Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

From Tent City Skid Row, CA To the Ghettos of Detroit, MI, USA

• Veteran Member

Sanitary and living conditions for an estimated 2,000 homeless people along Los Angeles’ Skid Row are so severe that the United Nations recently compared them to Syrian refugee camps. How does extreme poverty persist in one of the country’s most expensive real estate markets? NewsHour Weekend Special Correspondent Simon Ostrovsky reports. This is part of an ongoing series of reports called 'Chasing the Dream,' which reports on poverty and opportunity in America.

'Typhus zone': Rats and trash infest Los Angeles' skid row ...

Detroit, MI

Recently Detroit filed for a Chapter 9 bankruptcy due to its colossal $18 billion dollars in debt. It's the largest American city thus far to go belly up. Detroit was once the most prosperous city in America by a wide margin. Decades ago it was even referred to as "the Paris of the West" due to its tremendous architectural beauty. Unfortunately since the 1950's the city has steadily declined in population and per capita income and increased in unemployment and crime rate. Detroit is now not only one of the most dangerous cities in America, but the entire world for a number of factors including murder rate and police response times averaging over an hour. Seven out of eight murders in Detroit go unsolved, allegedly due to exceptionally low police resources. The city is also plagued with an average of over 30 arson fires per day with many that don't get put out for hours due to severely inadequate fire department resources. It's sad to see a once magnificent city brought to its knees through government corruption and failed philosophies, fading local industries, moral decay and so on. Hopefully Detroit will find a path to real change and climb its way back to becoming the world class city it once was. If you find this Super Ghettos of Detroit video interesting then make sure to give it a thumbs up and post a comment below and say what you think.

detroit michigan ghetto | Detroit, Michigan (Hood ...

• Moderators

Poverty in "the richest country in the world" is indeed disgusting. But those with money have power, so probably the only way to correct the problem will end up being revolution. I, as a mostly-pacifist, really hope we can correct this with peaceful means like reasonable taxes for the wealthy and universal basic income, health care, and housing. It's almost too late. 

• Veteran Member

@notme

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

Insh'Allah dear sister, you are able to reach those goals as a nation.  But it is disheartening to see Joe Biden bringing back the troops back to Syria, instead of giving stimulus checks to the American people.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN ALLAH

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Laayla said:

But it is disheartening to see Joe Biden bringing back the troops back to Syria

Absolutely, but not unexpected. We knew he's a warmonger. He's still better than Trump, at least domestically, but none of them are actually representative of the American people. None of them care about anything but their corporate sponsors and the power of their political party. War contractors give big money to politicians. Politicians have to find ways to use our tax money to return the favor. 

• Veteran Member

Sister @notme 

I'm aware the establishment doesn't care for its people.  The oligarchs are ruling both parties.  Thousands of people are dying everyday from Covid, drug overdose, and from crime.  It's a travesty what is happening to communities all across America.  I just have one question, why are the American people not protesting at the failed system that keeps punishing them time and time again?

There have been many schools in the Detroit area that had to close down. 

The Detroit Public School system is broken.  There are no jobs, houses are boarded up, and the city is infested with drugs, gangs, and crime.

Detroit is a classic story of a once-thriving city that has lost its employment base, its upper and middle classes, and much of its hope for the future. The city has been on a long, slow decline for decades. It’s difficult to convey the postapocalyptic nature of Detroit. Miles upon miles of abandoned houses are in piles of rot and ashes. Unemployment, violent crime, and decades of underinvestment have led to a near-complete breakdown of civic infrastructure: the roads are terrible, the police are understaffed, and there is a deeply insufficient social safety net.

There are new federal funds and private investment being directed to Detroit’s renewal. Bankruptcy proceedings are finally under way, and a new mayor wants to make a fresh start. But it’s hard to see how a renaissance can occur without making headway on the public schools. Detroit parents still have very few high-quality options, despite a number of different reform interventions, including putting a state-appointed emergency manager in charge of the district, pulling the lowest-performing schools into a statewide turnaround district, and allowing a significant number of charter schools to operate.

https://www.educationnext.org/fixing-detroits-broken-school-system/

Meanwhile, the water in Flint, MI is poisoned from lead.  The ex-governor of MI is charged only with a $1,000 fine.  Is this not corruption?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/12/flint-water-scandal-charges-ex-governor-michigan-rick-snyder

I know the average American is suffering and the government doesn't care about their lives.

