In the Name of God بسم الله

Saying of one the imams about true Shia

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalam Alaykum,

A while ago I can across a saying by one of the Imams (عليه السلام). where he talks about who the true shia are and in that saying he lists qualities and then removes groups of people from the list until he gets to who the true shia are. I was wondering if anyone has come across such as saying and if you if you I would be grateful if you can post it please.

I apologise if I did not explain it well but this is all I remember.

Jazakum Allah Khair 

2 hours ago, sarah khadem said:

Asalam Alaykum,

A while ago I can across a saying by one of the Imams (عليه السلام). where he talks about who the true shia are and in that saying he lists qualities and then removes groups of people from the list until he gets to who the true shia are. I was wondering if anyone has come across such as saying and if you if you I would be grateful if you can post it please.

Jazakum Allah Khair 

Yes this hadeeth exists and is about a group of people who come to Ali and say they are his Shias or followers and he corrects them and says why don’t u have any of the signs of my followers and he enumerated very difficult conditions for his Shia , such as dry limps from constant dhikr, their stomach touching their spine from constant fasting, yellow skin from staying up late every night praying , being weak in appearance and exhausted due to worship fasting and asceticism, this hadeeth exists and is very alarming to anyone who believes it follows it , for the conditions are very difficult, basically leave all dunyanthings and focus solely on God

he described very ascetic conditions , and relates them with physical descriptions which quiet frankly very few would be able to meet even amongst the scholars 

and some might argue against it, but imam Ali as we know did very extreme physical things when it comes to worship such as 1000 rakaat every night , which we know zainul abideen confirms and even he says struggles to do 

you can feel that man had a very difficult life exerting himself towards God when you go to his grave u feel his body is still radiating that heaviness that iron will that strong devotion 

it’s so entwined  into the fabric of his being that it still radiates from his body it’s like a forceful wave or gravity or something , anyone that’s been to his grave u feel it instantly the closer u get to the grave as well , u feel a stronger force from him radiating , very exhausting to feel let alone how he bore his whole life , when I was there I couldn’t stay longer than 30 mins maybe less it was so hard to bear , especially when u pray or read dua it’s like a tonne of bricks on ur back

Edited by theEndIsNear

On 2/4/2021 at 6:17 PM, sarah khadem said:

Asalam Alaykum,

Jazakum Allah Khair 

Salaam alaikum. I feel this is the hadith you're reffering to,

Imam Muhammad Al Baaqir (عليه السلام) said

Imam Muhammad Al Baaqir (عليه السلام) asked Jabir: "Does it suffice for one who claims to be our follower to just express his friendship with the members of the Holy Household? I swear by Allah that no one is our true follower unless he fears Allah and obeys Him. Our followers are known for their humbleness and frequent remembrance of Allah; fasting; praying; helping the orphans, the needy, the ones in debt and needy neighbors; reading the Quran; and talking properly with the people. They have always been trustworthy in their tribes." Jabir asked: "O' Grandson of the Prophet! I do not know anybody with these traits. Do not let the various sects affect you. Do you think that it suffices for one to say that he likes Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and he is his follower, but does not do anything to support his claim? Or he says that he likes the Prophet (saws), who is even better than Imam Ali (عليه السلام) but does not take his example and follow his deeds and act according to the Prophet's tradition. Just having love for the Prophet (saws) is of no use for him. Therefore fear Allah, and act in such a way as to attain what is near Allah, since there is no relation of kin between Allah and anyone. The one most loved by Allah is the one who is the most pious, and the noblest one is the one who fears Allah and obeys Him. I swear by Allah that it is not possible to get close to Allah unless by His obedience, and we do not hold the key to relief from the Fire of Hell, and no one has any authority over Allah. Whoever is obedient to Allah is our friend, and whoever disobeys Allah is our enemy. No one can attain our friendship unless by having nobility and piety."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 290

I will post more relevant hadith.

Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) said

Muhzam said that once he went to see Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) and he talked about Shiites. The Imam (عليه السلام) said: "O' Muhzam! Our true follower is one whose voice will not pass through his ears and leave his body and reach someone else . He does not like our enemies, and is not the enemy of our friends. He does not associate with those who boast about us, does not bark like dogs, and is not greedy like crows. He does not ask anyone for anything even if he is starving to death. He is aloof. If our follower's houses are distant from each other, their words are not. If they are absent, no one will look for them; and if they are present, no one will pay any attention to them. If they propose marriage, no one will marry off their daughters to them. They leave this world with their desires still in their hearts. If they see a believer, they will respect him. If they see an infidel, they will abandon him. If a needy person comes to see them, they will have mercy upon him and help him by using their own property." Then he (عليه السلام) added: "O' Muhzam! My grandfather, the Prophet of Allah (saws) told Ali (عليه السلام): 'O' Ali! One who thinks that he likes me and does not like you is a liar. I am the city, and you are its gate. How can anyone enter a city without going through its gate?"

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 297

Imam Amir-ul-Momineen Ali (عليه السلام) said

Amir al-Momineen Imam 'Ali ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام) asked Nawf al-Bakali, 'Do you know who my Shi`aa are, Nawf?' to which he replied, 'By Allah, no.' Imam (عليه السلام) replied, 'My Shi`aa have parched lips and empty stomachs. They are those whose faces disclose asceticism, for they are ascetics by night, lions by day.'

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 28, no. 95; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

"Verily I am one of your Shi`aa", Imam Hasan ibn Ali (عليه السلام) said

'O Aabdallah, if you are truly obedient to us in our commands and prohibitions, then you are telling the truth. But if not, then do not add to your sins by falsely claiming such a dignified position that you are not worthy of. Do not say, 'I am one of your Shi`aa', but say rather, 'I am one of your adherents and one of your lovers and an enemy to your enemies.' You are [doing] good and aiming towards good

Tanbih al-Khawatir, v. 2, p. 106; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

Imam Muhammmad Al Baaqir (عليه السلام) said

Our Shi`aa are none other than those who are consciously wary of their duty to Allah and obey Him. They are known solely for their humbleness, their humility, their returning promptly whatever is entrusted in their care and their Abundant remembrance of Allah

Tuhaf al-`Uqoul, p. 295; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

Our Shi`aa are of three types: one type dupe people in our name, one type are like glass which discloses everything that is inside it [that they, like glass, cannot keep hidden that which is placed in their trust, like secrets (ed.)], and one type are like red gold, which the more it is brandished in the fire, the purer it becomes.

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 186, no. 24; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

Verily the Shi`aa of Ali were those who restrained their stomachs and their sexual desires, who struggled and fought intensely, who worked hard for their Creator, who hoped for His reward and feared His punishment. If you have seen such people, then they are the very Shi`aa of Ja'far.

al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 233, no. 9; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

Test our Shi`aa with regard to three things: the prayer times to see how well they observe them, their secrets to see how well they guard them from our enemies, and their wealth to see how they help out their fellow brothers with it

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 83, p. 22, no. 40; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

Verily our Shi`aa are those who possess four eyes: two in their head, as well as two in their heart. Actually, all people are such, except that Allah has opened their [the Shi`aa's] eyes, and blinded others' [as a result of their rejection of His guidance].

al-Kafi, v. 8, p. 215, no. 260; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

One who claims to follow us with his tongue, but does the opposite to our actions and deeds is not from among our Shi`aa.

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 68, p. 164, no. 13; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

There is a group of people who claim that I am their Imam, but by Allah, I am no Imam of theirs may Allah curse them every time I conceal a secret, they disclose it. Every time I explain a matter, they retort, saying, 'Actually that means such and such.' I am only the Imam of those who obey me

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 2, p. 80, no. 76; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

The one who rejects four things is not from among our Shi`aa. They are: the Prophet's Ascension to the heavens, the questioning in the grave, the creation of Heaven and Hell, and intercession

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 69, p. 9, no. 11; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

Once asked a man about his tribe and brothers whom he had left back home, which the latter replied by praising them, attesting to their integrity and extolling them. Then Imam (عليه السلام) asked, 'Do the rich among them visit the poor when they are ill?' He replied, 'Not much.' 'Do the rich frequent the poor at all?' asked Imam. The man replied, 'Not much.' 'Then, do the rich maintain relations with the leaders from amongst the poor?' The man replied, 'Verily you are listing virtues that people amongst us rarely possess.' Imam said, 'Then how can these people claim to be Shi`aa?!

al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 173, no. 10; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

Imam Moosa Al Kaazim (عليه السلام) said

One who goes into retreat [in order to achieve spiritual upliftment] and who does not attain piety in his heart as a result is not from among our Shi`aa.

