Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Describing God's love

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I wasn't sure whether to put this in this heading or under Christian Dialogue.  In the end I chose here as I thought more people would comment and I want to find out what Muslim people think.

As a Follower of Jesus I read the Bible and listen to what God is saying to me each day.  Today I read this verse

Exodus 15:13  In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.

It really impacted me.  It comes in the story of God rescuing his people from Egypt.  He redeems a people who are often complaining and leads them to his perfect desination.  He doesn't wait for them to be good enough or to continue to obey him.  Dispite all the things they say and all their rebelion in the wildrness God still leads them.

Why is this?  It comes, as this verse says, because of Gods unfailing love.  The word translated unfailing love is a Hebrew word khesed.  This word is used over 250 times in the Old Testament. It is one of the main ways God's nature and character are expressed. There is no single English word that can adequatly explain the meaning of khesed. So, it is translated with words like “mercy,” “grace,” “love,” “goodness,” “kindness,” “loving-kindness,” “steadfast love,” “unfailing love,” and several more.

The basic idea is the passionate loyalty of a superior to an inferior, especially when it is undeserved.

I want to know if there is an equivilent expression of God's love in the Qur'an.

Where in the Qur'an or Islamic teaching is it suggested that God is passionatly loyal to his people dispite their rebelion and shameful acts?

Thanks for your help.

• Advanced Member

Hm... 

Allah is called Ar-Raheem, the Merciful. His Mercy is open to all. "Remember Me, and I'll remember you." 

That's all I got at the moment. 

Edited by BleedKnee
  • Advanced Member
On 1/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

The basic idea is the passionate loyalty of a superior to an inferior, especially when it is undeserved.

I want to know if there is an equivilent expression of God's love in the Qur'an.

Where in the Qur'an or Islamic teaching is it suggested that God is passionatly loyal to his people dispite their rebelion and shameful acts?

Hi

O ye who believe! Whoso of you becometh a renegade from his religion, (know that in his stead) Allah will bring a people whom He loveth and who love Him, humble toward believers, stern toward disbelievers, striving in the way of Allah, and fearing not the blame of any blamer. Such is the grace of Allah which He giveth unto whom He will. Allah is All-Embracing, All-Knowing. (54)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/5:54

And because of their breaking their covenant, We have cursed them and made hard their hearts. They change words from their context and forget a part of that whereof they were admonished. Thou wilt not cease to discover treachery from all save a few of them. But bear with them and pardon them. Lo! Allah loveth the kindly. (13)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/5:13

Listeners for the sake of falsehood! Greedy for illicit gain! If then they have recourse unto thee (Muhammad) judge between them or disclaim jurisdiction. If thou disclaimest jurisdiction, then they cannot harm thee at all. But if thou judgest, judge between them with equity. Lo! Allah loveth the equitable. (42)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/5:42

• Advanced Member
On 22/01/2021 at 1:56 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Some stanzas from Dua Joshan al Kabeer:

11) O my means in my hardship, O my source of hope in my misfortune, O my entertainer in my isolation, O my companion in my alienation, O my patron in my ease, O my aide at my agony, O my guide in my perplexity, O my fortune in my neediness, O my shelter in my helplessness, O my helper at my fears. Glory be to You! There is no god but You! [I beseech you for] relief, relief, relief. Protect us from the Fire, O Lord!

(12) O Knower of the unseen, O Forgiver of sins, O Concealer of defects, O Expeller of agonies, O Transformer of the hearts O Healer of the hearts, O Illuminator of the hearts, O Intimate of the hearts, O Dispeller of anxiety, O Liberator from grief. Glory be to You! There is no god but You! [I beseech you for] relief, relief, relief. Protect us from the Fire, O Lord!

(13) O Allah, verily I beseech You in Your name: O Majestic, O Virtuous, O Protector, O Patron, O Guide, O Guarantor, O Bestower of ascendancy, O Bestower of blessings, O Excuser, O Acceptor of repentance. Glory be to You! There is no god but You! [I beseech you for] relief, relief, relief. Protect us from the Fire, O Lord!

