Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does blood or pus invalidate Wudu ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hello I have spots on my face and whenever I do Wudu pus and blood comes out and mixes with the water that I am using to do Wudu and goes on my clothes and body does that invalidate my Wudu and Can I Pray Salah even if its a tiny amount ?

• Advanced Member

Pus is pure. However, since blood is impure and it came out at the time of wudhu, your wudhu is invalid. If it is too difficult to use your hand to wash your face in wudhu, then submerge your face or, for example, put it under a tap or shower, and wash/submerge starting from the top of the forehead. However, make sure your face is free from blood first.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, razkjgty5 said:

And the blood mixes with the water and the blood water goes on my clothes only a tiny amount

On 20/01/2021 at 1:35 AM, razkjgty5 said:

Hello I have spots on my face and whenever I do Wudu pus and blood comes out and mixes with the water that I am using to do Wudu and goes on my clothes and body does that invalidate my Wudu and Can I Pray Salah even if its a tiny amount ?

On 23/01/2021 at 11:09 PM, razkjgty5 said:

Whenever I put water on my face my spots start to hurt and bleed a bit can I still pray and is my Wudu Valid or can I wait until my spots go smaller ?

From the laws of Sayyid al Sistani:

Ruling 834. In three cases – the details of which will follow afterwards – if the body or clothing of someone performing prayers is impure, his prayers are valid:

1. if due to a wound, sore, or boil on his body the clothing or his body has become impure with blood;
2. if the amount of blood that has made his body or clothing impure is less than a dirham. Based on obligatory precaution, a dirham is equal to the size of the upper joint of the thumb;
3. if he is compelled to perform prayers with an impure body or clothing.

In one case, if the clothing of someone performing prayers is impure, his prayers are valid, and that is when his small items of clothing – such as his socks and cap – are impure.

The laws (aḥkām) of these four situations will be explained in detail in the following rulings.

Ruling 835. If blood from a wound, sore, or boil is on the body or clothing of someone performing prayers, he can perform prayers with that blood as long as the wound, sore, or boil has not healed. The same applies to pus that comes out with blood, or any medicine that is applied to the wound and which becomes impure.

Ruling 836. If blood from a cut or wound that heals quickly and is easy to wash is on the body or clothing of someone performing prayers, and it is the size of a dirham or more, his prayers are invalid.

• Advanced Member
On 1/24/2021 at 4:39 AM, razkjgty5 said:

Whenever I put water on my face my spots start to hurt and bleed a bit can I still pray and is my Wudu Valid or can I wait until my spots go smaller ?

So every time you pour water on to your face, whether that be from submerging it in a pool or just putting it directly under a shower, you start to bleed?

• Advanced Member

As long as the water is not harmful, then if you wash those spots before they start to bleed and you only use water that has not mixed with blood, your wudu will be valid. This might mean not using your hand at all but rather just immersing the face in water or placing the face directly under a tap/shower forehead-first. However, if you can not, follow this ruling:

Ruling 278. If there is a cut or a wound on one’s face or arms, and blood from it does not stop, and water is not harmful to it, he must – having first washed that area in the correct order of wuḍūʾ – immerse the cut or wound in kurr [like from a tap or shower] or flowing water and then put pressure on it so that the blood stops; then, under the water, he must draw his finger along the cut or wound from top to bottom so that water flows over it and then wash the lower parts; if he does this, his wuḍūʾ is valid.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2155/

If water is harmful or not harmful:

Ruling 323. If on one of the parts of the body on which wuḍūʾ is performed there is a wound, boil, or broken bone, in the event that it is uncovered and water is not harmful for the person, he must perform wuḍūʾ in the normal manner.

Ruling 324. If a wound, boil, or broken bone is on one’s face or arms, and it is uncovered, and pouring water over it is harmful, then the area around the wound or boil must be washed from top to bottom in the manner that was explained with regard to wuḍūʾ. And if drawing a wet hand over it is not harmful, it is better that one draws a wet hand over it, places a pure cloth over it, and then draws a wet hand over the cloth as well. As for the case of a broken bone, it is necessary to perform tayammum [instead of jabīrah wuḍūʾ].

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2159/

If water is harmful, you could cover the spots in some way so that water is not poured on them.

Ruling 327. If a wound, boil, or broken bone that is covered is on the face or arms, in the event that it is harmful to uncover and pour water over it, one must wash as much of the area around it as possible. And based on obligatory precaution, one must also wipe over the jabīrah.

If this is going to cause excessive difficulty or hardship, then as @Zainuu has said, perform tayammum but if the blood is on the forehead, remove it through any means (i.e. wiping it off with a tissue) so that it is not an obstruction. The forehead does not need to be pure for tayammum. If performing wudu (with following the previous rulings) will not cause excessive difficulty, then performing tayammum is insufficient.

4. Hardship (ḥaraj) and excessive difficulty (mashaqqah)

Ruling 662. If procuring water or using it causes someone hardship or excessive difficulty that could not normally be endured, he can perform tayammum. However, if he endures it and performs wuḍūʾ or ghusl, his wuḍūʾ or ghusl is valid.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2191/

• Advanced Member

Is my wudu valid if my spots are bleeding on my face or body or both, at the time wudu but is less than a dirham or not, but covered with a plaster ?

Or if I am not bleeding but have blood on my face or body or both thats from my spots , but is less than a dirham or not, but covered with a plaster ?

And if my wudu isnt valid will my jabirah wudu be valid:

if I am bleeding at the time of jabirah wudu from my spots or not, even if its less than a dirham or more but covered with a plaster ?

if I am not bleeding but have blood on my face or body or both thats from my spots or not, even if its less than a dirham or not, but covered with a plaster ?

Is my prayer valid if my jabirah wudu is valid:

but if my spots are bleeding on my face or body at the time of salah but covered with a plaster even if its less than a dirham or not ?

but I have blood from my spots but not bleeding,

on my face or body at the time of salah even if its less than a dirham or not ?

And if non of my wudus are valid can I do tayammum if I am bleeding from my spots, that is less than a dirham or not, or if I am not bleeding but have blood on face or body or both thats from my spots ?

And if my tayammum is valid will my prayer be valid:

if my spots are bleeding on my face or body at the time of salah but covered with a plaster even if its less than a dirham or not ? 

if I am not bleeding but have blood from my spots either on my face or body even if its less than a dirham but covered with a plaster ?

• Advanced Member

@razkjgty5 Please read my previous post again.

13 hours ago, razkjgty5 said:

Is my wudu valid if my spots are bleeding on my face or body or both, at the time wudu but is less than a dirham or not, but covered with a plaster ?

Or if I am not bleeding but have blood on my face or body or both thats from my spots , but is less than a dirham or not, but covered with a plaster ?

14 hours ago, razkjgty5 said:

if I am bleeding at the time of jabirah wudu from my spots or not, even if its less than a dirham or more but covered with a plaster ?

if I am not bleeding but have blood on my face or body or both thats from my spots or not, even if its less than a dirham or not, but covered with a plaster ?

In regards of wudu, it does not make a difference whether the amount of blood is less or more than a dirham. It does not matter if blood is on the parts of the body that are not included in wudu. This means that if the face, forearms, hands, part of the head and part of the feet are pure, you can perform wudu regardless of whether there is blood on your back, stomach, etc. or not. If water is not harmful, then you can not cover the spots with a plaster and you must perform wudu in the usual manner following this:

As long as the water is not harmful, then if you wash those spots before they start to bleed and you only use water that has not mixed with blood, your wudu will be valid. This might mean not using your hand at all but rather just immersing the face in water or placing the face directly under a tap/shower forehead-first. However, if you can not, follow this ruling:

Ruling 278. If there is a cut or a wound on one’s face or arms, and blood from it does not stop, and water is not harmful to it, he must – having first washed that area in the correct order of wuḍūʾ – immerse the cut or wound in kurr [like from a tap or shower] or flowing water and then put pressure on it so that the blood stops; then, under the water, he must draw his finger along the cut or wound from top to bottom so that water flows over it and then wash the lower parts; if he does this, his wuḍūʾ is valid.