Basa'ir al-Darajat, p. 247, no. 10; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

The Shi`aa are of three types: one type who loves us and shows affection towards us, and he is one of us. The other type is he who adorns himself through us, and we will serve as an adornment for whoever adorns himself through us. And the third type seeks to cheat people and enrich himself in our name, and whoever does this will be impoverished.

al-Khisal, p. 103, no. 61; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 846

O community of Shi`aa the Shi`aa of the household of Muhammad be like the middle saddle-cushion, on which the extremist who has slid forward falls back, and with which the follower who is yet to come catches up.' Upon hearing this, a man called Sa`ad from among the ansar asked him, 'May I be your ransom, who is an extremist?' He replied, 'They are a group of people who say such things about us that we do not say about ourselves. Neither are these people from among us, nor do we associate ourselves with them.' Then the man asked, 'Who is the follower that is yet to come?' He replied, 'The one who is searching for good and wants it, and who will eventually attain it and be rewarded for it.

al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 75, no. 6; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 846

O `Aabd al-A`ala, give my greetings of peace and the mercy of Allah to my Shi`aa, and tell them: 'Allah has mercy on the servant who incites love in the people towards himself and towards us [when attracting them towards Islam], by displaying to them that which they already like, and keeping from them that which they would reject.

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 2, p. 77, no. 62; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 846

Meysareh narrated that Imam Muhammmad Al Baaqir (عليه السلام) said: "O' Meysareh! Do you want me to tell you about our followers?" He said: "May I be your devoted servant! Yes." "They are like strong castles in faithful hearts. They have strong ideas. They do not hide the truth. They are not vain and ostentatious people. They are worshippers at nighttime and courageous like a lion during the daytime."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 2 On Signs of the Shiites, Hadees 298

Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) said:

"Once a group of people started walking behind Ameer al-Momineen (عليه السلام). He asked them who they were. They said that they were his followers. He asked them why they did not have the signs of his followers. They asked him what the signs of the Shiites are. He said: "Paleness due to shortage of sleep, being slim due to fasting, dried lips due to extensive praying and humbleness."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 282

It has been narrated that Muhammad ibn Nabik narrated on the authority of Abu Abdullah Ja'far ibn Muhammad ibn Muqbal al-Qumi on the authority of abul-Hassan Ali ibn Muhammad al-Za'edi al-Basri on the authority of al-Hassan ibn Sa'd on the authority of al-Haysam ibn Vaqed al-Jazri on the authority of Muhzam:

"Muhzam said that once he went to see Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) and he talked about Shiites. The Imam (عليه السلام) said: "O' Muhzam! Our true follower is one whose voice will not pass through his ears and leave his body and reach someone else . He does not like our enemies, and is not the enemy of our friends. He does not associate with those who boast about us, does not bark like dogs, and is not greedy like crows. He does not ask anyone for anything even if he is starving to death" then it is continued: Muhzam said: "May I be your devoted servant! Where can I find them?" Then Imam Sadiq ((عليه السلام)) said "Look for them on the Earth. They live a simple life. They move about from one town to another. They do not get in fights often. No one will visit them if they get ill. No one will follow their corpse in their funeral processions when they die. If an ignorant person addresses them, they will greet him. They are not restless when it is time for them to die. They help others with their property. If a needy person comes to see them, they will have mercy upon him and give him from what they own. Their hearts are not separate from each other even if their towns are." Then he said: "Allah's Prophet (saws) said: 'O' Ali! Whoever says that he thinks he likes me, but is your enemy is a liar."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 297

"The true followers of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) are those who donate from their wealth to each other due to our friendship; become friends with each other due to our friendship; do not act oppressively if they get angry; do not waste things when they are pleased. They are blessings for their neighbors; and are a source of comfort and convenience for their associates."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 296

"Ali's follower is one who is careful about what he eats and guards his honor, is hard-working, works for his Creator and expects his rewards from Him, and fears His chastisement. When you see such people, they are my followers also."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 283

"Three acts perfect good deeds: rushing in performing them, hiding them, and not making a big deal out of them. Good deeds are pleasant if done fast. They are important if one does not make a big deal out of them. They are perfect if they are done in secret."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 284

"There are some servants of Allah on the Earth who struggle to fulfill the needs of other people. They will be saved on the Resurrection Day."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 285

