In the Name of God بسم الله

homosexuality - school assignment

noaar04

• Basic Members

For school I have to make a video about homosexuality in a group.  All the people in my group wanted this topic. In that video I have to play as a gay person and the video is shown in our school theater. Now the problem is that I am not a supporter of homosexuality and I go to school in the Netherlands where these things are 'normal'.  I can't say I don't want this topic because everyone else wants it and there's even a lesbian in our group, so I don't want to offend anyone. Can anyone advise me what to do?

• Advanced Member

Have you talked to your teachers about it. You should not be obliged to participate in anything that goes against your conviction.

On the other hand now that you have been assigned to that group you could try to influence the outcome of your group assigntment with the Islamic view. But of cause that will undoubtedly "offend" someone. However there is a difference between causing offense to someone ad being disrespectful. There is no need to be disrespectful against the lesbian in your group, but being honest of what the Quran says about homosexual acts is your right of expression.  Homosexual are people too and many of the might struggle with their inclination. For them this might be a real ordeal that they have to go through and need some sympathy just like any other type of sinner that Allah has given a test, but that doesn't mean that the sin it self should be accepted as something it is not. People have the right to sin, but it is still a sin from a religious stand point. In the end they will face Gods judgement, but that doesn't mean that we should be judgemental about them. If they don't know, tell them that homosexual acts is a sin. If they are struggling with it give them sympathy, knowing that the end goal of their struggle should be God. If they want you to advocate for a sinful lifestyle, then decline. Otherwise treat them like you would any other fallible human being.

9 hours ago, noaar04 said:

For school I have to make a video about homosexuality in a group.  All the people in my group wanted this topic. In that video I have to play as a gay person and the video is shown in our school theater. Now the problem is that I am not a supporter of homosexuality and I go to school in the Netherlands where these things are 'normal'.  I can't say I don't want this topic because everyone else wants it and there's even a lesbian in our group, so I don't want to offend anyone. Can anyone advise me what to do?

Use it as an opportunity to argue against it 

Edited by theEndIsNear

• Basic Members

Salam,

I really appreciate all of your help. I have expressed my views on homosexuality to the people in my group. Now they have said that I can play an acting role wherein I'm a bully of the gay person. It is still the same video, only I have a different role. Is this also haram and wrong? All i have to do is make a five second long video in which I pretend to scream (to make clear that I am bullying). I only want to please Allah and hopefully I can do it this way. 

• Basic Members
5 hours ago, Revert1963 said:

Have you talked to your teachers about it. You should not be obliged to participate in anything that goes against your conviction.

On the other hand now that you have been assigned to that group you could try to influence the outcome of your group assigntment with the Islamic view. But of cause that will undoubtedly "offend" someone. However there is a difference between causing offense to someone ad being disrespectful. There is no need to be disrespectful against the lesbian in your group, but being honest of what the Quran says about homosexual acts is your right of expression.  Homosexual are people too and many of the might struggle with their inclination. For them this might be a real ordeal that they have to go through and need some sympathy just like any other type of sinner that Allah has given a test, but that doesn't mean that the sin it self should be accepted as something it is not. People have the right to sin, but it is still a sin from a religious stand point. In the end they will face Gods judgement, but that doesn't mean that we should be judgemental about them. If they don't know, tell them that homosexual acts is a sin. If they are struggling with it give them sympathy, knowing that the end goal of their struggle should be God. If they want you to advocate for a sinful lifestyle, then decline. Otherwise treat them like you would any other fallible human being.

Thank you for your advise,

My school is extremely supportive of homosexuality. They always enthusiastically celebrate days like Purple Friday and then decorate the whole school with rainbow flags, it's just awful. And the ironic thing, that I forgot to mention is: one of the two teachers who gave up this assignment is bisexual. It is truly unbelievable how many people in this school are homosexual, bisexual, blablasexual or whatever. It reminds me of a hadith from I believe the holy prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) in which he says that a time will come wherein the people before the reappearance of imam al Mahdi will find it weird that a person is straight. I had a conflict (a similar situation) with the bisexual teacher three years ago: she gave me as an assignment that I had to play homosexual, after I explained that I didn't want to do this she said I had to get a red card which basically means I have to stay in detention. I know for 100% sure that if I tell the people in my school about the Islamic view, they won't care even a little bit. 

My advice would be to talk to the teacher directly. A lot of matters can be solved just by talking to the teacher.

When I was taking my introduction to philosophy class in my first year in a foreign university. My mid term paper was on Socrates but my final exam written assignment was on Gandhi. I went to the teacher and I told her I cannot do this assignment as I'm a Pakistani along with a student of history, these non-violence philosophy praises written in this book caused more death and violence in real life so I cannot glorify political anarchy. She listened to my concerns and sent me an email the next day asking me to do a paper on Rene Descartes instead.

In my history class, I was paired up with a group of 3 people who had no interest in doing the work nor they cared if they passed or failed. I went to the teacher, kicked them all out and paired up with a nerdy quiet guy and the two of us got an A+. 

So, don't worry and just talk. Ask to get your group changed.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, noaar04 said:

It is still the same video, only I have a different role. Is this also haram and wrong?

