Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Political affiliation and selective religiosity/morality

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

When a religious person decides to support a certain political group or leader, they often cite certain religious values to justify their decision. E.g. a supporter of the Republicans will speak about being anti-abortion, and a supporter of Corbyn would have given importance to his very anti-war stance.

But when differing groups offer to serve only a portion of your moral values, how do you decide which group to choose? In my opinion feasibility is a factor that is often overlooked. A particular group may been seen by the public to support certain values, but do they really want to serve those values or is it just PR? And if they really do, how feasible is it for them to implement them? E.g. how likely is it for a Republican government to turn the tide on abortion and some LGBT issues? How likely would it have been for a Corbyn government to condemn Israel and stop bombing innocent people? Or for them to bring in anti-capitalist laws? And how long would the effects of these changes have lasted once that government was removed? 

Perhaps even unfeasible actions should be considered if the rhetoric and effort is in the right place? E.g. an anti-gun president may not achieve much to reform gun laws, but the rhetoric could educate aspects of society for the future. A Corbyn government that openly condemned Israel would have been excellent.

Once feasibility has been taken into account, how do you decide which moral values have priority? E.g. is the akhlaq of a leader important? Or does Islam give little importance to that? 

Reza Aslan talks about how some voters are selective with their religiosity:

Guest GuestTester

I guess u can choose to promote the one if lesser evil or just avoid it all together 

one thing I liked about trump is that he was saying enough of these endless wars in Middle East he wanted to stop them end them and return all troops to America from Middle East 

that’s a very good thing 

also he was criticising American support of financial type to middle eastern countries he never said Israel but he said 3 trillion dollars is being given to countries in Middle East and he wanted to end that too which I’m sure includes Israel and Saudi and that’s another good policy he wanted to carry out despite that he lost the second term 

those two policy alone would have been good if he carried them out , good for Iran good for Palestine good for Yemen 

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Guest GuestTester said:

also he was criticising American support of financial type to middle eastern countries he never said Israel but he said 3 trillion dollars is being given to countries in Middle East and he wanted to end that too which I’m sure includes Israel

I could mention a number of points in opposition but I will just mention this one. Trump's government actually increased military aid to Israel:

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s defense minister has thanked the United States for including a “record-breaking” $705 million to aid the country’s missile defense in the spending bill passed last week.

Avigdor Lieberman said Monday that the aid will be used for the development of Israel’s multi-layered system, which is designed to shoot down short-range rockets from Gaza and Lebanon and counter long-range threats like that posed by Iran.

The U.S. provides $3.1 billion in military aid to Israel each year under a 10-year security arrangement. The $705 million is a separate allocation, and is up from the $600 million provided for missile defense last year.

U.S. President Donald Trump signed a $1.3 trillion spending bill on Friday that provides billions in new funding for the military and national security.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/israel-thanks-us-for-record-breaking-missile-defense-aid/

You might as well read this article too:

100 times President Trump supported Israel

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/100-times-president-trump-supported-israel/

Other points include an increase in drone strikes etc...

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Muhammed Ali said:

I could mention a number of points in opposition but I will just mention this one. Trump's government actually increased military aid to Israel:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/israel-thanks-us-for-record-breaking-missile-defense-aid/

You might as well read this article too:

100 times President Trump supported Israel

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/100-times-president-trump-supported-israel/

Other points include an increase in drone strikes etc...

But Joe has been pushing very hard for war and cruelty in places like Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Iraq. He had a good long head start you see.

Edit: Btw I repeat, I have no need to support one. Just commenting.

Edited by The Green Knight