Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it Shirk to think of someone or something else besides Allah((سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)) during Salah(prayer)?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

I recently watched this Youtube video (which is in Urdu). I watch these type of videos now and then. But this video has stressed me so much. As I know that Shirk is unforgivable and the biggest sin, I am scared of even practising Salah. During Salah or Prayer, millions of things and thoughts come and go through my mind. In this video, the scholar says that 99% of people are committing shirk, because people who think of someone else during prayer, are doing shirk. I just THINK he is wrong(Its just my opinion, so please correct me if I'm wrong). Shirk is simply worshipping someone else besides Allah, or compare someone else with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). I do not think that I am worshipping of whom I am thinking (Naa'oozu billah). I cannot stop myself from thinking other things. I know I am standing in front of Allah during prayer, but thinking of someone or something else during prayer doesn't make it shirk. If I am wrong so please correct me, I will really appreciate it, and I will try my best to think of nothing but Allah during Prayer(Salah).

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, AliNaqi said:

I recently watched this Youtube video (which is in Urdu). I watch these type of videos now and then. But this video has stressed me so much. As I know that Shirk is unforgivable and the biggest sin, I am scared of even practising Salah. During Salah or Prayer, millions of things and thoughts come and go through my mind. In this video, the scholar says that 99% of people are committing shirk, because people who think of someone else during prayer, are doing shirk. I just THINK he is wrong(Its just my opinion, so please correct me if I'm wrong). Shirk is simply worshipping someone else besides Allah, or compare someone else with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). I do not think that I am worshipping of whom I am thinking (Naa'oozu billah). I cannot stop myself from thinking other things. I know I am standing in front of Allah during prayer, but thinking of someone or something else during prayer doesn't make it shirk. If I am wrong so please correct me, I will really appreciate it, and I will try my best to think of nothing but Allah during Prayer(Salah).

Thinking unintentionally of someone will reduce the reward of prayer. It might even happen that the prayer is rejected if it goes on. 

Thoughts come to everyone's mind but you need to resist them and bring back the focus. 

Shirk would be a strong word to use even if it is intentional because it means that someone (whom you are thinking about) you have accepted equal to Allah. So, saying it shirk is wrong because no one is associating a partner besides Allah. 

Yes it is a kind of hypocrisy though to think about someone during prayers. Because prayers are called as a talk with Allah. If you are talking to Allah but thinking about someone else, that's hypocrisy. Your heart and tongue should be in alignment with each other.