Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Eating alone

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam everyone,

i came across this hadith which says that cursed is the person who eats alone. Now i have this mental disorder called misophonia which literally means hatred of sound, so there are certain sounds, mostly mouth sounds and other body related ones which bring out this reaction in me, like i start to sweat, my heartbeat increases, i feel angry, i want to cry and escape those noises.

ive struggled with this all my life, kids in my class click their pens all the time which distracts me from my studies and ive also have a few anxiety attacks at school and my family members are the biggest triggers for me, they smack their lips while eating so sometimes i avoid them and eat alone because if i sat with the extremely noisy family members id burst into tears and maybe get an anxiety attack or something. My dad just tells me to recite salawat and to control it, but trust me i have zero control over the emotions it brings out in me. So all this brings me up to my final question which is that will i be cursed too cuz i love eating alone?

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AdinAnikas said:

Salam everyone,

i came across this hadith which says that cursed is the person who eats alone. Now i have this mental disorder called misophonia which literally means hatred of sound, so there are certain sounds, mostly mouth sounds and other body related ones which bring out this reaction in me, like i start to sweat, my heartbeat increases, i feel angry, i want to cry and escape those noises.

ive struggled with this all my life, kids in my class click their pens all the time which distracts me from my studies and ive also have a few anxiety attacks at school and my family members are the biggest triggers for me, they smack their lips while eating so sometimes i avoid them and eat alone because if i sat with the extremely noisy family members id burst into tears and maybe get an anxiety attack or something. My dad just tells me to recite salawat and to control it, but trust me i have zero control over the emotions it brings out in me. So all this brings me up to my final question which is that will i be cursed too cuz i love eating alone?

Wa Alykum al salam!

I believe the hadith refers to someone who turns away another hungry person and he eats alone/there is no one to share it with.

• Advanced Member

General rule of Islam: If you have some special condition, then just assume the hadith/ruling doesn't apply to you within reason ofcourse like the above situation. Like for example it says a person should recite azan loudly in his house as it's mustahab but how can a man with no tongue do this? You get the logic.

Wasalam.

• Advanced Member

Dear brother/sister the Hadith was meant to set a general precedence, but your case is a particularity. We see that even obligatory acts mandated by the Qur'an can be lifted from an individual who has a certain condition or plight that does not allow them to fulfill such a task, or obligation. For example, we are all ordered to fast and go to hajj, however, those without the means to go on the pilgrimage and those who don't have the necessary health to fast are exempted. Allah does not want to burden your soul, rather these general rules and obligations are brought forth to make our lives easier and more bountiful there is nothing to fear and worry about. We will keep you in our prayers Insha'Allah, may the most merciful reward you.

• Advanced Member
On 2/27/2021 at 3:23 PM, AdinAnikas said:

will i be cursed too cuz i love eating alone?

I love eating alone too, not because I have any kind of mental disorder ... it's just that I don't want people to look at me while I'm eating so I avoid eating with everyone unless it's an important family get-together...now on special occasions I have to compromise otherwise I usually eat alone. I don't think that I'll be cursed for doing that because I'm not hurting anyone's feelings or I'm being rude... staying in your comfort zone isn't a sin.

I have never heard of that hadis but I'm glad to know now in which sense it was said.