Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Message (1976 Film)

Rate this topic

• Forum Administrators

It's currently on Amazon Prime.

I remember going to see it at the cinema when it first came out in 1977. I also remember sitting in the very front row, because the cinema was packed!

At the start it says that it was approved by Al-Azhar and also the High Islamic Congress of Shiat in Lebanon. Anyone familiar with the latter organisation, I can't seem to find any online reference except in relation to this film.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

There is the Supreme lslamic Council of Shi'a, Lebanon.

The difference must be in the translator's choices.

High  ~  to Supreme

Congress and Council both mean an assembly/meeting although 'council' is more suggestive of lawmaking.

Edited by hasanhh
spelin'
  • Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Anyone familiar with the latter organisation,

Salam

The Supreme Islamic Shi'a Council of Lebanon (Arabic: المجلس الإسلامي الشيعي الأعلى), the first official institution of Shi'a in Lebanon was established by Imam Musa al-Sadr in the summer 1389/1969. Al-Sayyid Musa al-Sadr was its president since its establishment until he was kidnapped (in September 1978). After him, Mohammad Mahdi Shams al-Din became the president of the council until 2000 and then Abd al-Amir Qabalan was chosen as its president.

Different educational, religious and charity centers and institutions have been established by the Supreme Islamic Shi'a Council of Lebanon including the Religious Propagation Organization, Islamic Technical School (now Islamic University of Lebanon), Imam al-Sadiq (a) Mosque and the Charity Community of Lady Zaynab (a).

https://en.wikishia.net/view/The_Supreme_Islamic_Shi'a_Council_of_Lebanon

Supreme Islamic Shia Council (abbreviated as SISC), (Arabic: المجلس الإسلامي الشيعي الأعلى‎ pronounced as Al Majles al Islaami al Shi'i al A'la) is the supreme body of the Shias of Lebanon and an official entity meant to give the Shia more say in government. It was established in 1967[1] by Sayyid Musa al-Sadr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Islamic_Shia_Council

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

The film is certainly worth a watch. Obviously for sectarian reasons they had to appeal to both sides e.g. Imam Ali ((عليه السلام).) role in battle is balanced by the episode of Abu Bakr in the cave. Omar's role in fleeing the battle of Ohud is ignored though the battle itself is covered in some detail.

Overall it is interesting that given the limits on who can be shown, the focus ends up being on Abu Sufyan and the Meccans and the film is as much about their perceptions and motivations as anything else.

You do come away with the idea that for them the whole Islam vs. pagan gods battle was as much about protecting their commercial and other interests as anything else. When it became clear that paganism could not provide the protections that they sought, they changed sides.

You don't get much sense of conviction playing a role in their conversion, which I guess is a victory for the Shia version of history.

• Advanced Member

The Message 1973 and Ten Commandments 1956 are like Wajib to watch for Muslims almost lol. Even the poorest people in Pakistan including beggars have seen both movies dubbed in Urdu or heard of them in some way. 

Though my favorite "historical-religious" movie has to be Samson 2018. It was well directed and well written. I don't know if the story of Samson is real or not but it was certainly entertaining to watch especially watching him fight 1000 men at once. I wonder if Samson really existed and really had this strength. It was probably 0.01% strength compared to the strength and might of Imam Ali(عليه السلام).

• Haji 2003 changed the title to The Message (1976 Film)
  • Advanced Member
20 hours ago, El Cid said:

The Message 1973 and Ten Commandments 1956 are like Wajib to watch for Muslims almost lol. Even the poorest people in Pakistan including beggars have seen both movies dubbed in Urdu or heard of them in some way. 

Though my favorite "historical-religious" movie has to be Samson 2018. It was well directed and well written. I don't know if the story of Samson is real or not but it was certainly entertaining to watch especially watching him fight 1000 men at once. I wonder if Samson really existed and really had this strength. It was probably 0.01% strength compared to the strength and might of Imam Ali(عليه السلام).

I know people in real life who have won in 1:5 odds or 1:10 odds; they were ordinary men with ordinary spirituality. I studied martial arts under them for a number of years (a mix of different styles). One of them even went to lockup once, since he had hospitalized several of his attackers without even using any weapon. He got released later, because it was self defence. I was once kicked in the stomach when sparring with one of them; he accidentally used his full strength. All I remember is flying through the air for at least 6 feet, and then I fell unconscious.

