Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Help Me Memorize the Quran. Techniques, Tafseer, etc.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hello everyone. About a week ago I was listening to Surat Al-Fajr (I would love if someone could tell me what kind of recitation this is because it's quite calming) while thinking about the kind of hobby to pursue. I wasn't paying a lot of attention but I noticed that this Surat follows a structure so I though I could memorize it by dividing it to sub-surats. I did so like this

1-4 Various oaths by natural objects
5-13 Unbelievers are warned by the fate of Ád, Thamúd, and Pharaoh
14-17 Man praises God in prosperity, but reproaches him in adversity
18-22 Oppression of the poor and the orphan denounced
23-25 The wicked will vainly regret their evil deeds on the judgment-day
26-30 The believing soul invited to the joys of Paradise

(Those are taken from Wikipedia)

and to my surprise I was able to memorize it in just a day. I tried this with Surat Al-Qiyamah and was also able to get the same result. I tried again with Surat Maryam and was able to memorize the first part (About Zakaria and Yahya) in a day.

I was now convinced that memorizing the Quran might be a good idea for a hobby since I'm not really in a rush to do it(If takes 10 years then so be it) and I'm wondering if you could help me in these areas:

• Techniques:
    • Dividing the Surahs to sub-Suras.
    • Memorizing recitation (I'm able to recall the recitation to the point where I remember where the reciter has stopped to take a breath) although I'm afraid that I (or Shaytan) might plan false memories and thus screw up the Suras
    • Writing down Suras repeatedly
    • Taking it slowly (no more than 10 ayats daily)
  • Tafseer: I'm looking for the most concise  and short (Sunni & Shia) tafseer since some of them can go overboard with accuracy making it quite difficult to read

I would love to if you can add to those techniques.

I also have some problems:

• How to truly memorize each ayah, because I memorized those Surats as an entire unit made of modules(sub-suras) but I can't just remember individual ayats on their own. I thought about using a flashcard system SRS like Anki but I don't think that will be maintainable for a long time because there are ~6236 ayats and that's more than a lot of people's vocabulary :(
  • I don't know to dispose the Surahs that I'm going to write down on a piece of paper (I'm sure that you can't burn it)

Thank you for taking the time to read yet another long post and have a nice day.