Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does Islam allow wars of conquest?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I have read offensive wars in Islam are only allowed in case that another country oppresses the Muslims that live within it, or attacks any other Muslim nation. So are offensive wars that don't come under these rulings allowed? And What if the Muslims king decalres the way claiming he's attacking another nation to spread islam?

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, smma said:

I have read offensive wars in Islam are only allowed in case that another country oppresses the Muslims that live within it, or attacks any other Muslim nation. So are offensive wars that don't come under these rulings allowed? And What if the Muslims king decalres the way claiming he's attacking another nation to spread islam?

Salaam, it can ve clearly proven from quran and hadiths that it is only allowed to kill, attack and conquer in clear and open self defence. Islam is a religion that can not be spread except through peoples hearts and souls. People must be convinced freely and without hate (kurh in Arabic). 

We may not start killing or attacking anybody anywhere.

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, smma said:

Rationally speaking. It is not the way Islam was spread in the time of The Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). So, it's not permitted. 

Even the wars against persian and Roman empire were fought because if muslims had not fought those wars, they would have attacked the nation of Islam. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Zainuu said:

Rationally speaking. It is not the way Islam was spread in the time of The Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). So, it's not permitted. 

Even the wars against persian and Roman empire were fought because if muslims had not fought those wars, they would have attacked the nation of Islam. 

2 hours ago, Allah Seeker said:

Salaam, it can ve clearly proven from quran and hadiths that it is only allowed to kill, attack and conquer in clear and open self defence. Islam is a religion that can not be spread except through peoples hearts and souls. People must be convinced freely and without hate (kurh in Arabic). 

We may not start killing or attacking anybody anywhere.

Thank you both for  the answers, i never doubted this. If either of you can provide hadiths or Quranic verses that i can show to the doubters it would be great

Edited by smma
Grammatical mistake
  • Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, smma said:

Thank you to the answers, i never doubted this. If either of you can provide hadiths or Quranic verses that i can show to the doubters it would be great

Thank you brother. I started working on this topic years ago (jihad) and there are many detailed proofs for this from both the hadiths and quran. I will look if I can find my documents about it, and of i dont I will write here in sha Allah at least some of it. This topic is very important to prove to people how Islam truly is the religion 9f peace. 

• Advanced Member
25 minutes ago, smma said:

Thank you to the answers, i never doubted this. If either of you can provide hadiths or Quranic verses that i can show to the doubters it would be great

I think it would be more appropriate to go through history.

Battle of Uhad was fought near the mountains near medina known as Uhad. This place is near medina which clarifies that The Enemy was on the offensive and the muslims on the defensive. 

Battle of Badr happened because the Quraysh had turned looters and were taking away the wealth and resources of Muslims that were left in Mecca. They were selling this wealth through Caravans of trade being sent to far off locations. 

Khandaq is clear as day that medina was beseiged. 

Khayber happened because the city turned into a center of conspiracy against the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and muslims. They broke the treaty of Hudaibiya and plotted against the muslims by provoking the nearby tribes. 

These are just a few examples. 

All the battles happened for the purpose of defence and not for spreading Islam. Islam spread through mercy and love. 

Edited by Zainuu
2 hours ago, smma said:

Its not allowed to wage a war against a non-Muslim state except if it oppresses Muslims. 

@smma

And, even before wagging such war. It is necessary to follow the peaceful path first as given by Prophet (PBUHHP) and Ahlebait ((عليه السلام)) by:

1. Offering a peaceful treaty;

2. By requesting to investigate the matter and punish the people responsible for the crime according to the law applicable to them in their country;

3. By pushing them through diplomatic pressure to do justice with Muslim community;

4. If all above peaceful ways or any other possible peaceful way fails then it is necessary to help them militarily and protect them and strike fear into the hearts of those who are affecting human life with the condition that such action shall not involve harm to the non-Muslim nation rather their army and terrorists.