I have no trouble believing that Hazrat Abbas, Hazrat Ali Akbar, and the rest of the 72 at Karbala could have taken the entire army if it was Allah's Divine Will. Most people think that one-vs-many fights are a simple matter of all the attackers attacking at once, and the lone defender won't stand a chance. It's pretty clear that these people haven't been into a single serious fight their entire lives. They also forget that a knight on horseback has an advantage on foot soldiers.

The things that a human body is capable of (with proper training), will astound most people. That's not even counting the power of Yaqeen and Wilayat.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I know people in real life who have won in 1:5 odds or 1:10 odds; they were ordinary men with ordinary spirituality. I studied martial arts under them for a number of years (a mix of different styles). One of them even went to lockup once, since he had hospitalized several of his attackers without even using any weapon. He got released later, because it was self defence. I was once kicked in the stomach when sparring with one of them; he accidentally used his full strength. All I remember is flying through the air for at least 6 feet, and then I fell unconscious.

I have no trouble believing that Hazrat Abbas, Hazrat Ali Akbar, and the rest of the 72 at Karbala could have taken the entire army if it was Allah's Divine Will. Most people think that one-vs-many fights are a simple matter of all the attackers attacking at once, and the lone defender won't stand a chance. It's pretty clear that these people haven't been into a single serious fight their entire lives. They also forget that a knight on horseback has an advantage on foot soldiers.

The things that a human body is capable of (with proper training), will astound most people. That's not even counting the power of Yaqeen and Wilayat.

Ofcourse, I believe in the same thing. Personally I think the Prophet(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), Imams(Peace be upon them), Masoom(Peace be upon them) are capable of anything in this world. This world isn't some matrix simulation as this world is very much real, everything we experience is real and our bodies along with the sensations that we feel are very much real. We will simply be transported from one real world to another. But this world is at the end of the day programmed by Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to run on laws and principles such as physics, gravity etc. I believe that all the aforementioned peoples(Peace be upon them) are capable of bending/changing these principles to their will at any time just like a program's code can be altered for a purpose for a limited amount of time. We call these alterations "miracles". And this ability to exceed human capability and do anything They(Peace be upon them) want is given by Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) so it is a manifestation of the will of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

As for Karbala. Well Karbala was pre-programmed to be a lose situation for Imam Hussain(عليه السلام). He(عليه السلام) went to Karbala to get martyred along with everyone else who went there but if Imam Hussain(عليه السلام) wanted to win, He(عليه السلام) wouldn't even have to lift a sword to crush the opposing army as He(عليه السلام) carried these miracles. Now for the non-Momin, this thinking and belief sounds like "Shia madness and heresy" but that's the reality of this world as not believing that anything is possible through Allah((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى))'s will is like saying the power of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is limited which is madness/heresy in itself. 

As for the Shi'ah. The most oppressed people in the history of this entire world has to be the Shia. No nation, not even the hebrews have been violated and killed like the Shi'ah have throughout history. We've been killed in a thousand different ways by a thousand different tyrants throughout history. Shi'a Islam is the religion of the oppressed whilst the other religion is the religion of the victors. The Prophet(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) of the Shi'a was the most oppressed Prophet in the history of humanity. The successor(عليه السلام) to the Prophet(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and His 10 Successors(Peace be upon them) so far were also some of the most oppressed people in the history of humanity. Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) purposely made Shi'a Islam the religion of the oppressed because He(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has chosen the Shi'a as the true victors of the Day of Judgement and Hereafter whilst given this worthless world to enjoy to everyone else.

Right now, we're just waiting for our savior Imam Mahdi(عليه السلام) just like the hebrews waited for their saviors Hazrat David(عليه السلام) and Hazrat Sulaiman(عليه السلام). History always repeats itself. 

Edited by El Cid
Guest GuestTester
On 1/19/2021 at 2:03 AM, Sabrejet said:

There is people even in Christianity and Buddhism who did superhuman things so this thing isn’t unique only to muslims and imams even in the book light within me imam Khomeini says that anyone can attain those superhuman things and that somebody being able to perform these things shouldn’t be taken as an infallible or proof of their truthfullness, he says anyone can attain it