"There are some servants of Allah who are eloquent, wise and knowledgeable but their hearts are filled with the fear of Allah and have stopped talking. They compete with each other in doing good deeds to approach Allah. They do not overestimate their deeds, and do not get pleased with the small amount of good deeds that they perform. Although they are intelligent and good people, they consider themselves to be wicked people."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 287

"Allah will humiliate anyone who humiliates a believer due to his being poor. He will remain in such a state until he repents." He also said: "On the Resurrection Day believers will be proud."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 288

The Holy Prophet (saws) said

It has been narrated that the Prophet of Allah (saws) entered the House of Allah accompanied by Fazl ibn Abbas and Usamat ibn Zayd the year he conquered Mecca. When he left that House, he held the door knob in his hands and said "Praise be to Allah who fulfilled His promise and acknowledged His servant, and conquered all the parties alone. Allah removed all the Arab's hatred and arrogance due to their lineage. You are all the children of Adam, and Adam was made of clay. The noblest one among you is the most pious one."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 289

Imam Muhammad Al Baaqir a.ssaid

"Lean on the mid-sized cushion so that those who have gone too far return and those who have been too slow reach you. By Allah, O' followers of the family of Muhammad (saws)! Beware that there are no relations of kin between Allah and us and we have no authority over Allah. One cannot get close to Allah except by obeying Him. Our friendship is useful for those who obey Allah, and is useless for those who are disobedient to Him. Amr said that the Imam (عليه السلام) then turned around, faced them and said: "Do not be fooled, and do not accuse." Amr asked: "What is meant by the mid-sized cushion?" The Imam (عليه السلام) said: "Have you not noticed that when a group of people enter a house in which there are a variety of cushions, they choose the mid-sized ones to lean on and rest?"

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 291

"I advise you to be careful about what you say and guard your honor."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 292

"Those who possess knowledge are the ones who are trustworthy. The pious people are the ones who strictly guard the religion, and the ones who act according to religious decrees are the masters of religion."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 293

Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) quoted on the authority of Allah's Prophet (saws): "Whoever recognizes Allah and His Grandeur will shut his mouth up. He will neither talk nor eat. He will fast and stay up at night to pray." They asked him: "O' Prophet of Allah! (saws) May our parents be your devoted servants! Are they Allah's saints?" He said: "Allah's saints are quiet, and their silence is in remembrance of Allah. They look, and their looking is to learn a lesson. They talk, and their sayings are words of wisdom. They walk around, and their walking is a blessing for the people. If their life was not predestined for them, their souls would leave their bodies from the fear of divine chastisement and the eagerness for receiving divine rewards."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 294

Imam Ali ibn Husayn (عليه السلام) said

"Ameer al-Momineen (عليه السلام) said his morning prayer, sat in his place of prayer and waited until the sun started to rise. Then he faced the people and said: "I swear by Allah that I saw some people who stood up in prayer and prostrated in Allah's worship all night long, and pressed their knees and foreheads against the floor as if they heard the blazing Fire of Hell, and would shake like trees whenever they were reminded of Allah, as if they had been in ignorance." Imam Zayn al-Abedin (عليه السلام) continued: "Then Ameer al-Momineen (عليه السلام) stood up and was never seen to laugh again until he died."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 295

"Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) followers are slim and their lips are dry due to frequent mentioning and praise of Allah in His remembrance."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 2 On Signs of the Shiites, Hadees 299

"Indeed the companions of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) were trustworthy and trusted by the tribes. The people were pleased with them. They used to stay up at night for worshipping, and were bright sources (of guidance) in the daytime."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 2 On Signs of the Shiites, Hadees 300

"How good it is for an eloquent person to be silent! There are instances of slip of the tongue in talking that might cause one's failure."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 286

"Three acts perfect good deeds: rushing in performing them, hiding them, and not making a big deal out of them. Good deeds are pleasant if done fast. They are important if one does not make a big deal out of them. They are perfect if they are done in secret."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 284

O Shi`aa community, be an adornment for us [amongst people] and not a disgrace to us. Say good words to people, guard your tongues and restrain yourselves from mindless chatter and offensive speech

Amali al-Saduq, p. 327, no. 17; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 847

The Holy Prophet (saws) said

On the Day of Resurrection, pulpits will be set up around the Throne for my Shi`aa and the Shi`aa of my household, who are sincere in their adherence to our guardianship. Then Allah, Mighty and Exalted, will say, 'Hurry to Me My servants that I may spread My Magnanimity over you, for you have been hurt in the world

Uyoun Akhbar Imam Ali Al Riza (a), v. 2, p. 60, no. 232; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 847

And the Foremost Ones are the foremost ones: they are the ones brought near to Allah" [Holy Qur'an 56:10,11], to which he replied, 'This refers to Ali and his Shi`aa they will be the foremost to enter Paradise, the ones brought near to Allah through His Magnanimity over them.'