Do you support a general strike?

Isn't it frustrating how the gov't bailouts Wall Street and billionaires, but when it comes to rent payments, bills, and small businesses there is no bailouts given to them?

Cornel West, Jimmy Dore, and a few other progressives started a third party called the People's Party.  Have you heard about this before?

https://peoplesparty.org/

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Laayla said:

Do you support a general strike?

Isn't it frustrating how the gov't bailouts Wall Street and billionaires, but when it comes to rent payments, bills, and small businesses there is no bailouts given to them?

Cornel West, Jimmy Dore, and a few other progressives started a third party called the People's Party.  Have you heard about this before?

https://peoplesparty.org/

I've heard of the People's Party, and in fact have an acquaintance who is running for state delegate under the party label, but I haven't learned much about the party. I need to change that. 

I absolutely do support a general strike, but as a middle class housewife, I have little risk. In the state where I live, all employment is "at will" meaning employers can fire people for any or no reason without notice. Striking is a big risk for everyone who lives paycheck to paycheck. It's also a risk for anyone with a government job or a security clearance. What I'm doing is getting involved in feeding and housing people in my community. Sometimes that includes working alongside people whose lifestyles are very un-Islamic, but to me it's better than doing nothing. If people aren't at risk of losing their homes or going without food, they are much more capable of taking action against oppression. 

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

God bless you dear sister @notme for helping your neighbors and community.  

I saw the breadlines that were taking place in TX and how people are receiving help from churches, non profit organizations, and other charity places.

It's horrible how the US government is causing harm both domestically and internationally.  

God hasten the appearance of Imam Mahdi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Millions of people in Texas were plunged into freezing cold and darkness as a major winter storm overwhelmed the state’s power grid. More than 12 million Texans face water disruptions and have been ordered to boil tap water for safe consumption, and some parts of the state have no running water at all. The state is also running out of food as the storms disrupt key supply chains. Leading Republicans, including Texas Governor Greg Abbott, falsely blamed renewable energy sources for the state’s blackouts, warning against a shift to more green energy, but the state’s own energy department said the outages were primarily due to freezing at natural gas, coal and nuclear facilities. Despite the crisis, state leaders say they will not integrate Texas’s power grid with the rest of the country. “The impact of this storm is more than just power outages and inconveniences,” says Texas Southern University professor Robert Bullard, who warns that the additional costs associated with the crisis will hurt Black and Brown communities most. “That’s the inequity that’s piled on top of the inequity.”

• Forum Administrators
11 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Despite the crisis, state leaders say they will not integrate Texas’s power grid with the rest of the country. 

Texas power grid is independent but it's not isolated. We here in Kansas are connected to the SPP (Southwest Power Pool) and we were forced to lower heat thermostats and had our electricity shut off 60-90 minutes at a time in different neighborhoods, so that power consumption was reduced, in order to help the people in Texas. Rolling blackouts were on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  

Reduce your energy use

Due to extreme frigid weather, energy use is much higher than normal, which is increasing demand on our power grid. Over the next few days, we've been asked to implement controlled, temporary emergency electricity reductions during certain times of the day in order to help avoid larger uncontrolled and extended power outages throughout the region.

To limit emergency electricity reductions and outages, we're asking all customers to cut back on electricity usage until conditions improve. 

To prepare and stay safe, make sure phones, tablets and other devices are charged. Also, have an emergency kit on hand with blankets, warm layers of clothes, flashlights and batteries.

