Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Newly-translated sayings of Imam Ali (as)

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
14 hours ago, Qa'im said:

أنا وارث علم الاولين

14 hours ago, Qa'im said:

I am the inheritor of the knowledge of the prophets

سلام علیکم brother @Qa'im,

Excellent post, as always. 

May I ask questions in this thread, as I go through the narrations and their translations?

First, have these narrations been graded regarding their authenticity?

Second, in the very first narration, may I ask about the section that I posted here? Why was الاولين translated as "prophets"?

Thank you!

• Forum Administrators
3 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

May I ask questions in this thread, as I go through the narrations and their translations?

First, have these narrations been graded regarding their authenticity?

Second, in the very first narration, may I ask about the section that I posted here? Why was الاولين translated as "prophets"?

Wa alaykum assalam sir,

1. You can feel free to ask, I will try my best to get back to you, though I won't always have the answers.

2. I have not done any grading, but I welcome it.

3. Thank you, I've fixed it.

• Veteran Member
On 2/27/2021 at 10:44 PM, Qa'im said:

وكل سكوت ليس فيه فكرة فهو غفلة

On 2/27/2021 at 10:44 PM, Qa'im said:

Every silence that is devoid of thought is heedlessness.

Salam,

Interestingly, this statement contradicts most (non-islamic) meditation practices, which aim to empty the mind of all thoughts during silent meditations. 

(Note: I do not know the grading of any of the narrations in this thread.)

• Forum Administrators
On 3/1/2021 at 9:10 AM, SoRoUsH said:

Salam,

Interestingly, this statement contradicts most (non-islamic) meditation practices, which aim to empty the mind of all thoughts during silent meditations. 

Wa alaykum assalam. Indeed. I’ve never seen a report that endorses emptying the mind. We should be full of tafakkur and tadabbur about our creator. 

Judging from the chain, I believe that hadith is sahih. 

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Qa'im said:

Wa alaykum assalam. Indeed. I’ve never seen a report that endorses emptying the mind. We should be full of tafakkur and tadabbur about our creator. 

Judging from the chain, I believe that hadith is sahih. 

One value I see in meditation practices, as in emptying the mind, is learning how to control the flow of thoughts in and out of your mind, and learning how to not react to every passing thought. 

This may help us to have the right thoughts, when our minds are full of tafakkur.

This is just my opinion though.

Thank you for checking the sanad.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2021 at 2:44 AM, Qa'im said:

محمد بن موسى بن المتوكل (رحمه الله)، قال: حدثنا علي بن إبراهيم بن هاشم، عن أبيه، عن الريان بن الصلت، عن الرضا علي بن موسى، عن أبيه موسى بن جعفر، عن أبيه جعفر بن محمد، عن أبيه محمد بن علي، عن أبيه علي بن الحسين، عن أبيه الحسين بن علي (عليهم السلام)، قال: رأى أمير المؤمنين (عليه السلام) رجلا من شيعته بعد عهد طويل، وقد أثر السن فيه، وكان يتجلد في مشيته، فقال (عليه السلام): كبر سنك يا رجل. قال: في طاعتك يا أمير المؤمنين. فقال (عليه السلام): إنك لتتجلد؟ قال: على أعدائك يا أمير المؤمنين. فقال (عليه السلام): أجد فيك بقية: قال: هي لك يا أمير المؤمنين (3).

He said: Amir al-Mu’minin (عليه السلام) saw a man from his Shi`a after a long time [away from him], and the signs of aging were visible on him. He had a limp in his walk. So, he (عليه السلام) said: O man! You have aged. He said: In obedience to you, O Amir al-Mu’minin. So, he (عليه السلام) said: You are limping. He said: Due to your enemies, O Amir al-Mu’minin. So, he (عليه السلام) said: I see some strength in you. He said: It is for you, O Amir al-Mu’minin.

Salamu alaykum,

Jazakallah @Qa'im

I love reading narrations that show the love and loyalty the companions of Amirul Mu'mineen had for him.  I have a question about this beautiful narration, specifically this bit إنك لتتجلد؟ قال: على أعدائك يا أمير المؤمنين.

على أعدائك means 'on your enemies', but that doesn't make sense if تتجلد means limp.  Does this work because the companion is taking تتجلد to mean other than limp whilst knowing the Imam meant 'limp' by it - exploiting a dual-meaning to emphasise his loyalty to the Imam?  If so whats the best translation? Maybr it's difficult to get this across in translation without affecting the eloquence in english.

Edited by .InshAllah.
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

and they would fast in the day and not eat

I always wonder what does this mean. Does it mean that it is possible and some believers fast everyday and they would only eat after Maghreb. Or is it the wajibat and mustahabbat.

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Forum Administrators
5 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

I always wonder what does this mean. Does it mean that it is possible and some believers fast everyday and they would only eat after Maghreb. Or is it the wajibat and mustahabbat.

Sometimes these things are said in hyperbole. If you read it in context with the following hadith it makes more sense:

(as a sidenote, one can technically fast everyday, but not Eid, or while sick, traveling, menstruating, etc.)