Amali al-Tusi, p. 72, no. 104; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 847

Imam Amir-ul-Mu'mineen Ali (عليه السلام) said

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said, I complained to the Prophet (saws) about people's jealousy towards me, so he replied, 'O Ali, the first four people to enter Paradise will be myself, you, Hasan and Husayn. The rest of our progeny will be behind us, those who love us will be behind them, and our Shi`aa will be on either side of us.

Kitab al-Irshad, v. 1, p. 43; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 842

Umm Salama, the wife of the Prophet (saws), was once asked about [the status of] Ali b. Abi Talib (عليه السلام), to which she replied, 'I have heard the Prophet (saws) say, 'Verily Ali and his Shi`aa are the victorious ones

Kitab al-Irshad, v. 1, p. 41; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

On 2/7/2021 at 8:04 AM, randomly curious said:

Salaam alaikum. I feel this is the hadith you're reffering to,

Imam Muhammad Al Baaqir (عليه السلام) asked Jabir: "Does it suffice for one who claims to be our follower to just express his friendship with the members of the Holy Household? I swear by Allah that no one is our true follower unless he fears Allah and obeys Him. Our followers are known for their humbleness and frequent remembrance of Allah; fasting; praying; helping the orphans, the needy, the ones in debt and needy neighbors; reading the Quran; and talking properly with the people. They have always been trustworthy in their tribes." Jabir asked: "O' Grandson of the Prophet! I do not know anybody with these traits. Do not let the various sects affect you. Do you think that it suffices for one to say that he likes Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and he is his follower, but does not do anything to support his claim? Or he says that he likes the Prophet (saws), who is even better than Imam Ali (عليه السلام) but does not take his example and follow his deeds and act according to the Prophet's tradition. Just having love for the Prophet (saws) is of no use for him. Therefore fear Allah, and act in such a way as to attain what is near Allah, since there is no relation of kin between Allah and anyone. The one most loved by Allah is the one who is the most pious, and the noblest one is the one who fears Allah and obeys Him. I swear by Allah that it is not possible to get close to Allah unless by His obedience, and we do not hold the key to relief from the Fire of Hell, and no one has any authority over Allah. Whoever is obedient to Allah is our friend, and whoever disobeys Allah is our enemy. No one can attain our friendship unless by having nobility and piety."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 290

I will post more relevant hadith.

Muhzam said that once he went to see Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) and he talked about Shiites. The Imam (عليه السلام) said: "O' Muhzam! Our true follower is one whose voice will not pass through his ears and leave his body and reach someone else . He does not like our enemies, and is not the enemy of our friends. He does not associate with those who boast about us, does not bark like dogs, and is not greedy like crows. He does not ask anyone for anything even if he is starving to death. He is aloof. If our follower's houses are distant from each other, their words are not. If they are absent, no one will look for them; and if they are present, no one will pay any attention to them. If they propose marriage, no one will marry off their daughters to them. They leave this world with their desires still in their hearts. If they see a believer, they will respect him. If they see an infidel, they will abandon him. If a needy person comes to see them, they will have mercy upon him and help him by using their own property." Then he (عليه السلام) added: "O' Muhzam! My grandfather, the Prophet of Allah (saws) told Ali (عليه السلام): 'O' Ali! One who thinks that he likes me and does not like you is a liar. I am the city, and you are its gate. How can anyone enter a city without going through its gate?"

Imam Amir-ul-Momineen Ali (عليه السلام) said

Amir al-Momineen Imam 'Ali ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام) asked Nawf al-Bakali, 'Do you know who my Shi`aa are, Nawf?' to which he replied, 'By Allah, no.' Imam (عليه السلام) replied, 'My Shi`aa have parched lips and empty stomachs. They are those whose faces disclose asceticism, for they are ascetics by night, lions by day.'