Salam if movie promotes homosexuality then any type of participation in it is both Haram & wrong.

• Forum Administrators
22 hours ago, noaar04 said:

All the people in my group wanted this topic. In that video I have to play as a gay person

Sounds like bullying to me. Who says you have to do this?

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, noaar04 said:

My school is extremely supportive of homosexuality. [...] I know for 100% sure that if I tell the people in my school about the Islamic view, they won't care even a little bit. 

Maybe you should talk to your parents about finding an other school. Are there perhaps Muslim private schools in the Netherlands? In some countries religious communities and other philosophical societies can have their own private schools.

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, noaar04 said:

Now they have said that I can play an acting role wherein I'm a bully of the gay person. It is still the same video, only I have a different role. Is this also haram and wrong?

Being a bully is prohibited in Islam. All in all, you're still advocating it by portraying how they are effected and what they go through -  argumentum ad passiones. 

My sincere advice is don't do it. It's not worth compromising your faith for even slightly. 

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, noaar04 said:

Now they have said that I can play an acting role wherein I'm a bully of the gay person. It is still the same video, only I have a different role. Is this also haram and wrong? All i have to do is make a five second long video in which I pretend to scream (to make clear that I am bullying). I only want to please Allah and hopefully I can do it this way

To me this looks like they are trying to make you and perhaps even Islam look bad. Even if your appearance is only 5 sec you would still contribute to their narrative. It doesn't seam like they understand your point of view.

• Veteran Member
23 hours ago, Nightclaw said:

All in all, you ultimately have two options and one is a no brainer: pleasing Allah or pleasing people. Make the wise choice.

Thanks brother. I wonder why we (I am talking about myself only) make decisions like this so hard when it should be very simple. Perhaps it’s attachment to the Dunya. May Allah strengthen our Eeman so that we strive for His pleasure alone.

Edited by 313_Waiter

• Veteran Member
16 hours ago, noaar04 said:

Salam,

I really appreciate all of your help. I have expressed my views on homosexuality to the people in my group. Now they have said that I can play an acting role wherein I'm a bully of the gay person. It is still the same video, only I have a different role. Is this also haram and wrong? All i have to do is make a five second long video in which I pretend to scream (to make clear that I am bullying). I only want to please Allah and hopefully I can do it this way. 

Salam brother, 

Just to be sure it is harām, what exactly is the film about? For example, is it a documentary on the psychology of homosexuals and an examination of the cause, or is it about instances of violence against the homosexual community? In Islam, we would have an issue with if it (whether covertly or overtly) promotes or normalises homosexuality. Violence against any human being is condemned.

If the film promotes homosexual acts or normalises the act, I don’t think it will be suitable for one to participate in such a film, regardless of your role within the team. Is there any way to get a teacher, parent or someone else involved? Is there any way for you to switch groups? Even if you fail the grade, in the long run you’ll think nothing of the grade and thank yourself for pleasing Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

• Advanced Member
On 1/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, noaar04 said:

Sometimes you have to offend others to do the right thing. 

That doesn't mean you have to be rude just explain homosexuality is against your religious beliefs and you would like to switch group.

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, noaar04 said:

Salam,

Don't ge a bulky as you are saying I do t want to play a gay as it's wrong but I'm ok to play a bully.

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, noaar04 said:

It is still the same video, only I have a different role. Is this also haram and wrong? All i have to do is make a five second long video in which I pretend to scream (to make clear that I am bullying). I only want to please Allah and hopefully I can do it this way. 

Salaam brother,

Very politely I want to ask.

1. Is bullying anyone right or wrong? 

2. If you are a villain in the movie, does that mean you are not contributing to the message of that movie?

3. If you play a bully, that would portrays the gays and homos as victims and the ones who oppose them as oppressors. Will that not mean that you are actually contributing to the portrayal of Muslims amd Islam in a negative light? 

4. Does it make any difference if you even play as a stone in that play maybe?

Brother, Answers are obvious and you know that. You can never please Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) this way. 

With whom are you staying at home? Please gather your support. Your family, your friends. Your brothers in faith in Netherlands. 

Brother, Please Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) by taking a stance to stand against this. Just refuse. Say a simple No. I said before too that take support from your family. Maybe if they don't then there might be a small muslim community in Netherlands. Please ask them. 

Pray to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and have tavakkul (trust) on Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is your supporter, your master.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) help you by the intercession of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ale Muhammad (عليه السلام)

Edited by Zainuu

• Advanced Member
On 1/12/2021 at 4:01 AM, noaar04 said:

Can anyone advise me what to do?

Salam 

I really feel sorry for you but didn't you had any options... like which school you want to go to

I decided to go in a Catholic school so they really respect your beliefs and always ask your parents permission...for any kind of activity

Personally I would go to the school's director and talk to him/her...if you can do something else instead that particular play... I think if you come up with good arguments ... they shouldn't have any objections:)

I hope you will find a appropriate solution... insha'Allahah:)

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Thanks brother. I wonder why we (I am talking about myself only) make decisions like this so hard when it should be very simple. Perhaps it’s attachment to the Dunya. May Allah strengthen our Eeman so that we strive for His pleasure alone.