• Advanced Member

@smma @Zainuu, here are some raw notes that I did concerning the topic of killing and so on in Islam. Just wanted to add that it specifically mentions in the quran that we may not kill unless we are 'killed' first, which logically means that we can't kill someone who only wants to hurt us, but we must be sure that the person is actually trying to end our lives.

the following notes are actually not the ones I was looking for, as they talk about making an Islamic martial arts system, but they have a bit of the material that pertains to here. There are some very basic materials in the Quran that are missing. But it's a start and will add the Quran verses next in sha Allah. At least some of them

1 - Quran and duas are our biggest weapons

Learn and gather specific killer verses that can be used to crush

Learn and gather specific facilitating verses that can be used to do the opposite for removing obstructions inside and outside the body

2 - Learning from hadiths related to Jehad and devise an exercise program around it. For instance clenching teeth while striking, and follow curricula based on advice by Imam Ali.

3 - Use prophesies as a qibla such as the crawling on snow, to practice crawling. Another basic direction is the sunna of the qa’im, which is the way of the standing-up. Practicing standing up, which is called squats nowadays, as well as horse stances. But doing it in the way of Islam.

4 - The verses talking about not differentiating between any of the prophets gives us free hand to learn from all prophets that ever existed. 

آمَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِن رَّبِّهِ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ ۚ كُلٌّ آمَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَمَلَائِكَتِهِ وَكُتُبِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِّن رُّسُلِهِ ۚ وَقَالُوا سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا ۖ غُفْرَانَكَ رَبَّنَا وَإِلَيْكَ الْمَصِيرُ

This means we can take principles from everywhere, such as the spirit of Allah (Messih) combined with Quran verses. Or from wisdoms of the east, all the way to wisdoms of the west of the native americans. All the while Prophet Mohamed is the seal of this ‘style’.

5 - Use of general themes from Quran and known sayings of the Prophet / his representative Imams as ‘moves’, sequences, forms and mental tunings. 

Example: dangers of Allah’s punishments from the sky and earth

These can be transformed into training programs that program our minds and souls and bodies via the likes of muscle and nervous system memory. (as well as of course 

I would do these all with ‘empty hands’ as we live now in a period where in most countries people are not allowed to buy weapons. At the same time it doesn’t matter, because weapons would potentially only be extensions of the body. 

Anyway, that’s just a brief intro and if interested let me know. I know that I’ve been bombarding you with all kinds of things without much focus, so i apologize. 

Many thanks!

Messenger of Allah: “All good things are with the sword, under the shadow of sword and people cannot be improved without the sword. Swords are the key to paradise or hellfire.” (second hadith in Jihad section of al Kafi Volume 5)

Imam Ali in relation to Muwawya forces: “Attack them before they do so. By, Allah, a people attacked in their own territory are always humiliated.” H 8163, Ch.1, h6 (p.98)

Abu Jaafar: “.. Of such rules is calling to the obedience of Allah, the Majestic, the Most Glorious, instead of obedience to people, to the worship of Allah instead of worshipping other servants of Allah and to accept guardianship of Allah instead of seeking guardianship of the servants of Allah … the residence of a nearby of a city are required to fight only the nearby enemy with fairness and justice exercised ins issues of mobilization. H 8161 Ch.1 h4, .. (p 97)

Imam Ali: “Jihad obligatory .. the worldly affairs as well as religious affairs are never enhances without Jihad.” h11

Prophet: “Fight and leave glory as your legacy for your children.” h12

Prophet after man walked around puffed with pride and and leaving one end hanging between shoulders: “This kind of walking that Allah. the Majestic the Glorious dislikes very much except during fighting for the cause of Allah.”

Types of Jihad: H8174 Ch. 3 h1

2 obligatory:

1- jihad against his soul’d desires to disobey Allah - greatest jihad

2 - jihad against the enemies nearby 

2 optional:

1 - imam when the whole nation has to fight

2 - establishing noble traditions in pursuit of goal

Abu Jaafar H 8175 Ch3 h2

5 swords Allah sent to Mohamed:

3 Unsheathed until war is no more (when sun rises from the west):

4 - withheld

5 - sheathed and has been uncovered, but up to us to decide

1 - sword dealing with polytheists, destroying, capture detain set up surveillance, holding properties offspring way of Prophet, dealing in relation to ransoms

2 - dealing with tax payers among people of the book living in muslims lands

3 -  non-arab pagans, such as turk, daylam, khazar. it then is to strike their necks until they are subdued and captured, then either freed as a favor or in exchange for ransom. 

4 - the withheld sword against rebels who raise issue of interpretations of the text of the law. basically muslims vs. muslim like imam ali, quran 49:9 if two groups of believers fight each other, you must establish reconciliation, and if one group attacks the other after that anyway, then fight them until they submit to rule of God.

5 -  sword in sheath: retaliation for slain person. eye for an eye soul for a soul. ready for the heirs of the slain, application up to us to decide

Jihad al Nafs = greater jihad: H 8176 Ch3 h3

After coming back from war and saying this was minor jihad, he was asked what greater jihad was: 

“It is the Jihad against the desire of one’s own soul to disobey Allah.”

H 8177 Ch 4 h1

prerequisites for doing jihad:

23:3-11

3 And they who turn away from ill speech

4 And they who are observant of zakah

5 And they who guard their private parts

6 Except from their wives or those their right hands possess, for indeed, they will not be blamed -

7 But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors -

8 And they who are to their trusts and their promises attentive

9 And they who carefully maintain their prayers -

10 Those are the inheritors

11 Who will inherit al-Firdaus. They will abide therein eternally.

48:29 ..

Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah ; and those with him are forceful against the disbelievers, merciful among themselves. You see them bowing and prostrating [in prayer], seeking bounty from Allah and [His] pleasure. Their mark is on their faces from the trace of prostration. That is their description in the Torah. And their description in the Gospel is as a plant which produces its offshoots and strengthens them so they grow firm and stand upon their stalks, delighting the sowers - so that Allah may enrage by them the disbelievers. Allah has promised those who believe and do righteous deeds among them forgiveness and a great reward.

25:68 ..

And those who do not invoke with Allah another deity or kill the soul which Allah has forbidden [to be killed], except by right, and do not commit unlawful sexual intercourse. And whoever should do that will meet a penalty.

quran soft on believers and stern on non-believers: 48:29

Indeed, Allah defends those who have believed. Indeed, Allah does not like everyone treacherous and ungrateful. 22:38

Permission [to fight] has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory. 22:39

Fay’ (meaning return) : Whatever goes in the hands of the pagans and then returns .. whatever they had taken through suppression of others. 

because of verse 22:39 the believing people of all times have the permission to fight 

H 8184 Ch 7 h 1 …

The Messenger: “Whoever strikes people with this sword and calls them to himself while among the Muslims there is someone more knowledgeable than he is, such a person is lost and he is a pretender.”

H 8186 Ch 8 h1

Messenger of Allah: in front of small expedition he would make them sit and say to them: 

March in the name of Allah, with Allah, in the way of Allah and upon the way of the Prophet of Allah. 

You must not ..

be excessive

deform people

betray

kill old people

kill children

kill women 

cut down trees unless you are forced to

If anyone of the Muslims of the lower or higher position expresses sympathy toward a man of the pagans, he is given protection until he hears the words of Allah. If thereafter he followed you he then is your brother in religion and if he refused you then must send him to his safe place and ask Allah for assistance

next hadith:

Messenger forbids spreading of poison in lands

H 8189 Ch 8 h3

Messenger of Allah never launched a surprise attack against the enemy during the night.

H 8189 Ch 8 h4

Abu Abdilah said Amir Mumineen said the Messenger said: Upon sending imam Ali to yemen: “You must not fight anyone before calling him to Allah. I swear by Allah, if Allah guides through you one man it will be more excellent for you than all the things on which the sun shines and sets. You, o Ali will have his guardianship”

H 8190 Ch. 8 h 5

Abu Abdilah said that Amir Mumineen would not launch attacks until after the decline of the sun towards the west (afternoon) he would say at such times

the doors of heaven open up

mercy comes forward and victory descends

closer to the night

prone to reduced killing

pursuers return 

fleeing ones disappear

H 8191 Ch. 8 h6

A city of the unbelievers is in the state of war; can it be flooded, set on fire or fired upon with catapults to destroy them even when there are women, children, old people and Muslims taken as prisoners of war and merchants? He said ‘it can be done and it cannot be stopped because of the people you mentioned. The Muslims do not have to pay any compensation or anyone or ransom.’ …

kind of sounds democratic:

H 8199 Ch 9a h5

Abu Abdilah said in book of Ali: Messenger said: Every mobilization that is arranged for an armed confrontation must be continued step by step with legitimacy and justice among the Muslims. It is not permissible to start a war without the permission of the people. The right of the neighbor is like the honor and respect of a mother or father. A believing person does not make peace just for himself, ignoring the other believer during a war for the cause of Allah, except on the basis of justice and equality. 