If water is harmful, then you can cover the spots only to the necessary extent. I believe a plaster would cover more than what is actually necessary. If the plaster covers more than what is actually necessary then you must remove the part of the plaster that is overcovering the spots. The part of the plaster that is not overcovering the spots must be wiped over:

Ruling 327. If a wound, boil, or broken bone that is covered is on the face or arms, in the event that it is harmful to uncover and pour water over it, one must wash as much of the area around it as possible. And based on obligatory precaution, one must also wipe over the jabīrah.

but if my spots are bleeding on my face or body at the time of salah but covered with a plaster even if its less than a dirham or not ?

but I have blood from my spots but not bleeding,

on my face or body at the time of salah even if its less than a dirham or not ?

If your jabirah wudu is valid, then if your spots are bleeding and they do not heal nor stop bleeding throughout the duration of your prayers then your prayer is valid even if the amount of blood is equal to a dirham or more. However, if the spots heal or stop bleeding during the prayer then as long as the amount of blood is less than a dirham then you can still pray and it will be valid. You do not need to investigate whether or not the amount of blood is less than a dirham or not (you can assume it is less than a dirham as long as the amount of blood was less than a dirham originally). However, if you do not investigate and find out after the prayer that the amount of blood is equal to a dirham or more then, according to As-Sayyid As-Sistani, upon obligatory precaution, the prayer must be repeated.

If you are not bleeding but you have blood on your body then as long as it is less than a dirham you can pray and it is not necessary to investigate whether or not the amount of blood is less than a dirham or not (you can assume it is less than a dirham as long as the amount of blood was less than a dirham originally). However, if you do not investigate and find out after the prayer that the amount of blood is equal to a dirham or more then, according to As-Sayyid As-Sistani, upon obligatory precaution, the prayer must be repeated.

If you are not bleeding but you have blood on your body and the amount of blood is equal to a dirham or more then you can not pray.

Keep in mind that if moisture (such as water or sweat) reaches the blood and spreads (to further areas), then even if the impurity of the moisture and the blood combined are equal to less than a dirham, performing prayers is not permitted. If the moisture does not spread (to further areas) then as long as the amount of blood is less than a dirham you can pray.

For more details: https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2211/

And if non of my wudus are valid can I do tayammum if I am bleeding from my spots, that is less than a dirham or not, or if I am not bleeding but have blood on face or body or both thats from my spots ?

if my spots are bleeding on my face or body at the time of salah but covered with a plaster even if its less than a dirham or not ? 

if I am not bleeding but have blood from my spots either on my face or body even if its less than a dirham but covered with a plaster ?

I already said that tayammum would only be valid in this case if performing wudu would cause such excessive difficulty that is not normally endured:

If this is going to cause excessive difficulty or hardship then perform tayammum but if the blood is on the forehead, remove it through any means (i.e. wiping it off with a tissue) so that it is not an obstruction. The forehead does not need to be pure for tayammum. If performing wudu (with following the previous rulings) will not cause excessive difficulty, then performing tayammum is insufficient.

4. Hardship (ḥaraj) and excessive difficulty (mashaqqah)

Ruling 662. If procuring water or using it causes someone hardship or excessive difficulty that could not normally be endured, he can perform tayammum. However, if he endures it and performs wuḍūʾ or ghusl, his wuḍūʾ or ghusl is valid.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2191/

If the tayammum is valid, performing prayers with blood less than a dirham is valid. If the blood is equal to a dirham or more, prayers performed are invalid.

• Advanced Member

If the tayammum is valid, performing prayers with blood less than a dirham is valid. If the blood is equal to a dirham or more, prayers performed are invalid.

What if I have done tayammum but my spots have not healed and do not stop bleeding during prayers,

is my prayer valid ?

What if I have done tayammum but my spots have stop bleeding during prayers and after I pray I find out that the blood is more than a dirham 

is my prayer valid ?

