Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Was Buraq as horse ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I always thought that the Buraq is not be taken as a literal animal. But I was reading musnad Ali Ridha and came across this :

The Commander of the

faithful, peace be on him, said:] “

When Allah’s Messenger, may Allah

bless him and his family, began

learning the adha’n (call to prayer),

Gabriel brought him the Bura’q, but it

was difficult for him (to ride it). Then

he brought him a riding animal called

Bura’qa and it was difficult for him (to

ride it), so Gabriel said to it: ‘Be calm,

for none more honorable than him in

Allah’s view has ever ridden you!’ It

became calm, and Allah’s Messenger,

may Allah bless him and his family,

said: ‘I rode it until I reached the veil

which was before the Merciful (Allah),

What are your thoughts ?

• Advanced Member

Salam according  to Imam Khomeini  (رضي الله عنه) Buraq is not a literal animal like horse or etc but it's a singular  creation .

http://www.imam-khomeini.ir/fa/c78_115175/کتاب/نبوت_از_دیدگاه_امام_خمینی_س_/فصل_دهم_معراج

• Advanced Member

The Almighty Allah sent a vehicle of light for the Prophet, which contained forty kinds of light that have circled around the throne of Allah Almighty, as if dazzling the eyes of every viewer. One of them was  yellow light , so because of yellowness has turned yellow; And one of them was red,which for it redness became red. Until he said: So the Prophet has sitten  in it, then has ascended to the heavens of the world; So the angels fled to the heavens, and then they prostrated themselves and said, "Glory be to our Lord, and to the Lord of the angels and to the Spirit! How much is this light like the light of our Lord!" So Gabriel said: "Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar" So, the angels became silent and the sky opened and the angels gathered and then they came and greeted the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in groups ...

Ilal al-sharayi , v2 , p 312 narration 1 , chapter of causes of abultion & Azan & Salat

علل الشرائع؛ ج 2، ص 312، «باب علل الوضوء والاذان و الصّلوة»، ح 1.

http://www.imam-khomeini.ir/fa/c78_115175/کتاب/نبوت_از_دیدگاه_امام_خمینی_س_/فصل_دهم_معراج

• Advanced Member

Here's an interesting lecture entitled 'Lessons from the Blessed Night Journey: Al Isra wal Miraj' by Ali Ataie...what the Shi'a scholars say is binding on us but it's interesting to hear the Ash'ari Sufi point of view...he describes al Buraq at 13:20

• Advanced Member
On 2/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, Ali bin Hussein said:

I agree. But I believe the hadith I posted is authentic from a 12er and Zaidi point of view. So I'm not sure what to make of it. It definitely seems the Imam described it as an animal ?

Salam because at that time the fastest animal for traveling was horse so if Imam has desribed it as other thing than animal then It was unimagalable by people of that time for example it was like describing  of a race car for cave man which maybe in future we can invent faster vehicle similar to flying saucers  by cutting edge technology but now we just can desribe it based current vehicles like racing cars for being understable by all people .:book: