Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is praying Tarawih an innovation?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
20 minutes ago, Syed Ali Mehdi Shah Naqvi said:

Yes it is an innovation. Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) in Sunni Hadith forbade to do so yet sunnis continue to pray.

Did you even watch the video or are you commenting based off of your own interpretation? Watch the video. He clears up everything in only 5 minutes. 

• Advanced Member

He is a wahabi mufti do he supports innovation of Tarawih by any means & Tarawih clearly is not Salat al layl because they are clearly different from each other. 

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

He is a wahabi mufti do he supports innovation of Tarawih by any means & Tarawih clearly is not Salat al layl because they are clearly different from each other. 

How did Tarawih come about in our books? If it's an innovation, provide that it is from our books in chronological order with every narration and commentary regarding it. 

• Advanced Member

@The Green Knight

He said that Tarawih is an innovation and claimed that Shaykh al-Khamis is a mufti [which is false, as he is a muhaddith, and shows how much he knows yet again], so he'll have to prove that claim it's an innovation from our books - meaning it was not done in the Messenger's (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) time. He would have to prove this in chronological order with narrations from our books.

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

He is a wahabi mufti do he supports innovation of Tarawih by any means. 

lol, In the month of Ramadan, my Sunni friend go for tarawih prayers after isha and then again go for salat ul layl (tahajjud) after midnight (3:30).

Tarawih are 8 or 20 rak'ah, Tahajjud or Salat ul layl is 11 or 13 rak'ah as per Sunni ahadith. 

Some ignorant people have really broke the legs of ijtihad by doing ijtihad based on their personal opinion or wishes.

• Veteran Member

Well it was not done in the Messenger's (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) time. It was also not done in Aba Bakr's time. There is not a single tradition proving otherwise, so what is the use of the futile practice you asked for? There are accounts of taraweeh being innovated by Umar ibn Khattab, and when told that innovation is haram him calling it a "good innovation". The "good innovation" principle is taught openly and debated. Umar invented several innovations. The salafi Ahl e Hadeeth are still inventing new innovations based on their principle of "good innovations" being permissible. E.g., using the loud speaker at 3 am each night and their call to the Tahajjud prayer. There is nothing to prove here or add to a 14 centuries old dead beaten horse.

• Advanced Member
Just now, Cool said:

Tarawih are 8 or 20 rak'ah, Tahajjud or Salat ul layl is 11 or 13 rak'ah as per Sunni ahadith. 

Not necessarily. You can pray in even numbers and adding an extra unit of prayer to make it an odd number for the night prayer. There is no prescribed amount as you've stated, outside of two units of prayer - minimum. This is entirely baseless.

2 minutes ago, Cool said:

lol, In the month of Ramadan, my Sunni friend go for tarawih prayers after isha and then again go for salat ul layl (tahajjud) after midnight (3:30).

May Allah reward the brother and increase him in faith, guidance, and sincerity. 

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, The Green Knight said:

Well it was not done in the Messenger's (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) time. It was also not done in Aba Bakr's time.

Uh oh... 

1 minute ago, The Green Knight said:

It was also not done in Aba Bakr's time. There is not a single tradition proving otherwise, so what is the use of the futile practice you asked for?

Man... so much for these narrations, huh?

The Messenger of Allah said:
"Whosoever performs prayers at night during the month of Ramadan, with faith and in the hope of receiving Allah's reward, will have his past sins forgiven."
Riyadh as-Saliheen by Imam Nawawi: Book 8, Hadith #198.

'A'isha reported that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) prayed one night in the mosque and people also prayed along with him. He then prayed on the following night and there were many persons. Then on the third or fourth night (many people) gathered there, but the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) did not come out to them (for leading the Tarawih prayer). When it was morning he said: "I saw what you were doing, but I desisted to come to you (and lead the prayer) for I feared that this prayer might become obligatory for you." The narrator said: "It was in the month of Ramadan."
Sahih Muslim by Imam Muslim: Book 6, Hadith #211.

Wow. You said... there's not a single tradition that proves otherwise?! I could have sworn they were there since the 9th century, brother. It is a wise thing to know for certainty about a claim before you assert it.

11 minutes ago, The Green Knight said:

There are accounts of taraweeh being innovated by Umar ibn Khattab, and when told that innovation is haram him calling it a "good innovation"

Not exactly. This is explained all over. Go read about it.

13 minutes ago, The Green Knight said:

Umar invented several innovations. The salafi Ahl e Hadeeth are still inventing new innovations based on their principle of "good innovations" being permissible. E.g., using the loud speaker at 3 am each night and their call to the Tahajjud prayer. There is nothing to prove here or add to a 14 centuries old dead beaten horse.

Using the loud speaker at 3am each night to call prayer is... innovation? Riding cars is also innovation. Riding in airplanes is innovation. Using computers is also innovation. Recording live Islamic seminars and online classes is also innovation. All of these things fall under innovation if using speakers are innovation, according to you. Also, what are these "several innovations" 'Umar invented? I'm curious.

• Veteran Member
48 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

"Whosoever performs prayers at night during the month of Ramadan, with faith and in the hope of receiving Allah's reward, will have his past sins forgiven."

'A'isha reported that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) prayed one night in the mosque and people also prayed along with him. He then prayed on the following night and there were many persons. Then on the third or fourth night (many people) gathered there, but the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) did not come out to them (for leading the Tarawih prayer). When it was morning he said: "I saw what you were doing, but I desisted to come to you (and lead the prayer) for I feared that this prayer might become obligatory for you." The narrator said: "It was in the month of Ramadan."

Wow. You said... there's not a single tradition that proves otherwise?! I could have sworn they were there since the 9th century, brother. It is a wise thing to know for certainty about a claim before you assert it.

Seriously? Taraweeh, the congregational Sunni ritual prayers in the evenings of Ramadhan are one thing, praying at night is another. The Prophet prayed most of the nights regardless of Ramadhan, unlike yourselves. How does that justify taraweeh? The second hadith proves he had to avoid praying in the mosque precisely so some people do not come up with the congregational Taraweeh prayers of the month of Ramadhan. The first one is about praying at night in Ramadhan. Doesn't mention congregational in a mosque with recital of whole Quran etc to be sunnah. Thank you for proving us right.

If there was an account of the Prophet or Aba Bakr praying Taraweeh regulaarly (and not discouraging it as your narration tells us) then you would have posted it.

55 minutes ago, Nightclaw said:

sing the loud speaker at 3am each night to call prayer is... innovation? Riding cars is also innovation. Riding in airplanes is innovation. Using computers is also innovation. Recording live Islamic seminars and online classes is also innovation. All of these things fall under innovation if using speakers are innovation, according to you. Also, what are these "several innovations" 'Umar invented? I'm curious.

Did the Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) ever tell Bilal to say adhaan at 3 am for "Tahajjud"?

These are all "no-brainers", as the westerners say.

Were 5 not enough that you invent the 6th? By destroying the peace of other creatures at 3 am? With no regard of the sick, the tired, torturing people as they torture in Guantanamo, not letting them sleep. How many new times will you come up with?

The time of Tahajjud varies widely.

But okay.

Of course you always have explanations for everything. Would be fun seeing you try explain before God.

• Advanced Member
29 minutes ago, The Green Knight said:

Seriously? Taraweeh, the congregational Sunni ritual prayers in the evenings of Ramadhan are one thing, praying at night is another. The Prophet prayed most of the nights regardless of Ramadhan, unlike yourselves. How does that justify taraweeh? The second hadith proves he had to avoid praying in the mosque precisely so some people do not come up with the congregational Taraweeh prayers of the month of Ramadhan. The first one is about praying at night in Ramadhan. Doesn't mention congregational in a mosque with recital of whole Quran etc to be sunnah. Thank you for proving us right.

If there was an account of the Prophet or Aba Bakr praying Taraweeh regulaarly (and not discouraging it as your narration tells us) then you would have posted it.

Look in the two books of Sahih. Evidence is prevalent. You need to understand that Tarawih is the name scholars gave it - such as tahiyyatul masjid (2 units of prayer upon entering masjid). If you want to explicit wording, I'd like for you to do the same with the concept of Imamate in the Qur'an!

31 minutes ago, The Green Knight said:

Did the Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) ever tell Bilal to say adhaan at 3 am for "Tahajjud"?

These are all "no-brainers", as the westerners say.

Were 5 not enough that you invent the 6th? By destroying the peace of other creatures at 3 am? With no regard of the sick, the tired, torturing people as they torture in Guantanamo, not letting them sleep. How many new times will you come up with?

The time of Tahajjud varies widely.

But okay.

Of course you always have explanations for everything. Would be fun seeing you try explain before God.

Tahajjud is after 'Isha until Fajr or an hour before Fajr. This is the scholarly consensus. There is no widely varying time other than this.

I don't always have explanations. Just common misconceptions that have been made clear based off of my knowledge and what was taught to me, as well as reading - something you don't seem to do!

• Basic Members

Second Evil Innovation: Praying Tarawih in a Mosque Congregation (Jama’ah)

Ahle Sunnah (as well as Nawasib/Wahabies) claim that Rasool (saww) stopped the so called Tarawih Prayer (First) in Congregation and (Second) in Mosque, fearing that it would become obligatory upon his Ummah. And while Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) already passed away, therefore it can no more become compulsory for Ummah.

The reality: Offering Nawafil at home is Sunnat-e-Muwakkidah

Our opponents have baked a cake wherein the ingredients are a mixture of lies and truths. The defenders of Tarawih have prioritised the non related part of the speech of Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), over the relevant and most important part of his words.

