Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

In Islam, why did the people try to kill Jesus?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I believe that history suffices to answer this question in the sense that the Romans felt he was challenging their system of governance and the Jews didn’t think he was the Messiah, due to his modest and simple nature. 

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

The context of Qur'an 4:157 seems to be that the Jews killed and disbelieved in the prophets who came to them  and so Jesus is just in that long line.

I think the question it raises is what is our response to the words of the prophets?  Do we ignore them and say they are no longer relevant - which is acting like the Jews at the time of the prophets who ignored their message by killing them - or do we study them and seek for the truth and listen to God's instructions through them?

Jesus the Messiah told a story of a man who had a vineyard.  He let it out to tenants to look after it and share the profits.  When the time of harvest came he sent some servents to recieve his share of the profits.  However the tenants wanted to keep all the profits and so broke the agreement and sent the servents away or mistreated them or killed them.  In the end the landlord decided to send his own son, thinking that the tenants would respect him as his father's representitive in the father's place. When they saw the son they said if we kill him all the profits will be ours.  So they killed the son too.  Jesus finished the story by asking what will the vineyard owner do to the tenants?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members
On 12/29/2020 at 3:19 AM, 313_Waiter said:

:salam:
Are there any reasons cited in our literature? 

As written in the Holy Bible, Mark 14:61-64...

61  ...Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”
62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
63 The high priest tore his clothes. “Why do we need any more witnesses?” he asked. 64 “You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?” They all condemned him as worthy of death.

In this, Jesus was referring to the vision given to the Prophet Daniel, Holy Bible, Daniel 7:13-14...
13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man,[a] coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 
14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him.

I am not aware of a reason cited in the Islamic texts (I would be grateful if someone can point those out), but the reason cited in the Holy Bible is blasphamy...Jesus was claiming to be God and every Jewish leader who heard him speak those words knew exactly what he was talking about. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello

It’s simple. Because if you look at the history he was a rebellious personality in his time, he was another messenger sent to correct the deviations developed over time after moses. So he was spreading a message against the running system.

On the other hand, he claimed to be the promised messiah of Jews. According to the jews scriptures the promised messiah has some signs (you can google and read articles or watch videos on this). For example, the promised messiah supported by God could not be simply killed...So, one way to prove that he is a lier and not the true messiah supported by God, was to kill him; now guess who says they could kill him (confirming that he was not the true messiah) and who says they couldn’t kill him...Christians confirm the former while we muslims the latter...So, in fact Christians (claiming to be the lovers of jesus) based on the jews scriptures are confirming that Jesus was not the true messiah...

Ya Allah

K

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 4/5/2021 at 11:52 PM, KamranZ said:

the promised messiah supported by God could not be simply killed.

Can you give me the source for this statement?

It is interesting that the prophet Isaiah whose writings were recorded 100s of years before Jesus saw a coming one who would die.

Isaiah Chapter 53 has many illusions to a dieing deliverer - Messiah

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isa+53&version=NIVUK

He was oppressed and afflicted,
    yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
    and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.
By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
    Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
    for the transgression of my people he was punished.[b]
He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
    and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
    nor was any deceit in his mouth.

It is helpful to note that this passage goes on to say that the responsible party for this deliverer's death was not people but God himself

10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
    and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2020 at 5:21 PM, Zaidism said:

I believe that history suffices to answer this question in the sense that the Romans felt he was challenging their system of governance and the Jews didn’t think he was the Messiah, due to his modest and simple nature. 

Impossible because Jesus (عليه السلام) mission has nothing to do with Romans and their power. Jews were expecting King messiah to save them  from romans. Jesus was a prophet Messiah with different mission to the jews.

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Moderators
On 4/6/2021 at 1:52 AM, KamranZ said:

Hello

It’s simple. Because if you look at the history he was a rebellious personality in his time, he was another messenger sent to correct the deviations developed over time after moses. So he was spreading a message against the running system.

On the other hand, he claimed to be the promised messiah of Jews. According to the jews scriptures the promised messiah has some signs (you can google and read articles or watch videos on this). For example, the promised messiah supported by God could not be simply killed...So, one way to prove that he is a lier and not the true messiah supported by God, was to kill him; now guess who says they could kill him (confirming that he was not the true messiah) and who says they couldn’t kill him...Christians confirm the former while we muslims the latter...So, in fact Christians (claiming to be the lovers of jesus) based on the jews scriptures are confirming that Jesus was not the true messiah...

Ya Allah

K

This sound similiar to the some of sunni narrations that jews wanted to test prophet muhammad (saws) prophethood by poisoning him.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

As written in the Holy Bible, Mark 14:61-64...

61  ...Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”
62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
63 The high priest tore his clothes. “Why do we need any more witnesses?” he asked. 64 “You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?” They all condemned him as worthy of death.

This does not make any Sense because jews know Very well in their Books and the mention of sons of God in hebrew Bible. If Jesus says I Am son of God, then he means in the context of being representive of God as same than the past prophets, such that the jews themselves understand.

Do you think if now someone comes to Muslims and say that ” I am God, follow me” will make any Sense to muslims but rather It will be absolute blasphemy and contradiction to every part of quran. This is the same arguments jews are making on christians.

Edited by Abu Nur
  • Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

There is already vast content in NT that tells of this. Jews have always murdered Prophets according to Islamic sources too. Therefore the aburd fact that NT and Jews' OT exist as twins in the same book and OK'ed by the so-called Christians is best explained by the Quran where it says that the two will always be friends, even though one got the other's god killed.  :p and even though one tends to be monotheistic and the other does not and the Jews do not even believe Jesus to be a Prophet or Christianity the next version of Abrahamic religions. Weirdness extreme.

Edited by The Green Knight
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2021 at 5:18 AM, The Green Knight said:

There is already vast content in NT that tells of this. Jews have always murdered Prophets according to Islamic sources too. Therefore the aburd fact that NT and Jews' OT exist as twins in the same book and OK'ed by the so-called Christians is best explained by the Quran where it says that the two will always be friends, even though one got the other's god killed.  :p and even though one tends to be monotheistic and the other does not and the Jews do not even believe Jesus to be a Prophet or Christianity the next version of Abrahamic religions. Weirdness extreme.

Not just Islamic sources but even bible has description of many prophets being killed , however they always blamed someone else , since we believe the Jews wrote the bible their version will obviously make them innocent , nevertheless quiet often the prophets are killed ie John the Baptist beheaded , isiah cut into half  , and the list goes on but it’s always the king or the community that did it apparently a bit like how the sunnis say the Shia killed imam Hussein (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) 

Edited by theEndIsNear