And what if I do any wudu and my spots start to bleed before I pray and continue to bleed during prayers, and have not healed, and is less than a dirham or not,

is my prayer valid ?

And what if I am bleeding during any normal wudu, jabirah or tayammum

are my wudu valid ?

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, razkjgty5 said:

If the tayammum is valid, performing prayers with blood less than a dirham is valid. If the blood is equal to a dirham or more, prayers performed are invalid.

What if I have done tayammum but my spots have not healed and do not stop bleeding during prayers,

is my prayer valid ?

What if I have done tayammum but my spots have stop bleeding during prayers and after I pray I find out that the blood is more than a dirham 

is my prayer valid ?

The rulings pertaining to the amount of blood, bleeding, etc. are the same in all circumstances, whether you have performed tayammum or wudu. So if the spots are bleeding and they do not heal nor stop bleeding then even if the amount of blood is less or more than a dirham you can pray.

For the second question:

If while praying you are certain they have stopped bleeding and you are certain that it is more than a dirham then the prayer is invalid unless the time for prayer is so short that you cannot go and purify the wounds and perform the prayer again without it becoming qadha, then the prayer is valid.

If while praying you are certain they have stopped bleeding and you doubt whether the amount of blood is more than a dirham or not then if you are able to investigate, upon obligatory precaution (according to As-Sayyid As-Sistani), you must investigate without turning away from the qibla or breaking the form of the prayer. If you follow As-Sayyid As-Sistani, then you can actually refer to the fatwa of another marja' rather than the obligatory precaution of As-Sayyid As-Sistani. Since another marja' has a fatwa saying that it is not necessary to investigate, you do not need to investigate and the prayer will be valid even if you find out later that the amount of blood was more than a dirham.

If while praying you are certain that the amount of blood is less than a dirham but after the prayer you find out that it was actually more than a dirham then the prayer is valid.

If while praying you are certain that the spots have not healed and have not stopped bleeding but after the prayer you find out that they actually did heal and stop bleeding during the prayer then even if the amount of blood is more than a dirham, the prayer is valid.

8 hours ago, razkjgty5 said:

And what if I do any wudu and my spots start to bleed before I pray and continue to bleed during prayers, and have not healed, and is less than a dirham or not,

is my prayer valid ?

And what if I am bleeding during any normal wudu, jabirah or tayammum

are my wudu valid ?

In every situation, if you pray with a wound that has not healed nor stopped bleeding then even if the amount of blood is more than a dirham the prayer is valid.

If you are bleeding on the parts of wudu (face, part of the head, forearms, hands and part of the feet) then as I have already mentioned:

Ruling 278. If there is a cut or a wound on one’s face or arms, and blood from it does not stop, and water is not harmful to it, he must – having first washed that area in the correct order of wuḍūʾ – immerse the cut or wound in kurr [like from a tap or shower] or flowing water and then put pressure on it so that the blood stops; then, under the water, he must draw his finger along the cut or wound from top to bottom so that water flows over it and then wash the lower parts; if he does this, his wuḍūʾ is valid.

If using water is harmful then if the wounds are not covered you can wash around the wound:

Ruling 324. If a wound, boil, or broken bone is on one’s face or arms, and it is uncovered, and pouring water over it is harmful, then the area around the wound or boil must be washed from top to bottom in the manner that was explained with regard to wuḍūʾ. And if drawing a wet hand over it is not harmful, it is better that one draws a wet hand over it, places a pure cloth over it, and then draws a wet hand over the cloth as well. As for the case of a broken bone, it is necessary to perform tayammum [instead of jabīrah wuḍūʾ].

You can also cover the wound to the necessary extent, wash around the wound and wipe over the thing covering the wound.

If water mixes with blood you can not use that water to perform wudu however if you are uncertain whether the water mixed with blood or not then you can consider the water to be unmixed.

If you are bleeding on parts of the body other than the parts of wudu (i.e. stomach, back, legs, neck, back of the head, etc.) then you can perform wudu without needing to purify those areas.

With regards to tayammum:

if the blood is on the forehead, remove it through any means (i.e. wiping it off with a tissue) so that it is not an obstruction. The forehead does not need to be pure for tayammum.

