Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Should We Stand Up To Greet People?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaykum everyone!

From what I have seen throughout my life, when a guest or someone arrives, everyone stands up to greet the person.

However, I have read a hadith: Abu-Omamah: “Once the Prophet (P) arrived. We stood up in front of him. He said: “ Don’t stand up like nonArabs (in glory of the person).”

What do you guys think? Is this true? If it is, should we not stand up to greet people, regardless of their position? This hadith was mentioned by a reputable Sheikh, so I doubt it is fabricated?

Wassalam.

• Advanced Member

Ws. 

Wanted to know the answer myself. I have heard this hadith before and have wondered how to put this into practice in every day's life. I see people get up for me, and at times I have to get up for other people as a sign of respect. Should we never do this? 

• Veteran Member

:salam:

Weird part of the story is when Prophet (sawas) says 'like non-Arabs', as if the Arabs were a reference to observe. 

Also it may only depend of the `urf, and if this was not the tradition back then Prophet may simply have said this out of modesty, especially in assemblies where he only received such honours. But in our culture, when there is a majlis, then as soon as anyone who comes into the room all the people stand up, so I guess equality is respected. 

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, FollowerofIslam said:

However, I have read a hadith: Abu-Omamah: “Once the Prophet (P) arrived. We stood up in front of him. He said: “ Don’t stand up like nonArabs (in glory of the person).”

It is reported in Sahih Muslim: When the Prophet (peace be upon him) performed prayer while he was sitting during his illness and his Sahabah were standing, he (peace be upon him) ordered them to sit down and said to them: 'Do not glorify me as the non-Arabs do with each other'. He forbade them to stand in Salah while he was sitting, so they might not be acting like the non-Arabs who used to stand up for the great people among them while they were sitting. 

You can carry on reading this on these websites

https://www.al-feqh.com/en/welcoming-a-coming-person-by-standing-up-and-kissing-them

http://knowingallah.com/

• Advanced Member

I think that we must make a clear distinction between standing up for one to express honour and love and standing up for those in authority!

Acceptability of standing up:

Standing up for parents, grandparents, uncles & aunts, elderly and children for respect and honouring is from Sunnah of the Blessed Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

We can see this from the following Blessed sunnah of the Blessed Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Sayyida A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) reports: “I have never encountered anyone that resembled the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) more than Fatima (Allah be pleased with her) in manner, likeness and speech. When she (Fatima) came to visit him (the Messenger of Allah) he stood up (to welcome her), took her by the hand, kissed her and made her sit in his place.
And when he (Allah bless him & give him peace) used to visit her, she would stand up, take him by the hand, kiss him, and make him sit where she was sitting
.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, no. 5175 & al-Bukhari, Adab al-Mufrad)

Unacceptability of standing up:

This is for standing up for those in authority/rulers etc. as it increases their arrogance and self-pride.

Abu Mijlaz (Allah be pleased with him) reports that, “(once) Mu’awiya ibn Abi Sufyan entered upon Ibn Zubair and Ibn Amir (Allah be pleased with them both). Ibn Amir stood up whilst Ibn Zubair remained seated. Mu’awiya said to Ibn Amir: “Remain seated, for I heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: “Whosoever likes people to stand up for him should take his abode in the Fire (of Hell).” (Sunan Abu Dawud, No. 5186, Sunan Tirmidhi, No. 5067 & Musnad Ahmad)

Personally, Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade his Companions (may Allah be pleased with them all) to stand up for him as he had humility, modesty and hated arrogance and worldly pride.  

Sayyiduna Abu Umamah (Allah be pleased with him) reports: “The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) (once) came out on us and he was leaning upon a stick (asa). We stood up for him and he said: “Do not stand up as the non-Arabs do, they adulate one another.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, No. 5187 & Musnad Ahmad)

Sayyiduna Anas ibn Malik (Allah be pleased with him) reports: “No one was dearer to them (the Companions, Allah be pleased with them all) than the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) yet when they saw him they did not stand up for him, for they knew of his dislike for it.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, Sunan Tirmidhi & Musnad Ahmad)

Further reading:

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/8465