I stopped caring about the opinions and thoughts of others long ago when I realized that Allah cares more about me than any of them ever could, hence Who I try to please.

7A91DF01-B313-493B-8655-BC34D8598332.jpeg

• Basic Members

Salam,

I have asked my parents for advise as some of you told me to do. They advised me to still take part in the 'bully role', because the video is no longer shown in our school theater (due to the extended lockdown in the Netherlands) and only the people in my group + the teacher get to see this video. They all know that I don't support homosexuality and I play a non-gay role. It's also an important assignment that ensures my transition to the next school year. The grade I get is therefore crucial. I don't have another choice. I have thought about this choice for a long time and I know that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  knows my intention and he is the most just. 

• Basic Members
4 hours ago, Ain-Al Hayat said:

didn't you had any options... like which school you want to go to

9 hours ago, Revert1963 said:

Maybe you should talk to your parents about finding an other school. Are there perhaps Muslim private schools in the Netherlands?

You do have Muslim private schools in the Netherlands, but only Elementery ones. And every school in this country is the same and has the same believes. I am in a Christian school. the funny thing is that homosexuality is actually forbidden in Christianity.

5 hours ago, Zainuu said:

Is bullying anyone right or wrong? 

5 hours ago, Zainuu said:

If you play a bully, that would portrays the gays and homos as victims and the ones who oppose them as oppressors. Will that not mean that you are actually contributing to the portrayal of Muslims amd Islam in a negative light? 

8 hours ago, Nightclaw said:

Being a bully is prohibited in Islam.

with all due respect, I don't understand why you guys are saying this. It's just acting and I don't think I'm putting Islam in a negative light only because I am coincidentally a muslim. Also, someone else could've played this role too. I hope you understand me.

May Allah reward you.

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, noaar04 said:

with all due respect, I don't understand why you guys are saying this. It's just acting and I don't think I'm putting Islam in a negative light only because I am coincidentally a muslim. Also, someone else could've played this role too. I hope you understand me.

If someone else plays this role, it is his faith brother. And regarding your grades, IMHO, these are frightening but actually later on in life, none of these things matter. I have been in many such situations in my school but then it was a bit embarrasing, now I remember and laugh. 

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, noaar04 said:

Salam,

I have asked my parents for advise as some of you told me to do. They advised me to still take part in the 'bully role', because the video is no longer shown in our school theater (due to the extended lockdown in the Netherlands) and only the people in my group + the teacher get to see this video. They all know that I don't support homosexuality and I play a non-gay role. It's also an important assignment that ensures my transition to the next school year. The grade I get is therefore crucial. I don't have another choice. I have thought about this choice for a long time and I know that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  knows my intention and he is the most just. 

That's a good point at least that video will not be presented to everyone. If you are comfortable doing this then go for it ...but personally I would not do it ... Because it's against my beliefs and make sure this video gets deleted .. I have known people who got in problems ... I know someone who played a particular role and got a really bad impression in the Muslim community ... be careful that not someone later uses this against you.

I am in a Christian school. the funny thing is that homosexuality is actually forbidden in Christianity.

Lol so true ...but still it's forbidden and as Muslim it is not allowed to support such things

Again if you are confident and you are sure this act won't effect you in the future or somehow any regrets..then go for it:)

Waslam

• Advanced Member

Salaam brother, 

I suggest you follow brother @Abu Hadi's advice. InshaAllah everything will be good. Just maintain good akhlaq but be firm and confident in what you believe in.

Also, is it possible for you to switch into a diff group with a diff topic? Perhaps just kindly explain the situation to the teacher and ask her to just place you in a diff group. 

May Allah bless you. 

• Advanced Member

That's unusual. If you're uncomfortable about playing the part, you shouldn't have to play a gay person or a bully. If it matters to your grade, maybe you can be a bystander or something. I doubt a teacher would change the entire assignment for one person, but at least you wouldn't play as big a role?

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member
On 1/13/2021 at 8:50 PM, noaar04 said:

You do have Muslim private schools in the Netherlands, but only Elementery ones. And every school in this country is the same and has the same believes. I am in a Christian school. the funny thing is that homosexuality is actually forbidden in Christianity.

May Allah reward you.

Hello my brother

I’m not mentioning what our religion says in this regard, we all know it, what I see here and maybe a point that you think about it is this, we Muslims are represented usually as closed-minded and retarded people in these societies. However, look how closed-minded they are...Because you’re not playing the bully role here...They’re bullying you as a Muslim, by forcing you to contribute in something that not only you don’t believe but it’s actually against your beliefs...So, they’re the real bully here! Maybe this point would be your first take-home lesson, when discussing with friends about it.

If I were you, I was going to change my group if possible, simply say, I’m not interested in this topic and change your group with a student who is actually interested in this group and you’re interested in the topic of their group. At the end of the day, this is a test for you...We’re all in test, and whatever happens, the most important thing is that you have a lessons-learned from this situation that tells you how you can potentially avoid similar situations in the future.

Don’t worry. God is with you.

K