Every little bit helps us (and you) conserve energy and prevent outages. Here are just some ways you can help cut back:
Plug in house icon
Turn off lights and appliances not in use
thermometer icon
Turn your thermostat down a few degrees (65-68 degrees) and avoid using electric space heaters
clock icon
Avoid using large appliances (clothes washers, dryers and dishwashers). If you must, delay use until between 10 pm and 5 am
  • Development Team
37 minutes ago, Laayla said:

In TX, Ted Kruz is facing harsh criticism for leaving TX with his family to vacation in Cancun, Mexico.

Ted Cruz symbolizes everything wrong in the US for me, I'm not surprised but I find it deeply amusing  and ironic that a Latino and a loyal lapdog of Trump's would go south of border when things got really bad in Texas. 

• Veteran Member
47 minutes ago, Laayla said:

TX coverage begins at 33:50

:hahaha:"A.O.C. fund raising."

What did she buy  with $5 million? Bottled water? Trucks to haul it? Fuel trucks for the trucks stuck at closed truck-stops? Pocket liners?

• Veteran Member
17 hours ago, hasanhh said:

What did she buy  with $5 million? Bottled water? Trucks to haul it? Fuel trucks for the trucks stuck at closed truck-stops? Pocket liners?

She is using her platform and showing Texans she cares more than Ted Cruz.

If only she did the same towards Medicaid for All

• Moderators
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

only about herself and showing-off for herself

Maybe. But give an example of a high level US politician who isn't a "public servant" only for their own benefit. 

And besides, who cares that her motivation was to make Ted Cruz look bad? (He's quite capable of that without help!) People needed help and she helped. It's a good thing regardless.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

A rattlesnake motivates more than she does. More politically reliable, too.

So now I'm looking for two examples from you: a national level politician who isn't self-serving, and a national level politician who is reliable. 

• Veteran Member

When millions of Texans lost power during extreme winter weather, some who were fortunate enough to keep the lights on now face astronomically high energy bills, with people being charged thousands of dollars for just a few days of energy use. The skyrocketing bills are a result of the state’s years-long push to deregulate its energy market, says Tyson Slocum, director of Public Citizen’s Energy Program. “We are seeing in these deregulated environments unscrupulous companies preying on their assumption that households will not understand or read the fine print,” says Slocum. We also speak with Texas resident Akilah Scott-Amos, who saw her electricity bill jump to over $11,000 during the storm. “I have no problems with paying my fair share. But this is not fair,” says Scott-Amos.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Laayla said:

The skyrocketing bills are a result of the state’s years-long push to deregulate its energy market

The utility companies who pushed for this need to just eat the cost: everyone who had electricity for that week should get a free week. And it wouldn't be unfair if everyone who had no electricity were compensated for the expenses they incurred just trying to survive. (Portable heaters, fuel, extra clothing, etc) 

It wasn't a natural disaster; it was a choice, and every death should be upon those energy company officials and lobbyists.

Edited by notme
  • Moderators
On 2/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, hasanhh said:

I will give thanks for any politician who is doing something to help the poor and oppressed, as this is in line with the teachings of Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h) and Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)), no matter what their party or ideology. She seems to be doing this more than other politicians. You don't have to agree with all her policies and ideology to make this statement. 

Wealth Inequality is the most major issue in the United States. It has been for the last 40 years at least. No mainstream politicians from either party are doing much about it. So it gets worse and worse. Republicans will point to the people on Skid Row in L.A, Inner City Detroit, (I have spent time in and am familiar with both these places, btw) and say, 'These people are lazy, drug addicts, etc, and they just need to get a job', Democrats will point to the same people and say 'They are victims of an unjust system and they have no way to get out of this mess and the only solution is more government programs'. Both these statements are incorrect and far from the truth. To really know what's going on in these places you need to go and spend time there. What you will find is that there are some drug addicts, some lazy people (just like there are in upper class suburbs) and also some people who are mentally ill, some who are victims of terrible circumstances. The solution for these people, and for everyone is Islam. Because Islam is the only way for these people and everyone else to develop a strong and consistent connection with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) their Creator. Once they have this connection, they will have hope. Once they have hope, they will try to find ways out of their circumstance and will also try to help others out. The exact way this is done is another conversation, but once you have hope, then you have a way out, and hope comes from having a strong and consistent connection with the Creator(s.w.a) 

• Veteran Member
34 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

Republicans will point to the people on Skid Row in L.A, Inner City Detroit, (I have spent time in and am familiar with both these places, btw) and say, 'These people are lazy, drug addicts, etc, and they just need to get a job',

Nah, way too simplistic. Take for example Senator Jesse Helms(d.2008). He personally had poor health and he and his wife adopted a mentally challenged child. These is nothing "lazy" about a child like that.