Here is the complete speech of Rasool (saw):

Narrated Zaid bin Thabit:
Allah’s Apostle made a small room (with a palm leaf mat). Allah’s Apostle came out (of his house) and prayed in it. Some men came and joined him in his prayer. Then again the next night they came for the prayer, but Allah’s Apostle delayed and did not come out to them. So they raised their voices and knocked the door with small stones (to draw his attention). He came out to them in a state of ANGER, saying, “You are still insisting (on your deed, i.e. Tarawih prayer in the mosque) that I thought that this prayer (Tarawih) might become obligatory on you. So you people, offer this prayer (i.e. Tahajjud or the so called Tarawih) at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is the one which he offers at home, except the compulsory (congregational) prayer.”

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, Number 134

We can see that Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) cited this Tahajjud (or the so called Tarawih) Prayer, and stated:

1. Offer this Tahajjud (or so called Tarawih) prayer at your homes.
  2. Conduct the said prayer individually not in congregation at home.
  3. These individual Nawafil exceed those offered in a Mosque until Qiyammah whether or not the Prophet (s) is alive is an irrelevant consideration)

It is therefore Sunnat-e-Muwakkidah (strongly recommended) to pray Nawafil at home whereas congregational Tarawih conflicts directly with the Sunnah of the Prophet (s).

Side Comment: Nawafil (optional) prayers cannot be offered in Congregation (Jammah).

This is an undeniable fact and but the advocates of Tarawih will argue why Rasool (saww) offered the Nawafil of Tahajjud (which is also known as Qiyam-ul-Lail) in congregation over three nights?

The answer is, Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) didn’t offer any optional prayers during those three nights, he offered the compulsory prayers, which is why others were permitted to pray behind him (s) in congregation.

Qiyyam-ul-Lail was made compulsory for Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) who states:

وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَامًا مَّحْمُودًا

[Shakir 17:79] And during a part of the night, pray Tahajjud beyond what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to a position of great glory.

Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was only offering the Compulsory Prayer with the Niyyah (intention) of “Fardh” فرض , when others behind him, they only followed the Niyyah of Imam.

It is wrong to suggest that Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) ever offered optional prayers behind a congregation made the Jamma’ah for any Nafl Prayer during his whole life. That is why he stressed that the Tahajjud (or so called Tarawih) prayers be offered at home.

If the Tarawi advocates oppose our position could they kindly direct us to any evidence suggesting that:

1. This strong recommendation of Rasool (saww) was abrogated after his death.
  2. Praying it in congregation,and that too in mosques, is better than praying individually at home.

Third Evil of Tarawih: It has quashed the highly recommended Sunnah of our Rasool (s) (i.e. Sunnat-e-Muwakkidah)

Tarawih has opposed the strongly worded endorsement of the Prophet (s) that optional prayers be offered at home until the Day of Judgment.

According to the sayings of Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), one sign of Biddah an evil (misguided Innovation) is this that people stop acting upon one similar Sunnah of Rasool which is why the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said:

وعن غضيف بن الحارث الثمالي قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ما أحدث قوم بدعة إلا رفع مثلها من السنة فتمسك بسنة خير من إحداث بدعة

‘Allah’s Messenger ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) said: ‘If one nation innovates something, then one Sunnah of same kind disappeares, thus holding a Sunnah is better than making an innovation”.
Mishkat al-Masabih, Volume 1 page 40

Tarawih falls within the ambit of an evil, misguided, innovation, after all it has replaced the recommended Sunnah that optional prayers be recited within the confines of one’s own home. We challenge our opponents to prove our assertion wrong

Fourth Evil: Tarawih vs “Sahaba Worship”

Tarawih has nothing to do with the Sunnah of Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), it is the by-product of “Sahaba Worship” as Umar Ibn Khattab introduced it (against the recommendation of Rasool (saw)).

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, “Allah’s Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of ‘Umar’s Caliphate.” ‘Abdur Rahman bin ‘Abdul Qari said, “I went out in the company of ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, ‘Umar said, ‘in my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)’. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka’b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, ‘Umar remarked, ‘what an excellent Bid’a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.’ He meant the prayer in the last part of the night(Tahajjut). 

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 32, Number 227

Maulana Waheed uz Zaman Khan in his commentary of Bukhari wrote the following relating to this hadith:

“From the words of Hadhrat Umar (i.e. what a good Innovation), it becomes clear that he did not personally join that prayer. Perhaps Hadhrat Umar thought that Nafl prayers are better at home and during the latter part of the night. Muhammad bin Nasr Marozi narrated that Ibn Abbas said that he was with Umar that people started making noises. Upon this Hadhrat Umar inquired what was that. Others told him that people are going back after offering Tarawih. Hearing this, Hadhrt Umar said: “The night that has been left, is better that what has passed away”.