(14) O Guide of the bewildered, O Rescuer of those who appeal, O Helper of the seekers of help, O Aide of the seekers of aid, O Shelter of the fearful, O Succorer of the faithful, O Merciful to the indigent, O Refuge for the disobedient, O Forgiver of the sinners, O Responder to the supplicants. Glory be to You! There is no god but You! [I beseech you for] relief, relief, relief. Protect us from the Fire, O Lord!

59) O Friend of him who has no friend, O Physician of him who has no physician, O Responder to him who has no responder, O Affectionate to him whom none holds in affection, O Comrade of him who has no comrade, O Helper of him who has no helper, O Guide of him who has no guide, O Associate of the forlorn, O Merciful to him on whom no one has mercy, O Companion of him who has no companion! Glory be to You! There is no god but You! [I beseech you for] relief, relief, relief. Protect us from the Fire, O Lord!

(60) Sufficer of those who seek sufficiency, O Guide of who seek guidance, O Protector of those who seek protection, O Granter of concession to those who seek concession, O Healer of those who seek cure, O Just to those who seek justice, O Bestower of wealth to those who seek wealth, O Fulfiller of promises to those who seek fulfillment, O Granter of strength to those who seek strength, O Aide of those who seek aid! Glory be to You! There is no god but You! [I beseech you for] relief, relief, relief. Protect us from the Fire, O Lord!

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Zainuu said:

Some stanzas from Dua Joshan al Kabeer:

What an amazing prayer acknowledging God as the only one who can help us and meet our needs and satisfy our longings. 

May we all know God this way.  As our friend, our healer, the one who lights our hearts and our way, the one who gives us strength for each struggle.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:37 PM, BleedKnee said:

His Mercy is open to all. "Remember Me, and I'll remember you." 

Yes remembering God is so important - but what happens if we don't remember him - does he still reach out to those who don't rememebr him as the prayer above suggests?

12 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Allah will bring a people whom He loveth

Who does Allah love?

12 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Lo! Allah loveth the kindly.

What about those who are unkind and those who are not equatable?

khesed has the idea of undeserved love which is consistant dispite the one he loves turning away from that love.

I need khesed love because so often I don't deserve God's love.  I need his mercy because in myself I am unworthy.  I thank God everyday that despite the shame from failing in my relationship with God, his mercy is new every morning.  He slowly, in his loving kindness, is transforming me - by the power of his Holy Spirit living in me - to reflect more and more of his character to to be one who shows his khesed love in my own life.

O God may we all experience your khesed love so we can show it to others even those who don't love us.

• Veteran Member
On 1/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

God sends reminders to all humans 24 hrs until the moment of our death.  Most humans are not grateful.

Shakir 7:54] Surely your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six periods of time, and He is firm in power; He throws the veil of night over the day, which it pursues incessantly; and (He created) the sun and the moon and the stars, made subservient by His command; surely His is the creation and the command; blessed is Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
[Shakir 7:55] Call on your Lord humbly and secretly; surely He does not love those who exceed the limits.
[Shakir 7:56] And do not make mischief in the earth after its reformation, and call on Him fearing and hoping; surely the mercy of Allah is nigh to those who do good (to others).

God knows best! 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

does he still reach out to those who don't rememebr him as the prayer above suggests?

As Jesus says “many people are called and only a few are chosen”. God called you and you turned away from His calling thus you were not chosen for His guidance and comfort. 

• Veteran Member
On 1/21/2021 at 3:26 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Today I read this verse

Exodus 15:13  In your unfailing xxxxMERCY you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.

Corrected by Douay-Rheims 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

khesed has the idea of undeserved love which is consistant dispite the one he loves turning away from that love.

Ur trinitarian interpretation if you read the Torah that is not the case. The Jews would agree with me even the zionists. 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Who does Allah love?

Hi , In some interpretations , It interpreted as Imam Ali(عليه السلام) also It reffered to Salman the persian & his people .