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 28, no. 95; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

"Verily I am one of your Shi`aa", Imam Hasan ibn Ali (عليه السلام) said

'O Aabdallah, if you are truly obedient to us in our commands and prohibitions, then you are telling the truth. But if not, then do not add to your sins by falsely claiming such a dignified position that you are not worthy of. Do not say, 'I am one of your Shi`aa', but say rather, 'I am one of your adherents and one of your lovers and an enemy to your enemies.' You are [doing] good and aiming towards good

Tanbih al-Khawatir, v. 2, p. 106; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

Imam Muhammmad Al Baaqir (عليه السلام) said

Our Shi`aa are none other than those who are consciously wary of their duty to Allah and obey Him. They are known solely for their humbleness, their humility, their returning promptly whatever is entrusted in their care and their Abundant remembrance of Allah

Tuhaf al-`Uqoul, p. 295; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

Our Shi`aa are of three types: one type dupe people in our name, one type are like glass which discloses everything that is inside it [that they, like glass, cannot keep hidden that which is placed in their trust, like secrets (ed.)], and one type are like red gold, which the more it is brandished in the fire, the purer it becomes.

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 78, p. 186, no. 24; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

Verily the Shi`aa of Ali were those who restrained their stomachs and their sexual desires, who struggled and fought intensely, who worked hard for their Creator, who hoped for His reward and feared His punishment. If you have seen such people, then they are the very Shi`aa of Ja'far.

al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 233, no. 9; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

Test our Shi`aa with regard to three things: the prayer times to see how well they observe them, their secrets to see how well they guard them from our enemies, and their wealth to see how they help out their fellow brothers with it

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 83, p. 22, no. 40; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

Verily our Shi`aa are those who possess four eyes: two in their head, as well as two in their heart. Actually, all people are such, except that Allah has opened their [the Shi`aa's] eyes, and blinded others' [as a result of their rejection of His guidance].

al-Kafi, v. 8, p. 215, no. 260; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

One who claims to follow us with his tongue, but does the opposite to our actions and deeds is not from among our Shi`aa.

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 68, p. 164, no. 13; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

There is a group of people who claim that I am their Imam, but by Allah, I am no Imam of theirs may Allah curse them every time I conceal a secret, they disclose it. Every time I explain a matter, they retort, saying, 'Actually that means such and such.' I am only the Imam of those who obey me

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 2, p. 80, no. 76; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 844

The one who rejects four things is not from among our Shi`aa. They are: the Prophet's Ascension to the heavens, the questioning in the grave, the creation of Heaven and Hell, and intercession

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 69, p. 9, no. 11; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

Once asked a man about his tribe and brothers whom he had left back home, which the latter replied by praising them, attesting to their integrity and extolling them. Then Imam (عليه السلام) asked, 'Do the rich among them visit the poor when they are ill?' He replied, 'Not much.' 'Do the rich frequent the poor at all?' asked Imam. The man replied, 'Not much.' 'Then, do the rich maintain relations with the leaders from amongst the poor?' The man replied, 'Verily you are listing virtues that people amongst us rarely possess.' Imam said, 'Then how can these people claim to be Shi`aa?!

al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 173, no. 10; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

Imam Moosa Al Kaazim (عليه السلام) said

One who goes into retreat [in order to achieve spiritual upliftment] and who does not attain piety in his heart as a result is not from among our Shi`aa.

Basa'ir al-Darajat, p. 247, no. 10; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 845

The Shi`aa are of three types: one type who loves us and shows affection towards us, and he is one of us. The other type is he who adorns himself through us, and we will serve as an adornment for whoever adorns himself through us. And the third type seeks to cheat people and enrich himself in our name, and whoever does this will be impoverished.

al-Khisal, p. 103, no. 61; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 846

O community of Shi`aa the Shi`aa of the household of Muhammad be like the middle saddle-cushion, on which the extremist who has slid forward falls back, and with which the follower who is yet to come catches up.' Upon hearing this, a man called Sa`ad from among the ansar asked him, 'May I be your ransom, who is an extremist?' He replied, 'They are a group of people who say such things about us that we do not say about ourselves. Neither are these people from among us, nor do we associate ourselves with them.' Then the man asked, 'Who is the follower that is yet to come?' He replied, 'The one who is searching for good and wants it, and who will eventually attain it and be rewarded for it.

al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 75, no. 6; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 846

O `Aabd al-A`ala, give my greetings of peace and the mercy of Allah to my Shi`aa, and tell them: 'Allah has mercy on the servant who incites love in the people towards himself and towards us [when attracting them towards Islam], by displaying to them that which they already like, and keeping from them that which they would reject.

