Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Death

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

How do you remember death? We are often told to think about it (death), but it's not easy for me to "remember" death. The most I can reach are images, like myself in the grave, and prior to that the departure of the soul, the angels, the standing before Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)... But what is it to actually "remember death or the grave"? Is it as literal as how was described above or am I missing on something? I love the munajat of Imam Ali asws, which helps me remember death, but I always feel like something is missing. How is your experience in this direction? 

May Allah bless you all. 

• Advanced Member

I would say remembering death is keeping our priorities right. The one thing we're all guaranteed in this life is death. We're here temporarily and only our good deeds and actions in the way of Allah Ta'ala will be of benefit to us in our graves and the hereafter. 

The struggles, battles, victories and losses in this world are trials where our faith and character are constantly tested. If we lose track and succumb to this temporary world, then we've forgotten death and our guaranteed destination. 

Remembering death would be the proactive action and perseverance in doing good, spreading Khair and asking for the mercy of the Most Merciful.

May Allah Ta'ala help us all prepare for our guaranteed destination with the best possible outcome.      

• Advanced Member

Remembering death doesn't mean to just think about all the things that'll happen in the grave. 

The two words "Remember death" is actually a spiritual protocol made up by Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) conveyed to us by Holy Figures(Peace be upon them). It means before you are about to Sin, whether it's a big sin or a small sin. Remember that you will die eventually and this sin will come back to haunt you in your grave or your here-after. So before committing that sin, remember I have to die and answer for this sin so is it worth it or not?

As Hazrat Yusuf(عليه السلام) once said "These eyes of mine that you admire will be the first things to rot in my grave." He(عليه السلام) is telling Zulaikah when we die, what good will this body of mine would be to anyone and how would any lust benefit you in the grave?

So that's what it means.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

As someone who's mostly suicidal, I often think of death, but not as a scary thing to be afraid of, but as a means of escape from this terrible world we live in. Remembering or thinking of death helps one understand how this life and its sufferings seem a bit less difficult.