34 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

Democrats will point to the same people and say 'They are victims of an unjust system and they have no way to get out of this mess and the only solution is more government programs'.

"lt's the system,Man" garbage. No different than students complaining about how teachers grade.

• Veteran Member

@Marcy

Hello.  I wanted to bring your attention to this thread.

What is happening in your state?  Do you see corruption at the state or national level?

Why are many Americans so polarized?

After Rush Limbaugh's death, his legacy is remembered by the likes of Trump.  That's nothing to be proud of.

I watch YouTube channels for independent media, the likes of Abby Martin, Jimmy Dore, Medea Benjamin, Kyle Kulinski just to name a few.

I agree with their political positions, but not when it comes to religious views.  For example, they would agree with the legalization of marijuana.  I wouldn't.  They agree on pro choice, I'm pro life.

As you are a devout Christian, how do you see the state of affairs in America?

• Advanced Member

The ghettos of Detroit and streets of Skid row are still far much better than the war-torn regions of Syria/Lebanon/Iraq and Iran. Texas powerouts happened because of extreme weather which they have not faced in 120 years or so. It happened for 2-3 days. No worries. Iranian power grids can't even handle people mining bitcoin: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/01/16/massive-blackouts-have-hit-iran-government-is-blaming-bitcoin/ . Not to mention The areas I mentioned above have no lights or power in general any way because of post war or ongoing war. 

Every nation has it's problems and issues but even the worst parts of advanced nations are 10 times better than the places I mentioned above.

Wasalam.

What is the point of this thread? 

Everywhere has its ghettos and run-down areas. The difference between the ghettos in the US compared to third world countries is that in third world countries, the majority of living conditions are terrible, with only a very small minority ever reaching what would be the quality of life for a middle class family in the United States. Third world countries are almost entirely run-down with substandard building regulations, bad architectural design, poorly designed roads, and overall, things being unpleasant all around. 

So, again, while third world countries constantly whine and complain about first world countries being, well, first world, the rest of the developed nations are always looking to improve the quality of life in the majority of places. In a small suburban town less than an hour away from where I live, they’ve demolished some older homes and neighborhoods from the sixties and are in the process of widening roads, building new construction, and new parks/landscape. That’s progress. Whereas the Middle East doesn’t look like it’s progressed in architecture and updated safety regulations since the early 1900s.

Edited by Caroling
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, Caroling said:

they’ve demolished some older homes and neighborhoods from the sixties and are in the process of widening roads, building new construction, and new parks/landscape. That’s progress.

I'm a civil engineer and human rights activist.

You can call it progress if you like, and I don't know the details, but often this is gentrification not progress. 

Progress would be insuring that nobody is without necessities like food, shelter, medical care, education, and transportation. The United States can afford to do that, but it doesn't. Why not? 

And also widening roads is usually bad, counterintuitively. It almost always actually makes traffic worse and increases urban runoff. Trust me on this or look it up for yourself. I recommend finding recent studies, not ones from the 80s or earlier. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, notme said:

human rights activist.

8 minutes ago, notme said:

Does this make you angry as well?

https://iran-hrm.com/index.php/2021/02/19/iran-hangs-already-dead-woman-zahra-esmaili-lawyer-says/

https://iranhumanrights.org/2021/02/irans-political-prisoners-are-dying-due-to-denial-of-medical-care/

Why am I mentioning this? Because on this forum, I've come to believe that the majority of people believe Iran to be perfection. As a human rights activist doesn't this make you angry? In fact this entire topic was made in response to people criticizing Iran so it's very well fitting and not irrevalant to the discussion. 

