Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What should i do?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam,

A tricky situation for me:

I have an upcoming marriage event of my close cousin. 

Music will be played and potentially not segregated.

Will taking noise cancelling headphones with me reduce the harram by any chance? Or attending the event is harram?

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

• Advanced Member

I don't know what country you live in. My opinion I don't think its haram.

I am assuming there will be no Alcohol correct?  ok so don't have to worry about that.

If you're going to use noise cancelling headphone, you might as well not go.

Music will be played which is normal. Just go there, Sit, have a talk with guys you know and avoid dancing if you're single or if you're wife okay with not having to dance (I have went few events with family, I just sat there, went outside for a fresh air and that's was it)

You're not going with intention to listen to music. You're not going with intention to look at women.

Otherwise we might as well live in a cave.

That's my opinion.

I apologise if my opinion is wrong or if I offended anyone.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Salam,

It's not harram. As long as you are not the one playing the music or actively listening to it, it's okay.

Go there (sans the headphones) enjoy,meet your family, try and keep your gaze down as much as possible, don't laugh and joke with namehram women and you should be okay. 

• Advanced Member

Salam,

Music is everywhere. Might as well not go to the shop, or a public place where music is most likely played there. Or a tv show where the music is most likely played in the background. It’s not something we can control. As long as you’re not the one playing or dancing to it, then you should be good.

also this isn’t an excuse to listen to music. Obviously if we’re at home and choose to put on music than that’s wrong. I’m talking about situations in which we can’t control. 

With that being said, go enjoy and meet your family members, congratulate your cousin.

• Advanced Member

My understanding is that visiting a place where a music is being played is not permissible, if you have the option of not visiting. Of course, If we are in a shopping centre where background music is there, that is beyond our own control, but still our ears will hear the sound of music and it may have negative effect on our soul. 

When one of the imams was impressoned in a very uncomfortable dungeon, he prayed to Allah make it easy for him. He was then transferred to a dungeon which was much more comfortable, but there he could hear the sound of music from outside. He requested to be transferred back to the uncomfortable prison. 

This shows that if we have the option of not listening to music (even unintentionally), it is best to avoid it. I'm sure this question has been asked from the marjas and as far as I know their reply is that it is not allowed to attend any gathering where there is music even if you have no intention to listen to it. Please correct me if I misunderstood. 

• Advanced Member

As far as I am concerned, attending a gathering (which you can avoid) which involves haram music is impermissible no matter if you listen, don't listen, hear or don't hear the music because attending sinful gatherings in general is forbidden. You should check with your marja' regarding the ruling however.

I suggest that you can request that he does not have haram music at the marriage event. If he still chooses to have music then I suggest that you attend the marriage event, meet your family and leave during the periods when the music is being played.

• Moderators

. It is permissible to visit public places where music is being played, even if it is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, provided that one does not intentionally listen to it: for example, passengers on course, waiting areas for visitors, public parks, restaurants and cafes, etc —even if the music played there is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings— because there is no problem in hearing forbidden tunes without intending to listen to it.

• Basic Members

Im not sure about the religious ruling but I know that ANC can only filter out monotonous or repeating sounds. Like engine sound or a neighbor using a drill but it can't cancel out voices or music. So the only thing reducing the public is the headphones normal insulation material. 

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

I think it is best to directly ask your marja about this situation (btw when is the wedding taking place ? Because I remember asking my marja a simple question and he took more than a month to answer :hahaha:).

But, in MY opinion, I think it wouldn't be permissible since a wedding isn't a public space, and you can choose not to go if you know that there will be haram "background" music that will be played. I said "background" because in a wedding, it is impossible not to have music, whereas in a shopping mall for example, there may only be a low and soft ambient music that you can ignore, or even no music at all. I remember going more than once to weddings when I was younger, and the music almost rendered me deaf, and many people were dancing. So yeah, never again. Unless you know the wedding won't have haram music, it's better if you speak to your cousin and tell him that after dinner or whatever it is they do before the music and dancing start, you're leaving. Maybe invent an excuse ?

Your situation is, in my opinion (and sorry if this may sound a little strong), like saying that you've been invited to watch a haram adult movie/video, but that you'll take with you a sleep mask in order not to see it. Or that you've been invited to a bar, but you'll take a gas mask in order not to drink.

As I said, this is what I think, don't take my words as law. If you or someone else disagrees, please let me know.

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

stay at home and ask for the event to be streamed virtually. 

Why do you care more about music than your community/local members lives during covid19? Of course I do not know your local public help advisories so I will give advice on a general basis. 

You SHOULD not be attending large gatherings to being with. If you possibly infect someone, and they pass away... you ARE 100% liable and MUST pay the Diyah. Our miraja have also requested we follow public health advisories. 

Also, music is haram, and possibly infecting/killing someone is also haram. You can make the decision which one is more valuable to you. Just stay home, and watch it virtually. No-one will give you grief on missing out since this is the new normal. All you do at weddings anyways is eat food, take pictures, and dance. 

The smartest, ethical, and in line with Islam is to stay home and watch it virtually.... you can also mute or lower the volume when the music starts playing. 

WS. 

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Salam,

Will taking noise cancelling headphones with me reduce the harram by any chance? Or attending the event is harram?

Assalamu alaikum, brother

According to Sayyid Sistani (dama dhilluhu), if you are at such a place where music is being played and you are being compelled to listen to it, as in, it is reaching your ear involuntarily and you can not turn it off (as in malls, for examples, or airport lounges in certain places), then being there is not haram prima facie, unless you are intentionally lending ear to the music. Look for the fatwa in his book "A Code of Practice".

As for the non-mahram interaction, try to avoid it as much as you can. I know it's a pain, but these are the times we live in. Try to find male companions to stick with.

Earmuffs will just make you stick out like a sore thumb at the event.

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

• Advanced Member

@starlight there is a difference between public places and gatherings in regards of Shari'ah. According to Wahid Khurasani, you can be in places where there is a harp or a similar instrument being played as long as you do not listen to it. However, if it is a gathering, it is forbidden to merely be present. According to As-Sayyid As-Sistani, music that is suitable for entertainment or amusement gatherings is forbidden and anything else that does not fit that description is halal.

According to As-Sayyid Muhammad Mudarressi: ...Allah has forbidden contracting for any deed whose prohibition has been established in Islamic Law, such as the forbidden forms of astrology, magic and soothsaying, or convening and attending gatherings of immoral amusements, music, and entertainment,...

Page 375, http://ijtihadnet.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Laws-of-Islam-by-Ayatollah-Modarresi.pdf

Question 469. In some weddings, loud music is played. What is the ruling on participating in these gatherings?

Answer: If the music is suitable for parties and games, it is not permissible to participate in that assembly.

http://wahidkhorasani.com/فارسی/سؤالات-شرعی#!/istifta/categories/5485/entries/3608/احكام کسبهای حرام و بعضی گناهان