Ahle Sunnah as well as Nawasib/Wahabies claim that:

• One can pray Nawafil in a mosque congregation (as the Sahaba were praying in small congregations in above mentioned hadith)
  • Umar didn’t start an entirely new Innovation, but he merely formalised a practice wherein those Sahaba that had hitherto prayed in small group congregations could now do so in a single large congregation

And our reply is as follows:

• Umar had merely replaced a Bidah of the Sahaba playing Nawafil in congregations with another Biddah, namely them all praying in a single congregation. Replacing one Bidah, with another Biddah does not make that Bidah a halal act!
  • As Caliph, it was obligatory upon Umar Ibn Khattab to stop those people (who were praying in small congregations) from this Biddah. Unfortunately rather than cutail such a Bidah, he placed his support behind it, by formalising it and publicising it!

There were many that had hitherto prayed individually, but Umar Ibn Khattab’s public support for this Biddah, the real Sunnah of our Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) society evaporated from the public conscience.

Fifth Evil of Tarawih: It has stopped many people from praying ‘the actual’ Tahajjud Prayer

Let us analyse this part of above mentioned hadith:

…On that, ‘Umar remarked, ‘what an excellent Bid’a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.’ He meant the prayer in the last part of the night(Tahajjud). 

Now the real Sunnat-e-Muwakkidah (highly Recommended Sunnah) is to pray Tahajjud, but people (out of their disease of Umar Worship… pursuant to the “Seerat-e-Sheikhain) preferred this Evil Misguided Innovation of Tarawih upon the Tahajjud Prayer.

It is evident by the fact that Umar’s followers rush to the “Tarawih Prayers” on the false premise that their fast is not accepted without it), but remain asleep during the times of Tahajjud. This is down to no other reason save “Sahaba Worship”.

Sixth Evil of Tarawih: The Misguided Innovated Fatwas of the four Fiqhs of Ahle Sunnah about Congregation of Tarawih.

As proved earlier, our Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) never prayed any 8 or 20 Rakah prayers after Isha Prayers (either individually, or in a congregation).

Now let us look at the edicts of four Sunni Fiqh Imams regarding praying Tarawih in congregation:

Hanafi Fiqh

We read in Durr al-Mukhtar, Volume 2 page 46:

(التراويح سنة) مؤكدة لمواظبة الخلفاء الراشدين (للرجال والنساء) إجماعا

“Tarawih unanimously is Sunnat Muakida as the guided caliphs were persevered in offering it with men and women” 

We read in Durr al-Mukhtar, Volume 2 page 47:

(والجماعة فيها سنة على الكفاية) في الاصح، فلو تركها أهل مسجد أثموا

“To offer it in congregation is Sunnat Kiffaya according to the most correct opinion, if all the people of a mosque abandoned it, then all of them would be sinners”.

Note:The Sahaba didn’t offer Tarawih prayers during the lifetime of our Prophet (s) or during the reign of Abu Bakr, were all of these individuals, including the Prophet (s) and Abu Bakr, sinners as the Fatwa suggests?

We also read in Fatawa Alamgiri, Volume 1 page 116:

وَلَوْ صَلَّى التَّرَاوِيحَ ثُمَّ أَرَادُوا أَنْ يُصَلُّوا ثَانِيًا فُرَادَى

“If they offered Tarawih and then they want to offer it a second time then they should do it individually (not in a congregation)”.

Note: Can the Nawasib of Sipah Sahaba tell us if it the Prophet (s), declared it Haram to offer Tarawih a second time in a congregation? If the Prophet (s) never said such a thing, who has the right to declare acts as haram in the Shariah after his death?

We read in Durr al-Mukhtar, Volume 2 page 49:

(والختم) مر سنة، ومرتين فضيلة، وثلاثا أفضل (ولا يترك) الختم (لكسل القوم)

“Khatam (completing Quran) once is Sunnah, twice is Fadhilah (better), thrice is Afdhal (best), and Khatam (completing Quran) should not be abandoned due to the laziness of people.”

Note: The Prophet (s) never completed any Quran (once or twice or thrice) during any 8/20 Rakah prayer after Isha, so how has this staircase of virtues come into fruition?

Shafai & Hambali Fiqh

They declare the Jama’at an obligatory Sunnah for all i.e. leaving without any reason is a sin.

Whilst we offer no comments from our side comments by our Sunni Brothers would be much appreciated.

Maliki Fiq’h

They consider the Jama’at as Mustahab i.e. better, but not an obligatory Sunnah.

our comments:

This is again a bidah as the Prophetic Instructions were that it is Mustahab to offer Tahajjud at home. If certain individuals choose to oppose the Prophet’s directive and want to declare it Mustahab in Jammah, they do so at their own risk.

Further challenges regarding Tarawih directed at those of the Wahabi / Nasibi persuasion

According to Salafies any new action, which was not been revealed by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), and was later invented by the people constitutes a misguided innovation (Biddah).