As brother Tawhidi says "For every one violent verse in the quran, I can show you 10 from the Bible".

And I'll say this to you and everyone of your elk. "For every one problem you'll complain about the advanced countries, I'll show you a thousand problems facing the countries you hail to be championing in everything good and Shi'a like."

The good outweighs the bad. Enjoin in the good, don't grasp for the straws simply because it's fashionable to tear down the achievements of better men.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Does this make you angry as well?

Yes, but that isn't carried out by the people who claim to represent me and my family. 

"For every one problem you'll complain about the advanced countries, I'll show you a thousand problems facing the countries you hail to be championing in everything good and Shi'a like."

I don't hail any country. Obviously some are worse than other, but all of them are bad. Power corrupts. 

The good outweighs the bad. Enjoin in the good, don't grasp for the straws simply because it's fashionable to tear down the achievements of better men.

Absolutely there is good! That doesn't make the bad ok! If you can't listen to criticism, you can't improve. 

• Advanced Member
Just now, notme said:

Yes, but that isn't carried out by the people who claim to represent me and my family. 

I doubt it. Otherwise you'd be complaining about them instead of just tearing down the western world because it's fashionable for you and brethern to do.

1 minute ago, notme said:

I don't hail any country. Obviously some are worse than other, but all of them are bad. Power corrupts. 

Not according to all you IR supporters. In fact this thread is just made in response to my topic and sister @Caroling's mentioning of all the horrible things in the Middle East. Then the OP tagged all the people like ChristianLady who go around praising her country as more ethical and humane than Iran/ME. 

This entire topic is about comparing and having a Mine is better than yours competition. So let's compare. Let me draw more lines. You as a human rights activist can continue to be only offended by things which have nothing to do with Iran but ofcourse you can give Iran the benefit of the doubt, call it fake news/conspiracy. Whatever

Anyway let's continue:

https://iranhumanrights.org/2021/02/dying-of-hopelessness-suicides-on-the-rise-in-iran/

https://iranhumanrights.org/2021/02/non-persian-mother-languages-treated-as-national-security-threat-in-iran/

https://iranhumanrights.org/2019/10/reign-of-evin-prisons-new-director-begins-with-denial-of-political-prisoners-rights/

https://iranhumanrights.org/2020/11/two-students-sentenced-to-prison-for-peaceful-protest-during-november-2019/

• Advanced Member
33 minutes ago, notme said:

@El Cid i believe you have mistaken me for someone else. 

Alright. No worries. I think I've touched light on the true purpose of this thread and also answered in response to that true purpose. 

So I'll just leave it as the good outweighs the bad and fix problems in countries you glorify first which are more troubling/alarming before going around trying to raise awareness for another person's country which is lightyears ahead of you. -> I'm saying this to the OP and others in that category. Not you sister notme.

I use to think Pakistan was amazing myself but Pakistan like any other middle eastern country is only good if you're upper middle class or middle class. I've learnt a lot about the true nature of the world and seen the suffering of people first hand to change my opinion since then.

Wasalam.

Edited by El Cid
  • Veteran Member

Condolences on the martyrdom of Sayyida Zaynab, the mountain of patience.  May we apply the lessons of Karbala in our daily lives.  Seeking truth, justice, and standing against tyrannical rulers and their crimes against humanity. Labbayki ya Zaynab!

How poor people survive in the USA

DW Documentary

Homelessness, hunger and shame: poverty is rampant in the richest country in the world. Over 40 million people in the United States live below the poverty line, twice as many as it was fifty years ago. It can happen very quickly.

Many people in the United States fall through the social safety net. In the structurally weak mining region of the Appalachians, it has become almost normal for people to go shopping with food stamps. And those who lose their home often have no choice but to live in a car. There are so many homeless people in Los Angeles that relief organizations have started to build small wooden huts to provide them with a roof over their heads. The number of homeless children has also risen dramatically, reaching 1.5 million, three times more than during the Great Depression the 1930s. A documentary about the fate of the poor in the United States today.