7 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

And as for those who believe and do good works, He will pay them their wages in full. Allah loveth not wrong-doers. (57)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/3:57

If ye have received a blow, the (disbelieving) people have received a blow the like thereof. These are (only) the vicissitudes which We cause to follow one another for mankind, to the end that Allah may know those who believe and may choose witnesses from among you; and Allah loveth not wrong-doers. (140)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/3:140

Turn not thy cheek in scorn toward folk, nor walk with pertness in the land. Lo! Allah loveth not each braggart boaster. (18)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/31:18

That ye grieve not for the sake of that which hath escaped you, nor yet exult because of that which hath been given. Allah loveth not all prideful boasters, (23) 

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/57:23

http://www.anvarweb.net/fa/2014-01-20-10-38-3/2014-01-20-10-47-44/3525-خداوند-چه-کسانی-را-دوست-دارد-و-چه-کسانی-را-دوست-ندارد

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 1/24/2021 at 11:48 PM, layman said:

He does not love those who exceed the limits.

On 1/25/2021 at 6:04 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

and Allah loveth not wrong-doers.

So God  doesn't love people who do wrong.

That means, if I'm honest, there is no love for me.  I have done and do wrong and am ashamed of it.

What about you - are you in this group of people who God doesn't love?

Is there any hope in Islam?

The verse I quoted in the OP from the Torah

On 1/21/2021 at 8:26 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Exodus 15:13  In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.

God loves those who do wrong and redeems them.  He gives them a new start and then leads them with his love which never fails and is completly undeserved.

This is the love I cling to as a person who needs redeeming and leading.

Edited by Dave follower of The Way
extra comment
  • Advanced Member
On 1/25/2021 at 2:54 AM, THREE1THREE said:

Ur trinitarian interpretation if you read the Torah that is not the case. The Jews would agree with me even the zionists.

Hi there

This kind of love is all over the Torah it has nothing to do with whether I'm trinitarian or unitarian.  It is how God has revealed himself.

My friend the question I asked is whether this love is expressed in the Qur'an.

I would also be interested to know how you experience God's love in your daily life.

May God watch over you with his unfailing Khesed love and draw you to himself.

• Veteran Member
On 2/3/2021 at 11:57 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

So God  doesn't love people who do wrong.

That means, if I'm honest, there is no love for me.  I have done and do wrong and am ashamed of it.

What about you - are you in this group of people who God doesn't love?

Is there any hope in Islam?

Hi Dave,

God is the Most Merciful.  We have to work hard to earn God's Love.  Even Satans are given chances to return on the right path.  We call it Repentance.  A repented person is highly loved by God.  Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is called "The Most Loved by God". There is a verse that he was asked by God to repent and God also asked him to ask repentance for believing men and women.  Believing men and women need the Prophet to ask repentance from God.

So we don't lost hope...We have the Mercy of God and we have Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) to regain our Love through Repentance

[Shakir 47:19] So know that there is no god but Allah, and, ask protection for your fault and for the believing men and the believing women; and Allah knows the place of your returning and the place of your abiding.
[Pickthal 47:19] So know (O Muhammad) that there is no Allah save Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy sin and for believing men and believing women. Allah knoweth (both) your place of turmoil and your place of rest.
[Yusufali 47:19] Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and for the men and women who believe: for Allah knows how ye move about and how ye dwell in your homes.

Islam provides the most hope to human beings to be loved by God.  Show struggles to achieve Love and love is not a free fall object from God.

I am in the group that I am a sinners but I have hope in God's Mercy. Therefore, I must show struggle to perform what God wants out of me to gain His Love.  I need my Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) as guide to achieve my goal.  Without my Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), I will be totally loss because Satan will overcome me.

As for the Christians, they need Jesus  to lead them to God.  We, as Muslims believe Jesus is also bringing Mercy from God to his followers.

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

God loves those who do wrong and redeems them.  He gives them a new start and then leads them with his love which never fails and is completly undeserved.

This is the love I cling to as a person who needs redeeming and leading.