We accordingly invite them to take up the following challenges:

(1). Why do Wahabies pray Tarawih for 30 Nights of Ramadhan in congregation?

1. Our Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) offered Tahajjud congregational prayers (or so called Tarawih) for just three nights during Ramadhan. Why have you extended this Sunnah of three nights to an entire thirty nights during Ramadhan?
  2. Moreover, why have you restricted it to the thirty nights of Ramadhan and not three hundred and sixty five nights a year? (i.e. Did Rasool ever tell you that this Congregational Tarawih prayer can only be offered during Ramadhan and would be Haram and would be rendered haram if replicated during other times of the year?)

Note: This thirty day extension has no nexus with the Prophet (s), the Salafies are merely implementing the Qiyyas of their second Khalifa.

(2). The Salafi Sunnah of completing the entire Quran during “Tarawih”

We invite the Salafies to enlighten us:

1. Did the Prophet ever complete the recitation of the entire Quran via congregational prayers over the thirty nights of Ramadhan?
  2. If not, can they produce any authentic Hadith wherein the Prophet (s) ordered that his Ummah do so after his death (s)?

It is indeed ironic that the same Salafies that object to the Shia regularising the practice of Darood before Adhan due it being a Bidah have themselves regularised a practice of completing the Quran during the Congregational Tarawih prayers, and encourage participation in it!

Note: Neither Allah, nor His Rasool (saww) ever ordered (or recommended) the recitation of the entire contents of the Quran during Congregational prayers during the thirty nights of Ramadhan. Contrary to this, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) recommended that we read those parts of the Quran that are easy.

[Shakir 73:20] Surely your Lord knows that you pass in prayer nearly two-thirds of the night, and (sometimes) half of it, and (sometimes) a third of it, and (also) a party of those with you; and Allah measures the night and the day. He knows that you are not able to do it, so He has turned to you (mercifully),therefore read what is easy of the Quran. He knows that there must be among you sick, and others who travel in the land seeking of the bounty of Allah, and others who fight in Allah’s way, therefore read as much of it as is easy (to you),

Therefore, completing one Quran during the thirty nights of Ramadhan is nothing other than a Bidah of Umar Ibn Khattab, and Salafies are prioritising adherence to his innovation rather than adherence to the Quran and Sunnah.

(3). Why do Salafies attack the Barailvi practice of Shabina?

Shabina is the practice of Barailvi Hanafies in the Indian sub-continent wherein they complete the recitation of the entire Quran during the last three nights of Ramadhan.

Now Salafies deem Shabina to be a Biddah as the Prophet (s) never adhered to this practice. If this is their stance then by the same token, their practice of completing the entire Quran over thirty nights, should likewise be deemed a Biddah. Why is it objectionable for this Sunni group to follow a Biddah, but okay for you to follow one, after all the Prophet (s) never completed one Quran during the thirty days of Ramadhan, did he?

Seventh Evil of Tarawih: Claiming there is no difference between Tarawih and Tahajjud both attract the same Rewards

The differences between Tahajjud and present day Tarawih are as follows:

1. Tahajjud was compulsory upon Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)

Tahajjud prayer was obligatory on our Prophet (s) whereas he never offered 8 or 20 Rakah Salah in Congregation, as is done in Tarawih.

2. Tahajjud is a Sunnat-e-Muwakkidah upon Ummah, whereas Tarawih is not

Tahajjud was always a Sunnat-e-Muwakkidah upon the Ummah unlike Tarawih (i.e. 8 or 20 Rakah Salat after Isha prayers) that is at best a mere “Nafl” prayer (if prayed individually at home). Tarawih has absolutely no preference over any other Nafl prayer offered at any other time during the day

The harsh reality is praying Tarawih in a mosque congregation renders it inferior to any other Nafl Prayer which is offered individually at home)

3. Tahajjud Time starts only after the middle of the night (i.e. praying any Nafl after Isha doesn’t count in Tahajjud)

We read in Quran:

[Shakir 73:1] O you who have wrapped up in your garments!
[Shakir 73:2] Rise to pray in the night except a little,
[Shakir 73:3] Half of it, or lessen it a little,
[Shakir 73:4] Or add to it, and recite the Quran as it ought to be recited.

Similarly, see the verse 20 of Surah Muzamil below:

[Shakir 73:20] Surely your Lord knows that you pass in prayer nearly two-thirds of the night, and (sometimes) half of it, and (sometimes) a third of it, and (also) a party of those with you; and Allah measures the night and the day.

Therefore, if anyone remains insistent that praying 8 or 20 Rakah Salat after Isha prayer merits the same rewards of Tahajjud, is blind (both physically and spiritually).