Bihar al-Anwar, v. 2, p. 77, no. 62; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 846

Meysareh narrated that Imam Muhammmad Al Baaqir (عليه السلام) said: "O' Meysareh! Do you want me to tell you about our followers?" He said: "May I be your devoted servant! Yes." "They are like strong castles in faithful hearts. They have strong ideas. They do not hide the truth. They are not vain and ostentatious people. They are worshippers at nighttime and courageous like a lion during the daytime."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 2 On Signs of the Shiites, Hadees 298

"Once a group of people started walking behind Ameer al-Momineen (عليه السلام). He asked them who they were. They said that they were his followers. He asked them why they did not have the signs of his followers. They asked him what the signs of the Shiites are. He said: "Paleness due to shortage of sleep, being slim due to fasting, dried lips due to extensive praying and humbleness."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 282

It has been narrated that Muhammad ibn Nabik narrated on the authority of Abu Abdullah Ja'far ibn Muhammad ibn Muqbal al-Qumi on the authority of abul-Hassan Ali ibn Muhammad al-Za'edi al-Basri on the authority of al-Hassan ibn Sa'd on the authority of al-Haysam ibn Vaqed al-Jazri on the authority of Muhzam:

"Muhzam said that once he went to see Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) and he talked about Shiites. The Imam (عليه السلام) said: "O' Muhzam! Our true follower is one whose voice will not pass through his ears and leave his body and reach someone else . He does not like our enemies, and is not the enemy of our friends. He does not associate with those who boast about us, does not bark like dogs, and is not greedy like crows. He does not ask anyone for anything even if he is starving to death" then it is continued: Muhzam said: "May I be your devoted servant! Where can I find them?" Then Imam Sadiq ((عليه السلام)) said "Look for them on the Earth. They live a simple life. They move about from one town to another. They do not get in fights often. No one will visit them if they get ill. No one will follow their corpse in their funeral processions when they die. If an ignorant person addresses them, they will greet him. They are not restless when it is time for them to die. They help others with their property. If a needy person comes to see them, they will have mercy upon him and give him from what they own. Their hearts are not separate from each other even if their towns are." Then he said: "Allah's Prophet (saws) said: 'O' Ali! Whoever says that he thinks he likes me, but is your enemy is a liar."

"The true followers of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) are those who donate from their wealth to each other due to our friendship; become friends with each other due to our friendship; do not act oppressively if they get angry; do not waste things when they are pleased. They are blessings for their neighbors; and are a source of comfort and convenience for their associates."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 296

"Ali's follower is one who is careful about what he eats and guards his honor, is hard-working, works for his Creator and expects his rewards from Him, and fears His chastisement. When you see such people, they are my followers also."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 283

"There are some servants of Allah on the Earth who struggle to fulfill the needs of other people. They will be saved on the Resurrection Day."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 285

"There are some servants of Allah who are eloquent, wise and knowledgeable but their hearts are filled with the fear of Allah and have stopped talking. They compete with each other in doing good deeds to approach Allah. They do not overestimate their deeds, and do not get pleased with the small amount of good deeds that they perform. Although they are intelligent and good people, they consider themselves to be wicked people."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 287

"Allah will humiliate anyone who humiliates a believer due to his being poor. He will remain in such a state until he repents." He also said: "On the Resurrection Day believers will be proud."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 288

It has been narrated that the Prophet of Allah (saws) entered the House of Allah accompanied by Fazl ibn Abbas and Usamat ibn Zayd the year he conquered Mecca. When he left that House, he held the door knob in his hands and said "Praise be to Allah who fulfilled His promise and acknowledged His servant, and conquered all the parties alone. Allah removed all the Arab's hatred and arrogance due to their lineage. You are all the children of Adam, and Adam was made of clay. The noblest one among you is the most pious one."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 289

Imam Muhammad Al Baaqir a.ssaid

"Lean on the mid-sized cushion so that those who have gone too far return and those who have been too slow reach you. By Allah, O' followers of the family of Muhammad (saws)! Beware that there are no relations of kin between Allah and us and we have no authority over Allah. One cannot get close to Allah except by obeying Him. Our friendship is useful for those who obey Allah, and is useless for those who are disobedient to Him. Amr said that the Imam (عليه السلام) then turned around, faced them and said: "Do not be fooled, and do not accuse." Amr asked: "What is meant by the mid-sized cushion?" The Imam (عليه السلام) said: "Have you not noticed that when a group of people enter a house in which there are a variety of cushions, they choose the mid-sized ones to lean on and rest?"