H 8200 Ch 9b h 1

Options for prisoners 

While war is raging: based on quran 5:33 

Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,

.. all are forms of execution because nothing is done to stop bleeding of cutting hands and feet ..

exiled part is if they are pursued and manage to flee without being caught.

when war is over and enemy is defeated:

choices:

1 - set free as favor to them

2 - pay ransom to set themselves free

3 - kept as slaves

H 8201 Ch  9b h2

When a rebellious group is defeated by the just group. if they have no group to join, they must not be pursued while fleeing, killed or hurting the wounded. If they they have such a group they should be.

H 8202 Ch 9b h 3

Imam Ali dealt with people of Basra 

only attacking advancing troops

not kill the fleeing

not hurt the wounded

whose doors are closed have immunity.

.. he did this because he knew that even though now the shia were stronger, the power balance would shift in favor of their enemies. In times of Qa’im this will change as he knows they will not end up dominant. So he will not apply these rules. 

H 8205 Ch 9c h1

Abu Abdilah: fleeing from 2 men is fleeing, if fleeing from 3 men, it is not considered fleeing.

H 8206 Ch 9c h 2

Messenger said in abrogation of peace treaty with Meccah: anyone who turns themselves into captivity without having sustained a disabling would are not of our people.

.. may not be ransomed from public treasury, but can be ransomed with payment from his own properties.

H 8208 ch 10 h1

challenging to fights in between battle lines can only happen with permission of imam

H 8218 Ch 13a h3 

Imam Ali before every battle would say:

you must not fight the people before they attack you; you by the grace of Allah possess authority and good cause. Your allowing them to attack you first is another valid point in support of the good cause. When you defeat them you must not pursue the fleeing, you must not hurt the wounded and you must not expose anyone’s privacy.

61:4 Indeed, Allah loves those who fight in His cause in a row as though they are a [single] structure joined firmly (saffan ka’inhom bonein marsus).

.. how apply to individuals?

Imam Ali:

H 8219 Ch 13a h4

form in straight lines like solid structures

those with coat of arms in front

fix your back teeth against each other, makes sword strike swifter to the skulls

launch spears, they move swiftly

look with a lower angle, it ties down excitement and relaxes the heart, look at foreheads of horses and faces of men.

silence voices - reduce speech, it keeps failure away and is better for dignity, and less argumentation

banners may not incline and may not be removed

only brave may carry banners (the defenders of what is very important, who can exercise patience in difficult conditions)

people capable of protecting important matters deserve to carry the banner and to provide it protection. others walk in front and next to it, not loosing sight, while not being too far ahead or behind it. 

cooperate with brother in faith

never leave your peer fighting against his brother

don’t run away

there is humiliation

no increase in the longevity of life

no barrier between him and the day of death

destruction of ones way of living

do not fight them before they attack you, when they attack then rise against them

remain calm and dignified

remain steadfast and speak of Allah very often

settle your souls up facing enemy openly to advance and to attack.

When you attack do it with such coordination as if it is one mans’ attack. 

You must be protective, war is bitter

do not allow them to attack you after you retreat or to advance to you after an unpredictable move.

If one surrenders, accept it from him

Seek help from exercising patience, victories from Allah, the Most majestic the most glorious

follow exercising patience

remember Allah very often

don’t turn your backs to them (causing Allah’s anger)

protect brothers who are about to be captured, wounded

And do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden, except by right. And whoever is killed unjustly - We have given his heir authority, but let him not exceed limits in [the matter of] taking life. Indeed, he has been supported [by the law]. 17:33 

H 8232 Ch 15b h1

Abu Abdilah:

best company is that which has four member. The best group for armed expeditions is that which consists of four hundred people. The best army is that which consists of four thousand soldiers. Any army that consists of ten thousand soldiers does not lose the fight because of its number is not small of soldiers.

