Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Working in the field of Biomedicine / Medicine - Unethical for a Muslim?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Whats the opinion of working in the medicine field based on,

1)Researching and editing genes, including stuff like viruses and such 
2)Creating medicines with haram ingredients/administrating haram ingredient medicine, for example if I have to prescribe a pill that contains gelatine or a mind altering drug to an insane person.

I am planning on studying medicine/biomedicine but I fear getting into these sorts of careers due to the issue of potential my working potential being haram.

As we know as a doctor I may also be responsible for having to approve abortions and such, which conflicts with my religion, should I give up my dream?

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Labbayka said:

1)Researching and editing genes, including stuff like viruses and such 

Nothing wrong with this per se. It's just like hacking , you can learn and use it for good or to cause harm, up to you.

2)Creating medicines with haram ingredients/administrating haram ingredient medicine, for example if I have to prescribe a pill that contains gelatine or a mind altering drug to an insane person.

It is not obligatory on a Muslim to investigate whether or not the medicine [given to him] consists of forbidden ingredients, even if the process of reading a result is easy for him. (Ayatullah Sistani)

may also be responsible for having to approve abortions and such, which conflicts with my religion, should I give up my dream?

This could be a problem. I started a thread sometime back over NHS turning off life support of a young Muslim girl & her parent's subsequent protest and received a lot of backlash over it, surprisingly, both on SC and off SC. The religious divide over ethical medical issues is going to grow even bigger and Muslims living in west should prepare themselves to deal with them.

I suggest you give this a read. This will answer almost all your queries

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2057/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 2/13/2021 at 8:54 PM, Muhammad Al-Hurr said:

Are you able to avoid them as a doctor?

Avoid what dear brother? 

On 2/14/2021 at 5:52 AM, starlight said:

Nothing wrong with this per se. It's just like hacking , you can learn and use it for good or to cause harm, up to you.

It is not obligatory on a Muslim to investigate whether or not the medicine [given to him] consists of forbidden ingredients, even if the process of reading a result is easy for him. (Ayatullah Sistani)

But seeing as I already know that most capsules contain gelatine I am not ignorant of it, I will have to be prescribing these day after day in the medical profession. Not to mention other key medicines which no doubt have some traces of animal.

This could be a problem. I started a thread sometime back over NHS turning off life support of a young Muslim girl & her parent's subsequent protest and received a lot of backlash over it, surprisingly, both on SC and off SC. The religious divide over ethical medical issues is going to grow even bigger and Muslims living in west should prepare themselves to deal with them.

But the question is how do you deal with it? If I become a doctor I pledge an oath to do my best for the patient, but if my religious morals interviene then what can i do? If a women comes to me one day and says she wants an abortion, and I'm tasked with setting her up for one, I have to do it, but religiously I know it's wrong. So where is the middle path? 

I've skimmed thru the thread, yet it still poses issues, what I'm the only doctor who can look at a women who might be having fertility issues or pregnancy issues, stuff like this. I'm probably going to abandon this field.

I suggest you give this a read. This will answer almost all your queries

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2057/

• Moderators

I think @notme gave the best answer so far. 

I would also like to add that every field of work has gray areas that you will have to navigate. So in this way, being a doctor is no different from being in IT, Engineering, Service Industries, etc. There are always aspects to a job or career that, if you are not careful, will lead you into gray areas and even into haram and sometimes big haram. The fact that you are aware of the areas and are investigating them is a good sign that you will be ethical in whatever career you choose, provided you maintain this habit and don't become complacent. 

About the medicines, like was said previously, it is not your job to comb thru ingredients in each medication in order to find najasat / haram substances. When you write a prescription, you are recommending a course of treatment for the patient. In fact, it is up to the patient whether they choose to take the medication or not. As you know, many of them don't even if you prescribe it for them. Also, some will do it, no matter what is in it because they trust your recommendation, but it is ultimately up to them. Also, rules for ingesting of a substance if it is a medication is different from rules for ingesting a substance if it is not a medication. For example, narcotics such as opiates are haram to ingest under normal circumstances, but if they are a medication prescribed by a doctor then they are not, provided that the person use them in accordance with the doctors recommendations. 

The abortion thing is more problematic, but even this can be avoided. Choose an area or specialty where you won't have to be put in this situation. There are many areas of medicine and research to choose from where this will never become an issue. If it does come up at some point, you can deal with it then. There is no way to predict everything that will happen in the future. You can only make a choice that you feel is the best at the time, in line with your beliefs, and let Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) take care of the rest. The Holy Quran says 'And whoever trusts in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will make an outlet for him', i.e. Whoever trusts in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will make for him an exit out of a difficult situation where he / she will be able to preserver their beliefs and morals. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Advanced Member

To be honest, I feel like the work/field of medicine is becoming very haram, which is sad because we need more Muslim doctors but they are asked to study things that are unethical in our faith. I'm going to give up this dream.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members
On 3/2/2021 at 4:55 PM, Labbayka said:

To be honest, I feel like the work/field of medicine is becoming very haram, which is sad because we need more Muslim doctors

The only thing Muslims in the west study, is medicine :grin:.

I don't see why you're giving up on perusing medicine, as Abu Hadi mentioned, you can avoid the problematic areas unless you specifically choose to work in an area where said problems arise.