5 - حدثنا أحمد بن محمد بن يحيى العطار، قال: حدثنا أبي، عن أحمد ابن محمد بن عيسى، عن نوح بن شعيب النيسابوري، عن عبيد الله بن عبد الله الدهقان، عن عروة بن أخي شعيب العقرقوقي، عن شعيب، عن أبي بصير، قال: سمعت الصادق جعفر بن محمد (عليهما السلام) يحدث عن أبيه، عن آبائه (عليهم السلام)، قال: قال رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) يوما لاصحابه: أيكم يصوم الدهر؟ فقال سلمان (رحمة الله عليه): أنا يا رسول الله. فقال رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله): فأيكم يحيي الليل؟ فقال سلمان: أنا يا رسول الله. قال: فأيكم يختم القرآن في كل يوم؟ فقال سلمان: أنا

يا رسول الله. فغضب بعض أصحابه، فقال: يا رسول الله، إن سلمان رجل من الفرس، يريد أن يفتخر علينا معاشر قريش، قلت: أيكم يصوم الدهر؟ فقال: أنا، وهو أكثر أيامه يأكل. وقلت: أيكم يحيي الليل؟ فقال: أنا، وهو أكثر ليله نائم. وقلت: أيكم يختم القرآن في كل يوم؟ فقال: أنا، وهو أكثر نهاره صامت. فقال النبي (صلى الله عليه وآله): مه يا فلان، أنى لك بمثل لقمان الحكيم، سله فإنه ينبئك. فقال الرجل لسلمان: يا أبا عبد الله، أليس زعمت أنك تصوم الدهر؟ فقال: نعم. فقال: رأيتك في أكثر نهارك تأكل! فقال: ليس حيث تذهب، إني أصوم الثلاثة في الشهر، وقال الله عزوجل: (من جاء بالحسنة فله عشر أمثالها) (1) وأصل شعبان بشهر رمضان، فذلك صوم الدهر، فقال: أليس زعمت أنك تحيي الليل؟ فقال: نعم. فقال: أنت أكثر ليلك نائم! فقال: ليس حيث تذهب، ولكني سمعت حبيبي رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) يقول: من بات على طهر فكأنما أحيا الليل كله، فأنا أبيت على طهر. فقال: أليس زعمت أنك تختم القرآن في كل يوم؟ قال: نعم، قال: فأنت أكثر أيامك صامت! فقال: ليس حيث تذهب، ولكني سمعت حبيبي رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) يقول لعلي (عليه السلام): يا أبا الحسن، مثلك في أمتي مثل سورة التوحيد (قل هو الله أحد) (2) فمن قرأها مرة فقد قرأ ثلث القرآن، ومن قرأها مرتين فقد قرأ ثلثي القرآن، ومن قرأها ثلاثا فقد ختم القرآن، فمن أحبك بلسانه فقد كمل له ثلث الايمان، ومن أحبك بلسانه وقلبه فقد كمل له ثلثا الايمان، ومن أحبك بلسانه وقلبه ونصرك بيده فقد استكمل الايمان، والذي بعثني بالحق يا علي، لو أحبك أهل الارض كمحبة أهل السماء لك لما عذب أحد بالنار، وأنا أقرأ (قل هو الله أحد) في كل يوم ثلاثا مرات. فقام وكأنه قد ألقم حجرا (3).

Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Yahya al-`Attar narrated to us. He said: My father narrated to us from Ahmad b. Muhammad b. `Isa from Nuh b. Shu`ayb al-Nishapuri from `Ubaydullah b. `Abdullah al-Dahqan from `Urwa the nephew of Shu`ayb al-`Aqraquqi from Shu`ayb from Abi Basir.

He said: I heard al-Sadiq Ja`far b. Muhammad (عليه السلام) narrate from his father from his forefathers as). He said: The Messenger of Allah (s) said one day to his companions: Which of you fast the whole year? So, Salman (رضي الله عنه) said: I, O Messenger of Allah. So, the Messenger of Allah (s) said: So, which of you keep vigil at night? So, Salman said: I, O Messenger of Allah. He said: So, which of you completes the Quran every day? So, Salman said: I, O Messenger of Allah.

So, one of his companions became angry and said: O Messenger of Allah! Salman is a man from Persia, and he wants to boast pretentiously over us, the people of Quraysh. You said, “Which of you fast the whole year?”, and he said, “I”, when he eats on most days. You said, “Which of you keep vigil at night?”, and he said, “I”, when he sleeps most of the night. You said, “Which of you completes the Quran everyday?”, and he said, “I”, when he is silent for most of the day.”

So, the Prophet (s) said: Cease, O person. I am to you as Luqman the Wise was. Ask him, and he will inform you. So, the man said to Salman: O Aba `Abdillah! Did you not allege that you fast every day? So, he said: Yes. So, he said: I saw you eating on most days! So, he said: It is not as you have interpreted, for I fast three days in a month, and Allah says, “Whoever comes with a good deed will have ten the like thereof.” (6:160) And, I connect Sha`ban with the month of Ramadan, which is like fasting the whole year. So, he said: Did you not allege that you keep vigil at night? So, he said: Yes. So, he said: You sleep for most of the night! So, he said: It is not as you have interpreted, for I have heard my Beloved, the Messenger of Allah (s) say: “Whoever goes to sleep in a state of [ritual] purity, it is as though he has kept vigil all night”, and I go to sleep in a state of purity. So, he said: Did you not allege that you complete the Quran every day? He said: Yes. He said: But you are silent on most days. So, he said: It is not as you have interpreted, or I have heard my Beloved, the Messenger of Allah (s) say to `Ali (as): “O Abu’l Hasan! Your likeness to my Nation is like that of Surat al-Tawhid (qul huwallahu ahad), for whoever recites it once, it is as though he has recited one third of the Quran; and whoever recites it twice, it is as though he has recited two thirds of the Quran; and whoever recites it three times, it is as though he has completed the Quran. [Likewise,] whoever loves you with his tongue has completed one third of faith, and whoever loves you with his tongue and his heart has completed two thirds of faith, and whoever loves you with his tongue and his tongue, and supports you with his hand has completed [his] faith. By He who has sent me with the truth! O `Ali, if the people of the Earth loved you in the same way that the people of heaven love you, no one would be punished in the Fire.” And, I read qul huwallahu ahad three times every day. Then, the man stood as though he had been pelted with a stone.