4. Even Umar Ibn Khattab differentiated between Tarawih and Tahajjud

Whilst Umar Ibn Khattab introduced the Biddah of Tarawih he was fully aware of the difference between Tarawih and Tahajjud Prayers as can be evidenced through his own testimony:

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, “Allah’s Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of ‘Umar’s Caliphate.” ‘Abdur Rahman bin ‘Abdul Qari said, “I went out in the company of ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, ‘Umar said, ‘in my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)’. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka’b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, ‘Umar remarked, ‘what an excellent Bid’a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.’ He meant the prayer in the last part of the night(Tahajjut).

Do the Salafies/Wahabies still have courage to claim there is no difference between Tarawih and Tahajjud and they carry the same rewards?

• Basic Members

Umar Ibn Khattab prayed 20 Rakah during Tarawih while Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) offered 8 Rakah in Tahajjud

One of the biggest differences between Tahajjud and Tarawih is the fact that the established Sunnah of our Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was to offer 8 Rakah during Tahajjud whereas Umar Ibn Khattab initiated Tarawih, with a 20 Rakah Salah.

This also proves that when Umar Ibn Khattab started Tarawih, he had no intention of reviving the Sunnah of Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) who offered Tahajjud for 3 nights in a mosque congregation.

We have addressed the 8 and 20 Rakah dispute, in detail in the third Chapter

Eighth Evil of Tarawih: Reading the Quran at a fast pace rather than reading it in a slow meaningful way to secure the attention of the congregation

Should the Holy Qur’an be recited at a fast pace to cover more than one part every night during Tarawih Prayers?

The Quran says that it should be recited meaningfully and listened to attentively

[Yusufali 7:204] When the Qur’an is read, listen to it with attention, and hold your peace: that ye may receive Mercy.

Similarly:

[Shakir 75:16] Do not move your tongue with it to make haste with it,

Does completing whole Quran during these congregational prayers of Tarawih reflect these teachings of the Quran, or make the recitation meaningful? The method of Qur’an recitation during tarawih conflicts with the dictates of the Quran and in fact makes a mockery of it.

This may give a conclusion to the Tarawih issue.
  • Advanced Member
On 12/20/2020 at 4:51 PM, Nightclaw said:

doesn't mention taraveeh.

Doesn't mentions prayers in Jamaat,

On 12/20/2020 at 4:51 PM, Nightclaw said:

Thats a lie attributed to Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) that he stopped it so it might become wajib on people.

See Sahih Muslim Chapter:  باب فضيلة العمل الدائم من قيام اليل (The virtue of a deed that is done persistently, whether it be Qiyam al-Lail or anything else. ) has hadiths (Just look at chapter name. The Amal that was done with consistency was more liked so why didn't any of these became obligatory? Lol):

1. 'A'isha reported that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) had a mat and he used it for making an apartment during the night and observed prayer in it, and the people began to pray with him, and he spread it (the mat) during the day time. The people crowded round him one night. He (the Holy Prophet) then said:

O people, perform such acts as you are capable of doing, for Allah does not grow weary but you will get tired. The acts most pleasing to Allah are those which are done continuously, even if they are small. And it was the habit of the members of Muhammad's (ﷺ) household that whenever they did an act they did it continuously.
وَحَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الْوَهَّابِ، - يَعْنِي الثَّقَفِيَّ - حَدَّثَنَا عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، أَنَّهَا قَالَتْ كَانَ لِرَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حَصِيرٌ وَكَانَ يُحَجِّرُهُ مِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَيُصَلِّي فِيهِ فَجَعَلَ النَّاسُ يُصَلُّونَ بِصَلاَتِهِ وَيَبْسُطُهُ بِالنَّهَارِ فَثَابُوا ذَاتَ لَيْلَةٍ فَقَالَ ‏ "‏ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ عَلَيْكُمْ مِنَ الأَعْمَالِ مَا تُطِيقُونَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ لاَ يَمَلُّ حَتَّى تَمَلُّوا وَإِنَّ أَحَبَّ الأَعْمَالِ إِلَى اللَّهِ مَا دُووِمَ عَلَيْهِ وَإِنْ قَلَّ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَكَانَ آلُ مُحَمَّدٍ صلى الله عليه وسلم إِذَا عَمِلُوا عَمَلاً أَثْبَتُوهُ ‏.‏

'A'isha is reported to have said that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) was asked about the act most pleasing to Allah. He replied:

That which is done continuously, even if it is small.
حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنْ سَعْدِ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ أَبَا سَلَمَةَ، يُحَدِّثُ عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم سُئِلَ أَىُّ الْعَمَلِ أَحَبُّ إِلَى اللَّهِ قَالَ ‏ "‏ أَدْوَمُهُ وَإِنْ قَلَّ ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Reference     : Sahih Muslim 782 b
In-book reference     : Book 6, Hadith 256
USC-MSA web (English) reference     : Book 4, Hadith 1711

