Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Eid ul Adha

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

How did we start celebrating it? Is there a hadith that says we need to sacrifice goats in honour of hazrath ibrahim (عليه السلام) and hazrath ismail (عليه السلام)

Edited by Mahdavist
Guest advice

Salam. As far as I know sacrifice of goats/sheep is done in Hajj as compulsory but as for the day of Eid-Al-Adha, it is obligatory.

"On Eid al-Adha Muslims may sacrifice a sheep to commemorate the Prophet (S).

Ibrahim's ((عليه السلام).) willingness to sacrifice his son Ismail ((عليه السلام).) in obedience to Allah. This sacrifice is one of the rites of the pilgrimage. People attend Eid Salah on this celebratory day.

‘O my son! I have seen in a dream that I offer you in sacrifice, now what is your view?' The son said, O my father! Do as you are commanded, you will find me to be one of the steadfast if Allah so wills.'(Qur’an 37:102)"

• Mahdavist changed the title to Eid ul Adha
Guest Advice
On 1/17/2021 at 7:43 AM, Guest advice said:

Salam. As far as I know sacrifice of goats/sheep is done in Hajj as compulsory but as for the day of Eid-Al-Adha, it is obligatory.

"On Eid al-Adha Muslims may sacrifice a sheep to commemorate the Prophet (S).

Ibrahim's ((عليه السلام).) willingness to sacrifice his son Ismail ((عليه السلام).) in obedience to Allah. This sacrifice is one of the rites of the pilgrimage. People attend Eid Salah on this celebratory day.

‘O my son! I have seen in a dream that I offer you in sacrifice, now what is your view?' The son said, O my father! Do as you are commanded, you will find me to be one of the steadfast if Allah so wills.'(Qur’an 37:102)"

Correction: @smma

"As far as I know sacrifice of goats/sheep is done in Hajj as compulsory but as for the day of Eid-Al-Adha, it is obligatory."

I meant to write sacrifice is compulsory for Hajj but optional for Eid Al Adha. I don't know why I wrote obligatory instead of optional. Error.

It's just one of those things that became a tradition and festival as the optional sacrifice brings a person Thawab and blessings as it's done to honor the Prophets[Peace be upon them]

Wasalam

• Advanced Member
23 hours ago, smma said:

Where does it da it is a virtue to do this? Thanks for your answer

I'm not sure, really. I have tried to look up answers for you from various shia sites but I've failed to find any hadith which explicitly tell you all the benefits of sacrificing animals. I guess it is just a general rule that it's to commemorate the event of Prophet Ibrahim(عليه السلام). 

I don't really celebrate any holiday and I only find out about them by the messages people send me. After I find out about them, I just offer prayer and then go back to bed. But sacrificing animals on Eid-Al-Adha is not obligatory and if you don't want to, then don't. The sacrifice on Mina is the only one that is obligatory on Muslims.

• Advanced Member

Alsalam alaikum

This thread is quite shocking to me. I grew up thinking and believing that sacrificing animals on Eid ul Adha has so much sawaab (reward). 

In my belief its obligatory to sacrifice if you have the means to do so. If you can afford it. And its important and rewardful because when we give sacrifice we divide the meat in 3 parts. 1 for ourselves. 1 for relatives and 1 for the needy people. So that people who don't get to eat meat throughout the year can get it on this occasion. Had God not made it obligatory, i don't think people would do it. 

What i have been told is that if you earn and have more then you spend, or can afford to do animal sacrifice then its obligatory on you. If you don't want to do it, just give the equal amount to some needy household and they can do it. 

These are all things to benefit us. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has made so many ways for us to be rewarded with goodness. I don't see anything bad or wrong in it. 

I have also heard that if you witness that sacrificing moment, the first drop of blood that comes out of the animal, if you witness it... Your sins get erased as well. But these are things i grew up believing. 

I think one should do everything and anything that leads to goodness. 

In the end we are all paradise seeker. Alhamdullillah. 

And i think being greedy of paradise is the best kind of greed that keeps you away from sins and makes you a momin. 

Guest Advice
3 hours ago, Ani said:

What i have been told is that if you earn and have more then you spend, or can afford to do animal sacrifice then its obligatory on you. If you don't want to do it, just give the equal amount to some needy household and they can do it.  

I have also heard that if you witness that sacrificing moment, the first drop of blood that comes out of the animal, if you witness it... Your sins get erased as well. But these are things i grew up believing. 

These are all made up beliefs 

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Guest Advice said:

These are all made up beliefs 

Made up or not, if directly or indirectly we can bring some good to people in need. I don't think there is anything wrong in it.