Hi we also completly agree with this 

Allah is the Protecting Guardian of those who believe. He bringeth them out of darkness into light. As for those who disbelieve, their patrons are false deities. They bring them out of light into darkness. Such are rightful owners of the Fire. They will abide therein. (257) 

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/2:257

but in other hand warns people  about breaking  their oath & forgetting  their redemption 

And be not like unto her who unravelleth the thread, after she hath made it strong, to thin filaments

Lo! Allah enjoineth justice and kindness, and giving to kinsfolk, and forbiddeth lewdness and abomination and wickedness. He exhorteth you in order that ye may take heed. (90) Fulfil the covenant of Allah when ye have covenanted, and break not your oaths after the asseveration of them, and after ye have made Allah surety over you. Lo! Allah knoweth what ye do. (91) And be not like unto her who unravelleth the thread, after she hath made it strong, to thin filaments, making your oaths a deceit between you because of a nation being more numerous than (another) nation. Allah only trieth you thereby, and He verily will explain to you on the Day of Resurrection that wherein ye differed. (92) 

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/16:92

• Advanced Member
On 2/4/2021 at 4:28 AM, layman said:

God is the Most Merciful.  We have to work hard to earn God's Love.  Even Satans are given chances to return on the right path.  We call it Repentance.  A repented person is highly loved by God. 

Thanks I find your comments helpful.  I agree that repentance is vital in our relationship with God.  Repentence is about recognising our need of God and aknowledging our own weakness and shame.  I would see repentence as very different from "working hard to earn God's love".

The defination I gave in the OP of God's Khesed love is

On 1/21/2021 at 8:26 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

It is a love which is undeserved it is not a love which is earnt.

A love that is earnt can never be  a certain thing because we can never be sure we have done enough to earn it.  You say

On 2/4/2021 at 4:28 AM, layman said:

I am in the group that I am a sinners but I have hope in God's Mercy. Therefore, I must show struggle to perform what God wants out of me to gain His Love. 

A love that is undesrved, on the other hand, can be experienced now, today, because it is not depenant on anything except the lover pouring it out.

There are a number of responses to Khesed love.  We can say "yes, thank you, I receive it" and go on to live a life of thankfulness and gratitude shown by seeking, with God's help, to please him.

Another response is to say "I want to continue to try and work to earn this love"  and in saying this put up a barrier to receiving it.

Thank you for mentioning Jesus the Messiah - yes it is life, death and resurrection which opened the way for God's Khesed love to flow, not just to his followers, but to be available to all people.

• Advanced Member
On 2/4/2021 at 7:40 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

we also completly agree with this

Thanks for joining in this conversation!

I feel there is something funamentally different between what I wrote  "God loves those who do wrong and redeems them." and what you quoted from Qur'an 2:257 "Allah is the Protecting Guardian of those who believe."

Who is the object of God's love and protection?  In the first statment it is 'those who do wrong'  in the second statement it is 'those who believe'

Okay maybe I'm being too detailed, and I recognise that those who do wrong need to believe in order to come to God for love and protection. 

The stories of God's people throughout the Old Testament shows people who again and again broke their side of the covenant with God, yet he continued to love, lead and guide them promising them restoration and hope.

• Advanced Member
On 2/5/2021 at 9:45 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

t is a love which is undeserved it is not a love which is earnt.

Ezekiel 18

On 2/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, Dave follower of The Way said:

Who is the object of God's love and protection?  In the first statment it is 'those who do wrong'  in the second statement it is 'those who believe'

If God loves and protects the wrong doers then that means God agrees with their wrong doing acts.... use your mate it’s basic stuff, love is conditional in most cases Ezekiel 18 except for hosea 6:6 which abrogates Leviticus 4. 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

yet he continued to love, lead and guide them promising them restoration and hope.

Because He promised their forefathers but they eventually lost their demerit points this shows their is an extant. 

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

I feel there is something funamentally different between what I wrote  "God loves those who do wrong and redeems them." and what you quoted from Qur'an 2:257 "Allah is the Protecting Guardian of those who believe."