H 8234 Ch. 15b h3, H8236 Ch 16 h1

initial wars of mohamed:

1 - Badr 313

slogan:  O victory of Allah, come close! come close!

2 - Uhud 600

slogan: O Victory of Allah, come close!

battle of banu al-Nadir: slogan: “o holy spirit, bring comfort!”

banu Qaynaqa: “O our Lord, no one is able to defeat You!”

day of taef slogan: O Ridwan!

day of hunayn: ‘O banu abdAllah! O bani Abd Allah!

3 - Trench - al Ahzab 900, 3000?

‘Ha Mim, They cannot see!’

Dua imam ali before war:

explaining the splendor of fighting in the way of Allah for Allah’s sake

explain the benefits it carries for those successful ones who have sold their souls for the cause to Allah, and Allah’s promise

ask Allah to make me one of them

make me of those who do not flee from battle 

make me of those who do not disregard the promise and agreement with Allah

make me among those who do so in response to His love and to get closer to Him thereby

make it the end of my deed and turning my life to its end

turn the battle to deserve His pleasure and remove therewith my sins

ask to be placed among those who are alive with their Lord receiving sustenance because of the acts of the disobedient

under banner of truth and flag of guidance when advancing to support them without turning my back to enemy, or move around in doubts

seek His protection in battle against

cowardice in frightening conditions

weakness during the change with champions

seeking protections against the sins that turn good deeds invalid, the sins that feed doubts or make one advance without certainty after which efforts end in destruction of deeds and they become un accepted

wasila text:

p126 kafi 5? h 8216 ch 13a h1

He would command his family to perform salat and himself would exercise patience during performing salat. Thereafter Zakat along with salat is made a means of getting nearer to Allah for the people of al-Islam and upon the people of al-Islam 

H 8219 Ch 13a h4

Seek help from exercising petite, victories from Allah, the Most majestic the most glorious

you must not turn your backs to them 8:15 quran

And He taught Adam the names - all of them. Then He showed them to the angels and said, "Inform Me of the names of these, if you are truthful." 2:31

.. importance of names for forms, stances, sequences. maneuvers, campaigns, slogans 

Splitting the sea, saving the good, drowning the bad

H 14590 - Muhammad Bin Yahya, from Ahmad Bin Muhammad, from Ibn Mahboun from Al-A’ala Bin Razeyn, from Muhammad Bin Muslim and Al-Hajjaal from Al-A’ala, from Muhammad Bin Muslim who said: 

‘Abu Ja’farasws said to me: ‘Everything used to be water, and Hisazwj Throne was upon the water. So Allahazwj Commanded the water so the fire was ignited. Then Heazwj Commanded the fire, so it was extinguished and from its smoldering a smoke arose. So Allahazwj Mighty and Majestic Created the Heavens from that smoke, and Allahazwj Mighty and Majestic Created the earth from the ashes. Then the water, and the fire, and the wind contended. So the water said, ‘I am the great army of Allahazwj’, and the fire said, ‘I am the great army of Allahazwj, and the wind said, ‘I am the great army of Allahazwj’. So Allahazwj Mighty and Majestic Revealed unto the wind: “You are Myazwj Great army’. 

Kafi vol 8

Rigz (look up) from the Sky!

فَأَنزَلْنَا عَلَى الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا رِجْزًا مِّنَ السَّمَاءِ بِمَا كَانُوا يَفْسُقُونَ 2:59 

“Be apes despised”

وَلَقَدْ عَلِمْتُمُ الَّذِينَ اعْتَدَوْا مِنكُمْ فِي السَّبْتِ فَقُلْنَا لَهُمْ كُونُوا قِرَدَةً خَاسِئِينَ 2:65 

Humiliating punishment:

ۚ وَلِلْكَافِرِينَ عَذَابٌ مُّهِينٌ

بَدِيعُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ ۖ وَإِذَا قَضَىٰ أَمْرًا فَإِنَّمَا يَقُولُ لَهُ كُن فَيَكُونُ 2:117

• Advanced Member

"

-  non-arab pagans, such as turk, daylam, khazar. it then is to strike their necks until they are subdued and captured, then either freed as a favor or in exchange for ransom. 

