Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Non-muslim girlfriend

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

My cousin recently told the family that he’s got this non-muslim girlfriend and they both wanna move in together. He called me and told me about how serious he and how he wants practice islam properly starting from the very beginning, and his girlfriend wants to convert too, not sure if its just so the family accepts her or what I don’t know

I still want to help them but I’m not the most knowledgeable person about islam myself, I was just wondering, what books do you recommend for a person exploring shia islam, that can get them really interested too

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Yaa ALI madad said:

My cousin recently told the family that he’s got this non-muslim girlfriend and they both wanna move in together. He called me and told me about how serious he and how he wants practice islam properly starting from the very beginning, and his girlfriend wants to convert too, not sure if its just so the family accepts her or what I don’t know

I still want to help them but I’m not the most knowledgeable person about islam myself, I was just wondering, what books do you recommend for a person exploring shia islam, that can get them really interested too

Islam is a religion of action.

Starting with Quran and daily prayers is always the best.

There are many other books like:

Nahj ul Balagha

https://www.al-islam.org/explore/shia-beliefs-explained

Here, you can get some good books. 

• Advanced Member

Ask him to consider engaging her, which in many cultures involves getting married Islamically. Then later when they're ready they "officialize" the marriage with a wedding and by marrying according to the state. I think that form of engagement would be good. Or if that's too much, then mutah as the person above said.

As for material, lectures are good and easy to consume. Ammar Nakshawani is very appealing and I would recommend him.

21 minutes ago, guest 2025 said:

Ask him to consider engaging her, which in many cultures involves getting married Islamically. Then later when they're ready they "officialize" the marriage with a wedding and by marrying according to the state. I think that form of engagement would be good. Or if that's too much, then mutah as the person above said.

Sorry that’s not what an engagement means.

“Engagement” = someone whom you’ve promised to marry. There’s a ring, and you’re not halal for each other yet. If you’ve married Islamically, then you’re technically married.

A big wedding after that is a vow-renewal. 

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Caroling said:

Sorry that’s not what an engagement means.

“Engagement” = someone whom you’ve promised to marry. There’s a ring, and you’re not halal for each other yet. If you’ve married Islamically, then you’re technically married.

A big wedding after that is a vow-renewal. 

But from what I've seen with the people I know (family friends), I hear them say "Yeah they're engaged, but Islamically they're married." Of course literally they are married, but they don't move in or have a wedding or have kids.

4 hours ago, guest 2025 said:

But from what I've seen with the people I know (family friends), I hear them say "Yeah they're engaged, but Islamically they're married." Of course literally they are married, but they don't move in or have a wedding or have kids.

They aren’t using the term properly then. It’s incorrect. I’ve heard some people use the word like that and it’s wrong.