Okay maybe I'm being too detailed, and I recognise that those who do wrong need to believe in order to come to God for love and protection. 

The stories of God's people throughout the Old Testament shows people who again and again broke their side of the covenant with God, yet he continued to love, lead and guide them promising them restoration and hope.

It is a love which is undeserved it is not a love which is earnt.

A love that is earnt can never be  a certain thing because we can never be sure we have done enough to earn it.  You say

Hi because  firstly in our viewpoint  everyone  borns as a beliver free from any sin or original  sin but in process some people  due to multiple  reason are denying their potential  beliefe which in Quran mentioned as 'those who do wrong' so love of Allah/God is with  us which we are in his protection  but some people  choose to ran away  from his unconditional love but they can return  to realm of  his mercy by repentance .

secondlsecondly  we don't  believe  to this story which made by Jews to show  themselves  as chooen people  which  Christians inherited  it in Old Old Testament based on story of sacrifice  of Jesus . 

humiliation and wretchedness were stamped upon them and they were visited with wrath from Allah. That was because they disbelieved in Allah's revelations and slew the prophets wrongfully. That was for their disobedience and transgression. (61)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/2:60

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/2:61

Those of the Children of Israel who went astray were cursed by the tongue of David, and of Jesus, son of Mary. That was because they rebelled and used to transgress. (78)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/5:78

O ye who believe! Be not as those who slandered Moses, but Allah proved his innocence of that which they alleged, and he was well esteemed in Allah's sight. (69) 

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/33:69

those who received the scripture of old but the term was prolonged for them and so their hearts were hardened, and many of them are evil-livers. (16) 

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/57:16

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

How shall Allah guide a people who disbelieved after their belief and (after) they bore witness that the messenger is true and after clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) had come unto them. And Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk. (86) As for such, their guerdon is that on them rests the curse of Allah and of angels and of men combined. (87) They will abide therein. Their doom will not be lightened, neither will they be reprieved; (88) Save those who afterward repent and do right. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (89) Lo! those who disbelieve after their (profession of) belief, and afterward grow violent in disbelief: their repentance will not be accepted. And such are those who are astray.

Lo! those who disbelieve, and die in disbelief, the (whole) earth full of gold would not be accepted from such an one if it were offered as a ransom (for his soul). Theirs will be a painful doom and they will have no helpers. (91)

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.pickthall/3:86

• Veteran Member

@Ashvazdanghe

l will dispense with "the why" Dave constantly wants to pretend the God of Noah, Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). is like the-big-mommy-and-daddy-in-the-sky-and-somehow-someway-everything-will-be-all-okay-on-His (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).-Last Day (same as the Buddhists' Amida garbage), but he  continuously pushes this cwap.

The tri-literal root that can be translated as "to love", ha ba ba, also means "to like", often means "prefer" and the noun "grain." 

The tri-literal root that can be translated as "to love", wa dal dal, also means "to wish", "affection" and is the root for the heathen Wadd (Ayat 7:23)

When Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). began to  guide lbrahim -(عليه السلام)., lbrahim -(عليه السلام). as revealed in the Ayat 29:25  he -(عليه السلام). said pagans take idols out of love for the temporal World (wa dal dal)  and for each other.  To the exclusion of Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

The "Just Ends" of Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). is "to gather" everything on His -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Last Day where it is revealed He -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has "prescribed" Mercy for Himself -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).(Ayat 6:12) --not "love."

So, he and the others who do this are only trying to push their pagan peccants as a 'good.'

• Veteran Member

@hasanhh

Responsive dimension of God’s love is hubb

see 3:31 5:54 3:76 3:146 2:195 5:42 3:159 etc.

For example, if one does good, keeps themselves pure, repents, place their trust in Him, acts justly, is steadfast, is God-conscious (taqwa) and follows His Messengers and Prophets, then one allows himself to enjoy the hubb of Allah. 

On the other hand, rahmah has a responsive as well as an unconditional dimension of God’s loving-mercy / mercy / compassion (depends on translation). 
See 1:3 and 7:156 (“my rahmah encompasses all things”)

Edited by 313_Waiter
  • Moderators

O! My God, who is the one to have tasted the sweetness of your love and then looked for a replacement in place of you?