"

What is the meaning of this? Is Allah giving permission to attack pagans?

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, smma said:

What do Sunnis say to justify the campaigns of ummayads into north Africa, Spain, France, Afghanistan, India and central Asia? They were purely wars of greed. 

Ummayyads were not an Islamic government but a Kingdom. 

A system of Empire came within the Muslims through the Umayyads only. 

Whatever they did was for the greed of power, satisfaction of the self and hoarding of wealth.

In ziyarat of Ashura, Banu Umayya has been heavily cursed. 

Their wars were not Jihad but only bloodshed because their acquisition of throne was not legal. And they had no legitimacy whatsoever. 

• Advanced Member

here are some self-explanatory verses by this random translator. 

these prove the following points:

• killing is not allowed except for a good reason
  • Killing is only allowed against those who try to kill you
  • If those who are trying to kill you stop, you must also stop

Do not take a life—made sacred by Allah—except with right. If anyone is killed unjustly, We have given their heirs the authority, but do not let them exceed limits in retaliation, for they are already supported ˹by law˺. 17:33

Fight (Kill - Arabic word QTL ) in the cause of Allah against those who wage war against you, but do not exceed the limits. Allah does not like transgressors. 2:190

Fight (Kill) against them until there is no more persecution, and devotion will be to Allah ˹alone˺. If they stop, let there be no hostility except against the aggressors. 2:193

Permission is granted to those being fought, for they have been wronged. And Allah is truly Most Capable of helping them . 22:39

• Advanced Member

@Allah Seeker Great Brother!!! I just recall a letter of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) to his soldiers in the Battle of Siffin

May Allah bless you. 

@smma for your reference too. The below letter can give you an idea about the rules of Jihad through sword in Islam. 

Letter 14: To his soldiers before the Battle of Siffin

Given to the army before the encounter with the enemy at Siffin 1

Do not fight them unless they initiate the fighting, because, by the grace of Allah, you are in the right and to leave them till they begin fighting will be another point from your side against them. If, by the will of Allah, the enemy is defeated then do not kill the runner away, do not strike a helpless person, do not finish off the wounded. Do not inflict pain on women even though they may attack your honour with filthy words and abuse your officers, because they are weak in character, mind and intelligence. We have been ordered to desist from them although they may be unbelievers. Even in the pre-Islamic (al-jahiliyyah) period if a man struck a woman with a stone or a stick he was rebuked along with his offspring after him.

The rulings as mentioned in this sermon are the most accurate rules for Jihad. 

Jihad un Nafs reminds me of the Battle of Khandaq. 

When Imam Ali (عليه السلام) cut the legs of Amr ibn Abdewad, Amr spitted on the face of Mawla Ali (عليه السلام). Ali (عليه السلام) stepped back and started roaming for sometime. He went back again to Amr. Amr pleaded asked him to kill him because the pain is unbearable. 

Imam then explained what he did and why he did so:

He said that,"I broke your legs because you mercilessly removed the legs of your horse when I asked you to step down. I left you because when you spitted on me, a feeling of revenge came into my mind. So, I repented before Allah (because I am fighting for Allah) and now I will kill you to please Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)."

This is a lesson for us on Jihad. 

Jihad un Nafs is the major thing. 

• Advanced Member
25 minutes ago, smma said:

"

-  non-arab pagans, such as turk, daylam, khazar. it then is to strike their necks until they are subdued and captured, then either freed as a favor or in exchange for ransom. 

"

What is the meaning of this? Is Allah giving permission to attack pagans?

