Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How to get rid of a foul mouth

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I curse excessively and want to stop. Anyone have any ideas. I've tried to just stop cold turkey but it isn't working. I'm not cursing in anger but in passive conversation a lot. what should I do.

• Advanced Member
18 minutes ago, musa shakr said:

curse excessively and want to stop. Anyone have any ideas. I've tried to just stop cold turkey but it isn't working. I'm not cursing in anger but in passive conversation a lot. what should I do.

Salaam,

Spend all your time with people in front of whom you cannot do it.

Like maybe your elders or any women etc. Basically, someone about whom you fear of giving a bad impression or getting scolded. 

It is not necessary that you've to stay permanently with them. Just stay for 1-2 months. In this time,

try to build a habit of being watchful towards your tongue.

Commit to yourself, you won't do it ever at any cost.

Try to build patience so that if people provoke you, you are in your full control.

Pray to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) a lot for this concern.

All this put together step-by-step, inshallah you'll get rid of this. 

Speaking from my personal experience: Abusing/Cursing comes out when you lack self-control.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you and protect you and help you.

• Veteran Member

Salaam, perhaps try and pray 2 rakat salah or something similar everytime you curse. I know it might be too difficult but hopefully it will encourage you to stop.

• Moderators

People easily become desensitized to such things so you need to try and revive your sensitivity to it. 

This doesn't only mean not using such language, but also not hearing it. Avoid people who swear, and if you watch or listen to anything that has swearing then turn it off immediately. 

• Veteran Member

A foul-mouth is a habit.

So develop another habit.

Think of another expressive phrase and rehearse it.

60 years ago, l said, "bullfeathers" instead of "bullsh**" when reacting to someones b.s.

Edited by hasanhh
S for D
  • Advanced Member
23 hours ago, musa shakr said:

I curse excessively and want to stop. Anyone have any ideas. I've tried to just stop cold turkey but it isn't working. I'm not cursing in anger but in passive conversation a lot. what should I do.

Talk slower and focus on the words coming from your mouth.

• Advanced Member

Alhamdulillah, it's very good that you want to stop it snd make it better. May Allah help you. You can do that gradually through attention and care. I also say stuff thst I should not say especially in snger. I do dua for you, so do dua for me as well to control my tongue.