Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do you agree that sometimes we need a break from the family?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

What I am saying sometimes we need a temporary break from our family.

I don't mean hanging out with friends or to do "fun or enjoyable stuff".

I mean to be alone for a while, to do own cooking, own washing, to meditate, not worry about family matters, to pray and read books for however long you want. To do things without being questions or looked out, to look after our mental health and physical well being (I am not talking about haram stuff as some may assume).

Or Maybe its just me.

I love my family all and as I said temporary break like a few weeks, not months.

Every body in different situations and different circumstances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Meedy said:

What I am saying sometimes we need a temporary break from our family.

I don't mean hanging out with friends or to do "fun or enjoyable stuff".

I mean to be alone for a while, to do own cooking, own washing, to meditate, not worry about family matters, to pray and read books for however long you want. To do things without being questions or looked out, to look after our mental health and physical well being (I am not talking about haram stuff as some may assume).

Or Maybe its just me.

I love my family all and as I said temporary break like a few weeks, not months.

Every body in different situations and different circumstances.

Salaam,

Basically, going away from your regular affairs.

It's nice. I think a person must must stay away from family for a short time. It helps us learn how to stay on ourselves. 

But, please try to balance your mental state at that time. If your mind isn't ready it's better to come back.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Because I think parents of middle eastern background may not necessarily understand mental health and their behaviours as well.

E.g. If try to lawn the garden, my father won't be or will take over and say you don't know how to do with little abuse or If I try cooking, he'll take over and say you don't know how to do it. It hurts my ego, my self confidence, Its like I don't know how to do anything.

So you don't want to be rude to your parents as well. you do as they say.

So  a break would be beneficial in gaining some confidence and not being degraded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Meedy said:

So  a break would be beneficial in gaining some confidence and not being degraded.

Absolutely agree

Sometimes you need a break or better to say your own space without any interference to explore your self and gain more experience and confidence in life that you need in your practical life:)

And that's Okay!

I think seeking solitude in general can actually be quite healthy. In fact, there are many physical and psychological benefits of spending time alone. You can actually concentrate more and think more deeply and this will make you more productive and creative. A little self reflection is always something good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
20 hours ago, Meedy said:

E.g. If try to lawn the garden, my father won't be or will take over and say you don't know how to do with little abuse or If I try cooking, he'll take over and say you don't know how to do it. It hurts my ego, my self confidence, Its like I don't know how to do anything.

So you don't want to be rude to your parents as well. you do as they say.

This context changes my answer entirely! My relationship with my parents improved dramatically when I moved out from their home! As long as I lived with them, they saw me as an ignorant child and treated me as one. Once I was out on my own, my interactions with them became much more balanced, with improved respect from both sides. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Basic Members

Yes, I agree, brother/sister. A break is good. I wish I could have one as well every now and then. But most of all I wish I could get rid of what makes me want to take the break from them. On the other side, if Allah azwj ever makes me a parent one day (in sha Allah), I don't know how I would take it (my child wanting a break from my husband and I). I could be heavy!
Though your situation with your parents is obviously a different one, as per your description. 
Balance in our relationships with our parents is always sensitive. We never wanna hurt them even if they have/hurt us. 

May Allah strengthen you and give you patience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
On 1/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, Meedy said:

If try to lawn the garden, my father won't be or will take over and say you don't know how to do with little abuse or If I try cooking, he'll take over and say you don't know how to do it.

Be Careful because the time will come that some parent who acts like this will seriously damage/ undercut you.  l have seen this before.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, Meedy said:

Its like I don't know how to do anything.

Yes, you do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...