Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Khums Transparency - Sayyed Modarresi

Rate this topic

Guest Shan-e-Haydari

Assalamu alaikum,

I noticed some people discussing this clip on Twitter where Sayed Modarresi lambasts people who request transparency in maraaji spending of Khums. I'll be honest I was quite taken aback by the Sayed's very strong words against anyone who wants to know how their money is spent. I always assumed transparency is a given and a donor's right and isn't at all casting aspersions against the scholar's character as Sayed Modarresi claims. 

https://youtu.be/ZpekRONmClQ (From 27:33 to 30:30)

As far as I know in the UK at least, charities are registered and have to provide audits of their accounts, accounting for every penny. This transparency is also an Islamic right I assumed. So if Shia charities based in the UK which accept khums are bound by non-Muslim audit regulations, do we not also have a right to know how the money is spent?

Does anyone else agree with Sayed Modarresi's take on this issue? Should we really feel bad for wanting to know how our khums is spent exactly? 

• Advanced Member
54 minutes ago, Guest Shan-e-Haydari said:

Assalamu alaikum,

I noticed some people discussing this clip on Twitter where Sayed Modarresi lambasts people who request transparency in maraaji spending of Khums. I'll be honest I was quite taken aback by the Sayed's very strong words against anyone who wants to know how their money is spent. I always assumed transparency is a given and a donor's right and isn't at all casting aspersions against the scholar's character as Sayed Modarresi claims. 

https://youtu.be/ZpekRONmClQ (From 27:33 to 30:30)

As far as I know in the UK at least, charities are registered and have to provide audits of their accounts, accounting for every penny. This transparency is also an Islamic right I assumed. So if Shia charities based in the UK which accept khums are bound by non-Muslim audit regulations, do we not also have a right to know how the money is spent?

Does anyone else agree with Sayed Modarresi's take on this issue? Should we really feel bad for wanting to know how our khums is spent exactly? 

Though his speech has indeed added more belief to my suspicions that the Khums money isn't being used for humanatarian business but war/militia spending. Why else would he compare it to the secret budgets of government organizations?

As for calling people who want accountability pathetic. Obviously the respected speaker hasn't read the end of time hadith:

https://www.al-islam.org/day-of-judgement-sayyid-akhtar-rizvi/part-3-some-signs-day-resurrection

Edited by El Cid
  • Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Warilla said:

Khums is not charity. Any state doesn't not give you full breakdown of your tax. 

Eg 10% goes to military but you don't know exactly how.

Maybe some minimal transparency is required.

There is no "state'. There is no Masoom Imam(عليه السلام) available atm.

These people are acting as self appointed middle men for Holy Figures(عليه السلام).

They are their own  funding  political wars using money of other people.

When I work, I'll only pay my Khums to proper charities who work for the betterment of society and ones Shi'a Islam would have no problem with example Children's hospitals.

Edited by El Cid
  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, El Cid said:

There is no "state'. There is no Masoom Imam(عليه السلام) available atm.

These people are acting as self appointed middle men for Holy Figures(عليه السلام).

They are their own  funding  political wars using money of other people.

When I work, I'll only pay my Khums to proper charities who work for the betterment of society and ones Shi'a Islam would have no problem with example Children's hospitals.

But if you do taqleed and beleive in guardianship of the jurist as a 12er then as a 12er khums who do you give khums to.

Also khums isn't Zakat or sadqa. It needs to be given to a Syed and state I believe.

Zaidi khums doesn't work the same way.

Edited by Warilla
  • Advanced Member
22 minutes ago, Warilla said:

But if you do taqleed and beleive in guardianship of the jurist as a 12er then as a 12er khums who do you give khums to.

Also khums isn't Zakat or sadqa. It needs to be given to a Syed and state I believe.

Zaidi khums doesn't work the same way.

The way Khums works in twelverism is that it can be given to either needy Syeds or needy poor people who are Shi'a or any cause that the Imam(عليه السلام) would support but you have to give it to a Marja. The Marja is the middle-man. The latter is what opens the realm of interpretation where any Marja can allocate the Khums towards any cause of their choosing as long as they believe it's what Imam(عليه السلام) would approve of.

Now, why did I choose children's hospitals? In Shi'a Islam, children under the age of 13 and 9 are Masoom. Sinless. It doesn't matter if they are Muslim or not as their book of deeds has not started. I don't think Imam(عليه السلام) would disapprove of donating to charities which support kids suffering from dangerous diseases like cancet, leukimia, etc. Hence my reasoning and why I'll donate directly to the hospitals without any middle men.

Wasalam.

Edited by El Cid