Who can claim to have become familiar with your nearness, then wanted removal from you?

O! He who gives to a servant ,whenever asks from him

And he who brings his servant near to him, when he approaches Him,

My God, is there anyone who has come before you, seeking your hospitability, and yet has not been received kindly?

And is there anyone who has dismounted at your door hoping to receive your magnanimity, and to whom you have not shown it?

Is it good that I am rejected at your door and turned away in disappointment, while I know of no other master so kind but you?

How can I forget you, while you always remember me?

How should I be diverted from you while you are constantly watching over me?

O He who is the shelter of everyone who flees (from trouble)

the goal of everyone who is seeking!

O the Best of the hopes!O the Most Generous one to pray to,O He, who never rejects the one who asks,  O Oe whose door is always open to those who ask from him

and whose veil is lifted for those who have hope in Him,

I ask you through your generosity to show kindness toward me

Grant me that which will bring joy to my eyes,

And through hope in you, with that which will give serenity to my soul,

through certainty with that which will make easy for me the afflictions of this world and lift from me the veils of blindness!

بِرَحْمتِكَ يا أَرْحَمَ الرَّاحِمِينَ.By your mercy, O Most Merciful of the merciful

(Whispered prayers of Imam Sajjad as)

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

For example,

Do not agree with this passion ploy. The sense of "passion" is the dominant theme in the English word "love."

From your post, Ayat 1:3 tri-literal ra ha min, occurs once as a noun for compassion/empathy; once as a noun for affection, several times in Quran for womb or relative, and for the remainder mercy. Nothing Aphrodite-like in these.

Ayat 7:156, mercy encompasses "everything" which include Ayats 78:38, 19:81-82 and compare with 28:88 and ask "where is the "love" in this kind of destruction?"

Every Ayat you cited above has ha ba ba as the tri-literal root. Reexamine Ayat 2:196. The tri-literal root ha ba ba is also here, yet in the same Ayat is the tri-literal root shin dal dal (severe) which occurs about 50 other times in Quran. So isn't there a contradiction you've made in adding a passion-forming addition to al-Rahma, Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). when "severe" and "fear" are repeatedly revealed in Quran?

• Advanced Member
On 2/5/2021 at 10:43 PM, THREE1THREE said:

Ezekiel 18

30 ‘Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offences; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offences you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!

This chapter is about God drawing people's attention to the consiquences of true repentence.  Repentence is only useful if there is a God who loves and saves those who sin and offers them a chance to repent.

We do not grow up pleaseing God.  The discription of a righteious person earlier in the chapter is that of a person who has reformed their ways.

These last verses the conclusion of the chapter are clear.  In order for a person to turn from sin and live, they need a new heart and a new spirit.  However good and rightious a person is they can not change their own heart and spirit.  The only one who can give us a new heart and a new spirit is God himself.

God's love is vast.  Can you not hear it in these verses?  The cry of God's heart - "Why will you die?"  "Come to me and live!"

God does not want us to be punished, he does not will to punish some and not others.  The offer is open to all.

• Advanced Member
On 2/6/2021 at 8:45 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

some people  choose to ran away  from his unconditional love but they can return  to realm of  his mercy by repentance .

Yes this is true - I would suggest all of us have chosen, at some point in our life, to turn our backs on God (run away as you put it).  Let's put 'original sin' to oneside for the time. and ask what state am I in at the moment?  Am I among those who still have my back turned towards God's love or have I turned round and come under it's protection?

How do we turn our back on God's love?  I would suggest it is by trusting in our own wisdom and efforts.  Turning our backs on God is saying I don't need God's help or his offer of new life, I can get by on my own.  Now some people in saying that will end up choosing all sorts of evil things, others who say it will still live a good life they may even do 'religious things' but they are trusting in them rather than God.

So I need to ask myself each day - "what am I trusting in - God's love or my own efforts?"