According to Sunnis, it was habit of HouseHold (Ashaab) of prophets (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) to do amal consistently. I question how many of them became wajib? Lol

see this how did Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) used to act:

Alqama reported:

I asked 'A'isha, the mother of the believers, saying O mother of the believers, how did the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) act? Did he choose a particular act for a particular day? She said: No. He act was continuous, and who amongst you is capable of doing what the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) did?
وَحَدَّثَنَا زُهَيْرُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، وَإِسْحَاقُ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، قَالَ زُهَيْرٌ حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، عَنْ مَنْصُورٍ، عَنْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، عَنْ عَلْقَمَةَ، قَالَ سَأَلْتُ أُمَّ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ عَائِشَةَ قَالَ قُلْتُ يَا أُمَّ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ كَيْفَ كَانَ عَمَلُ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم هَلْ كَانَ يَخُصُّ شَيْئًا مِنَ الأَيَّامِ قَالَتْ لاَ ‏.‏ كَانَ عَمَلُهُ دِيمَةً وَأَيُّكُمْ يَسْتَطِيعُ مَا كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَسْتَطِيعُ .
Reference     : Sahih Muslim 783 a
In-book reference     : Book 6, Hadith 257
USC-MSA web (English) reference     : Book 4, Hadith 1712

and hadiths go on .....

so hadith you quoted is a lie attributed to Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). Becuase he used to act consistently but none of any other amaal became wajib. Also Allah likes the act that is done forever, He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) doesn't make it obligatory lol 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 12/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, Nightclaw said:

Here is an explanation, but it's in Arabic. 

Ofcourse Tarawih is an innovation! Fyi, im a recent convert (sunni-shia) and thus I've done well research before making this decision. 

وَقَالَ الْمَكِّيُّ حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ،‏.‏ وَحَدَّثَنِي مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ زِيَادٍ، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي سَالِمٌ أَبُو النَّضْرِ، مَوْلَى عُمَرَ بْنِ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ عَنْ بُسْرِ بْنِ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ زَيْدِ بْنِ ثَابِتٍ ـ رضى الله عنه ـ قَالَ احْتَجَرَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حُجَيْرَةً مُخَصَّفَةً أَوْ حَصِيرًا، فَخَرَجَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يُصَلِّي فِيهَا، فَتَتَبَّعَ إِلَيْهِ رِجَالٌ وَجَاءُوا يُصَلُّونَ بِصَلاَتِهِ، ثُمَّ جَاءُوا لَيْلَةً فَحَضَرُوا وَأَبْطَأَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم عَنْهُمْ، فَلَمْ يَخْرُجْ إِلَيْهِمْ فَرَفَعُوا أَصْوَاتَهُمْ وَحَصَبُوا الْبَابَ، فَخَرَجَ إِلَيْهِمْ مُغْضَبًا فَقَالَ لَهُمْ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏

‏ مَا زَالَ بِكُمْ صَنِيعُكُمْ حَتَّى ظَنَنْتُ أَنَّهُ سَيُكْتَبُ عَلَيْكُمْ، فَعَلَيْكُمْ بِالصَّلاَةِ فِي بُيُوتِكُمْ، فَإِنَّ خَيْرَ صَلاَةِ الْمَرْءِ فِي بَيْتِهِ، إِلاَّ الصَّلاَةَ الْمَكْتُوبَةَ ‏"
Narrated Zaid bin Thabit:
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) made a small room (with a palm leaf mat). Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) came out and prayed in it. Some men came and joined him in his prayer. Then again the next night they came for the prayer, but Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) delayed and did not come out to them. So they raised their voices and knocked the door with small stones (to draw his attention). He came out to them in a state of anger, saying, "You are still insisting that I thought that this prayer might become obligatory on you. So you people, offer this prayer at your homes, for the best prayer of a person is the one which he offers at home, except the compulsory (congregational) prayer."

Sahih al-Bukhari 6113
In-book : Book 78, Hadith 140
USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 8, Book 73, Hadith 134  (deprecated)
Sahih Bukhari