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 291

"I advise you to be careful about what you say and guard your honor."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 292

"Those who possess knowledge are the ones who are trustworthy. The pious people are the ones who strictly guard the religion, and the ones who act according to religious decrees are the masters of religion."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 293

Imam Ja'far Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) quoted on the authority of Allah's Prophet (saws): "Whoever recognizes Allah and His Grandeur will shut his mouth up. He will neither talk nor eat. He will fast and stay up at night to pray." They asked him: "O' Prophet of Allah! (saws) May our parents be your devoted servants! Are they Allah's saints?" He said: "Allah's saints are quiet, and their silence is in remembrance of Allah. They look, and their looking is to learn a lesson. They talk, and their sayings are words of wisdom. They walk around, and their walking is a blessing for the people. If their life was not predestined for them, their souls would leave their bodies from the fear of divine chastisement and the eagerness for receiving divine rewards."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 294

Imam Ali ibn Husayn (عليه السلام) said

"Ameer al-Momineen (عليه السلام) said his morning prayer, sat in his place of prayer and waited until the sun started to rise. Then he faced the people and said: "I swear by Allah that I saw some people who stood up in prayer and prostrated in Allah's worship all night long, and pressed their knees and foreheads against the floor as if they heard the blazing Fire of Hell, and would shake like trees whenever they were reminded of Allah, as if they had been in ignorance." Imam Zayn al-Abedin (عليه السلام) continued: "Then Ameer al-Momineen (عليه السلام) stood up and was never seen to laugh again until he died."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 295

"Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) followers are slim and their lips are dry due to frequent mentioning and praise of Allah in His remembrance."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 2 On Signs of the Shiites, Hadees 299

"Indeed the companions of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) were trustworthy and trusted by the tribes. The people were pleased with them. They used to stay up at night for worshipping, and were bright sources (of guidance) in the daytime."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 2 On Signs of the Shiites, Hadees 300

"How good it is for an eloquent person to be silent! There are instances of slip of the tongue in talking that might cause one's failure."

Mishkat ul-Anwar, Section 2 On Shiites: Their Signs, and Manners Chapter 1 On Shiite Characteristics, Hadees 286

O Shi`aa community, be an adornment for us [amongst people] and not a disgrace to us. Say good words to people, guard your tongues and restrain yourselves from mindless chatter and offensive speech

Amali al-Saduq, p. 327, no. 17; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 847

The Holy Prophet (saws) said

On the Day of Resurrection, pulpits will be set up around the Throne for my Shi`aa and the Shi`aa of my household, who are sincere in their adherence to our guardianship. Then Allah, Mighty and Exalted, will say, 'Hurry to Me My servants that I may spread My Magnanimity over you, for you have been hurt in the world

Uyoun Akhbar Imam Ali Al Riza (a), v. 2, p. 60, no. 232; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 847

And the Foremost Ones are the foremost ones: they are the ones brought near to Allah" [Holy Qur'an 56:10,11], to which he replied, 'This refers to Ali and his Shi`aa they will be the foremost to enter Paradise, the ones brought near to Allah through His Magnanimity over them.'

Amali al-Tusi, p. 72, no. 104; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 847

Imam Amir-ul-Mu'mineen Ali (عليه السلام) said

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said, I complained to the Prophet (saws) about people's jealousy towards me, so he replied, 'O Ali, the first four people to enter Paradise will be myself, you, Hasan and Husayn. The rest of our progeny will be behind us, those who love us will be behind them, and our Shi`aa will be on either side of us.

Kitab al-Irshad, v. 1, p. 43; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 842

Umm Salama, the wife of the Prophet (saws), was once asked about [the status of] Ali b. Abi Talib (عليه السلام), to which she replied, 'I have heard the Prophet (saws) say, 'Verily Ali and his Shi`aa are the victorious ones

Kitab al-Irshad, v. 1, p. 41; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 843

Thank you I just went by memory