If blood is on the back or inside of the hands then the blood must also be removed through any means.

If blood is on parts of the body other than the parts of tayammum (i.e. the bottom of the face, neck, legs, feet, back, etc.) then you can still perform tayammum without needing to purify those areas.

• Advanced Member

If the area of blood on one’s body or clothing is less than the size of a dirham, and some moisture reaches it and spreads it further, prayers performed with it are invalid even if the area of the blood and the moisture is not equal to the size of a dirham. However, if moisture only reaches the blood without spreading it, there is no problem in performing prayers with it.

What if I have a hot shower and I wash all my spots and wipe them and cover them with a plaster then they start bleeding and sweat or water reaches the blood,

thats not from the wound, how am I going to know if the moisture has spread, do I have to check ? And spreads only in the areas covered by the plaster

And its less than a dirham or not or the same size:

Can I pray ?

What if I have a hot shower and I wash all my spots and wipe them and cover them with a plaster then they start bleeding and sweat or water reaches the blood,

thats not from the wound, how am I going to know if the moisture has made it spread, do I have to check ? And spreads only in the areas covered by the plaster

Can I pray ?

If a person’s body or clothing has not become bloody but on account of moisture reaching the blood it becomes impure, he cannot perform prayers with it even if the area that has become impure is less than the size of a dirham. 

What if it spreads inside the plaster even if its less than a dirham or not or equal ?

• Advanced Member

thats not from the wound, how am I going to know if the moisture has spread, do I have to check ? And spreads only in the areas covered by the plaster

Can I pray ?

thats not from the wound, how am I going to know if the moisture has made it spread, do I have to check ? And spreads only in the areas covered by the plaster

Can I pray ?

According to Al-Sayyed As-Sistani, upon obligatory precaution, it is necessary to investigate whether the moisture has spread or not. However, like I previously mentioned, if you follow Al-Sayyid As-Sistani you do not need to follow this precaution but you can instead follow the fatwa of another marja'. Since another marja' says it is not necessary to investigate, then you do not need to investigate.

If you are certain that the moisture has spread even the slightest amount (conventionally speaking) even if inside the area covered by the plaster you can not pray unless throughout the entire prayer time (i.e. from the beginning of the time you can pray salat ul-fajr to the end) it is impossible to purify the areas the impure moisture has reached, then, in these cases, you can pray. However, if the moisture spreads so slightly that the moisture can not be commonly said by a normal person to have spread, the moisture is not considered to be spread (i.e. the moisture spreading is not noticeable nor can it be noticed).

It makes no difference whether the blood is from or not from a wound.

If a person’s body or clothing has not become bloody but on account of moisture reaching the blood it becomes impure, he cannot perform prayers with it even if the area that has become impure is less than the size of a dirham. 

What if it spreads inside the plaster even if its less than a dirham or not or equal ?

It makes no difference whether it spreads inside or outside the plaster and if it does spread you can not pray unless if you are compelled. However, if the plaster is not considered to be worn and the impure moisture only somehow manages to spread just to the plaster and to nothing else (extremely unlikely), I am assuming (based off of my knowledge) you can pray.

• Advanced Member

What if I can't cover my spots with a plaster or anything because its harmful to the spots and all the blood and moisture is going to spread everywhere all down my body and I can't touch my spots because if I touch them they start to sting 

Can I pray ?

• Advanced Member

And I can't keep washing my face and body because moisture and blood is going to keep running down my face and body and I can't stop it because I can't touch my spots or cover them because they sting and start bleeding more.

• Advanced Member

As far as I'm concerned, if purifying the areas the impure moisture has reached is going to cause excessive difficulty, then purifying those areas is not necessary as anything which causes excessive difficulty in Islam should be avoided:

Allah does not want to make any difficulty for you but He wants to purify you and complete His favour upon you so that you may be grateful. [5:6] 

Areas which you can purify without having to go through excessive difficulty (like the areas where there are no spots) must be washed.

You should apply something on to the spots like cream to heal them.