the Simpsons. And I have listened to his show so many times that I can skip the blasphemous parts before they come.

Does this change anything?

I only ask because I think it would really help me study as it used to in the past. I would not listen to him in any other context or if I didn't think it would be beneficial in the long run.