حَدَّثَنَا شُجَاعُ بْنُ مَخْلَدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا هُشَيْمٌ، أَخْبَرَنَا يُونُسُ بْنُ عُبَيْدٍ، عَنِ الْحَسَنِ، أَنَّ عُمَرَ بْنَ الْخَطَّابِ، جَمَعَ النَّاسَ عَلَى أُبَىِّ بْنِ كَعْبٍ فَكَانَ يُصَلِّي لَهُمْ عِشْرِينَ لَيْلَةً وَلاَ يَقْنُتُ بِهِمْ إِلاَّ فِي النِّصْفِ الْبَاقِي فَإِذَا كَانَتِ الْعَشْرُ الأَوَاخِرُ تَخَلَّفَ فَصَلَّى فِي بَيْتِهِ فَكَانُوا يَقُولُونَ أَبَقَ أُبَىٌّ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو دَاوُدَ وَهَذَا يَدُلُّ عَلَى أَنَّ الَّذِي ذُكِرَ فِي الْقُنُوتِ لَيْسَ بِشَىْءٍ وَهَذَانِ الْحَدِيثَانِ يَدُلاَّنِ عَلَى ضَعْفِ حَدِيثِ أُبَىٍّ أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَنَتَ فِي الْوِتْرِ ‏.‏
Narrated Ubayy ibn Ka'b:
Al-Hasan reported: Umar ibn al-Khattab gathered the people (in tarawih prayer) behind Ubayy ibn Ka'b (who led them). He used to lead them for twenty days (during Ramadan, and would not recite the supplication except in the second half of it (i.e. Ramadan). When the last ten days remained, he kept away from them, and prayed in his house. They used to say: Ubayy ran away.
Abu Dawud said: This tradition shows that whatever has been reported about the recitation of the supplication is not tenable. Moreover, these two traditions from Ubayy b. Ka'b indicate that another tradition which tells that the Prophet (ﷺ) recited the supplication in the witr is weak.
Da'if (Al-Albani)

Sunan Abi Dawud 1429
In-book : Book 8, Hadith 14
English translation : Book 8, Hadith 1424
Abu Dawood

Offering nafl prayers during Ramadan is highly recommended but at the same it is never said by the Prophet (saww) to gather in a mosque and offer the prayers(IMPORTANT THING HERE IS: IN SO MANY SAHIH HADITH BOOKS, THIS INCIDENT OF PRAYERS DURING RAMADAN HASN'T MENTIONED "TARAWIH" DIRECTED, INSTEAD IT IS PLACED IN BRACKETS AND FOR THIS REASON IT CANBE CONCLUDED THAT THERE WAS NO CONCEPT LIKE "TARAWIH" DURING THE LIFETIME OF PROPHET (SAWW)).

حَدَّثَنَا زَيْدُ بْنُ أَخْزَمَ، وَعَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ عُمَرَ، قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عُمَرَ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ ‏

‏ لاَ تَتَّخِذُوا بُيُوتَكُمْ قُبُورًا ‏" ‏‏

It was narrated that Ibn "Umar said:

"The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "Do not make your houses into graves.'"

Sahih (Darussalam)

English : Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1377 
Arabic : Book 5, Hadith 1440
Sunan Ibn Majah

If I've said something which harmed your feelings, I'm sorry from the heart. But truth cannot be kept hidden even if tried excessively. 

• Advanced Member
On 12/20/2020 at 10:30 PM, Nightclaw said:

@The Green Knight

He said that Tarawih is an innovation and claimed that Shaykh al-Khamis is a mufti [which is false, as he is a muhaddith, and shows how much he knows yet again], so he'll have to prove that claim it's an innovation from our books - meaning it was not done in the Messenger's (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) time. He would have to prove this in chronological order with narrations from our books.

It’s good sunnis are praying more and more prayer is always good but u have to agree it’s a very unique thing ,praying nafilah prayers in congregation is just weird but, just pray alone 

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 12/20/2020 at 3:52 AM, Nightclaw said:

Here is an explanation, but it's in Arabic. 

The Salat itself is not a bid'ah, But the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said for the people to pray it in their homes. Its a mustahab prayer, but you must pray it alone.

• Advanced Member
On 12/20/2020 at 6:51 AM, Nightclaw said:

Uh oh... 

Not exactly. This is explained all over. Go read about it.

Using the loud speaker at 3am each night to call prayer is... innovation? Riding cars is also innovation. Riding in airplanes is innovation. Using computers is also innovation. Recording live Islamic seminars and online classes is also innovation. All of these things fall under innovation if using speakers are innovation, according to you. Also, what are these "several innovations" 'Umar invented? I'm curious.

What about this? The son of the Rightly guided Caliph says he didn't do it and that he compared the people who do it to Donkeys.

Book page image1-LI

"7742- Abd al Razzaq from, (Sufyan) Al Thawri, From Mansur, from Mujahid that he said,

A Man came to Ibn Umar and he said, 'Do you pray behind the Imam (leader of the prayer) during Ramadan?' He (Ibn Umar) said, 'Do you read the Quran?' He said, 'yes.' He said, 'And you stay quiet like a donkey? Pray in your house.'

7743- Abd al Razzaq, from Abdullah Ibn Umar, from Nafi3, from Ibn Umar that he stand up behind the Imam during Ramadan."

So If you pray taraweeh Jama3ah then you are like a donkey. These are not my words. They are the words of the Rightly Guided Caliph.

Wasalam.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Ansar Shiat Ali said:

The Salat itself is not a bid'ah, But the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said for the people to pray it in their homes. Its a mustahab prayer, but you must pray it alone.

Interestingly  Malik ibn Anas always prayed in his house