Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

7:175~177

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

7:175. Give them the news of the man to whom We have given Our signs, yet he detached himself from the knowledge and left it Satan made him a follower he became of the astray ones.  
176. Had We willed, We would have elevated him with these signs... But 
he settled on earth and followed his baseless impulses! So, his example is like that of a dog: if you chase him he pants, if you leave him he pants... This is what the people who deny Our signs look like! Relate this to them, perhaps they will contemplate upon it.
177. How wretched is the state of people who deny Our signs and do wrong to their selves!

Who is this man ?

• Advanced Member

Hi - I'm not a Muslim nor a Muslim theologian.

When I look at this verse the idea of the man being Pharaoh is a possibility as the previous verses are about Moses.

But as I read the following verses I wondered if 'him' is a general term for people who hear God's message and reject it.

Verses 178 and 179 talk about two groups of people: those who God guides and those who he misguides.  There are people who God has created for hell and they could be the 'him' of the previous verses.  Verse 176 says "and if we had willed we could have elevated him"  It is clear that God didn't want to elevated him so he was among those created for hell.  That is why satan was able to deviate him.

I'm left asking what kind of God would create people for hell?  What kind of God would send people away from himself so they become losers?

I believe God calls out to all - "Come to me!"

He has opened a path to himself which is available to all.  He says "All who come to me I will never turn away"

A prophet from old time passed on God's words (Ezekiel 18)

30 I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offences; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offences you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

I'm left asking what kind of God would create people for hell?  What kind of God would send people away from himself so they become losers?

Man yahdi Allahu fahuwa almuhtadeewaman yudlil faola-ika humu alkhasiroon Verse 78 

“whoever Allah guides then he is rightly guided and whoever He leaves astray then they are the losers” 

Walaqad thara/na lijahannamakatheeran mina aljinni wal-insi lahum quloobun layafqahoona biha walahum aAAyunun la yubsiroonabiha walahum athanun la yasmaAAoona bihaola-ika kal-anAAami bal hum adalluola-ika humu alghafiloon. Verse 79

”And surely We have created hell for the lot among the jins and the humans who have hearts with which they do not understand and eyes which they do not see with and ears which they don’t not hear with. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless.” 

that’s the proper translation you are looking at really bad translation , as we can see it is a warning to future generations on what is their outcome if they are amongst losers.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

A prophet from old time passed on God's words (Ezekiel 18)

It Refutes the unjust idea of God having to commit suicide to forgive His fellow servants. We can see the God of the “OT” is just and truly forgiving compared to the God of the “NT” who simply forgives with no sense of justice which include reasonable and logical conditions like the God of the “OT”. 

• Advanced Member
On 1/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, THREE1THREE said:

that’s the proper translation you are looking at really bad translation

Looking at https://www.quranwow.com

There are 18 English translations and only one of them - Arberry - has the translation that sugests the object of the word create is hell rather than people and jinn

There are 10 translations in another language I know and none of them have the translation you suggest is acurate.

I would therefore suggest that This verse clearly suggest that God creates people for hell.  I find that very uncomfortable and inconsotant with my understanding of a God who loves his creation.

• Advanced Member
On 1/23/2021 at 3:43 PM, THREE1THREE said:

We can see the God of the “OT” is just and truly forgiving compared to the God of the “NT” who simply forgives with no sense of justice

My friend, the God of the OT and the God of the NT is one and the same God.  So any understanding of forgivneness in the Bible will take into account both the things we learn about God in the OT and the things we learn about God in the NT.

True forgivness only comes when the shame of our rebelious acts are covered.  It is like a naked person walking out into the street.  Their shame is not dealt with simply by people not looking or saying it's okay.  Shame is only removed when someone comes and gives the person clothes that cover their nakedness.

God's solution to our shame, both the shame of OT people and NT people (us), is to cover it by the rightious acts and sacrifical (not suicidal) blood of Jesus the Messiah.

How does the God of Islam deal with our shame?

• Advanced Member
On 1/20/2021 at 11:08 PM, Shahrukh K said:

Who is this man ?

Salam

Balaam or Balʿam Bāʿūrā (Arabic: بَلْعَم باعورا) was a scholar in the period of the Prophet Moses (a) who based on some hadiths, knew God's Greatest Name and whose prayers were answered by God, but he was seduced and misguided by Satan. Balaam is mentioned in Islamic narrations as well as the Torah. Some exegetes of the Qur'an take the verse 175 of Qur'an 7 to be concerned with Balaam. There are various stories about Balaam that are considered to be Isra'iliyyat by some exegetes.

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Bal'am_Ba'ura

• Advanced Member

Deviation

Balaam finally deviated from the right path. Some exegetes take the Qur'anic verse "but he cast them off. Thereupon Satan pursued him, and he became one of the perverse."[16] to be about Balaam.[17] There are two views about the prophet whom Balaam stood against when he deviated form the right path:

• Some people hold that Balaam stood against Moses (a) and helped the Pharaoh.[18]
  • Some historians, such as al-Mas'udi, hold that Balaam helped the king of his country who was at wars with the Prophet Joshua (a) and the Israelites.[19]

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Bal'am_Ba'ura