Here is the entire hadith:

H 8175, Ch. 3, h 2 Through the same chain of narrator he has narrated from al-Minqariy from Hafs ibn Ghiyath who has said the following: “Abu ‘Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, has said that

once a man asked my father, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about the wars in which Amir al-Mu’minin, had taken part. The man asking the question was of our followers. Abu Ja‘far, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, replied, ‘

Allah sent Muhammad, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, with five swords. Three of them are taken out of their sheath and they are not sheathed until war is no more. The day without war will not come until the sun rises from the west. When the sun rises from its westerly direction all people will enjoy peace on that day. On that day a soul’s belief will be of no benefit if it did not exist before or has not gained any good thereby. One of those swords is withheld and the other one remains in its sheath and he has uncovered it on people other than us but it is up to us to decide. ‘Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Glorious has said, “Destroy the pagans wherever you find them; capture, detain them and set up surveillance over their activities. If they repent (accept the faith), perform Salat (prayer) and pay Zakat, they are your brothers in religion.” (9:11) The choice for such people is only acceptance of al-Islam or destruction. Their properties and offspring are held and detained and are dealt with in the way the Messenger of Allah had done. He detained, forgave or released them in exchange for ransom. ‘The second sword is in matters of dealing with the taxpayers. Allah, the most Blessed, the most High, has said, “Speak to people good words.” (2:83). This verse was revealed about the tax payers. Later it was amended by the following verse, “Fight those, who do not believe in Allah and in the Day of Judgment and do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful. Thus, they do not follow the true religion. However, they are of the followers of the book. (This is the case) until they agree to pay taxes by their own hands with humbleness.” (9:30) Those of them who live in the Muslims lands must pay taxes or be destroyed, their offspring detained and no Fay’ (ransom) is accepted from them. But if they agree to pay taxes it becomes unlawful for us to detain them or touch their properties. It becomes lawful to marry from them. Those of such people who live in the war zones can be detained and their properties withheld. It is not lawful to marry from them and they are given the choices of either moving to the lands of the Muslims, pay taxes or be destroyed. ‘The third sword is to deal thereby with non-Arab pagans, such as al-Turk, al-Daylam and al-Khazar. Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Glorious, in the beginning of the Chapter that speaks of “those who disbelieve” has stated their story and said, “It, then, is to strike their necks until they are subdued and captured, thereafter either freed as a favor or in exchange for ransom until the war is no more.” (47:4) His words, “freed as a favor” means after they are detained and His words, “or in exchange for ransom” means in exchange for protection of the interests of the Muslim people. In the case of such people the choice is either destruction or acceptance of al-Islam. It is not lawful for us to marry from them as long as they live in the war zone. ‘The withheld sword is to deal thereby with the rebels and people who raise the issue of interpretations of the texts of the law. Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Glorious, has said, “If two groups of believers fight each other, you must establish reconciliation between them. If one group rebels against the other then you must fight the rebellious one until it submits to the command of Allah.” (49:9) When this was revealed the Messenger of Allah said, “Among you there will be those who fight to establish proper interpretation of (the text of law) just as their fighting to establish the revelation of the text of the law.” The Holy Prophet then was asked, “Who will be such fighters?” He (the Messenger of Allah) replied, “One who is stitching his shoes”, meaning thereby Amir al-Mu’minin, ‘Alayhi al-Salam. ‘Ammar ibn Yasar has said, “I have fought under this banner alongside the Messenger of Allah three times and this is the fourth time. I swear by Allah, if they beat us to make us retreat even all the way to the twigs of Bahrain, we will still remain certain of our truthfulness and their following falsehood. Dealings by ’Amir al-Mu’minin ‘Alayhi al-Salam, with them were just like those of the Holy Prophet toward the people of Makkah on the day of its conquest. Their offspring were not detained, and he said, ‘Those who keep their doors closed are protected.’ Those who put down their arms are protected. So also did Amir al-Mu’minin, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, on the day of Basra. He announced among them, ‘You must not detain any of their offspring, you must not attack the wounded, you must not pursue the fleeing and those who close their doors and put down their arms are all protected.’” ‘The sword in the sheath is the sword whereby retaliation for a slain person takes place. Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Glorious, has said, “A soul for a soul and an eye for an eye . . .” (5:45) He has made it ready for the heirs of the slain person but the application of its rule is left up to us to decide. These are the swords that Allah sent to Muhammad, O Allah grant salawat (favors and compensation to Muhammad and his family worthy of their services to your cause). Whoever rejects them or anyone of them or anything of their characteristics or rules has rejected what Allah has revealed to Muhammad, O Allah, grant compensation to Muhammad and his family worthy of their services to Your cause.’”

What do you think of the hadith? Do you understand it? i'm not 100% sure, and don't remember it much.