Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do I need to practice a cerntain form of shi'ism or can just be a shia?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Most shias are 12vers but there are other forms of shi'ism do I need to pick one or can I just be a general shia without being a 12ver, Ismali, or zaidi. Can I mix and match jurisprudence and make my own decision about what I believe is true?

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

Honestly being a "general" Shia without being associated to one of those groups you mentioned just doesn't make sense. Imagine if you ask a Sunni what he is: he'll either tell you that he's Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i or Hanbali. If he's not one of those 4, then he's not a Sunni. Same thing for Christians: they are either Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Coptic, etc...

Sadly, this can be said to practically every religion. Don't get me wrong, 12vers are Shia, Zaydis are Shia, Ismailis are Shia, but there isn't just a "Shia". Of course, we are all Muslims, but you'll immediatly see the differences between each Muslim. One prays like that, the other one prays that way, one performs wudhu a certain way, the other one performs wudhu in another way, one believes something to be an integral pillar of the faith, while the other considers it to be an innovation. I'm not saying this to make you feel sad, or to cause fitna, but that's just the way it is. Sure, you can identify yourself as Muslim, and as Shia. But even here the line doesn't stop (so you'll practically have to pick one).

Take my case for example: to non-Muslims I am a Muslim. To a Muslim I am a Shia. To a Shia I am Ithna Ashari (twelver). To a Twelver I'm Usuli. And to an Usuli I follow Sayyid al-Sistani.

As for the beliefs you can choose whatever you want to believe. Obviously, there is only one truth, and God also gave you a mind to help you find the true path, but that decision is up to you. Belief is certainly tied to jurisprudence. You can't say for example: I believe in the Qur'an, but then you don't pray or you don't fast, because the Qur'an is telling you to do those things. You get what I mean ?

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Guest Psychological Warfare
2 hours ago, musa shakr said:

Most shias are 12vers but there are other forms of shi'ism do I need to pick one or can I just be a general shia without being a 12ver, Ismali, or zaidi. Can I mix and match jurisprudence and make my own decision about what I believe is true?

fyi

Following a Mujtahid

1. It is necessary for a Muslim to believe in the fundamentals of faith on the basis of proof and he cannot follow anyone in this respect i.e. he cannot accept he word of another with regard to the fundamentals without demanding proof.

However, in order to act on Islamic code (except in those matters which are considered by all to be indisputable e.g. the obligatory nature of the five daily prayers, fasting during the holy month of Ramadan etc.) a person must adopt one of the following methods:

i) The man concerned should be a Mujtahid (jurist)1 himself and should know the Articles of Acts on the basis of Ijtihad2 and reason (i.e. he should be a man of such high learning and scholarship that he can solve problems from his study of the Qur’an and Hadith).

ii) If he is not a jurist himself, he should follow a jurist i.e. he should act according to the judgment (fatwa) of the jurist without demanding proof.

iii) If he is neither a jurist nor a follower (muqallid) he should act after taking such precaution that he should become sure of his having performed his religious duty. For example, if some jurists consider an act to be unlawful and some others say that it is not unlawful, he should not perform that act and in case some jurists consider an act to be obligatory (wajib) and others consider it to be recommended (mustahab) he should perform it. Hence it is obligatory for those persons who are not jurists and cannot also take precautionary measures (ihtiyat) to follow a jurist.3

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-abul-qasim-al-khui/taqlid

1. above in red- is referring to Fundamental of Faith are mentioned Here

In Islamic Acts ( Daily Prayer, Fasting, Hajj , personal or economic dealings etc....) you are either a Learned person yourself or you naturally follow a learned person. 

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, musa shakr said:

In beleif yes you can be a general Shia.

When it comes to laws. If you are knowledgeable and confident then you can work out Sharia yourself using primary sources.

But I'd advice following a madhab to know how to do your day to day wajibs and knowing what is haram etc.

• Veteran Member

Sadly dear brother to me this indicates your frivolous attitude towards your own soul if you do not know what you believe in and want others to decide for you? Like women ask other women which dress to wear to a gathering. Instead choose the one you believe in and never stop searching for a better one until death. That should be the way of an actual believer.